• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sony had made that purchase, many of y’all would not being saying that it’s anti-consumer for Microsoft to make Bethesda games exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derktron

Banned
I’m sorry but before I begin my argument here, I want to point out. I’m in no way offending or acting in a fanboyish way. I’m only stating the facts (opinion) in what I see. (So if the mods think it’s too much then by all means close this thread)

Many online are in rage that Microsoft purchasing Bethesda is anti-consumer only because Microsoft could potentially make Bethesda games exclusive for their ecosystem. Which is absurd to even think that it’s not fair when Bethesda and Sony have an exclusivity deal for two games to stay on PS5 for a year or two. (In which Microsoft will still honor that deal). So if Microsoft had not purchased Bethesda how would that be fair for Xbox players and let’s not forget that allegedly Sony tried to bid Starfield as an exclusive deal for their console. (Timed). So if the tables were turned and Sony had somehow bought Bethesda, would Sony fans would not be acting this way and saying it’s anti-consumer. They would be celebrating the fact that Sony would definitely put ALL Bethesda games exclusive and took away the gaming deals that Microsoft has and took away support for online games like ESO and Fallout 76. Overall I don’t know why people online are complaining about this deal when it was them who forced Microsoft to be aggressive over getting studios and games. (Even though in my opinion they should do it differently even if it takes them years. But at some point they had to act aggressively)

What are your thoughts about this, do you think it would be fair for Microsoft to make future Bethesda games potentially exclusive to Microsoft’s ecosystem?

Buying studios or even publishers is fair game whoever does it.

Its the timed exclusive crap which is scummy. That’s just paying some money to temporarily withhold content from another platform. It’s not fair on the consumer to buy a game for the same price as everyone else, but get it, or parts of it at a later date.

playXray

Buying studios or even publishers is fair game whoever does it.

Its the timed exclusive crap which is scummy. That’s just paying some money to temporarily withhold content from another platform. It’s not fair on the consumer to buy a game for the same price as everyone else, but get it, or parts of it at a later date.
That’s kinda true, but at the same time as a consumer I would prefer to get it late than not at all.

Wizz-Art

Of course it's fair, it are their studio's. I didn't hear anything – and rightfully so – when Insomniac got purchased last year. They're not obliged to put their games on competitor systems.

What I don't understand and doesn't make any sense – and maybe a Sony fan can explain – why Sony fans feel that Xbox that spend 7,5 billion for the ZenziMax acquisation will also port their games to PS while already porting it to PC. As far as I know there wasn't a single Xbox fan who port begged for any PS first party games to also release on Xbox, simply because it was common sense that's not happening.

Now in vice versa there's so much salt and Sony fans hoping that Xbox first party studio's are gonna release on their systems. Sorry but that's not only absurd, it will not happen period!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think you've misunderstood. For the whole generation, Xbox has been calling Sony anticonsumer because phill Spencer deliberately instilled that idea into their heads with his usual PR. Now the shoe is on the other foot, Sony fans are taking the opportunity to show how hypocritical Spencer and his fans are.

Yoboman

Whats with this narrative that Sony forced them to buy Bethesda when MS have been buying up developers across the industry for 2 years now? And before that were synonymous with money hat deals like Tomb Raider and Titanfall

If anything Sony locking down exclusives is just Sony being reactive to MS's monopolising

Jerm411

I think you've misunderstood. For the whole generation, Xbox has been calling Sony anticonsumer because phill Spencer deliberately instilled that idea into their heads with his usual PR. Now the shoe is on the other foot, Sony fans are taking the opportunity to show how hypocritical Spencer and his fans are.

No one from XBox or MS has called Sony anti consumer...the fuck is this nonsense?

Dargor

If sony had made this purchase the same hypocrites that were crying about temp exclusives would be doing just that OP.

But since they are, in fact, hypocrites they are now saying how great this is. And funny as hell, I even called it when the purchase was announced :pie_roffles: .

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I never said they were anti consumer I said they probably won’t make most of the games exclusive. Microsoft fanboys really seem to be projecting there wishing it is true but MS has always been about selling software over hardware. They have a long history of selling software on other people’s machines. Odd that people are so blinded by console wars they ignore business reality:

71G3OvK3txL._SL1500_1024x1024.jpeg

Last edited:

Jerm411

LOL. You live a sheltered life I guess. Of course, no one has EVER said Sony shouldn't have exclusives, exclusives don't sell consoles and MS 'don't like to monopolise exclusives'. Seriously, it's amazing how memory goes missing when it's convenient.

My memory isn’t going anywhere....what you said is patently fucking false.

Of course MS is going to use their own marketing...just like Sony does.

Apparently your fucking memory is going missing as you’re already shifting the goal posts...it went from XBox saying these things to ANYONE saying them.

Pick a lane and stick in it....

Unknown?

I’m sorry but before I begin my argument here, I want to point out. I’m in no way offending or acting in a fanboyish way. I’m only stating the facts (opinion) in what I see. (So if the mods think it’s too much then by all means close this thread)

Many online are in rage that Microsoft purchasing Bethesda is anti-consumer only because Microsoft could potentially make Bethesda games exclusive for their ecosystem. Which is absurd to even think that it’s not fair when Bethesda and Sony have an exclusivity deal for two games to stay on PS5 for a year or two. (In which Microsoft will still honor that deal). So if Microsoft had not purchased Bethesda how would that be fair for Xbox players and let’s not forget that allegedly Sony tried to bid Starfield as an exclusive deal for their console. (Timed). So if the tables were turned and Sony had somehow bought Bethesda, would Sony fans would not be acting this way and saying it’s anti-consumer. They would be celebrating the fact that Sony would definitely put ALL Bethesda games exclusive and took away the gaming deals that Microsoft has and took away support for online games like ESO and Fallout 76. Overall I don’t know why people online are complaining about this deal when it was them who forced Microsoft to be aggressive over getting studios and games. (Even though in my opinion they should do it differently even if it takes them years. But at some point they had to act aggressively)

What are your thoughts about this, do you think it would be fair for Microsoft to make future Bethesda games potentially exclusive to Microsoft’s ecosystem?
What about Xbox fans though? Spending half of this gen and going into the next calling everyone anti-consumer and how MS doesn't care about selling consoles they want you to buy their games wherever and now they no longer think that. Suddenly MS does care about hardware and exclusives.

I seriously doubt the bigger games will be kept off of Sony consoles though.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
My memory isn’t going anywhere....what you said is patently fucking false.

Of course MS is going to use their own marketing...just like Sony does.

Apparently your fucking memory is going missing as you’re already shifting the goal posts...it went from XBox saying these things to ANYONE saying them.

Pick a lane and stick in it....

The only reason Sony fans are pointing this out is because for all the last generation Xbox fans have been calling Sony anti-consumer. It's nice to see 'we don't believe in buying exclusives' Spencer, finally realise that exclusives sell console. Well, 'admit' would likely be the better word there. Gotta find some way out when you make millions and their fans talk about nothing else but MS make millions, while simultaneously accepting didn't invest that money in exclusives for fans. But that's because they don't sell consoles ... right ...

I never said they were anti consumer I said they probably won’t make most of the games exclusive. Microsoft fanboys really seem to be projecting there wishing it is true but MS has always been about selling software over hardware. They have a long history of selling software on other people’s machines. Odd that people are so blinded by console wars they ignore business reality:

Jerm411

The only reason Sony fans are pointing this out is because for all the last generation Xbox fans have been calling Sony anti-consumer. It's nice to see 'we don't believe in buying exclusives' Spencer, finally realise that exclusives sell console. Well, 'admit' would likely be the better word there. Gotta find some way out when you make millions and their fans talk about nothing else but MS make millions, while simultaneously accepting didn't invest that money in exclusives for fans. But that's because they don't sell consoles ... right ...

What the hell are you even trying to say...?

Funny how you only call Spencer out for talking out of both sides of his mouth....care to do the same with Jim “we believe in generations” Ryan?

Wizz-Art

2011... Since then Microsoft got a new CEO and the shift in selling software to a subscription model was being put in place. Also this new CEO wants Xbox to be one of the main pillars for the company, he believes in gaming and promoted a key figure like Phil Spencer to the head of the division.

DeaDPo0L84

I would have only been upset by Sony buying Bethesda cause that would have possibly disrupted the chance of those games being on PC. Honestly with Microsoft buying them it changes absolutely nothing for me personally.

FranXico

It was really cool when Xbox pioneered getting big timed exclusives like COD DLC and GTA4 DLC for a year back on 360.... but it really sucks now when PlayStation do it. It's fair for XBox but when PlayStation are winning and do it...it's anti-consumer.
It was not only fair... it was applauded by the press. The same press that has concerns over Sony anti-consumer practices.

Paraphrasing someone from youtube, it's like watching David go against Goliath, and pretending that Goliath is the underdog.

Last edited:
Waiting 6-12 month's Vs buying a $500 console for one game or not playing it at all...
🤔
Or... Release the game to both consoles, day and date. No exclusive content for each game. This reminds me of Soul calibur 2. I got to play as link, while my friend got to play as spawn. It would be cool to fight each other, but not possible, unless he bought a Gamecube or I bought an Xbox.

Last edited:
I would have only been upset by Sony buying Bethesda cause that would have possibly disrupted the chance of those games being on PC. Honestly with Microsoft buying them it changes absolutely nothing for me personally.
My thoughts exactly. If Sony had bought them, PC players would suffer, as well as Xbox players. At least we can still play all of these games, and potentially cheaper than buying them. At least Sony guys can play these games on their phones, so they aren't really left out. 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♂️

Dargor

Dude, just link him the thread about sony contacting everyone for deals, enough anti consumer to last the entire gen.

I’m still not sure to who exactly “anti-consumer”? Why should MS give shit about PlayStation or Nintendo costumers?

Its not? People are only making fun of the dudes that kept saying sony was anti consumer when they got temp exclusives, but now are applauding this :goog_rofl:

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
It was not only fair... it was applauded by the press. The same press that has concerns over Sony anti-consumer practices.

Paraphrasing someone from youtube, it's like watching David go against Goliath, and pretending that Goliath is the underdog.
I heard one that went like this.... MS is Goliath vs Sony as David but David doesn't even have a sling....

They love insulting a company for being smaller... these people are the most pathetic individuals I ahve ever had to listen to.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If games still came to PC I would be fine, if not would just be another reason to get a PS5.

For me the worse thing in gaming is exclusive in game content, time and full exclusive games don't bug me to much. Making a game worse on all but one platform just sucks.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It was really cool when Xbox pioneered getting big timed exclusives like COD DLC and GTA4 DLC for a year back on 360.... but it really sucks now when PlayStation do it. It's fair for XBox but when PlayStation are winning and do it...it's anti-consumer.

It's anti-consumer whomever does it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Its not? People are only making fun of the dudes that kept saying sony was anti consumer when they got temp exclusives, but now are applauding this :goog_rofl:
Sony, Nintendo and MS only care about their own costumers, I don't know where this idea come from that they also need to make their rival's costumers happy...since when?

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

I don't want any of Sony's first party games but it would be hillarious if I or another Xbox fan went into a Sony first party thread and begged for a port to Xbox. The reason why Sony fans don't even feel dumb for begging tells you how smart they are. If I would be interested in any of Sony's offerings I would buy their console, see how that works?

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
It is fair for MS to put the games where they believe they will make the most money. I believe allowing the two big titles, ES6 and Starfield to be on Sony's console makes the most money. MS might disagree and believe keeping them away and getting Game Pass subscriptions is better. They have 7.5 billion reasons they get to make that call. I am curious though, if MS allows those two on Sony consoles how will the MS fanboys react? Will they be upset like many were when MS games first started coming back to PC? I remember a lot of the fanboys throwing a fit and saying they no longer have a reason to buy an Xbox.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom