• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Gamepass is bad for the industry then why has nobody noticed besides GAF?

DanielsM

Banned
Friday OP strikes again

He wanted absolute surrend, its very strange.

Really what he is looking is for everyone to say that,"Game Pass is not a rental service and its the greatest thing ever!". Very abnormal behavior, I really don't see the difference between that and PS Now, I mean if they were equal price I would probably go with PS now if someone put a gun to my head.... but its just a rental service. Yet, you ask simple questions like, if its so great why is Microsoft selling a $119.88 a year service for $1, its because they are trying to get customers. Obviously its not so great at $119.99.

The funny thing is, I'm not even one of the ones that said it was bad, I said it was a nothing burger. :goog_mad: They get even madder if you tell them its basically an rental program with limited revenue potential.

They attack me and I:
- don't think its bad as the OP suggested
- see it as a simple rental program, which is what it is like EA Access, uPlay+, PS Now, etc... although there are differences between them all
- I don't see where it works outside of non-Xbox as a Hardware in the real world
- limited revenue from video game rental services... the clue for this is nobody wanted to sign up for XBGP at $119.88 or PS Now at $99.99 a year... they have to drop the prices drastically.

I actually agree with the OP on some of it, he just wants a desired end result..... Game Pass is not simple rental service and its the greatest thing to gaming since ever!

Last edited:

Pallas

Have you seen their sales numbers lately? Or how low these games chart on NPD, etc?

Doesn’t take away the fact that they still have Physical and digital copies of full games if you want to own them.

He wanted absolute surrender, its very strange.

Really what he is looking is for everyone to say that,"Game Pass is not a rental service and its the greatest thing ever!". Very abnormal behavior, I really don't see the difference between that and PS Now, I mean if they were equal price I would probably go with PS now if someone put a gun to my head.... but its just a rental service. Yet, you ask simple questions like, if its so great why is Microsoft selling a $119.88 a year service for $1, its because they are trying to get customers. Obviously its not so great at $119.99.

The funny thing is, I'm not even one of the ones that said it was bad, I said it was a nothing burger. :goog_mad: They get even madder if you tell them its basically an rental program with limited revenue potential.

They attack me and I:
- don't think its bad as the OP suggested
- see it as a simple rental program, which is what it is like EA Access, uPlay+, PS Now, etc... although there are differences between them all
- I don't see where it works outside of non-Xbox as a Hardware in the real world
- limited revenue from video game rental services... the clue for this is nobody wanted to sign up for XBGP at $119.88 or PS Now at $99.99 a year... they have to drop the prices drastically.

I actually agree with the OP on some of it, he just wants a desired end result..... Game Pass is not simple rental service and its the greatest thing to gaming since ever!

It’s not the greatest thing but it’s also not the end of all things or the worst thing to happen like some try to make it out to be.

You are in every Gamepass thread, downplaying, attacking it, saying it’s not sustainable yet it’s been alive and kicking for two years now.

Oh and if it was doing as bad as some would hope, I’m pretty sure big brother Nadella would shut it down(because who wouldn’t?)

DanielsM

Banned
It’s not the greatest thing but it’s also not the end of all things or the worst thing to happen like some try to make it out to be.

Agree.

You are in every Gamepass thread, downplaying, attacking it, saying it’s not sustainable yet it’s been alive and kicking for two years now.
Actually I said the opposite in this thread, its not really a real business model.... but Microsoft can continue funding it losing big money or not indefinitely. (That's actually the Xbox product for the last 20 years) Microsoft can fund it indefinitely, but at some point Satya wants service revenue (see his book) that is generating positive cash flow. The hardware is meaningless to Satya, although strategy wise they may release hardware.

Oh and if it was doing as bad as some would hope, I’m pretty sure big brother Nadella would shut it down(because who wouldn’t?)

Obviously Satya has given him (Phil) money and time to roll out services, yes, if Phil can't find service revenue.... the axeman will probably cometh.

I actually generally agree with you.

The only business there is... .is game services.... I say good luck with that, but I will let Phil dream a little longer... the axeman gave Phil a stay of execution.

Its not all-in on gaming, its all-in on game services.

A few months later, Spencer took over as head of Xbox. Whatever jubilation he felt was short-lived; a few weeks into the job, he got a call from Satya Nadella... 'I don't actually know a whole lot about why we're in gaming,' Nadella told him... Many developers who had worked on the Xbox One felt let down by Microsoft's big vision; it was, as some told Spencer, not in line with 'the soul' of what Xbox was. 'Satya was transparent that there could be a future where gaming isn't a business that Microsoft should be in,' Spencer told me... He looked at where Xbox had failed, and how the brand could be saved — if at all. When he finally called Nadella back, it was to say this: 'If we're going to stay in the gaming space, then let's make sure we're all-in. The last thing I wanted to do was run the gaming organization here as kind of an afterthought of the company and kind of half-in, half-out. Let's go fix who we are.'

Last edited:
Have you seen their sales numbers lately? Or how low these games chart on NPD, etc?

So you’re saying they’ll lower the quality of games that already don’t sell well? That’s a bold strategy, Cotton. Let’s see if it works out for them.

Vawn

Banned
Doesn’t take away the fact that they still have Physical and digital copies of full games if you want to own them.

Who said otherwise?

But the focus is shifting to be good enough for their rental service as they know very few people are actually buying these particular games for those prices.

Vawn

Banned
So you’re saying they’ll lower the quality of games that already don’t sell well? That’s a bold strategy, Cotton. Let’s see if it works out for them.

I'm saying they're making games with the understanding they don't need to be good enough to sell. They are already doing this. Just look at the difference in quality of Xbox games compared to both PlayStation and Nintendo.

It's made for TV movies vs AAA Blockbuster theater movies.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

What’s the problem with the hardware? All information points to it being more powerful than the PS5. That would indicate to me that Sony is the one that fucked up.

A more powerful console with its flagship launch titles only requiring a 10$ subscription. Sounds like a winner to me.
images

I'm saying they're making games with the understanding they don't need to be good enough to sell. They are already doing this. Just look at the difference in quality of Xbox games compared to both PlayStation and Nintendo.

They can make those games just like Sony can. They just haven’t had the studios to do it. Now they do. Or maybe you’re right and devs are just farting around for half their work days and whipping up filler software the other half. What a colossal load of nonsense.

Another swing and a miss for anyone trying to rationally explain why game quality and investment would dip thanks to GamePass.

DanielsM

Banned

People aren't paying $100+ for a video game subscription, most don't even pay for online at $40-60. The first day games, have to either be half-ass releases or so spread out that most people won't bother or cherry pick. The math just doesn't compute. Like my example with EA, there really is no way for them to release all their games on a subscription day one and generate more than they would be as sales.

They're never going to listen to ya... they're getting free shit and somehow they think all the big publishers got it wrong. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

They can make those games just like Sony can. They just haven’t had the studios to do it. Now they do. Or maybe you’re right and devs are just farting around for half their work days and whipping up filler software the other half. What a colossal load of nonsense.

Another swing and a miss for anyone trying to rationally explain why game quality and investment would dip thanks to GamePass.
They been buying studios since the OG XB days.
How long do we have to wait to get a stellar RARE game?

Vawn

Banned
They been buying studios since the OG XB days.
How long do we have to wait to get a stellar RARE game?

And now they're buying AA and indie studios with mediocre track records. And the Xbox diehards are saying we just need to wait for these studios to turn into Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, Sony Santa Monica, Bend, Media Molecule, Polyphony, etc.

Good luck with that. 🤣

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pretty sure Xbox gamers don’t care for PD who make racing games with 75 meta critic scores or MM who hasn’t released a game since LBP.

most of the rest of the games are SP narratives you can beat in a weekend and half of them are on PC PS Now anyway.

it’s also easy for you to condense PS software since Sony has gutted their studios, getting rid of the junky studios and franchises. Sony has shut down more studios than are even left.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Pretty sure Xbox gamers don’t care for PD who make racing games with 75 meta critic scores or MM who hasn’t released a game since LBP.

most of the rest of the games are SP narratives you can beat in a weekend and half of them are on PC PS Now anyway.

it’s also easy for you to condense PS software since Sony has gutted their studios, getting rid of the junky studios and franchises. Sony has shut down more studios than are even left.
yeah yeah us xbros love mediocre indie games you beat in 3 hours, the 90th installment in the gow franchise, yearly forza games and the 27th halo game. Much better. crackdown 3 was also great am i rite guiz?

VertigoOA

Banned
99.8% of my game time is spent on PS4. I have a one x for gamespass and any third party releases I’d be interested in, as I’m out of PS4 HdD space and prefer the slight increase in graphical fidelity.

Gamespass is 10$ a month and has amazing value and a nice variety of games to choose from. I’ve played many of those games already or got the ones I always wanted heavily discounted in some psn flash sale at an earlier time. Still doesn’t stop me from claiming that gamespass is the best subscription service to come to gaming yet. I could totally see myself being content with a gamespass subscription and the odd 1 or 2 new release purchases I’d make a year. It’s just another feature that makes me want to get a series X over a Ps5... altho the biggest factor is the increased horsepower.

The idea that Sony has superior first party output is a bit bullshit anyway. I’d rather play Gears than any Uncharted game. However, Bloodborne is the best single player game of the gen but even with that said exclusives between the two are near meaningless when third party software dwarfs both their efforts nearly across the board in most genres.

The faux outrage about it killing the industry is just nonsense when you all know damn well that aside from MS’ own games most of the other software featured is already ancient. CDPR is not being hurt by having Witcher 3 on Gamespass when it already sold thru... what... 25 million?

It’ll help move hardware. It’ll be a consistent revenue stream and will help Ms’ bottom line.

Last edited:
And now they're buying AA and indie studios with mediocre track records. And the Xbox diehards are saying we just need to wait for these studios to turn into Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, Sony Santa Monica, Bend, Media Molecule, Polyphony, etc.

Good luck with that. 🤣

Mediocre results? What studios are you thinking of? They all might not have made blockbusters but their games have mostly been good to great.

I mean, you listed fucking Bend 😆

Pallas

People aren't paying $100+ for a video game subscription, most don't even pay for online at $40-60. The first day games, have to either be half-ass releases or so spread out that most people won't bother or cherry pick. The math just doesn't compute. Like my example with EA, there really is no way for them to release all their games on a subscription day one and generate more than they would be as sales.

[b{They're never going to listen to ya... they're getting free shit and somehow they think all the big publishers got it wrong.[/b] :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Who complains about cheap, free stuff? I’m not saying big publishers have it wrong, they have their methods(like charging $60 for unfinished, buggy games a lot of times) and Microsoft isn’t excluded in that practice.

I guess my main gripe/argument in this is people thinking Gamepass devalues and destroys the gaming market/industry when honestly its been destroying itself since this gen, not only with under powered launch consoles but withgames that require large patches just to launch it and even then it may still be a mess.

but that’s probably for another topic in itself. lol

Good luck with that. 🤣

You act like none of Sony’s acquired studios were just small time studios before being part of Sony, that they were the best on the day they were created. lol

octiny

Banned
yeah yeah us xbros love mediocre indie games you beat in 3 hours, the 90th installment in the gow franchise, yearly forza games and the 27th halo game. Much better. crackdown 3 was also great am i rite guiz?

You're right.

I much rather play the 25th uncharted, 40th GOW, wait 30 years for a meta 75 racing game & simply can't wait to see all the wholesome pandering in LOU2. Plz don't censor me. My excitement can't be contained, but I have doubts in seeing if they can top being a FedEx courier in a game. Absolute masterpiece.

brap

Banned
You're right.

I much rather play the 25th uncharted, 40th GOW, wait 30 years for a meta 75 racing game & simply can't wait to see all the wholesome pandering in LOU2. Plz don't censor me. My excitement can't be contained, but I have doubts in seeing if they can top being a FedEx courier in a game. Absolute masterpiece.
Looks like I struck a nerve :messenger_blowing_kiss:
Also it's funny that Uncharted has less games than gears and halo lmao.

TBiddy

You're right.

Ignore the troll. It’s better for your blood pressure.
Sony could release whatever they want, and brap would still hail it as a masterpiece.

brap

Banned
Ignore the troll. It’s better for your blood pressure.
Sony could release whatever they want, and brap would still hail it as a masterpiece.
Whatever makes you feel better. FWIW I'm not looking forward to the lesbians of us or that samurai game made by a bunch of white people. Keep feel persecuted though because somebody dare criticize your console box of choice.

octiny

Banned
Looks like I struck a nerve :messenger_blowing_kiss:
Also it's funny that Uncharted has less games than gears and halo lmao.

You can strike my nerve any day of the week 😘

But you do realize Uncharted has more stand alone games in their series than Gears of War, right? 😂

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Uncharted: Fight for Fortune
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Uncharted: Fortune Hunter
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Gears of War: Judgement
Gears of War 4
Gears of War 5
Gear Tactics (not released yet)

Witcher 3 had sold thru 20 million units before appearing on gamespass.

R* recently added the underwhelming title Grand Theft Auto 5 to Game Pass, don't know if you've heard of it? Anyway, that's the last we'll see of them in the industry. They are fucked. Game Pass will basically ensure that they get no sales of this title, none.

people have to realize that the people that love gamepass are living in the present. They cant see that if you change the consumption model. Games will start being developed for that model. If publishers are being paid per hour customers consume, then AAA 10 hour games wouldn't be worth your time. RPGS, sims, multiplayer, etc games would be the main if not the only focus. EA probably loves the game pass model.
Anyways you cheap bastards can definitely love gamepass. I would perfer if PSNOW is where Sony just dumps all their old games. PS1, PS2, and PS3.

The Shift

Banned

Sony's gaming accolades are rarely for gameplay systems new or unique - the development strengths at Sony are for storyline, voice acting, animation, motion capture, musical score. Those titles cater to audiences that think the Marvel Cinematic Universe is high art. Probably wise to describe those titles as interactive stories, not videogames.

Tetris, Age Of Empires, Eve Online all demonstrate involved gameplay systems without the need for a hokey made for Netflix storyline tacked on. Sony play to thier strengths in making movies (shit ones mainly) and use that experience to inform the interactive story developers they currently employ as videogame developers.

Sony's pursuit to make games into interactive movies is far more detrimental to the videogame industry than a rental feature.

Same goes for Microsoft, Ubisoft, EA and so on - go and make fucking movies if that's what you want.

Now go, eat - the blood is in the water.

* bare in mind I can't stand any story exposition in games - I tried to play Frostpunk recently and there was a story cutscene at the beginning that fast outstayed its welcome. I quickly uninstalled the game and moved on with my life.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Sony's gaming accolades are rarely for gameplay systems new or unique - the development strengths at Sony are for storyline, voice acting, animation, motion capture, musical score. Those titles cater to audiences that think the Marvel Cinematic Universe is high art. Probably wise to describe those titles as interactive stories, not videogames.

Tetris, Age Of Empires, Eve Online all demonstrate involved gameplay systems without the need for a hokey made for Netflix storyline tacked on. Sony play to thier strengths in making movies (shit ones mainly) and use that experience to inform the interactive story developers they currently employ as videogame developers.

Sony's pursuit to make games into interactive movies is far more detrimental to the videogame industry than a rental feature.

Same goes for Microsoft, Ubisoft, EA and so on - go and make fucking movies if that's what you want.

Now go, eat - the blood is in the water.

* bare in mind I can't stand any story exposition in games - I tried to play Frostpunk recently and there was a story cutscene at the beginning that fast outstayed its welcome. I quickly uninstalled the game and moved on with my life.
Did Sony hurt your mom or something?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Phil Spencer stated again in an interview that Game Pass subscribers play and buy more games than non-subscribers. So I wouldn't say it's bad for the industry, it's actually better for it...

gioGAF

Because people in general are dumb and they don't look ahead, just at what is immediately in their face at the moment. The same reason they don't see a problem with having companies sell their data, track them, exporting all of their jobs to other countries just so they can save a few bucks, buying expensive shit they can't afford on credit, etc.

Last edited:

Aion002

To be fair, games were already getting devalued by third party suppliers like GameStop who made a killing on used games so this wasn’t something started with Gamepass with people not buying new copies because the value of those games(especially those that hadn’t perform well, which lets face it was a lot of games) plummet within days or weeks.

But I agree, I don’t know why developers are scared if Microsoft is paying them to host their games but it’s also something posted by Jason Schreier.
I feel that some developers are afraid that if GP gets big and becomes the biggest thing on the market, since MS is(or will be) paying games on GP according to the "demand", the unpopular games will get less paid, getting the short end of the stick.

I mean, people rather wait the games on GP, other than buying.

Just an hypothesis:

Sure, smaller games, most of times, do sell less, but they do have a fanbase that will keep them afloat... If this fanbase gets smaller, thanks to GP, and MS decides that they are less worthy.... they will get fucked.

What MS is trying to do might be considered a nightmare for developers. Imagine a generation were game pass is the king, so MS decides which game she should pay a lot to be on the service and which is not that "worthy", a new game made by a small studio like Disco Elysium, would definitly suffer from it, if consumers find GP to be the only thing they need.

Again, just an hypothesis, but a scary one for game makers.

I feel that some developers are afraid that if GP gets big and becomes the biggest thing on the market, since MS is(or will be) paying games on GP according to the "demand", the unpopular games will get less paid, getting the short end of the stick.

I mean, people rather wait the games on GP, other than buying.

Just an hypothesis:

Sure, smaller games, most of times, do sell less, but they do have a fanbase that will keep them afloat... If this fanbase gets smaller, thanks to GP, and MS decides that they are less worthy.... they will get fucked.

What MS is trying to do might be considered a nightmare for developers. Imagine a generation were game pass is the king, so MS decides which game she should pay a lot to be on the service and which is not that "worthy", a new game made by a small studio like Disco Elysium, would definitly suffer from it, if consumers find GP to be the only thing they need.

Again, just an hypothesis, but a scary one for game makers.

I don't understand how people don't seem to understand that devs are willingly putting their games on the platform.

Nobody from MS showed up at their home with a gun and forced them to put the game on Gamepass.

I know it's an hypothesis but just doesn't make sense. If I was an artist and X service is inherently bad for me why would I put my work on it? Especially since I don't have to as GP is only an option in a see of other revenue options.

Last edited:
Actually, Sony isn't doing it. They don't put their games on the service day one. As far as I know, EA give early access and to the vault, I don't think day one... but even if they did, the numbers would make less sense.

EA revenue is around $5b annually, people are not signing up for EA Access in mass with only about 3m at $30-50 a year. So, say they lower it $10 a year or $15 a year to get more subscribers... they would need 300-500m annual subscribers to reach that revenue number, generally speaking to cover new game development. Revenues would crash, they're simply is no 300-500m users for them to get. Lets say they get 25m users to for games day one at $50 a year, that is only $1.25b. (its a loser business model) Even if you can some how get some stupid idiot to spend $100 a year at 25m subscribers that is only $2.5b.

Most people are not going to pay a subscription for games that get rapidly cheaper after 3-6 months.

Upfront sales is where the money is generated especially with repeat users and whales... rental services are fine for small revenue streams for older catalog.... I think EA Access is generating around $100m in revenue, barely enough to cover marketing for one big game.

- Games are generally cheap, they are definitely cheap after initial release... boardline worthless after a year
- Gamers really only play a few games a year
- Gamers really don't need access to 100s of games for rental... as they can't play them
- where gamers would pay for subscription on say day one rentals.... the publishers would be losing money vs. sales
- digital sales is easily the best business model, although game rentals can make sense for older titles

As far as Microsoft, I see no reason for them to be the middleman other than the closed system called Xbox as a Hardware, which is why the major publishers stay away from Microsoft in anything other than Xbox as a Hardware, generally speaking..... additional middlemen seems very inefficient.

Even if you believe in services and if you believe in efficiency.... I'm unsure why you guys would want Microsoft involved. I'm so confused.

Do have nightmares about Gamepass or something ? I created the thread and you seem to care way more than me. Even more weird since you obviously hate Xbox. Why would you even care so much 🤔

Don't tell me you're worried for the industry BS because we all know why you're so active in here.

Aion002

I don't understand how people don't seem to understand that devs are willingly putting their games on the platform.

Nobody from MS showed up at their home with a gun and forced them to put the game on Gamepass.

I know it's an hypothesis but just doesn't make sense. If I was an artist and X service is inherently bad for me why would I put my work on it? Especially since I don't have to as GP is only an option in a see of other revenue options.
I think is like this:

Today MS gives you a shit ton of money to put your games on GP, tomorrow GP has all the games and your games are not that valuable anymore, so they offer you a bad deal, however since everybody uses GP you are put against a wall.

That's the logic.... I guess.

DanielsM

Banned
Do have nightmares about Gamepass or something ? I created the thread and you seem to care way more than me. Even more weird since you obviously hate Xbox. Why would you even care so much 🤔

Don't tell me you're worried for the industry BS because we all know why you're so active in here.

I think you have nightmares about your reading skills or lack of. I don't even know what you're pissed off about. You setup a thread looking for a desired response and you're not getting it. There is no sense in you coming on a forum and getting mad because people don't agree with you.

Its even weirder that you can't even explain what you are pissed off about. (rage on)

Game Pass is simply a rental program.

Last edited:
I think you have nightmares about your reading skills or lack of. I don't even know what you're pissed off about. You setup a thread looking for a desired response and you're not getting it. There is no sense in you coming on a forum and getting mad because people don't agree with you.

Its even weirder that you can't even explain what you are pissed off about. (rage on)

I'm pissed off..?😂 Says the guy who just posted 500 000 posts.

Not gonna lie don't have the time to read all the crap you posted in here. No value.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I think is like this:

Today MS gives you a shit ton of money to put your games on GP, tomorrow GP has all the games and your games are not that valuable anymore, so they offer you a bad deal, however since everybody uses GP you are put against a wall.

That's the logic.... I guess.
But that's not always the case, right? Microsoft doesn't necessarily pay the developers to put their game on GP.

Also the results are pretty good for developers.

Aion002

But that's not always the case, right? Microsoft doesn't necessarily pay the developers to put their game on GP.

Well, some developers seem to disagree.

Anyway, I am just trying to rationalize their fears.

DanielsM

Banned

Okay so the goal is too make more money for the developers?

I'm so confused now. I thought the purpose of this was to save the gamer money?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

These metrics always spike at the beginning where the "deal hunters" flood into the new market, propped up by loss leader strategies to make it more attractive.

Article about PS+ back in 2013. Notice how gushing it is about the benefits of PS+

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Oh please. What even is an "Xbox gamer" these days? Do I count as a gamepass PC subscriber? Do I count as a guy with an Xbox One packed away in a box?

This whole mentality (Microsoft share it as well unfortunately) of doubling down on only appealing to "Xbox gamers" is what got them into this mess. These "Xbox gamers" whose mantra has been "wait for E3" year after year throughout the generation while starving for first party games. "Xbox gamers" who think there is a media conspiracy against Xbox because mediocre games like Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and Recore got aptly judged by the gaming press and general gamers. "Xbox gamers" who get their pants in a twist when you dare mention the fact that their PC store isn't fit for purpose and that UWP is shit ("wait for //build" I think it was).

They need to expand their potential customer base, not continue to shrink it. They need to stop worrying about what "Xbox gamers" want, they have them on board even if they took a direct shit in their mouth (we saw this in all it's glory around the time of the Xbox One reveal). They need to start thinking about how to get everyone else outside of that circle on board.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Well, some developers seem to disagree.

Anyway, I am just trying to rationalize their fears.
Last part is important though:
"A lot of details are up in the air, when it comes to subscription deals in the coming gaming generation. Indie developers are at the forefront, negotiating their games away, and hopefully getting plenty in return."

If developers would still think this is shit or bad for gaming, wouldn't they have said this already? And not just once, but many times.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Just seems like some people are jealous to me. I ain't going to buy any 3rd party games that could come to game pass for my PS4, i'll just buy Sony exclusives for that. I'd feel like i was a mug if i only had a Ps4 and was buying games for PS4 that were on Gamepass for next to nothing.
And you know what. If Gamepass does stop or even Xbox pulls out of the console business. I don't give a fuck (will be a little sad tho) i'll enjoy the ride now of basically free games while Sony fanboys get all bitter and twisted over Gamepass.

P.S i'm sure there are plenty of decent Sony fans on this forum who would like the same thing on Ps4.

DanielsM

Banned
Last part is important though:
"A lot of details are up in the air, when it comes to subscription deals in the coming gaming generation. Indie developers are at the forefront, negotiating their games away, and hopefully getting plenty in return."

If developers would still think this is shit or bad for gaming, wouldn't they have said this already? And not just once, but many times.

so... Game Pass is a way of developers to make more money? Than if they were just doing sales?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The best thing that gamepass does is it provides indie games with exposure that they wouldn't have otherwise got. It puts them front an center of a marketing cycle for a certain amount of time and it means their games are played by a lot more people than they would usually get. In addition they will get a fee up front to release their game to the service, so it's an added layer of financial security.

For AA/AAA games, especially new ones that are yet to experience a drop off in sales the value for them is limited unless they are chock full of microtransactions/lootboxes. Most of the companies behind these games can provide their own adequate level of marketing/exposure for their games. These games being on the service are of more value to the subscription service provider over the publisher/developer of those games.

Come for the AAA games, stay for the indies is what a lot of these services will survive on if they want sustained subscription.

Top Bottom