• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sony had made that purchase, many of y’all would not being saying that it’s anti-consumer for Microsoft to make Bethesda games exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Sony made the purchase would really suck... Hard to imagine an ES game not on PC..

For a PC only gamer this is bad either way. Trading one franchise for the eventual loss of another.... the question is when and who......cause..

retribution.gif

Never worry about a thing by owning a PC and a Sony console platform. Peace of mind in these times of war.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think we can all agree that timed exclusives are pretty shit. Doesn't matter who does it, cause no one wants to be on the shit end of a timed exclusive, and having to wait to finally be able to play said game.
Although some times you get a better game with all the DLC and patches

Zok310

Banned
Damn, is this all yall got to talk about about. New consoles are about to launch and this is all you guys keep bringing up?

Lets talk about next gen gam.....ahhh never mind.

Last edited:

sainraja

You can still buy a Xbox Series X/S console and a Game Pass subscription so you can download any of their first party offerings or buy the game outright if you choose to. You can also only buy a Game Pass subscription and stream the game to your phone or tablet through Xcloud. You can also subscribe to Game Pass PC and get the games there, or simply buy the game. There are many options.

I guess I need to remind you that the question you were asking is why people are thinking it wouldn't be exclusive. The answer to that, you already should have known. It is because it was Microsoft who made statements such as they would look at it on a case by case basis, etc.

I understood that what they were saying then was because it sounded good. Not because they actually meant it. With the Bethesda & other studios purchase, the situation is very different from when the original statements were made. I personally don't think they will be putting anything on the PS5; I would be surprised if they did go ahead with what they were saying originally around this whole subject.

Last edited:

Dane

If you werent trying to moneyhat every developer possible to push people into your console by killing the Xbox version and trying to be a near monopoly as the PS2, especially with MS long time partners who announced the games with no platform and left interpretation that they were multi because the company releases since Oblivion were multiplats, it wouldn't have happened.

Journey

Banned
When Sony acquired Insomniac, robbing Xbox gamers from ever getting a sequel to Sunset Overdrive, it was called a Megaton and a win for Sony. Zero fucks given by Sony fans, absolutely no concern whatsoever, in fact they defended the idea. No mind reading required to figure out if Sony bought ZeniMax, we would see a celebration 🍾

Last edited:

devilNprada

For a PC only gamer this is bad either way. Trading one franchise for the eventual loss of another.... the question is when and who......cause

As a TES fan though, I also fear the budget gets nerfed by being an exclusive day one gamepass. I expect a fucking huge ambitious game.

Ten_Fold

I love Sony, but some Sony fans for sure was crying for them to either buy konami or Capcom, like damn let Microsoft have something interesting.

Journey

Banned
As a TES fan though, I also fear the budget gets nerfed by being an exclusive day one gamepass. I expect a fucking huge ambitious game.

It will be available on disc and on PC, unless you believe that every gamer alive that plays Elder scrolls also has GamePass, then that’s actually a good thing, that’s a lot of freaking subscribers, it’s like saying Game of Thrones won’t be a high budget series because no one is buying the DVDs anymore and instead depend on HBO subscribers.

Last edited:
Can you guys stop making threads about this no one really cares. Anti-consumer is a dumb term no one cares about. Vote with your wallet and stop crying.

Most gaming forums are tilted towards sony simply because there are so much more Sony consoles under people’s tvs compared to xbox

i Actually think this sort of stuff is good..in particular for Sony as they have probably been in coasting mode now for the last 4 years so a kick in the ass means we win as gamers

both consoles are gonna have great games...enjoy the ride
Games released in last 4 years:
God of War,
Death Stranding,
Spider-Man,
Ghost of Tsushima,
Days Gone,
The Last of Us 2,
Dreams,

= Sony coasting.

2OYC.gif

Brofist

For a PC only gamer this is bad either way. Trading one franchise for the eventual loss of another.... the question is when and who......cause..

Never worry about a thing by owning a PC and a Sony console platform. Peace of mind in these times of war.

Sure if you say so

Zannegan

It was really cool when Xbox pioneered getting big timed exclusives like COD DLC and GTA4 DLC for a year back on 360.... but it really sucks now when PlayStation do it. It's fair for XBox but when PlayStation are winning and do it...it's anti-consumer.
...or it was never cool with a lot of us, and the same people who called MS out for their Tomb Raider and CoD timed exclusivity BS are going to call Sony out for the same thing. *shrug*

Plus, you know there's a difference between actually investing in a studio to make them first party and just paying them to delay launch on another system.

Bryank75

Banned
...or it was never cool with a lot of us, and the same people who called MS out for their Tomb Raider and CoD timed exclusivity BS are going to call Sony out for the same thing. *shrug*

Plus, you know there's a difference between actually investing in a studio to make them first party and just paying them to delay launch on another system.
Well, I would love Sony to stop being tight-asses and get out and buy some publishers or make them subsidiaries. If they leave it too long, they will increase another few billion in price....

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was really cool when Xbox pioneered getting big timed exclusives like COD DLC and GTA4 DLC for a year back on 360.... but it really sucks now when PlayStation do it. It's fair for XBox but when PlayStation are winning and do it...it's anti-consumer.
It was really cool when Sony bought Pysgnosis in the 90s and stopped making Sega and computer multiplats soon after. And they did a big Eidos exclusivity deal so all console Tomb Raider sequels till 2000 were PS only.

No wonder the sequels never came to Saturn and N64.

The first entry in the series Tomb Raider was released in 1996 for personal computers (PC), PlayStation and Sega Saturn consoles.[7][8] The Saturn and PlayStation versions were released in Japan in 1997.[9][10] Its sequel, Tomb Raider II, launched in 1997, again for Microsoft Windows and PlayStation. A month before release, Eidos finalised a deal with Sony Computer Entertainment to keep the console version of Tomb Raider II and future games exclusive to PlayStation until the year 2000.[7][8] The PlayStation version was released in Japan in 1998.[11] Tomb Raider III launched in 1998.[8] As with Tomb Raider II, the PlayStation version released in Japan the following year.[12] The fourth consecutive title in the series, Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, released in 1999. In 2000, with the end of the PlayStation exclusivity deal, the game also released on the Dreamcast.[7][13] In Japan, both console versions released the following year.[14][15] Tomb Raider Chronicles released in 2000 on the same platforms as The Last Revelation, with the PlayStation version's Japanese release as before coming the following year.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
It was really cool when Sony bought Pysgnosis in the 90s and stopped making Sega and computer multiplats soon after. And they did a big Eidos exclusivity deal so all console Tomb Raider sequels till 2000 were PS only.

No wonder the sequels never came to Saturn and N64.

The first entry in the series Tomb Raider was released in 1996 for personal computers (PC), PlayStation and Sega Saturn consoles.[7][8] The Saturn and PlayStation versions were released in Japan in 1997.[9][10] Its sequel, Tomb Raider II, launched in 1997, again for Microsoft Windows and PlayStation. A month before release, Eidos finalised a deal with Sony Computer Entertainment to keep the console version of Tomb Raider II and future games exclusive to PlayStation until the year 2000.[7][8] The PlayStation version was released in Japan in 1998.[11] Tomb Raider III launched in 1998.[8] As with Tomb Raider II, the PlayStation version released in Japan the following year.[12] The fourth consecutive title in the series, Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, released in 1999. In 2000, with the end of the PlayStation exclusivity deal, the game also released on the Dreamcast.[7][13] In Japan, both console versions released the following year.[14][15] Tomb Raider Chronicles released in 2000 on the same platforms as The Last Revelation, with the PlayStation version's Japanese release as before coming the following year.
I was a Nintendo fanboy back then....

BootsLoader

Banned
I’m sorry but before I begin my argument here, I want to point out. I’m in no way offending or acting in a fanboyish way. I’m only stating the facts (opinion) in what I see. (So if the mods think it’s too much then by all means close this thread)

Many online are in rage that Microsoft purchasing Bethesda is anti-consumer only because Microsoft could potentially make Bethesda games exclusive for their ecosystem. Which is absurd to even think that it’s not fair when Bethesda and Sony have an exclusivity deal for two games to stay on PS5 for a year or two. (In which Microsoft will still honor that deal). So if Microsoft had not purchased Bethesda how would that be fair for Xbox players and let’s not forget that allegedly Sony tried to bid Starfield as an exclusive deal for their console. (Timed). So if the tables were turned and Sony had somehow bought Bethesda, would Sony fans would not be acting this way and saying it’s anti-consumer. They would be celebrating the fact that Sony would definitely put ALL Bethesda games exclusive and took away the gaming deals that Microsoft has and took away support for online games like ESO and Fallout 76. Overall I don’t know why people online are complaining about this deal when it was them who forced Microsoft to be aggressive over getting studios and games. (Even though in my opinion they should do it differently even if it takes them years. But at some point they had to act aggressively)

What are your thoughts about this, do you think it would be fair for Microsoft to make future Bethesda games potentially exclusive to Microsoft’s ecosystem?
You misunderstood the whole thing.

Dolomite

From an interview last year. I doubt MS spent 7.5 billion purchase a change of heart. Wouldn't call this a monopoly if Sony did the same, but I would be just as shocked. and there would be just as much drama.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was a Nintendo fanboy back then....
SNES was my last Nintendo system. It was PS1 for me. N64 coming out a year or later wasn't the issue. It was the launch gamers which were awful. I could either get a PS1 or N64 in 1996, went with PS1.

I think my starting batch of PS1 games were Formula 1, RE, Tomb Raider, Tekken 2. Then got Ace Combat 2 and Legacy of Kain later.

Also, N64 games were $100 cdn. When PS games were $60 new or $40-50 used.

Ended up being an easy choice.

Last edited:

Agent X

t was really cool when Sony bought Pysgnosis in the 90s and stopped making Sega and computer multiplats soon after.

Psygnosis was acquired by Sony in 1993, but Sony granted them a level of autonomy. They continued making computer games until 2000. While they phased out most of their Sega/Nintendo developments after PlayStation was released, they did port over a few PlayStation games to both Saturn and Nintendo 64, including Wipeout and Destruction Derby.

During the late 90s, Sony Computer Entertainment also ported several non-Psygnosis PlayStation games to PC, including Twisted Metal 2 and NFL GameDay 99.

petran79

Banned

They even got exclusivity deals with Japanese publishers or in most cases got the better version of games too.
Though their online netcode was vastly better than psn.

Esca

I personally am not a fan of either side buying up a big publisher like this. But if i had to pick between Sony and ms owning zenimax I would choose ms for two reasons. 1. They else their games on the pc and 2. Ms needs to be competitive. Ultimately it doesn't effect me since I've always looked at zenimax titles to be far better on the pc in general due to mods

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I personally am not a fan of either side buying up a big publisher like this. But if i had to pick between Sony and ms owning zenimax I would choose ms for two reasons. 1. They else their games on the pc and 2. Ms needs to be competitive. Ultimately it doesn't effect me since I've always looked at zenimax titles to be far better on the pc in general due to mods
I agree.

No doubt MS is more open to multipat gaming than Sony. So it is the better choice.

I don't even game on PC anymore, but it's good to see Bethesda games will continue on PC, especially since that is the legacy platform for Bethesda games to begin with and that's where the tons of modders are. If Sony bought them somehow, don't be surprised if it became brickwalled behind a PS console.

Also, since the games will be on Game Pass, you'll get a lot of new gamers trying out Bethesda games instead of avoiding them due to a $60 price tag.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

I guess I need to remind you that the question you were asking is why people are thinking it wouldn't be exclusive. The answer to that, you already should have known. It is because it was Microsoft who made statements such as they would look at it on a case by case basis, etc.

I understood that what they were saying then was because it sounded good. Not because they actually meant it. With the Bethesda & other studios purchase, the situation is very different from when the original statements were made. I personally don't think they will be putting anything on the PS5; I would be surprised if they did go ahead with what they were saying originally around this whole subject.

And again if you can get some of those games in the future - if not all - on PC or through Xcloud and some will be on Nintendo Switch and even mobile - wich to everyone who has some understanding is what case to case refers to - this technically isn't exclusivity, it only means they will never be on PS. There are many many pro's to that and almost none cons.

I don't pretend to be some smartass on a gaming forum that claims he knows Microsoft overpaid for the ZeniMax acquisition. I also reckon they have a bunch of paid smartasses employed who have a much better understanding of something they buy then some random gaming board member. Speculating while not knowing any inside facts doesn't make you look clever.

The company wasn't even valued at $7.5 billion when it was making games for more platforms, now it'll be worth even less because they won't be making games for PlayStation which will still be the better selling of the two consoles by far. Knocking out over half of your potential customer base isn't really a great idea when you are spending that kind of money.

Wizz-Art

The company wasn't even valued at $7.5 billion when it was making games for more platforms, now it'll be worth even less because they won't be making games for PlayStation which will still be the better selling of the two consoles by far. Knocking out over half of your potential customer base isn't really a great idea when you are spending that kind of money.
The burden to prove it is on you, I can also claim Sony isn't worth 100 billion for instance but I need prove to stake such a claim.

Last edited:
It is anti consumer whoever does it. Xbox were getting these games regardless. So not sure why they’re celebrating? Phil paid 7 billion to stop Sony having these games Xbox were already getting.
That 7 billion could have been spent on new ips. So congrats for paying 7 billion for something you were already getting.
Before anyone says Gamepass. It will take a ridiculous amount of years probably the entire of next gen for Bethesda to even get close to that 7 billion in sales.

Redlancet

Banned
Well, Phil isn't making ANY XSX game exclusive.

EVERYTHING will at least be out on PC AND in effect, Android and iOS streaming. MS games just aren't going to come out on their DIRECT competitor. If Sony fans want to play MS exclusives, get a PC, Android, iPhone or possibly a Switch. Don't be so narrowed minded or be a shrill.

Do you comprehend now how Phil has NOT been hypocritical or dishonest when it comes to exclusives?

Excluding just your direct competitor, and putting your games on about EVERY other platform....makes MS games non exclusive. Can we stop being idiots about this now?

i love ohow
We don't have to speculate if the shoe was on the other foot because Sony would never do something like this.
is so funny how ms fanboys need to speculate this shit just to justified things they were labeled anti consumer by them two weeks ago

kuncol02

Banned
Sony bought one of best VR devs we had and everyone cheered them. Now they will probably never do any other VR game, relegated to making sequels to Spiderman and 99th sequel to Ratchet and Clank.

Laptop1991

Sony definitely would have made the games exclusive, Sony does that more than anyone else, so i prefer MS to own the Bethesda games out of the 2, i still think MS will make some of them timed exclusives at least.

dalekjay

Sony moneyhat SFV just so Xbox wouldn’t have, I always have all consoles Psn is crappy for online fighting game and I had to buy a Pc just for SFV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom