• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Gamepass is bad for the industry then why has nobody noticed besides GAF?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
The service has been available for more than 2 years now and more and more devs are putting more and more games on Gamepass.

If it was so bad, wouldn't they have noticed by now that it's killing their business? How come the only who've noticed are the armchair devs?

Who said it is killing the business or their business? Looks like a healthy market to me.

All I see is Microsoft giving away free shit for the time being. Game Pass is where Microsoft gives you free shit, until Satya figures out users won't like it when the gravy train ends.

The fun doesn't start until Uncle Satya tells Lil Phil to turn off the gravy train.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The service has been available for more than 2 years now and more and more devs are putting more and more games on Gamepass.

If it was so bad, wouldn't they have noticed by now that it's killing their business? How come the only who've noticed are the armchair devs?

It's worth keeping in mind that a lot of devs that are supporting GamePass are only doing so with older content that's relatively low-risk. For newer games, Microsoft is paying an insane amount of money - more than is probably sustainable long-term.

Vawn

Banned

You didn't think you were being heard enough in the other thread on this subject, so you created a second to say the same thing?

As was ALREADY discussed in the other thread, some publishers are questioning how well this subscription model will work.

Last edited:

Simpkin92

I’m all for game pass. I know that I played Halo Wars, Halo Wars 2, and Outer Worlds on game pass. All of which I never had any intention to buy. I do plan to buy the future Outer Worlds DLC when it drops thanks to liking the game.

Are their any numbers on how much a studio is paid for their game to be on game pass? (I’m sure this number varies wildly on a game by game basis, just curious if there are any examples).

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Developers are worried about services like GP devaluing big budget games. From a screenshot on Twitter

mZ85zOH.jpg

Aion002

Don’t fully know the business side to be honest. But I don’t know from within myself that it devalues games as far as personal feelings go.
I know a few people who just won't buy new games anymore, because they eventually might get on game pass for 1 dollar per month.

If developers are getting paid enough by MS, fuck yeah! Keep going!

If not, how long this will start affecting games sales? Or how long MS can keep paying games studios?

I think most people are just curious about the impacts of GP and if it is sustainable for a whole generation and stuff... Also, is MS getting profit on that? How? People are just curious.

Last edited:
I'm not worroed about long term damage to the industry, but I am wondering how long until they start jacking the price up to cover costs and make that all important infinite profit growth for the shareholders.

Hobbygaming

Do we want a future of Uncharteds, God of Wars, Cyberpunks, Resident Evils or will we be ok with subscription gaming lowering the funding of games

Less improved graphics, smaller worlds, less innovation, etc

Vote with your wallets people, buy good games

NickFire

I have no idea how it will play out. But I know this. I never had the chance to really use gamepass because I wasn't willing to add a second console once it came out. But as of now I'm only leaning towards one next gen console with a final decision TBD once details released. Either way, I fully expect both consoles to have some offering like gamepass.

When it comes to paying $60 for a game, I'm already done buying any more games for this generation because I know I'm getting a new console in 8 -9 months. If I become conditioned to paying $15 or so a month for a robust service like gamepass, the days of buying games are probably over.

Vawn

Banned
I'm not worroed about long term damage to the industry, but I am wondering how long until they start jacking the price up to cover costs and make that all important infinite profit growth for the shareholders.

It won't make prices go up, as games become devalued (though inflation could do that).

What it is more likely do is to save money on the other end - bring production costs down, resulting in very few mega-million dollar budget games. Everything could slowly slide to more of a AA level.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They won't jack up the price, but they will definitely decrease production costs. Meaning games will become more generic and developed with a smaller budget.

For indie games that are developed on the cheap it can be a good thing, but for AAA games it's very concerning.

