• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Microsoft were to acquire Sega.

SNG32

But MS wants to further consolidate the Xbox brand and all Xbox games are on pc, MS having Sega games on game pass would be a huge thing for it.

I am not saying that MS should or will buy Sega, just that it would make sense, if they bought Sega, to make everything exclusive for pc and xbox.

Anyway, spending a shit ton on Sega and continuing to release games on Playstation and Nintendo consoles would be... Bizarre...

I said in Japan. For example if Persona 6 were to just launch on Xbox in Japan that would be dead on arrival. There is more of userbase in the West for them to drop it as an exclusive on gamepass.

Last edited:
But MS wants to further consolidate the Xbox brand and all Xbox games are on pc, MS having Sega games on game pass would be a huge thing for it.

I am not saying that MS should or will buy Sega, just that it would make sense, if they bought Sega, to make everything exclusive for pc and xbox.

Anyway, spending a shit ton on Sega and continuing to release games on Playstation and Nintendo consoles would be... Bizarre...

I can see it working. Games at full price on Sony or Nintendo or Xbox. or you can have it in subscription with Gamepass. Kind of like why a lot of people are choosing to just pay $5 bucks a month for Peacock to watch the Office then buying the whole Office series digitally on Amazon.

If MIcrosoft bought SEGA, then ATLUS would have to put Persona and SMT on the Xbox and would be hating that they are tethered to a Console they probably do not like.

At least Eggman would be Muscleman instead and Sonic would have Branded Sneakers once more.

Aion002

I said in Japan. For example if Persona 6 were to just launch on Xbox in Japan that would be dead on arrival. There is more of userbase in the West for them to drop it as an exclusive on gamepass.
Sure... But then they would never grow in Japan...

I think that Xbox should stop doing half-hearted stuff, their lack of commitment from the middle to the end of the 360 gen was what it made the Xbox One a joke.

If they want to go all in buying everything they can, they should go all in on exclusivity... That's my opinion.

Last edited:

Kerotan

If Sony bought halo it would make sense to keep releasing it on PC and Xbox. Otherwise it risks becoming irrelevant if it was ps5 exclusive.

Guess again... many people in Europe, ME and Asia wouldn't buy an Xbox if they owned almost every major publisher. and the more they try to buy the industry , the more that type of person will resist.

Are they exclusives though? Or are they multiplats just not allowed to release on PlayStation?

The aim of buying Bethesda wasn't to build Xbox up...it was to damage PlayStation. The games were always going to be on Xbox.

SEGA deserves a better fate than be acquired by the worst manufacturer in the market, but that's capitalism. that's life.

Not surprised (and there's more alike) but Y'all Remind me of this salty idiot, an exact clones. Straight injection of Cancer to gaming community's Worldwide..Dem unseen hatred levels is unreal.

BUT !! If it was the other way around and Sony putting down an Ink, ohh boi..Celebration 🍾 Fam.

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

SNG32

Sure... But then they would never grow in Japan...

I think that Xbox should stop doing half-hearted stuff, their lack of commitment from the middle to the end of the 360 gen was what it made the Xbox One a joke.

If they want to go all in buying everything they can, they should go all in on exclusivity... That's my opinion.

We all know that if Microsoft buys Sega they will only have a few franchises and milk them. People think that they are going to get all the Bethesda titles like they did when they were multiplat I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda turns into a Doom and Fallout studio. If they were to own Sega they wouldn't utilize all the ip's. Look at how Rare turned out we should of atleast had a Jet force Gemini sequel by now lol. I pray that there's another Killer Instinct title but i'm not going to hold my breath. Don't even get me started on Banjo they pimped his little furry ass out to Nintendo.

Last edited:
I don't think that it's selling like that just because it's an Xbox...

If a console has the things the consumers wants, the consumers will buy the console.

Xbox has almost nothing that Japan wants... Maybe Sega games could change that or at least be the beginning of something.
It has nothing we want in Europe as well. It's a US only console.

Oh and it's funny how exclusives are bad on Playstation but the best thing elsewhere...

People really think SEGA Japan would allow that! They did not even want SEGA US to use the nights engine.

Last edited:

Aion002

If Sony bought halo it would make sense to keep releasing it on PC and Xbox. Otherwise it risks becoming irrelevant if it was ps5 exclusive.
Is Spiderman irrelevant?

Because almost all Spiderman games were multiplatform, then Sony went and made an exclusive one and it's one of the most successful games of last gen and a selling point of the PS5.

Oh and it's funny how exclusives are bad on Playstation but the best thing elsewhere...

People really think SEGA Japan would allow that! They did not even want SEGA US to use the nights engine.

I agree with you, MS buying Sega is almost unrealistic.

Also, PlayStation exclusives are the best, most of the times they are extremely polished and don't fall in the gaas territory... If Sony bought Sega, the Yakuza games would improve 300%.... While on MS hands... I am not sure about that.

We all know that if Microsoft buys Sega they will only have a few franchises and milk them. People think that they are going to get all the Bethesda titles like they did when they were multiplat I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda turns into a Doom and Fallout studio. If they were to own Sega they wouldn't utilize all the ip's. Look at how Rare turned out we should of atleast had a Jet force Gemini sequel by now lol. I pray that there's another Killer Instinct title but i'm not going to hold my breath. Don't even get me started on Banjo they pimped his little furry ass out to Nintendo.

Well, if MS does that with Bethesda, we will know that Xbox is not that important to MS.

They have a huge chance to bring all console WRPG fans attention to Xbox, if they rather make a safe move and waste an opportunity to bring more attention to Xbox... That's great for consumers, but a damn shame for the console.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
MS knows that we know its going to happen on a Wednesday, so they will wait so long until we will consider other days. And then, when we least expect it, it will happen, on a Wednesday.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
SEGA coming to the forefront in some way, shape or form is the only way this industry will be worth a damn again.

What else do we have to look forward to? Goodbye Volcano High? More Mario "limited time only" ROM dumps? Genesis does yo

Genx3

The reason a lot of people might be excited by such a purchase is because people do miss the Sega of old.
Hoping Sega could have a return to form plus being able to play Sega's line up on Game Pass day 1 for $15 a month has many people excited.

PhaseJump

Banned

Sega Japan isn't Sega Japan anymore, especially regarding the drama queen who threatened to leave over his game engine. He's not there anymore anyway. He's making Balan Wonderworld at Square Enix. (The other bigshot at Sega from that era is gone too, obsessed with Shenmue.)

Sega Japan now is Sammy management. It bought Sega for it's real estate to get the gambling machines into Sega's arcades. The corporation was restructured and split up multiple times, rebranded, they have subsidiary studios making money for them.

They publish 3rd party in Asia, they have successful studio subsidiaries in the west, they lucked out and bought Atlus from bankruptcy to have a decent Japanese presence alongside their handful of remaining Sega studios. They have Sonic merchandising, and are trying to push a nostalgic marketing campaign with Go Sega.

Last year they tried to sell the idea of cloud computing cycles making side-money for arcade vendors when their machines are idle. A real laugh IMO. I picture them trying to hustle crypto mining.

Covid happened, they lost tourism and sold the arcade amusements off, gambling is down. They tried to get all the old people to retire early. Now the old Sammy CEO is leaving, his son is stepping up to it, and we don't know what will happen if Microsoft steps into the room with him and offers him a modest amount for SegaSammyHoldings. The company that was "Sega" is mostly gone. Microsoft is a trillion dollar company that contributes to the Japanese economy and it could get any regulatory approval necessary to buy anybody there.

Is it worth it for Xbox? I think yes. It's starved for Japanese content, and Microsoft would likely let them continue to do their thing on other platforms. They would probably then have better leverage to partner up with someone like Bandai Namco to help push xCloud or multimedia deals. Sonic merchandising. Whatever Bandai (or whoever. Samsung?) wants and needs.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
If Microsoft bought Sega, I would expect them to create small size teams to make sequels of certain brands or loan the IP out to small indie developers with a track record. In addition have a few teams set up to port games from the back catalogue. No rushing them out and no overpriced retro games. That would be the steady stream of gamepass games on a near monthly basis. If the game needs to be delayed , delay it. I would have only retro games put on Nintendo hardware, not future titles. No PlayStation.

I would have Xbox get the newer games and have it on PC & Steam as well. For Japan I would coincide the rollout (or marketed re-release) of X-Cloud with the release of Persona 6. Maybe call XCloud something with a Sega name for Nostalgia sake.

Last edited:

RGB'D

For Japan, just ensure that it releases day and date to XCloud as well with touch controls. The series S/X adoption will follow. The beauty of Xbox's vision is that you don't need the console to be in their ecosystem.

Kerotan

Is Spiderman irrelevant?

Because almost all Spiderman games were multiplatform, then Sony went and made an exclusive one and it's one of the most successful games of last gen and a selling point of the PS5.

I agree with you, MS buying Sega is almost unrealistic.

Also, PlayStation exclusives are the best, most of the times they are extremely polished and don't fall in the gaas territory... If Sony bought Sega, the Yakuza games would improve 300%.... While on MS hands... I am not sure about that.

Well, if MS does that with Bethesda, we will know that Xbox is not that important to MS.

They have a huge chance to bring all console WRPG fans attention to Xbox, if they rather make a safe move and waste an opportunity to bring more attention to Xbox... That's great for consumers, but a damn shame for the console.
If it was exclusive on xbox it would be a hell of lot less relevant.

Sega's the kind of company where, if Microsoft buys them, several games could easily still be multiplat. Sonic for example; the vast majority of his fanbase is on Nintendo systems so it makes zero sense to remove him from that platform. While the Yakuza games are getting more presence on Xbox and PC (and Persona on PC), the vast majority of that audience is still on PlayStation, especially in Asian countries, so it makes no sense to remove them from the PlayStation ecosystem either.

So in cases like that, I can still see multiplatform releases happening, difference being they will all be Day 1 on GamePass and maybe some other QoL server-side benefits you'd be more hard-pressed to get on other platforms. However, revivals of classic IP like Crazy Taxi (crosses fingers), Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio etc...I think those would be Xbox & PC-exclusive.

Hawk269

If MS were to get Sega, I hope they will tap into their great IP's. Make a new series of Arcade Games for PC/Series X/S. Imagine a reworked Daytona USA with more tracks, updated graphics and 24 Player On-Line. There is so many great IP's that Sega has just not done anything with. If MS were to get them I would love a Sega Classic Arcade Series of games to come out. Would kill for a home version of Scud Race!

Sega Japan isn't Sega Japan anymore, especially regarding the drama queen who threatened to leave over his game engine. He's not there anymore anyway. He's making Balan Wonderworld at Square Enix. (The other bigshot at Sega from that era is gone too, obsessed with Shenmue.)

Sega Japan now is Sammy management. It bought Sega for it's real estate to get the gambling machines into Sega's arcades. The corporation was restructured and split up multiple times, rebranded, they have subsidiary studios making money for them.

They publish 3rd party in Asia, they have successful studio subsidiaries in the west, they lucked out and bought Atlus from bankruptcy to have a decent Japanese presence alongside their handful of remaining Sega studios. They have Sonic merchandising, and are trying to push a nostalgic marketing campaign with Go Sega.

Last year they tried to sell the idea of cloud computing cycles making side-money for arcade vendors when their machines are idle. A real laugh IMO. I picture them trying to hustle crypto mining.

Covid happened, they lost tourism and sold the arcade amusements off, gambling is down. They tried to get all the old people to retire early. Now the old Sammy CEO is leaving, his son is stepping up to it, and we don't know what will happen if Microsoft steps into the room with him and offers him a modest amount for SegaSammyHoldings. The company that was "Sega" is mostly gone. Microsoft is a trillion dollar company that contributes to the Japanese economy and it could get any regulatory approval necessary to buy anybody there.

Is it worth it for Xbox? I think yes. It's starved for Japanese content, and Microsoft would likely let them continue to do their thing on other platforms. They would probably then have better leverage to partner up with someone like Bandai Namco to help push xCloud or multimedia deals. Sonic merchandising. Whatever Bandai (or whoever. Samsung?) wants and needs.
Weren't all the Club SEGA closed because of COVID and reasons of the last retruction and split between arcades and home gaming?

You're so right that the old SEGA is gone, as a long SEGA fan it really makes me sad, event if SEGA still makes some great contents. And now SEGA is Atlus too. I think that if someone were to buy SEGA, it would really hurt the others since it also means that all the Atlus games would be exclusive to one hardware. The migration from the Atlus fans would be very important. It's something that people seems to forget but Atlus fans will go where there games are, no matter what.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Is today the day?

Chat Infuriating GIF by AnimatedText

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If they were to do that they would have done it already.

Concern

Guess again... many people in Europe, ME and Asia wouldn't buy an Xbox if they owned almost every major publisher. and the more they try to buy the industry , the more that type of person will resist.

Mario Lopez Football GIF

The dumbest hot takes ever when it come to Xbox lol. Gaf doesn't represent the real world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom