• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Mass Effect Trilogy was Seamless

The original Mass Effect games about Commander Shepard are great. Now that Mass Effect Andromeda fizzled I think there's a good chance we could get a seamless Mass Effect Trilogy Remake. I'd like to ask what do you think would be good ways to remake the original trilogy?
A few things I'd like to see:

Updated character models and updated resolutions are a given.
A seamless Citadel experience that integrated all aspects of the Citadel into one. I understand that the Council chambers would have to move based on story progression. It'd be nice to have access to all the night clubs and supply shops through out the game. The ability to bring weapons from Mass Effect 3 era into Mass Effect 1era and vice versa.
Ability to access most of the planets from all three games where the story will allow.
The Mako accessible across all games in ways that the story will allow.
A special chapter that utilizes Indoctrination Theory.
I honestly don't think this effort would be that resource intensive.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The original Mass Effect games about Commander Shepard are great. Now that Mass Effect Andromeda fizzled I think there's a good chance we could get a seamless Mass Effect Trilogy Remake. I'd like to ask what do you think would be good ways to remake the original trilogy?
A few things I'd like to see:

Updated character models and updated resolutions are a given.
A seamless Citadel experience that integrated all aspects of the Citadel into one. I understand that the Council chambers would have to move based on story progression. It'd be nice to have access to all the night clubs and supply shops through out the game. The ability to bring weapons from Mass Effect 3 era into Mass Effect 1era and vice versa.
Ability to access most of the planets from all three games where the story will allow.
The Mako accessible across all games in ways that the story will allow.
A special chapter that utilizes Indoctrination Theory.
I honestly don't think this effort would be that resource intensive.

I honestly dont think you have a clue about game development.

That would be a MASSive undertaking.

The best you can hope for is all 3 games with all DLC in a complete package.

Last edited:

Codes 208

This here is the right answer because each game is running on newer and newer iterations of the engine, just taking stuff from the newer games (like planets into the older games or 2's use of minerals) just doesnt sound like something that would translate well.

WaterAstro

EA isn't going to put money into something like that. A remake is out of the question. You might get remaster with no multiplayer or just ME3 mp.

nowhat

Yes, at best all three games running still on UE3 with updated assets and resolution, including the DLC.

Upgrading the engine itself, I cannot see it happening. It would be a huge task. Something Bluepoint would be more than capable of; but at the same time, I can't see EA paying for it.

Last edited:

And lucky for us, you're not invested or in charge of any game development project, hate your kind of mediocre reaction like a billions dollars company couldn't do that especially when it actually should to milk profit out of a remake for which 95% of the game has already been conceived, planned, written, produced, integrated and packaged...

Ridcully

I can't imagine them remaking them. Technology has improved, but not to the point where it'll seem that big an upgrade. It's easier just to throw the 3 existing games on a disc (DLC included) and have done. Any other work done would be to get it running smoother.

If it was going to be properly remade, I'd want to see massive changes to make the story coherent (start by not making Cerberus bit players in ME1), though I doubt BioWare have the chops to pull ME out of the hole 3 landed it in.

map and level design were based on the current engine/gameplay of each unique game. having the guns, powers, enemies, AI and vehicles be consistent throughout would mean having to completely overhaul each section of the game where enemies are encountered.

ME1 and 2/3 are just way too different. Even 2 and 3 have a good amount of differences as well.

Kadayi

Banned
And lucky for us, you're not invested or in charge of any game development project, hate your kind of mediocre reaction like a billions dollars company couldn't do that especially when it actually should to milk profit out of a remake for which 95% of the game has already been conceived, planned, written, produced, integrated and packaged...

What the OP is effectively asking for would be a huge undertaking with a large amount of financial risk to it if it didn't pan out (esp in lieu of how MEA failed). Appearance aside each of the games is markedly different. To try and create a seamless experience would essentially require a radical rethink and redesign of elements from all three titles. From a combat perspective, the third game got things nicely balanced, whereas from an RPG perspective the first and second game are generally seen more favourably by the fanbase, especially given the well known problems of the series conclusion.

Instead of remastering and effectively limiting what you can and can not do, the smarter move would be to just simply re-imagine the original series 5-10 years down the road wholesale and not be beholden to the myriad things that didn't work that well, or the forced limitations of game engine tech at the time.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im sorry if my response offends you (not really), but its the truth.

It's the damn truth. Me having a positive or negative reaction changes nothing.

Retrofitting all the games (mainly the first) to be one seamless experiences would not be anywhere remotely close to easy and would be a pretty significant project for anyone involved.

That's not to say I wouldn't welcome the remastered trilogy in one complete package, but EA is the only publisher that has not remastered a previous gen title.

If it makes you feel better, retrofitting an old game to be more in line with a new one is not entirely unprecedented. Metro Redux is an example in that the first game was largely retrofitted to be like the second game. It wasn't totally seamless, but it worked pretty well. But Mass Effect would require significantly more changes/tweaks for that to happen.

royox

If they put something out it’s going to be a remaster with all the DLC.

ME1 needs a "Halo Anniversary" treatment for sure.

I would buy a ME HD remaster for PS4. I usually play the whole story each year and what's stopping me now is that I don't want to set up my Xbox360 just for a ME run.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Does Bioware have access to better graphics? How is it Dice outputs a better picture while still being connected to EA.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Does Bioware have access to better graphics? How is it Dice outputs a better picture while still being connected to EA.

I bet it's a lot of variables. I bet it's because each studio is independent of the other. So what if their parent company is EA, right? And the fact the team at BioWare wasn't focused in that mainstream mindset of making it look good, but stripping it down completely for pay walls. Who knows if Anthem is answering that problem and we are seeing BioWare rise to that level of putting itself with the rest of EA's lineup.

You have photorealistic graphics with Battlefront and Andromeda looks like it was put off several times (it could have been a cancelled project for as much we cared for it).

masterkajo

They should not do a remaster. They should wait for a couple of years (even though it hurts) and then start again with a complete remake of the entire trilogy. Keep the gameplay coherent and the story as well. They have a chance to do an art piece here.

- Make ME1 similar story-wise but add side ark that culminates in Bring Down the Sky which has repercussions for Human Batarian relationship
- Free DLC to bridge ME1 and ME2 introduces Crucible plans and Collectors.
- Don't kill off Shepard at the start of ME2 but let him decide between Alliance and Cerberus for the remainder of the game. This changes story missions and squad mates.
- Suicide mission still at the end of ME2. End goal should be to gather Reaper intelligence. Ultimative choice should be to sacrifice a couple of squad members to gather vital intel.
- Free DLC to bridge ME2 and ME3 --> basically the Arrival storyline but done right
- Start of ME3 should be about repercussions for destroying the Batarian system and making everyone ready to fight
- From then on ME3 should be about strategically fighting the Reapers at key locations when they start to attack
- possible endings ranging from outright losing to victory based on knowledge and fighting instead of random-color-magic-button (Crucible does not do the same thing as it did in the original trilogy)

Something along those lines. EA or Bioware, PM me for details.

Last edited:

The Shepard

Remake them and make the indoctrination cannon so we get a real mass effect 4 aswell, I always found that theroy fascinating and better than what we got.

I'd be in for just a remaster or even a sequel to andromeda (which I can never see happen)

Gonna miss mass effect 😥 saddest moment of my gaming life watching this series go the way it has. I just can't see anthem filling the void even though I think it looks real good. Need a big fat single player mass effect game EA!

Edit: Hopefully cyberpunk is good and fills that Sci find rpg hole left by mass effect. Roll on E3!

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
It might seem 'cheap' (hey, it's just a video game), but, my personal fan fiction & sequel would entail Shepard falling through a black hole/time machine in the final moments of ME3 & remerging a few years prior to the events in the first game, with all the knowledge he gained in the trilogy but as a younger soldier (even before the "ruthless/survivor/war hero" backstory stuff). That way he could reencounter all the characters under different circumstances (Garrus hunting doctor Saleon!), we could have a whole new story ark (with or without the reapers, i.e. I would personally write a plot in which Shepard actually becomes allied with Saren this time, because why not?).

It would also solve the ME3 ending issue & rebuild the foundations of the lore & worlds which we could revisit, but with better gameplay & graphics of course. It's just science fiction, i.e. anything is possible & the original trilogy must certainly not be treated like an untouchable masterpiece, nor become a hindrance to future instalments (i.e. Andromeda was partly cr*p as a result of that "we must start a fresh story" approach which polluted the writing).

Roni

Gold Member
Unlucky for you, the people who are think a lot like him.

Im sorry if my response offends you (not really), but its the truth.

It's the damn truth. Me having a positive or negative reaction changes nothing.

Retrofitting all the games (mainly the first) to be one seamless experiences would not be anywhere remotely close to easy and would be a pretty significant project for anyone involved.

That's not to say I wouldn't welcome the remastered trilogy in one complete package, but EA is the only publisher that has not remastered a previous gen title.

If it makes you feel better, retrofitting an old game to be more in line with a new one is not entirely unprecedented. Metro Redux is an example in that the first game was largely retrofitted to be like the second game. It wasn't totally seamless, but it worked pretty well. But Mass Effect would require significantly more changes/tweaks for that to happen.

I have no problem with being critical when it's in the right sense: you are essentially arguing that it's "too costly, therefor impossible", I'm arguing "it's more profitable than it's costly, and crazy easier than producing a whole game", but we agree that this how EA probably sees things.

My point is specifically that they're lazy, counter-productively greedy but also irrational in their business practices and that's why they won't do it, not because it's complicated or expensive (the only factor and incentive being wether it'll continuously turn-out a profit on this particularly renown and successful backlog franchise, which there's no reason for it not to).

Last edited:
What the OP is effectively asking for would be a huge undertaking with a large amount of financial risk to it if it didn't pan out (esp in lieu of how MEA failed). Appearance aside each of the games is markedly different. To try and create a seamless experience would essentially require a radical rethink and redesign of elements from all three titles. From a combat perspective, the third game got things nicely balanced, whereas from an RPG perspective the first and second game are generally seen more favourably by the fanbase, especially given the well known problems of the series conclusion.

Instead of remastering and effectively limiting what you can and can not do, the smarter move would be to just simply re-imagine the original series 5-10 years down the road wholesale and not be beholden to the myriad things that didn't work that well, or the forced limitations of game engine tech at the time.

"radical rethink and redesign" is actually their job, and specifically the task that can make it not only possibly at the least cost, but also profitable. Not maintaining a backlog of popular franchises is irrational business practice, it's both lazy, unperceptive and counter-productive.

I agree with your approach that they could remake the game 5-10 years down the road, but a rational business practice would be to remaster the originals at least, and I find the OP's proposition a great way to make a great backlog format for these games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have no problem with being critical when it's in the right sense: you are essentially arguing that it's "too costly, therefor impossible", I'm arguing "it's more profitable than it's costly, and crazy easier than producing a whole game", but we agree that this how EA probably sees things.

My point is specifically that they're lazy, counter-productively greedy but also irrational in their business practices and that's why they won't do it, not because it's complicated or expensive (the only factor and incentive being wether it'll continuously turn-out a profit on this particularly renown and successful backlog franchise, which there's no reason for it not to).
Being profitable is debatable. While the Mass Effect series has sold decently, it’s not in the upper echelon of top series.

While I feel reasonably confident in saying that a generic remastering of the series coukd be profitable. I have major doubts that basically a remake would be profitable

Kadayi

Banned
"radical rethink and redesign" is actually their job, and specifically the task that can make it not only possibly at the least cost, but also profitable. Not maintaining a backlog of popular franchises is irrational business practice, it's both lazy, unperceptive and counter-productive.

Again, I'll reiterate, the systems of all 3 titles are quite distinct. Certainly, they could be remastered as is, with DLC integrated, but making them seamless as a Trilogy is another matter entirely.

Zannegan

This would be a huge undertaking. Given that EA doesn't want to fund new Mass Effect games, I very much doubt they're going to want to shell out for essentially remaking three games from the ground up then selling them and all their DLC for the price of one.

And even if they did, I don't know that anyone would be truly happy with the end result. For example, I liked Mass Effect 1 a lot, for all its flaws, but felt its sequels were too watered down and focused on the wrong elements of the series. If you remade 2 and 3 with ME1's more RPG-like mechanics, I might be happy, but fans who felt the series peaked with 2 or liked the shootery gameplay of 3 best would not. If you redid ME1 to play like ME3, the story might still be enjoyable--how did they screw that up so badly, btw?--but I wouldn't like the mechanics nearly as much.

The best you can hope for is a remastered trilogy, and, knowing EA, it wouldn't even come with all the DLC.

RAIDEN1

Seeing as Anthem is top priority right now, I reckon this probably wouldn't come out till late 2019/early 2020...but even if Mass Effect as a franchise is in stasis right now, I'd love for them to make a HD sequel to Jade Empire!!

Zannegan

Seeing as Anthem is top priority right now, I reckon this probably wouldn't come out till late 2019/early 2020...but even if Mass Effect as a franchise is in stasis right now, I'd love for them to make a HD sequel to Jade Empire!!
Oh man, love me some Jade Empire. I punched the crap out of everything in sight like a magic Bruce Lee. I'll take a sequel, an HD rerelease, or, hell, a virtual console game on Switch (if such a service ever materializes). I should really play that again...

That's a really cool idea for handling rereleases to put the experience seamless into one another. Has anything ever done that before? I can imagine HL1, Opposing Force, Blue Shift being done this way. Shift from one to the next as they intersect paths

Being profitable is debatable. While the Mass Effect series has sold decently, it’s not in the upper echelon of top series.

While I feel reasonably confident in saying that a generic remastering of the series coukd be profitable. I have major doubts that basically a remake would be profitable

I think it depends on the scope:

1. A generic remaster of the trilogy would sell well (if multiplatform) at launch, but the sustained interest for the franchise and backlog would quickly wane unless they're already working on ME4

2. A trilogy remake, which is something more costly and complex to pull-off right, would not only would sell well, but it would actually renew interest for the franchise, not just for people who already played but also newcomer to the franchise which is the key target, and because would mean a graphic boost (a re-implementation on today's and upcoming standard), the interest would be sustained way longer, enough for the franchise to go anywhere (ME4, a movie, a spin-off or prequel trilogy etc...).

My main point really is backlog and franchise management, lots of companies have started to understand where we're going with the digital (quick exemple, Capcom release SF and Megaman collection, or the Myst collection etc...), this is about franchise coherence and backlog maintenance.

Again, I'll reiterate, the systems of all 3 titles are quite distinct. Certainly, they could be remastered as is, with DLC integrated, but making them seamless as a Trilogy is another matter entirely.

It is, see my reply above for my main point, being franchise management, entry and sustainship.

John Day

They will probably announce a remaster of the trilogy when they start working on a new entry of the series, to gather attention. I wouldn’t expect more than that.

DouglasQuaid69

Neophyte
For me, I don't even know how to go about debating which I like more, the witcher series or the mass effect series. The witcher 2 and 3 I absolutely love and the same for the ME trilogy. I just can't pick one or the other, even with me not like witcher 1 and me absolutely detesting EA, I still love both.

nowhat

Rumor is ea is not making the port, they staffed it out.
Hmm. And Bluepoint is working on a new remake project and was quite giddy (but still tight-lipped) about it in the DF interview... could it be?

Edit - relevant quote:
Aside from confirming that the next game is a remake and that the scope of the new project exceeds its last release, the Bluepoint team wouldn't be drawn on what the title actually is, but rounding off a wide-ranging discussion on the technology behind Shadow of the Colossus, we asked the developer if there were any final words they wanted to add.

"We're really excited about our next project and we think you will be too when you find out what it is," replied Marco Thrush. "

Last edited:

Allandor

Well I still hope for ME A2. It wasn't a bad game. It had some bugs (nothing that broke the game) but I still had >100h fun with this game.
And I hope all ME games get an x-update, but well ... I don't think EA want that (e.g. they don't release a x-update for ME A ... :( ).

Cranberrys

Well I still hope for ME A2. It wasn't a bad game. It had some bugs (nothing that broke the game) but I still had >100h fun with this game.
And I hope all ME games get an x-update, but well ... I don't think EA want that (e.g. they don't release a x-update for ME A ... :( ).

Same here, I really loved my time with Andromeda, the combat was stellar and I liked the story. There will (probably) never be a sequel, sadly.

As for the ME Trilogy, while I still got my 360, I'm happy that the three games and all DLC are back compatible. I hope that at some point the games will receive X enhancements and I'll be fine with that. RDR or Fallout 3 look pretty good that way (RDR is amazing in 4K). Of course, I will also buy a remaster but I don't see that happening in the near future.

I Wonder if the X enhancements are on Microsoft's end or EA has Something to say about that ? I mean what will be the downside for EA for having this games enhanced now that the IP is buried ?

Kadayi

Banned
Apols for the bump but there was a really interesting series of long critiques of the series by a guy called Raycevick, that gets into the weeds of each title. Although they are long, I recommend them. I don't agree with all his points (I loathed the out of camera exchanges in ME3 between Shepard and his companions because it took away my control of the conversation), but I think he does a pretty good breakdown of each game and its positives and negatives, and more importantly how distinct each game is, as well as carry through.

Mass Effect: -

Mass Effect 2: -

Mass Effect 3: -

NickFire

I loved the trilogy more than any other games I had on 360, but I don't know about replaying it. It would take a really long time and there's so many new options and so much less time as each years passes. Would be great for others though and might help revive interest in continuing the story, so I'd like to still see it.

LordOfChaos

Just an aside but I'm playing Andromeda right now, and really my biggest letdown is that it did so poorly any DLC and sequels are in question at best and rumoured cancelled until a reboot at worst. It's not the trilogy I loved, but it's...you know, a game, it's ok. If they called it Sara Ryders sexy romp through space instead of Mass Effect it may have gone down better. I'd have liked DLC to explore this world more, and the Turian ark for sure should have been a DLC instead of a single hallway.

I may do an LTTP if there's any care left for that game.

Last edited:

SvRomanov87

Neo Member
For EA, adding "holster weapon" function to ME3 was too much work. They won't remake it unless fans pay them triple the cost in advance*

*DLCs sold separately.

CJY

Banned
If Mass Effect Trilogy was Seamless... You'd probably have less people playing/buying it than the first time around, so it's likely never to happen. What the above poster said was correct to degree. Best one could hope for is the whole trilogy on one disk.

only thing to expect from a ME trilogy is all 3 games with all dlc and 4K on X and Pro.

Dont expect anymore than that and either go eh or wow when you see the trailers for it lol.

Dunki

You should completely remove ME3 from the canon. This was really the game that killed this franchise

ref

I'd love to play a truly remastered Mass Effect 1, it's still one of my favorite games of all time. Atmospheric, great pacing, good story/characters. It's a shame how downhill the series went after that, and yes, that includes ME2 although not as extreme as ME3.

Top Bottom