Hobbygaming

I think the gloom and doom ignores how markets work. If there is demand for AAA big-budget games that cost $60 then somebody will make them, regardless of how well subscription services do.
I can agree with this but at the same time the risk of making an AAA title would get even scarier

DanielsM

Banned
The rental services really only work on closed environments as well, as the large publishers will just release their own games via their own service i.e. EA Access. Once everyone gives Xbox as a Hardware its final rites, the whole rental program comes to an end with it. Of course, Microsoft could use it to rent their own games on PC and might be able to find smaller developers or publishers to tag along, but its never going to be large revenue stream.

Generally, there is no reason for Microsoft to be the middleman on most of the third party AA/AAA games once you get away from the closed hardware.

AAA games are funded off of sales, digital sales are the best... generally over the first 3-6 months.... some small revenue stream for older content is not out of the question.

Right now, enjoy the free shit while its lasts... it won't last forever.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The rental services really only work on closed environments as well, as the large publishers will just release their own games via their own service i.e. EA Access. Once everyone gives Xbox as a Hardware its final rites, the whole rental program comes to an end with it. Of course, Microsoft could use it to rent their own games on PC and might be able to find smaller developers or publishers to tag along, but its never going to be large revenue stream.

Generally, there is no reason for Microsoft to be the middleman on most of the third party AA/AAA games once you get away from the closed hardware.

AAA games are funded off of sales, digital sales are the best... generally over the first 3-6 months.... some small revenue stream for older content is not out of the question.

The entire distribution of Digital media would beg to differ.

In basic terms, it would appear that developers are missing out on full price sales, so cheap slobs like myself can play their games for £3.99 per month.

The deficit must be being made up somewhere along the line, though.
Its the perfect model for a console manufacturer which sells poorly and have zero interest in good AAA first party development

But 99% of Gamepass games are 3rd party.. 🤔

You didn't think you were being heard enough in the other thread on this subject, so you created a second to say the same thing?

As was ALREADY discussed in the other thread, some publishers are questioning how well this subscription model will work.

You're one of those guys who will repeat over and over again that Gamepass is bad for gaming yet have zero figures or arguments that prove it.

I was actually hoping to get higher quality responses in this thread than yours actually.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Shin

Banned
You answered your own question OP, open your eyes.
Hint: 2, 4, 9 and 11.

Last edited:

wolywood

Developers are worried about services like GP devaluing big budget games. From a screenshot on Twitter

mZ85zOH.jpg

Like the music TV and film industries, some will adapt to (and thrive on) the new streaming model, and others won't

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way for devs to make money with game pass is to sell dlc's... Game pass only exist because there is DLC's and micro-transactions in games... (I know there is games without dlc's in the game pass but this is a minority and 9 times out of 10 they have dlc's or micro-transactions...)

Hobbygaming

Yet you posted a tweet from Jason I dunno what with a random response from a random dev probably developing games for the Ouya... That wasn't even a nice try :)
The point of my screenshot wasn't even about that ladies reply 😂 it was about Jason saying that developers are terrified of subscription gaming

So we as gamers, should have concerns too :)

LMJ

I am confuse...

How outside of not owning your games is Gamepass bad In any possible way, I mean maybe it might hurt some games sales (Crackdown 3 IE) but I cant really think of any other negatives to this streaming service?

I posted how devs SHOULD be doing services and exclusives but i would bet they are getting less than 1/4 of what i was saying making only the store fronts $$$. They are the creators, they have the product, they should be rolling paper left and right. Simple economics and of course, the ability to negotiate.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I can agree with this but at the same time the risk of making an AAA title would get even scarier
While that would make people less likely to make them wouldn't it also make those who do make them more likely to make sure they're making a great game that will succeed in the current market? Make them more likely to release the real deal instead of a half-a-game that needs 2 years of patching to reach the original vision?

Risk is good, as long as the potential to be appropriately rewarded is there too. Keeps people from phoning it in.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
AAA has already gotten scarier and less prevalent before Game Pass. AA development has become over crowded and impossible to stand out in any meaningful way without a lot of luck involved. Game Pass isn't somehow the only thing that with magically change development. THe entire industry changes all the time.

Top Bottom