• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Nintendo got rid of Toad for good, would you be upset?

DylanEno

Not really, no. I wouldn't care one way or the other tbh

I did really enjoy captain toad, though. But for those defending them in Color Splash - the Toads aren't funny because they're Toads, they're funny because they're written by funny people. They could have been replaced by literally anything else and it would have worked just as well if not better, IMO.

AdanVC

I will be indifferent. I will really not care if he goes away. I found him to be a little annoying, especially when he "talks" wich is super annoying. Despite of that, everyone should get Capitan Todd Treasure Tracker.

Richie

Playing some more Color Splash yesterday cemented my absolute love for how the Toads are handled in that game. Hysterical stuff, I tell ya.

I think the one time I've felt a bit of Toad burnout is in Paper Jam, but that's because the game loves throwing tons of mandatory Rescue Toads' missions one after the other, in an instance of both poor pacing and bloat.

Nategc20

Banned
I cant believe they devoted a team of people to make a game about this dude, like legit developers. Like there was nothing else nintendo wanted to make? Seriously?

by now he's been in so many wonderful Mario games it probably wouldn't matter all that much, his legacy secured, he is the first friendly NPC in any Mario game and the only evidence of a Mushroom Kingdom citizen.

i don't understand why they would get rid of a massively popular character though. if they did they would have to come up with a new model of Mushroom Kingdom citizen.

as OP just blanket "hates" Toad and gives no reasons or characteristics he wish Toad had that aren't there, there are no guidelines from which to start the re-design, anyways this is all kind of a pointless thought exercise.

IN WHAT GOD FORSAKEN ALTERNATE REALITY WOULD THAT BE!?
OMG!

I can't fathom the idea!

My one year old was looking at the cover of Super Mario 3D world, pointing him and trying to say his name after me!

After Captain Toad, man! You have one mischievous mind to come up with this horrendous image of a world where Nintendo abandons him, Just look at him! Who could do that!

(Good question I haven't realised how much I like him!)

Neiteio

I love the Toads in Super Mario Sunshine. When they sit under a beach umbrella in Delfino Square, you can bounce between their heads and the umbrella and they keep squawking. "Hey! Hey! Hey!"

I wouldn't care. Never enjoyed the character after the VA changed to a grainy 60 year smoker kind of type. Give me MP1-3/MK64 Toad back.

Never realized how much that's bothered me until I read your post.

The newer voice really is atrocious. The one he had in the first few Mario Party games was so much more fitting.

Valahart

I do think he is a bit overused and I absolutely hate that he gets the playable character slot on multiplayer platforming Mario games.

He has that C-tier character vibe and could be just easily switched to Rosalina, Peach... yeah, not many options.

But the fact that it is also used as a common citizen on most Paper Mario games shows how Toads are not important enough to be playable.

I like Toad, but generic Toad shouldn't be a replacement for original or interesting characters.
Yeah. I wouldn't be sad if we saw exclusively "named" Toads in the future - like Captain Toad and his crew. "Generic" Toads are boring and have been limiting as of late - I'm looking at you, Paper Mario.

Mathieran

Banned
I love toad. I always used him in SMB2 and he was always my backup when somebody beat me to Yoshi in Mario Kart. I would miss him

Top Bottom