• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sony had made that purchase, many of y’all would not being saying that it’s anti-consumer for Microsoft to make Bethesda games exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe true, maybe not. There's no way to know for certain because none of us are inter-dimensional time travelers or mind readers. Ultimately, does it really matter either way? People are hypocrites, myself included - news at 11.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dunno, thats why this its funny, they don't care about what is being done but just who is doing it.
When people angry they throw "anti-consumer" even if it doesn't make sense in that context...because they simply angry.

You guys want to talk about actual anti-consumer? its when Sony sometimes decides to censor some Japanese games and as their costumer its effecting my enjoyment of those games......why? just because to make people who has no interest in those type of games in the first place happy.....now that being "anti-consumer".

Last edited:

cryogenic7

I’m sorry but before I begin my argument here, I want to point out. I’m in no way offending or acting in a fanboyish way. I’m only stating the facts (opinion) in what I see. (So if the mods think it’s too much then by all means close this thread)
You are engaging in fanboy behavior. Fanboys out themselves as either children that can only afford 1 console, or pathetic nerds that worship a corporation like a god.

Dargor

When people angry they throw "anti-consumer" even if it doesn't make sense in that context...because they simply angry.

You guys want to talk about actual anti-consumer? its when Sony sometimes decides to censor some Japanese games and as their costumer its effecting my enjoyment of that game......why? just because to make people who has no interest in those type of games in the first place happy.....now that being "anti-consumer".

Agreed, thats why I never claimed sony nor ms were anti-consumer when buying exclusives.

Just laughing at the hypocrites on my end :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sol_bad

I don't care about this whole anti-consumer argument.
What I do find interesting though is that Bethesda have copped a fuck tonne of shit from gamers this generation. Whether someone played on Playstation, Xbox or PC, they have had negative things to say about Bethesda. They have been criticised to high hell and back, and rightfully so. Basically for this whole generation, majority of people have been unhappy with how Bethesda have run things.
Now all of a sudden, because Microsoft bought them, Bethesda seem to be gaming gods and there are never ending threads about this whole topic and how amazing they are. It's very strange if you ask me.

Ofc they'd be happy if sony bought bethesda and locked its games up.
Scroll down here and read their comments being happy about spiderman not coming to other platforms on the avengers game.
At least microsoft releases their games on PC and does not force you to buy their console, and all PS fans here seem to have high end PCs. I don't know why people are outraged

Last edited:
What I do find interesting though is that Bethesda have copped a fuck tonne of shit from gamers this generation. Whether someone played on Playstation, Xbox or PC, they have had negative things to say about Bethesda. They have been criticised to high hell and back, and rightfully so. Basically for this whole generation, majority of people have been unhappy with how Bethesda have run things.
Now all of a sudden, because Microsoft bought them, Bethesda seem to be gaming gods and there are never ending threads about this whole topic and how amazing they are. It's very strange if you ask me.

Let's be honest, that's just angry forum warriors flinging shit at Bethesda because they don't like some aspect of the game, or they have a vendetta against multiplayer or whatever. This is an insignificant slice of the population.

And FO76 is awesome (y)

Of course it's fair, it are their studio's. I didn't hear anything – and rightfully so – when Insomniac got purchased last year. They're not obliged to put their games on competitor systems.

What I don't understand and doesn't make any sense – and maybe a Sony fan can explain – why Sony fans feel that Xbox that spend 7,5 billion for the ZenziMax acquisation will also port their games to PS while already porting it to PC. As far as I know there wasn't a single Xbox fan who port begged for any PS first party games to also release on Xbox, simply because it was common sense that's not happening.

Now in vice versa there's so much salt and Sony fans hoping that Xbox first party studio's are gonna release on their systems. Sorry but that's not only absurd, it will not happen period!
They think the install base of potential PS5s (40m units in like 2030) can generate significant potential profit, they forget that porting games to other platform has costs and Sony takes 30% of the revenues (revenues not profits). They also forget the console market is small when we include PC and mobile.

Last edited:
I agree, and we did the same to rockstar (before they released RDR2) they kept on milking money from GTA online the whole generation.
But these companies get the benefit of the doubt, same as sony first party studios despite how shit last of us part 2 was people still trust sony and know it will deliver. Those companies have the greatest IPs in the industry.

Last edited:

semicool

Banned
Well, Phil isn't making ANY XSX game exclusive.

EVERYTHING will at least be out on PC AND in effect, Android and iOS streaming. MS games just aren't going to come out on their DIRECT competitor. If Sony fans want to play MS exclusives, get a PC, Android, iPhone or possibly a Switch. Don't be so narrowed minded or be a shrill.

Do you comprehend now how Phil has NOT been hypocritical or dishonest when it comes to exclusives?

Excluding just your direct competitor, and putting your games on about EVERY other platform....makes MS games non exclusive. Can we stop being idiots about this now?

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

MS has been anti consumer since they paywalled your internet connection charging for Xbox live. Which spread to the other players doing it. This myth that MS is pro consumer isn't only funny it's false. If they ever monopolize gaming the way they want it won't be worth doing anymore.

Companies aren't pro-consumer. Companies are pro-money.

Companies are not our friends and do not owe us anything.

I think people forget this.

sainraja

Of course it's fair, it are their studio's. I didn't hear anything – and rightfully so – when Insomniac got purchased last year. They're not obliged to put their games on competitor systems.

What I don't understand and doesn't make any sense – and maybe a Sony fan can explain – why Sony fans feel that Xbox that spend 7,5 billion for the ZenziMax acquisation will also port their games to PS while already porting it to PC. As far as I know there wasn't a single Xbox fan who port begged for any PS first party games to also release on Xbox, simply because it was common sense that's not happening.

Now in vice versa there's so much salt and Sony fans hoping that Xbox first party studio's are gonna release on their systems. Sorry but that's not only absurd, it will not happen period!

See below.
MS is in a different path. It's due to MS's own decisions and statements that people question the exclusivity; it would never be questioned if it was a Sony acquisition.

I think it has been cleared up however, seems obvious that their big games will be on PC/Xbox only.

-------

Most of you guys know the answer to this already but I guess it's more fun to call others salty if they prefer or have a difference console than you.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well, Phil isn't making ANY XSX game exclusive.

EVERYTHING will at least be out on PC AND in effect, Android and iOS streaming. MS games just aren't going to come out on their DIRECT competitor. If Sony fans want to play MS exclusives, get a PC, Android, iPhone or possibly a Switch. Don't be so narrowed minded

The problem is though, the way they are positioning themselves is in direct competition with literally everyone else from mobile to PC!

Wizz-Art

See below.

-------

Most of you guys know the answer to this already but I guess it's more fun to call others salty if they prefer or have a difference console than you.

You can still buy a Xbox Series X/S console and a Game Pass subscription so you can download any of their first party offerings or buy the game outright if you choose to. You can also only buy a Game Pass subscription and stream the game to your phone or tablet through Xcloud. You can also subscribe to Game Pass PC and get the games there, or simply buy the game. There are many options.

Redlancet

Banned
nah i will say the same,i encourage the nurturing of studios to achieve triple AAA products with talent and quality,sony buying bethesda,sega or konami will be negative for me,but its this isnt the sony way,they buy studios who were cuasi second or first party like inmsoniac ( im got burned by ms and ea,a lot of people forgot that) so your argument its just a poor excuse,and seeing microsoft fans trying to paint the whole "sony buy exclusives too" its so much fun,microsoft spended the whole last two generation doing that right and left on the 360 era and the first years of the xbox one era,sony nurtured their studios and we know what happened next

It was not only fair... it was applauded by the press. The same press that has concerns over Sony anti-consumer practices.

Paraphrasing someone from youtube, it's like watching David go against Goliath, and pretending that Goliath is the underdog.
thats amazing to see to,the same press who cry wolf at anything related with sony ( see the spiderman on avengers thing) its cheering the whole publisher adquistions,the same guys who rave about paying full price for mario recopilations are telling us new games are overpriced ,double standars

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
What matters was how it was received at the time... you can't rewrite the past, PS is getting attacked for something xbox already got away with.

Re-write the past? What? It was anti-consumer there is no disputing that. It's not my fault people argued that in the past. Perception isn't necessarily truth. If you want to get existential about it then you are just spoiling for a fight and I'm not really interested in it.

Also why are you defending a billion dollar corporation that doesn't care about you at all so much? Microsoft and Sony don't give two cents about anyone except pleasing their shareholders.

Bryank75

Banned
Re-write the past? What? It was anti-consumer there is no disputing that. It's not my fault people argued that in the past. Perception isn't necessarily truth. If you want to get existential about it then you are just spoiling for a fight and I'm not really interested in it.

Also why are you defending a billion dollar corporation that doesn't care about you at all so much? Microsoft and Sony don't give two cents about anyone except pleasing their shareholders.
But my vision for gaming aligns with one more than the other.

MrS

Banned
MS did the right thing. Company takeovers like this are not anti-consumer. I commend Team Green for strengthening like this.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I bet you were praising Spencer's anti exclusive rhetoric. Rofl.
No, because I understand context. That quote was from an interview where he was asked if games were being held back by Xbox One. It was never about other platforms.

But please do continue to make a fool of yourself and bathe in salty tears, because I appreciate the entertainment.

Ok, settle down .... some hysterical children up in this forum.

Who gives a fuck? Really?
It's only been a few days since the acquisition and this forum is still a dumpster fire with rabid fanboys going at each other with no end in sight.

I'm staying off the forums and occasionally checking back because having straight up discussion about games is impossible without having to wade through oceans of trolling and console warrioring.

Vawn

Banned
Who is saying it's anti-consumer? I'm definitely not.

The argument is whether they still put Bethesds games on PlayStation or not. Whichever route they choose (or combination, case by case), isn't anti-consumer or pro-consumer. Those are meaningless terms anyway. A business should make decisions that make the most business sense.

Because it's very common for Sony to spend 7.5 Billion dollars to purchase one of the biggest multiplatform developper then force it to release games only on Sony Systems ...

Full list of Sony dev acquisitions over the years:

Psygnosis Limited (Lemmings, Wipeout)
Eidetic Games (Bubzy, Syphon Filter, Days Gone)
Naughty Dog (Crash , Jak and Daxter, Uncharted, Last of Us).
Guerrilla Games (Killzone , Horizon)
Zipper Interactive (Socom , Mag, Crimson Skies)
Sigil Games Online Inc (Vanguard : Saga of Heroes)
Evolution Studios (World Rally, Motorstorm, Driveclub)
Bigbig Studios (Pursuit Force, Motorstorm, Little Deviants)
Media Molecule (Little Big Planet, Teraway, Dreams)
Sucker Punch Productions (Sly Cooper, Infamous, Ghost of Tsuchima)
Insomniac Games (Spyro, Ratchet, Resistance, Sunset Overdrive, Spiderman)
Incognito Entertainment (Twisted Metal, War of the Monsters, Warhawk)

Looking at the list, you can see the vast majority were companies that had a partnership wtih Sony for years and were releasing tons of games as Sony exclusives. Only a handful of these studios ever released games on PC or any other Platforms, and most of them joined Sony after 10+ years of releasing only exclusives for the Playstation Platforms by the time they were purchased. The Purchase by Sony was made to "seal the deal" after years of collaboration between publisher and game developper, usually ensure these games and franchise would stay as staples of the Sony Roster (Securing Wipeout, Socom, Little Big Planet, Infamous, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc.
Now Let's look at the Microsoft Acquisition (Wiki didn't have Zenimax yet, but anyway you guys know the deal by now).:

343 IndustriesEstablished to oversee the development of the Halo science fiction media franchise following the departure of Bungie Studios. Named after the Halo character 343 Guilty Spark.
Compulsion GamesGames include Contrast and We Happy Few.
Double Fine ProductionsFounded by Tim Schafer after his departure from LucasArts. Games include: Psychonauts, Brütal Legend, Broken Age. Double Fine has also been able to acquire rights to remaster some of the earlier LucasArts adventure games, including Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, and Full Throttle.
inXile EntertainmentFounded by Brian Fargo and specializing in RPG games. Titles prior to acquisition include the Wasteland series and Bard's Tale series.
Mojang StudiosDevelopers of Minecraft, the best-selling video game of all time.
Ninja TheoryConsidered an "Independent AAA" studio prior to acquisition. Games include Kung Fu Chaos, Heavenly Sword, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, DmC: Devil May Cry, and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.
Obsidian EntertainmentSpecializes in RPG games like The Outer Worlds, Obsidian previously worked on licensed games like Fallout: New Vegas, Dungeon Siege III, and South Park: The Stick of Truth.
Playground GamesWorked with Turn 10 Studios on the Forza Horizon series. Currently in development of the next Fable game[83]
RareDeveloper of several franchises prior to acquisition, including Battletoads, Killer Instinct, Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Perfect Dark. Under Microsoft, has developed several games like Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo: Elements of Power, the Viva Piñata series, Rare Replay and Sea of Thieves.
The CoalitionFormerly called Black Tusk Studios, renamed to Microsoft Studios Vancouver on acquisition to work on Microsoft Flight. Following the 2014 Microsoft acquisition of the Gears of War series from Epic Games, the studio was renamed to The Coalition and put in charge of future Gears games.
The InitiativeEstablished to act as a first-party developer similar in role to Sony's Santa Monica Studio. Led by Crystal Dynamics veteran Darrell Gallagher.[84][85]
Turn 10 StudiosEstablished by Microsoft to develop the Forza Motorsport series.
Undead LabsEstablished with sole focus on the zombie-based State of Decay series.
World's EdgeCreated internally within Xbox Game Studios to commit more resources and dedicated leadership to the Age of Empires franchise.[86]
As you can see, a huge portion of the studios MS has acquired were essentially multiplatform developpers that were purchased and then forced to become Xbox first party developers even though they often had fanbases in other platforms. While there's a few "securing our franchises" purchases like securing Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable , the vast majority of the pucrhases were studios that often made games for all platforms, and now only release on Xbox.

Thus, based on the presented evidence, I think all I can say is "YES" it would be an anti-consumer move if Sony was to purchase Zenimax for 7.5 Billion dollars , then force them release games that were previously multiplatform only on their platform... But as history shows, Sony pretty much never did such a move, as all their purchased devs were essentially first party game developpers with almost zero multiplatform games in their portfolios, so nobody was hurt by the purchase by Sony. The only publisher that has consistently shown a pattern of throwing obscene sums of money at existing multiplatform developpers so they become pemanently exclusive is Microsoft, and as such , one can argue the only one that is anti-consumer here is MS because of it.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of platform holders buying publishers regardless of who does it, while I get why it's done it really does nothing to bring more content to your platform it just takes it away from other people. What benefit to xbox owners really get with this? They were already getting ES6, Starfield and Doom 10,000 Wolfenstein 10,001 and whatever other smaller games Bethesda was going to publish, this just takes it away from PlayStation gamers in an attempt to lure them into buying an xbox console as well.

MS greatly over paid, even if they keep doing multiplatform games it's not worth the price they paid but if as I'm sure will happen all of the big games stay exclusive there is no way these studios bring in enough money to make the purchase worth it long term and eventually some of these studios will likely be shut down or turned into mass production units for small filler games for GP to fluff the numbers.

It is always the case, many people here are too fanboyish and whenever their side does x then it is okay but if the other side did y its bad.

GiJoint

If Sony had the spare moolah they would be hunting down bigger fish to buy out and make their IPs exclusive, they’re just doing it on a smaller scale - living within their means, timed exclusives etc

Tmack

What worries me (and many more, i believe) is that lingering feeling that microsoft paid way too much and in the end that`s unsustainable and i the end that`s anti-consumer. Not to mention if MS pulls a rare on this....

semicool

Banned
The problem is though, the way they are positioning themselves is in direct competition with literally everyone else from mobile to PC!
This, competing, has NOTHING to do with the games being EXCLUSIVE to the XSX console, the specific platform. The games are on VARIOUS platforms and ENDLESS device types. Super high AVAILABILITY to consumers. Opposite of device EXCLUSIVITY.

Compression fail.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

MS greatly over paid, even if they keep doing multiplatform games it's not worth the price they paid but if as I'm sure will happen all of the big games stay exclusive there is no way these studios bring in enough money to make the purchase worth it long term and eventually some of these studios will likely be shut down or turned into mass production units for small filler games for GP to fluff the numbers.

I don't pretend to be some smartass on a gaming forum that claims he knows Microsoft overpaid for the ZeniMax acquisition. I also reckon they have a bunch of paid smartasses employed who have a much better understanding of something they buy then some random gaming board member. Speculating while not knowing any inside facts doesn't make you look clever.

Azurro

Banned
I don't like what MS is doing, to be honest. I think they are trying to disrupt the market since they can't get a win in the usual way the market works, but I personally believe it will devolve into low value games intended to act as filler for the subscription service. As such I don't think they will keep Bethesda's games with the same type of investment and time to develop (even if I personally didn't play them, but I liked the philosophy of making single player games).

However, HOWEVER, the term "anti-consumer" is really vague and no one really knows what it means. To most people, or at least in forums and such, it simply means "something I don't like". To some other people, it means "I should get everything for free or as cheap as a couple of cups of coffee", which is a silly mentality, as creating this stuff costs money and if we want more products like it, companies need to recoup their investment and make a profit.

So, it's a nebulous term and personally I mostly see it when people want to appear smarter than they actually are or make their point have more importance than it actually does. Does it suck that we PS fans won't get Bethesda's games? For sure. Was it "Anti-Consumer"? I don't know.

Most gaming forums are tilted towards sony simply because there are so much more Sony consoles under people’s tvs compared to xbox

i Actually think this sort of stuff is good..in particular for Sony as they have probably been in coasting mode now for the last 4 years so a kick in the ass means we win as gamers

both consoles are gonna have great games...enjoy the ride

oldergamer

I don't pretend to be some smartass on a gaming forum that claims he knows Microsoft overpaid for the ZeniMax acquisition. I also reckon they have a bunch of paid smartasses employed who have a much better understanding of something they buy then some random gaming board member. Speculating while not knowing any inside facts doesn't make you look clever.
Exactly!

quest

Not Banned from OT
It is funny there was a long thread of Sony warriors styling and profiling when the insiders talked about mr. money hat Ryan's trip to every third party to content starve Microsoft out of the market. The message was Microsoft should git gud. They git gud I guess amiright?

Buying zenimax was probably the only way to prevent money hats of every single zenimax game or someone like Amazon stepping in. Sony locked up death loop, Tokyo wire and was ready to close starfield. Blame Ryan for this he forced Microsoft to act by trying to content starve them out of the market. Punch someone in the face a few times don't be shocked if they roundhouse kick you in kind.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
MS greatly over paid, even if they keep doing multiplatform games it's not worth the price they paid...

1) This is about increasing offerings for gamepass and cloud gaming ultimately. Good summary here (Nasdaq) about the explosion expected from analysts in cloud gaming. Some good insight.

2) Unless you can see the future or have access to Bethesda's private books you don't know if they overpaid or not.

Buying studios or even publishers is fair game whoever does it.

Its the timed exclusive crap which is scummy. That’s just paying some money to temporarily withhold content from another platform. It’s not fair on the consumer to buy a game for the same price as everyone else, but get it, or parts of it at a later date.

I still can’t comprehend this notion. So it’s better to never get the game or any from that particular company due to a buyout than to having to wait for it? Not saying timed exclusives are fair or anything, but I feel an acquisition is much more “anti-consumer” technically for the consumer. Not seeing how that is better for the consumer when they will probably never see the game on their platform of choice at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom