• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If PSVR2 launched with HL: Alyx, RE8 and Astro Bot 2, would it be enough to convince you to get one on day 1?

Vlodril

I am in day 1 no matter what. I become a huge fan of VR after trying psvr (got a rift s and a reverb g2 after that). VR is the new frontier what its missing right now games wise is more full games and less experiences. Sony will bring that.

nbkicker

I thought ages ago it was mentioned that the image quality etc wasnt as good with wireless on the quest compared to having it connected via a cable, but this was the origional quest not the quest 2, so things prob miles different now, but we dont really no much about the next psvr at the min, apart from sony saying it will still be wired, maybe we might get a thin usb wire just giving power to the head unit while the image is sent wireless, im just hoping its a one connection to the ps5 and not another breackout box , power adapter, usb connectors etc everywere

Romulus

I'm buying it anyway and that's considering I have a Rift S for my pc. Even if sony studios only manage a few great exclusives it's worth it to me. It rather play a couple of great VR exclusives than 20 non VR exclusives. The overall experience in VR is magnitudes more impressive to me than regular gaming. I barely touched Sonys non VR lineup for ps4.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I’m honestly unlikely to ever buy PSVR 2 as it’s wired.

Why would I when I have a PC powerful enough, and a Quest 2 that I can play every PCVR game on wirelessly?

I guess if there was an exclusive I really had to play I might consider it, but other than that, I don’t see the point.
Quest 2 wasn’t officially wireless at launch either, that came later or through third party virtual desktop. I’m thinking the same could happen with PSVR2, I’m not ruling it out just because of that official one cord info.

No.

I don't want "VR games", this is not a genre, this is a new medium to play games in. I want to play regular good games and old favorites in VR - possibly well ported to take advantage of the medium superior interactivity.

Nah buying a VR headset that only works on one console is a waste of money. better off investing in a PC setup.

and playing unoptimized games that run like shit on the most expensive cards - like 20-30fps on MSFS on rtx 3090.

plus, complaining when big exclusives come to Quest or psvr...

SilentUser

I'm pretty much decided to buy PSVR 2, but not day one. Never had a PSVR, so if Sony make those games compatible with PSVR 2 that would be awesome (they most likely will). And yeah, Half Life Alyx would be massive, imo! Such a great game, going by the little I played at my brother's PC VR.

Exoil

I'm getting it day 1 no matter what it releases with. VR is the Future and the Future is Now.

ZoukGalaxy

No need to convince me. I will get it DAY ONE.
Iron Man Want GIF

Codes 208

I already have an oculus quest 2 and a link cable to play games like Half-Life Alyx, I currently have no intention in investing in another 300-500 into something I’ll rarely play.

Kuranghi

If we are talking about PC games there's one game I'd buy any HW I had to to play it, Half-Life 3.

All they need is a tech demo that has the same impact that the HL2 did, but for VR and I'd be in.

Shakka43

I plan on getting it day one regardless. Not having to deal with the current PSVR setup will be a huge improvement, I just hope they update all current games to support the new headset and controllers (not always a guarantee when dealing with Sony).

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
My wife told me to preorder on he psvr2 so we don't have the same issues as we did getting a ps5 (she stayed up all night to get me one).

I accepted her recommendation lol.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Tethered VR is a nonstarter. Personally, I'd go a step further and say that VR without standalone capability is a nonstarter.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Alyx isn't coming to consoles.
Care to wager? Valve has always ported its big games to consoles, be it Left 4 Dead, Half-Life or Portal. There was no console that could support Alyx, but PS5+PSVR2 will be able to support it so I'm sure they will port it; they want more people to experience it.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Care to wager? Valve has always ported its big games to consoles, be it Left 4 Dead, Half-Life or Portal. There was no console that could support Alyx, but PS5+PSVR2 will be able to support it so I'm sure they will port it; they want more people to experience it.
Quite a bit actually. Unless Valve has someone else port the game to PSVR, I don't see it happening.

But I guess if Sony brings out that checkbook.

yurinka

I skipped PSVR1 and other headsets of that first generation. I plan to get PSVR2 if as it seems they fixed or highly reduced all the main issues of the first one.

I think the 3 mentioned games in the OP are likely to be released for PSVR2, but even if it's not the case I'd love to play on PSVR2 at least improved versions of games we saw for the first PSVR like Wipeout VR, Astro, REVII, Ace Combat or Tetris Effect.

For PC gaming now I have a laptop capable of running current gen VR but won't be able to run PS5VR games and the cost of a PS5 and PSVR2 is going to be already a heavy hardware budget for me for many years, I don't plan to upgrade my laptop for a while.

Quite a bit actually. Unless Valve has someone else port the game to PSVR, I don't see it happening.

But I guess if Sony brings out that checkbook.
If Valve is open to release their stuff on PSVR I'm pretty sure Sony would pay the porting and would find and pay someone to do the ports if needed.

Last edited:
beware of Zuckerberg shills and fitness minigame lovers in this thread.

Just put more big games and ports on psvr2 than you did on psvr1 to bring real gamers to this niche, Sony. Better tech and great games will speak for themselves.

I'd love to play on PSVR2 at least improved versions of games we saw for the first PSVR like Wipeout VR, Astro, REVII, Ace Combat or Tetris Effect.
I'd love too, but unlikely to happen due to different tracking and controls - some will no doubt get enhanced versions, but I fear you really missed many older gems that you'll never play on psvr2, like Skyrim or Driveclub.

BC is never taken for granted on consoles...

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Considering how well Sony supported the PSVR1, I think I would get the PSVR2 regardless of the lineup.
Only problem was the resolution/stability so I just hope this is fixed.

yurinka

Alyx isn't coming to consoles.
As of now not, because there isn't a VR device for consoles with enough horsepower and proper controls. But with PSVR2 in the market, Valve will want to port it to get a profit for the investment they did for their game, and Sony will want some ports of the main PC VR games that weren't possible on PSVR1. So it's higly possible that Alyx will end being released on PSVR2.

I'd love too, but unlikely to happen due to different tracking and controls - some will no doubt get enhanced versions, but I fear you really missed many older gems that you'll never play on psvr2, like Skyrim or Driveclub.

BC is never taken for granted on consoles...
PS4 to PS5 BC is granted, and I assume PSVR2 will be BC with PSVR1 to avoid having to start from scratch and to have a good catalog.

I assume they'll manage it to adapt the headtracking system on a OS level (even if internally works differently, at the end the game just gets a head position and rotation), and same goes for the DS4 controls (not sure but I'd bet that these games were playable with DS4, so controls could be adapted to DualSense). Hell, I even think they can translate the dildo controls to the new controller unless it lacks buttons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom