• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If PSVR2 launched with HL: Alyx, RE8 and Astro Bot 2, would it be enough to convince you to get one on day 1?

Yes! Wouldn’t even need RE8; Astro Bot was probably the best PSVR game and HL:A is amazing (but my laptop is just a little to slow for it).

Three

My guess is it's coming wired stock and will have an adaptor that plugs into it to go wireless if that's what you're after. The reason being is having a more mass-market price available at launch. A wireless receiver and extra battery pack inside will just add cost that they can negate in a base model.
That's a good idea. Not sure if they would do it though.

Wonko_C

Why do so many people have these crazy low price expectations when it comes to VR?

Some of those fucking fitness trackers or ear buds cost more than $100...
People still naively think of VR headsets as an accessory when in reality it is a computing platform.

harmny

Banned
My guess is it's coming wired stock and will have an adaptor that plugs into it to go wireless if that's what you're after. The reason being is having a more mass-market price available at launch. A wireless receiver and extra battery pack inside will just add cost that they can negate in a base model.

If Facebook can sell a quest 2 for $300 not only with a wireless receiver and a battery pack but also 64 gb of internal memory and a snapdragon xr2 inside playstation should be able to offer a mass market price

chasimus

If Facebook can sell a quest 2 for $300 not only with a wireless receiver and a battery pack but also 64 gb of internal memory and a snapdragon xr2 inside playstation should be able to offer a mass market price
Maybe Sony's trying to be sub-$300? Plus, there's a reason why you have to have a Facebook account connected to that $300 device. Information. So they can use that information about you to make more money. It wouldn't surprise me if Facebook takes a hundred dollar loss to make it up on the information they gather from Quest 2 owners. And Sony usually does sell its hardware at or near cost, so I'm sure they've got a plan to compete against Facebook. And a wired version of the headset would help them with that

harmny

Banned
Maybe Sony's trying to be sub-$300? Plus, there's a reason why you have to have a Facebook account connected to that $300 device. Information. So they can use that information about you to make more money. It wouldn't surprise me if Facebook takes a hundred dollar loss to make it up on the information they gather from Quest 2 owners. And Sony usually does sell its hardware at or near cost, so I'm sure they've got a plan to compete against Facebook. And a wired version of the headset would help them with that

Well of course that's why I said that sony should be able to go below 300 without that expensive soc inside and without internal storage while remaining wireless

Audiophile

I think the most important thing is gaze-tracking + foveated rendering. If Sony can pull that off by next year, I'll be super-stoked. It seems a necessity to me in the console space and given PSVR2 will probs need to last >5yrs; it not being in their day one would be a major missed opportunity.

Alyx has to launch on there too imo.

While a slim, single wire doesn't really bother me personally. It'd be cool if the headset is future-proofed for a wireless add-on when the tech is mature, fully approved and economical (in regards to it being rendered on the console itself and being beamed back, not locally like quest).

Last edited:

CS Lurker

It will require 1 USB cable to plug into the console

Is it already confirmed? (that it will be only an USB cable, and not an one cable with 2 connectors at the end (USB and HDMI).

If it is only USB, they will be streaming to the HMD, adding compression and latency (just like the Oculus does with the Quest).

Tbh, I think compression and latency are very acceptable when streaming over Wi-Fi, but not when wired.

Last edited:

vivftp

Is it already confirmed? (that it will be only a USB cable, and not an one cable with 2 connector at the end (USB and HDMI).

If it is only USB, they will be streaming to the HMD, adding compression and latency (just like the Oculus does with the Quest).

Tbh, I think compression and latency are very acceptable when streaming over Wi-Fi, but not when wired.

This is what they said:

"It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience."

It's presumed that it'll connect to the USB C connector on the front of the console which supports speeds of 10 Gbps per Playstation.com:

Now whether the PSVR2 might also have an optional wireless adapter is still completely unknown, we'll just have to wait and see.

CS Lurker

This is what they said:

"It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience."

It's presumed that it'll connect to the USB C connector on the front of the console which supports speeds of 10 Gbps per Playstation.com:

Now whether the PSVR2 might also have an optional wireless adapter is still completely unknown, we'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah, it sounds like the HMD will connect directly to the PS5 (no breakout box this time).

I was expecting 5k resolution at 120Hz. They would need ~40Gb to do that without compression.

Well, at least they are already working on the lossy streaming tech (which, I believe, will help to bring a psvr2 wireless in 2023)

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing it needs to do to convince me to buy it is being backwards compatible.

SLB1904

Banned
The only thing it needs to do to convince me to buy it is being backwards compatible.
Ps 5 is backwards compatible. Unless you mean the controls? It will probably work like the move controllers unless it gets patched.

IgfUz1S.jpg

I was sold as soon as i saw this

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Ps 5 is backwards compatible. Unless you mean the controls? It will probably work like the move controllers unless it gets patched.

I was sold as soon as i saw this
My bad I meant PSVR 2 being backwards compatible with PSVR 1. I don't want any issues when it comes to that.

chasimus

Well of course that's why I said that sony should be able to go below 300 without that expensive soc inside and without internal storage while remaining wireless
Misunderstood your last comment. Yes, without all of that stuff Sony should definitely be able to hit a great price

AGRacing

Gold Member
They had better build this hardware right and not have it look and setup like a life support 32X style POS like the last one.... usb 3 on the console gives me hope that they won't completely botch it.. but no dedicated video out for VR is a concern.

I bought the original box and was screwed when it didn't support hdmi 2.0 and couldn't get the full experience with my PS4 Pro. Then I bought the new model to fix that issue. Then that box didn't work with HDMI 2.1 on PS5. This was all over their forums at the time... maybe because the same people who wanted to invest early in VR invested early in HDR. Imagine not seeing that coming.

I sold my PSVR because I'll never be turning off 2.1 features permanently on my C9 Oled and I'll never be bothered to keep plugging the thing in to play. I won't be dealing with any of that garbage for PSVR 2. Stop screwing over my TV to give me VR and we might have a deal.

Bankai

I'll get it no matter what. I LOVE PSVR 1 and I can't wait to get my hands on an improved model - finally getting rid of them MOVE controllers.

Three

They had better build this hardware right and not have it look and setup like a life support 32X style POS like the last one.... usb 3 on the console gives me hope that they won't completely botch it.. but no dedicated video out for VR is a concern.

I bought the original box and was screwed when it didn't support hdmi 2.0 and couldn't get the full experience with my PS4 Pro. Then I bought the new model to fix that issue. Then that box didn't work with HDMI 2.1 on PS5. This was all over their forums at the time... maybe because the same people who wanted to invest early in VR invested early in HDR. Imagine not seeing that coming.

I sold my PSVR because I'll never be turning off 2.1 features permanently on my C9 Oled and I'll never be bothered to keep plugging the thing in to play. I won't be dealing with any of that garbage for PSVR 2. Stop screwing over my TV to give me VR and we might have a deal.
You could have just got a hdmi splitter. You can switch with a button if you want to play with PSVR. Anyway with USB-C this will be less of a problem.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No.
Finished Alyx
Finished re8 in superior way 4k120 oled in my face
Astrobot was great the way it was. Not worth playing nonvr game in worse resolution, graphics and with a sweaty vr.

The best thing ever is Alyx. If I've not played it before, I would with psvr2

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I love VR but they need to show that they’re serious. No more AA games or regular games with a VR mode, I want to see AAA games built from the ground up for VR from Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Insomniac or similar high quality 1st party developers.
I hope that future never comes to pass. It's a complete waste of resources for a niche gimmick used by a tiny audience. I have no idea why Sony is still pursuing VR despite the poor sales. PSVR has a third of the sales of the PS Vita which was considered a sales flop.

kungfuian

Software comes up a lot when people talk about VR system sales being niche/low but I really don't think that's the issue with PSVR as a platform. The reason Quest does so well by comparison is it offers both stand alone and PC enhanced functionality, plus it being wireless. The dual nature of it's design along with it's ease of use means by default it automatically appeals to a wider demographic than PSVR.

The total number of PSVR units by comparison, was always going to be limited to being a fraction of the PS4 install base. And if the PSVR 2 requires a PS5 then it will by be relegated to a similarly small install base of potential customers. PSVR sold like 5 million and for this reason I'd expect a PSVR 2 to similarly sell in the 5-10 million range. Correct me if I'm wrong but the most any console attachment or accessory has ever sold has been the Kinect (+/-35 million), and that was way cheaper than a VR unit and was bundled with many systems (plus Microsoft marketed the shit out of it).

If Sony wants mainstream/broader adoption of their VR Platform they will need to have a wireless option and some type of stand alone functionality. PC support out of the box wouldn't hurt either.

For the record I'm fine with a kick ass powerful enthusiast kit from them. I'll be picking one up day one. I just expect the results will be similar as far as market adoption. Software is not the issue. Being limited to the PS5 install base will be.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Day 1 anyways... But with them games it becomes a no brainer.

Excited to see what 1st party games are in development for VR2.

I also want to play Moss, Astrobot and NMS.

AGRacing

Gold Member
You could have just got a hdmi splitter. You can switch with a button if you want to play with PSVR. Anyway with USB-C this will be less of a problem.
I saved you the pain of hearing about everything I tried - including an HDMI splitter.

It worked occasionally - but even using exclusively PlayStation cables on the path to the VR headset it would occasionally black out the screen or flicker rapidly. It also didn't solve the HDR issue - because there were ZERO 2.0 HDMI splitters at the launch of VR.

Three

I saved you the pain of hearing about everything I tried - including an HDMI splitter.

It worked occasionally - but even using exclusively PlayStation cables on the path to the VR headset it would occasionally black out the screen or flicker rapidly. It also didn't solve the HDR issue - because there were ZERO 2.0 HDMI splitters at the launch of VR.
You don't need a 'HDMI 2.1' splitter. Any simple switch like this works as long as it isn't trying to do something with the image (scaling or anything) :

Read the first review. He/she is using it for the exact purpose you needed it for and I use it for.

AGRacing

Gold Member
You don't need a 'HDMI 2.1' splitter. Any simple switch like this works as long as it isn't trying to do something with the image (scaling or anything) :

Read the first review. He/she is using it for the exact purpose you needed it for and I use it for.
Hey that's great man - does it do 2.1 now with PS5? That would have been a great switch for me in 2016 when I needed it. The best one I could find at that time didn't. Looks like these guys got it in 2018.

Anyway - I'm not buying ANYTHING extra for PS5. The PSVR2 is going to work perfectly in my situation without any more cables or switches or I won't buy it. You can stop trying to prove I didn't apply due diligence to get it to work when it mattered. I did and it didn't.

I didn't ask Sony to hype up HDR and 4K on 2016.. they did it and then didn't support it with VR. It was a stupid move on their part. End of story.

Last edited:

Three

Hey that's great man - does it do 2.1 now with PS5? That would have been a great switch for me in 2016 when I needed it. The best one I could find at that time didn't. Looks like these guys got it in 2018.

Anyway - I'm not buying ANYTHING extra for PS5. The PSVR2 is going to work perfectly in my situation without any more cables or switches or I won't buy it. You can stop trying to prove I didn't apply due diligence to get it to work when it mattered. I did and it didn't.

I didn't ask Sony to hype up HDR and 4K on 2016.. they did it and then didn't support it with VR. It was a stupid move on their part. End of story.
I haven't tried it on my PS5. That's connected to a projector that doesn't have HDR. I assume it would work. I can check it for you if you like?

Wasn't trying to say you didn't do your due diligence just that you don't need a fancy splitter with some 'HDMI 2.1' sticker on it. I've seen some places trying to charge £100+ for HDMI2.1 splitters for something these cheap £13 ones do.
These cheap ones only need the correct cables connected.

For PS5 hopefully it will just be one USB-C connection, you wouldn't even need to worry about a breakout box or hdmi.

Last edited:

lachesis

I would love to jump in day1, but TBH - biggest hurdle for me is the motion sickess that I get from VR.
When I play PSVR - I really have to make myself quite aware that I may get sick after playing it for more than 15 minutes.
I wear sea-band, take ginger casules and all... but still not a pleasant experience.
Perhaps the newer generation VR sets are better with higher refresh rates all...

Romulus

Man people who have only played psvr1 moving up to psvr2 are going to be in for a treat looking at it so far. Even if the headset is just half step forward(itll be more) the controllers, tracking, and pairing it with a ps5 is like 2 full generations ahead by itself.

Software comes up a lot when people talk about VR system sales being niche/low but I really don't think that's the issue with PSVR as a platform. The reason Quest does so well by comparison is it offers both stand alone and PC enhanced functionality, plus it being wireless. The dual nature of it's design along with it's ease of use means by default it automatically appeals to a wider demographic than PSVR.

The total number of PSVR units by comparison, was always going to be limited to being a fraction of the PS4 install base. And if the PSVR 2 requires a PS5 then it will by be relegated to a similarly small install base of potential customers. PSVR sold like 5 million and for this reason I'd expect a PSVR 2 to similarly sell in the 5-10 million range. Correct me if I'm wrong but the most any console attachment or accessory has ever sold has been the Kinect (+/-35 million), and that was way cheaper than a VR unit and was bundled with many systems (plus Microsoft marketed the shit out of it).

If Sony wants mainstream/broader adoption of their VR Platform they will need to have a wireless option and some type of stand alone functionality. PC support out of the box wouldn't hurt either.

For the record I'm fine with a kick ass powerful enthusiast kit from them. I'll be picking one up day one. I just expect the results will be similar as far as market adoption. Software is not the issue. Being limited to the PS5 install base will be.

it's called PlayStation VR for a reason. its PC is PS5. and that's great because out of 100 million PCs, a very small fraction will be VR-ready, while all 100 million PS4 or PS5 are psvr-ready.

standalone means crappy minigames that look like 2005 games and a battery dying out in a mere 2 hours of use and then taking a long time to recharge - or putting extra weight on your head with extra battery.

don't fall for the standalone hype - it's all fitness and dancing minigame fans. Sony is not going after those crowds, hopefully this time around they're actually trying to sell VR to more gamers at large by, you know, actually bringing big known current games, rather than a few old games with VR mode years later. You know it sells by itself the moment GTA, COD, Apex Legends, RE8, GT7, Titanfall and others do offer VR mode...

kungfuian

it's called PlayStation VR for a reason. its PC is PS5. and that's great because out of 100 million PCs, a very small fraction will be VR-ready, while all 100 million PS4 or PS5 are psvr-ready.

standalone means crappy minigames that look like 2005 games and a battery dying out in a mere 2 hours of use and then taking a long time to recharge - or putting extra weight on your head with extra battery.

don't fall for the standalone hype - it's all fitness and dancing minigame fans. Sony is not going after those crowds, hopefully this time around they're actually trying to sell VR to more gamers at large by, you know, actually bringing big known current games, rather than a few old games with VR mode years later. You know it sells by itself the moment GTA, COD, Apex Legends, RE8, GT7, Titanfall and others do offer VR mode...
Stand alone might be limited for now, but hybrid sets have the potential for much greater sales than 100% hardware reliant sets. It's just a matter of potential scale.

I do hear what your saying and I agree on some points , especially about the limitations of stand alone experiences, but none of that changes the inherent limitations of Sony's VR business model (or PC VR for that matter).

You compare PSVR to PCVR but in reality they both have the same limitation. They require external hardware to do the heavy lifting (and offset hardware costs). As a result both have limited the potential hardware sales to the pool of VR ready systems. For PSVR that's +/-100 million and for PC probably less (don't know numbers but based on PCVR sales prob. half that.) The point stands, total potential customers are, and will continue to be, significantly limited due to their dependence on other hardware.

100 million might sound like a lot but it's not once it gets all the way down to software sales. That's where you have a real problem because you end up with a fraction of a fraction of that original 100 million. For example this last gen Sony was able to sell +/-5 million to a base of +/-100 million. If you're a developer that 5 million is a pretty small base to sell your games to, and of that you'd be lucky to get 10%-20%. How much is that? 500 thousand to a million potential sales?

To your point about big games, I agree that big name games do/will help sell hardware, but total VR hardware sales are still governed by the total number of PS4/5's. As a result who's going to create exclusive big name games on the platform other than platform holders? Why would they bother? It's just not financially viable. It's a chicken and egg situation I don't see changing based on the business model.

On a personal note I could care less how many they sell. I loved my PSVR and will get the new one day 1. I'd say the first one punched way above it's weight compared to my Vive and Index (expensive fucking things), and I can't wait to see what they do with PSVR 2. RE 7 (next to HL Alex on Index) was the most incredible gaming experience I've had in the last 10 years. I can't wait to see what they do with the new set.

Last thought- I think the true value of the PSVR for Sony is the effect it has on the PS brand. They benefit greatly by being the only ones to offer VR and score major points with the enthusiasts because of it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm getting it on day one anyway. PSVR 2 is what I'm most hyped for in this generation. It'll be glorious!

This lineup and backward compatibility with PSVR 1 games would just be a beautiful bonus!

No question - and I’ve already played Alyx. Honestly anybody who’d skip out on these three titles in VR would be seriously missing out

I can't create threads, this is the most recent/relevant place for this. It could be wrong but it would make sense as a date for PSVR2 to launch in this time period following on from PS5.
Sony Group Corp. plans to use Samsung Display Co. OLED panels in its next-generation PlayStation VR goggles, according to people with knowledge of the matter. The Japanese console giant sold more than 5 million units of the original PS VR, launched in 2016, and is aiming to release the successor in the holiday period next year, the people said, asking not to be named discussing internal plans.

A Sony spokesperson and a Samsung Display representative declined to comment.

FunkMiller

The issue PSVR2 has is the Quest. It’s fast become the cheapest, biggest selling, and easiest to use VR headset. It runs its own games, and is absolutely brilliant as a wireless PCVR headset. That kind of competition didn’t exist when PSVR was launched. PSVR2 is going to have to show us something a lot more special than Alyx, and RE 8. It’s going to need a lot of exclusive, full length games to, persuade people to buy it… and that’s if they already have a Ps5.

Shmunter

The issue PSVR2 has is the Quest. It’s fast become the cheapest, biggest selling, and easiest to use VR headset. It runs its own games, and is absolutely brilliant as a wireless PCVR headset. That kind of competition didn’t exist when PSVR was launched. PSVR2 is going to have to show us something a lot more special than Alyx, and RE 8. It’s going to need a lot of exclusive, full length games to, persuade people to buy it… and that’s if they already have a Ps5.
Is it? I would have thought the 2 to be like apples and oranges to core gamers.

Maybe you need a poll on here to see if any ps gamers would chose a mobile solution over a ps5 powered one?

Rudius

Quest is weaker then a PS4, while the PS5 has double the minimum requirements to play Alyx (and DF showed that a minimum requirement PC can play it very well). I want to play AAA VR games without paying a fortune for a PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom