• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Microsoft were to acquire Sega.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Why would they bother releasing the games on Playstation in japan only?
It would be all or nothing.

The Switch well we all want to release games on Switch so yeah SEGA on switch will still be a thing.

dave_d

I guess maybe if they did then they'd make more Sega games backward compatible with the Series X. Not sure which ones would be high on that list though.

Aion002

It does for Japan. Microsoft is selling like 10 xbox's a week down there.
I don't think that it's selling like that just because it's an Xbox...

If a console has the things the consumers wants, the consumers will buy the console.

Xbox has almost nothing that Japan wants... Maybe Sega games could change that or at least be the beginning of something.

SNG32

If a console has the things the consumers wants, the consumers will buy the console.

Xbox has almost nothing that Japan wants... Maybe Sega games could change that or at least be the beginning of something.

They had alot of Japanese titles in the 360 era and they tried hard to capture that market and still failed.

Bryank75

Banned

Guess again... many people in Europe, ME and Asia wouldn't buy an Xbox if they owned almost every major publisher. and the more they try to buy the industry , the more that type of person will resist.

cireza

Banned
Guess again... many people in Europe, ME and Asia wouldn't buy an Xbox if they owned almost every major publisher. and the more they try to buy the industry , the more that type of person will resist.
lol, come on, the real world is not neogaf.

Put FIFA exclusively on Xbox and everybody in France is going to buy an Xbox, they won't even care for a second.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
lol, come on, the real world is not neogaf.

Put FIFA exclusively on Xbox and everybody in France is going to buy an Xbox, they won't even care for a second.
Fifa would be the exception but Fifa isn't gonna allow it's license not be on PlayStation.... so count that theory out.

Xyphie

If I was Microsoft I'd only buy the Western branch. Creative Assembly, Relic and Sports Interactive would be a good fit under MS (and they already made first party games for Microsoft in the case of Relic and CA).

Last edited:

kamkamkam

0oIIINh.jpg

...*cough*

Rac3r

I don’t see why MS needs to acquire anything as big as Sega anymore considering the recent news of Stadia (no longer a threat). They also have too much in development after the Bethesda purchase. If they keep tacking on more studios their quality control is going to shit. When you try to rush out a constant stream of content then your games will suffer.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If Microsoft acquires Sega I could see them having localized games only on Xbox platforms and still release on Sony and Nintendo consoles in Japan. Something like what’s happening with Phantasy Star Online. I can’t see them being exclusive to Xbox platforms in Japan since that would kill the brand down there. Thoughts?

People : "Microsoft are stupid for ignoring japan"
Also people : "if they acquire a Japanese company then its doomed".

ice cube wtf GIF

I don’t see why MS needs to acquire anything as big as Sega anymore considering the recent news of Stadia (no longer a threat). They also have too much in development after the Bethesda purchase. If they keep tacking on more studios their quality control is going to shit. When you try to rush out a constant stream of content then your games will suffer.

Phil Spencer did say Microsoft wants to keep releasing first party games every 1 or 2 months on Xbox Game Pass. It makes perfect sense to acquire more games studios to increase Xbox Game Pass/Xbox user base.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
"Good exclusives are important to get customers to buy into your ecosystem."

"If MS make these games exclusives it'll be bad for their ecosystem."

NeoGaf. Never change.
Are they exclusives though? Or are they multiplats just not allowed to release on PlayStation?

The aim of buying Bethesda wasn't to build Xbox up...it was to damage PlayStation. The games were always going to be on Xbox.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Why so down?
All three manufacturers are a complete joke to me. I was "kind of" OK with Microsoft, but buying a lot of third party licenses and studios for 7.5 billions dollars is ridiculous. I strongly dislike this practice.

I don't like Sony and Nintendo for many other reasons as well, but this is not the place.

So I simply buy a console because it is the only way to access what still has some kind of positive values in this hobby : the third party games.

Current manufacturers don't deserve SEGA, even in its current state, and none will buy them anyway.

Bryank75

Banned
All three manufacturers are a complete joke to me. I was "kind of" OK with Microsoft, but buying a lot of third party licenses and studios for 7.5 billions dollars is ridiculous. I strongly dislike this practice.

I don't like Sony and Nintendo for many other reasons as well, but this is not the place.

So I simply buy a console because it is the only way to access what still has some kind of positive values in this hobby : the third party games.

Current manufacturers don't deserve SEGA, even in its current state, and none will buy them anyway.
I understand.. there is a lot wrong in the industry.

Are they exclusives though? Or are they multiplats just not allowed to release on PlayStation?

The aim of buying Bethesda wasn't to build Xbox up...it was to damage PlayStation. The games were always going to be on Xbox.
If they release on one console system, they would be exclusive.

Assuming the aim was to damage Playstation is a bit much and a bit fanboy-y. Bethesda was bought to build Xbox up....into the console platform where you could find Bethesda games. Unprecedented, definitely. Unfortunate, definitely. To assume malice in the business end of this situation is more of a personal problem and only serves to cause strife between camps. I can proudly and happily say I own and play both systems and think more gamers should be less tribal.

The game were always going to be on Xbox, correct, but now they're only going to be on Xbox. Just like how Spiderman games used to be multi-plat and they were always going to be on Playstation. So why was Spider-man made exclusive? To damage Xbox? Or to make Playstation the only place you could play Spider-man? And that was for the good of Playstation, good for them. They had the chance to make Spider-man entirely theirs and they did it and I'm sure you didn't blink an eye. No, in fact, I'm sure you celebrated and laughed. I've seen you do it. Nothing wrong with that. But a bit hypocritical.

Making Playstation look like a worse proposition effectively makes Microsoft platforms look like a better proposition.

The games were always going to be on Xbox and Playstation. Now they'll only be on Microsoft supported platforms which make those platforms stronger.

Bryank75

Banned
If they release on one console system, they would be exclusive.

Assuming the aim was to damage Playstation is a bit much and a bit fanboy-y. Bethesda was bought to build Xbox up....into the console platform where you could find Bethesda games. Unprecedented, definitely. Unfortunate, definitely. To assume malice in the business end of this situation is more of a personal problem and only serves to cause strife between camps. I can proudly and happily say I own and play both systems and think more gamers should be less tribal.

The game were always going to be on Xbox, correct, but now they're only going to be on Xbox. Just like how Spiderman games used to be multi-plat and they were always going to be on Playstation. So why was Spider-man made exclusive? To damage Xbox? Or to make Playstation the only place you could play Spider-man? And that was for the good of Playstation, good for them. They had the chance to make Spider-man entirely theirs and they did it and I'm sure you didn't blink an eye. No, in fact, I'm sure you celebrated and laughed. I've seen you do it. Nothing wrong with that. But a bit hypocritical.
At the same time that was one game..... now PlayStation will not get the next Hellblade, next Obsidian game, next Wasteland games, next Doom, next Wolfenstein, next Elderscrolls and next Fallout....

I may have limited interest in those games but it probably hurt a few people. It's not exactly a scale response...

At the same time that was one game..... now PlayStation will not get the next Hellblade, next Obsidian game, next Wasteland games, next Doom, next Wolfenstein, next Elderscrolls and next Fallout....

I may have limited interest in those games but it probably hurt a few people. It's not exactly a scale response...
In my opinion, scale doesn't matter. I understand that's not a popular or common thought process but it's consistent. Either you understand the business side of it and understand while unprecedented it is where the industry is heading both in Bethesda's case and Spider-man's case. The industry has always been pushing further and further towards more exclusives and with ecosystems being such an important DRAW of a console manufacturer, the push towards further exclusivity and securing further exclusivity was only going to intensify. The first step was securing windowed exclusives like Tomb Raider and FF7 remake and then next progression for the industry is securing permanent exclusives. Whether through acquisition or through contracts. That was always going to be the case.

So you understand it is the way of the business and the new digital ecosystems rising to prominence or take it personal and assume malice. Whether its one game or twenty games or fifty games. The scale doesn't matter. Taking the scale into consideration just gives people headspace to be inconsistent with their thoughts. Publisher or developer, it doesn't matter. One or twenty, it doesn't matter. Either you're for closing off content on specific consoles for other gamers or you're not.

Also, I always find it odd to add morals or good/bad to it. It's neither. It's the way of business and while it might not be IDEAL for some or others, it's not a morally good or bad thing. It is what it is. I totally understand the frustration, I share it.

Last edited:
I think you vastly overestimate the amount of weirdos out there. Most people see a great game and just go out and buy it for whatever system they have. And I'd wager most people have a PC at home. If not, Xbox is pretty cheap.

The only people this hurts are ps console warriors.

Aion002

They had alot of Japanese titles in the 360 era and they tried hard to capture that market and still failed.
They had a good start with The Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon... But they needed more.

I guess MS is that much evil for some eh....

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Can't see myself buying Xbox for SEGA games. Yakuza is great, but not console-seller, especially with the new turn-based BS. Also what are the other games? Streets of Rage? Already battletoads tried that.

Kerotan

I don't think that would make sense... Making Sega games exclusives wouldn't kill the brand in Japan or anywhere, it would only make Xbox stronger, console loyalty doesn't exist for most people....
Making any franchise exclusive to xbox damages it by default. Pubg crashed and burned because they ignored ps4 for xbox. Meanwhile fortnite launched and everybody on ps4 jumped in.

The vast vast vast percentage of gamers are on switch, playstation and pc. Sega titles are biased towards these platforms not xbox. But Sega, make it xbox exclusive what it become even less relevant.

If MS does buy Sega then the best strategy would be to do things on a case by case basis like they are doing with bethesda

1) have a few select completely exclusive games that get people into the ecosystem

2) Have other games that would come out on all other platforms at full price but show up on Gamepass Day 1 of course. I guess call them "cloud exclusive" games, in other words games that are not available on any other gaming subscription service.

Sega would be huge for pushing Gamepass PC IMO. Lets say there are 5 million active players between Football manager and Total War. if you have those games available Day 1 on gamepass then i bet you can get 70% to 80% of those people to sign up for Gamepass. Some of them will probably have the intention of signing up for a couple months then cancelling but they probably won't because the content is good and people always forget to unsubscribe for services. and you could still make money selling those games on Steam.

McCarth

If I'm Microsoft, why? Sega is just a legacy name brand right now, their catalog in the last 5 years is extremely mediocre. If it's simply names they want (which is absolutely not what they need), just fund the development.

Aion002

Making any franchise exclusive to xbox damages it by default. Pubg crashed and burned because they ignored ps4 for xbox. Meanwhile fortnite launched and everybody on ps4 jumped in.

The vast vast vast percentage of gamers are on switch, playstation and pc. Sega titles are biased towards these platforms not xbox. But Sega, make it xbox exclusive what it become even less relevant.
But MS wants to further consolidate the Xbox brand and all Xbox games are on pc, MS having Sega games on game pass would be a huge thing for it.

I am not saying that MS should or will buy Sega, just that it would make sense, if they bought Sega, to make everything exclusive for pc and xbox.

Anyway, spending a shit ton on Sega and continuing to release games on Playstation and Nintendo consoles would be... Bizarre...

Top Bottom