• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If there is a Mass Effect trilogy remaster + all DLC for PS4/X1, would you get it?

I was talking about this with a friend of mine and basically he brought up the point that anyone who could be interested in the first Mass Effect games has played them by now. There has been multiple releases for each game and they're also dirt cheap nowadays.

If there was such a thing for PS4 I would pick it up in a heart beat simply because of the small graphics upgrade, 1080p, the convenience of having them all in the same package, and all the DLC I never got to play. But because of the reason I mentioned, I think it's unlikely to happen.

Would you pick it up?

Yep and id probably play through all 3 happily

Ronnie

Banned
A Mass Effect Remastered trilogy would not only make me buy it, but also a PS4/XBO. At the moment I only have a Wii U.

plc268

BioWare and EA would have to put a lot of extra work into ME remasters in order for them to actually matter.

What helps a lot of the existing console remasters is that they already have PC versions with higher quality assets and graphics settings to pull from. The PC versions of the Mass Effect games are literally identical to the console versions except they allow anti-aliasing (I think, I'm not sure all of them do). They would have to come up with better assets and rendering features specifically for this remaster. I imagine the most EA would actually do is have all three games feature Mass Effect 3's rendering effects. They MIGHT freshen-up the textures and probably throw in some actual AA.

What's messed up is that the best thing about such remasters is that they'd probably include all the DLC. What's bullshit about Mass Effect is that EA never released any gold editions of any of the games. Even the trilogy pack doesn't include any of the DLC, and none of the DLC has ever been on sale on PC. I don't even think it's been price-dropped on PC. Getting all the Mass Effect 2 DLC on PC I'm pretty sure costs more than the base game.

It's been mentioned before, but the PC versions don't have native controller support, and DLC acquisition (for ME2, at least) is a convoluted mess. Even if there isn't much to improve for a PC version, I'd love to see DLC preincluded and proper controller support.

Mithan

Neo Member
I would purchase it, IF the graphics are improved and IF the scanning mini-game in ME2 was improved.

I play it on the PC though, so ME2 and ME3 are still fine.

Great series!

The weapons really aren't better than the stuff you can get conventionally; it's giving people end-game gear at the start of the game that's an issue.

No, they really are that broken. The Venom Shotgun is essentially a heavy weapon without the ammo limitations - you can one- or two-shot most of the toughest enemies in the game at early stages and with the right mods. The N7 weapons from the Collector's Edition are all near the top of their respective weapon classes.

All I'm saying is that I would drop $60 day-one for a complete version with all the DLC's and some remastered graphics, and that's coming from someone who already owns the trilogy and deluxe editions of the latter two installments. The reason why the last rerelease was so middling was because they literally just threw it on a disc and put the bare minimum of effort into it. I'd kill for a remastered version that has sharper graphics and all the frills.

foxdvd

I think it would be cool if they just released the Mass Effect 3 MP on the xbox one/ps4 for something like 15 bucks. Faster loading and better graphics for an already underrated coop experience.

royox

This thread is from 2014 and I'm still waiting. I mean, for God's sake EA we have remasters of literally EVERYTHING from the past gen and still not even an announcement of ME remaster. Even if you get the games today the DLCs for 2 and 3 are still at full price (not that I care, got them all on 360 but still I feel I'm stuck with that console if I want to replay them). Give us Shepard back!!!

/rant

ruvikx

Banned
Would I buy? Yes, of course. It should be noted the PC versions of ME1 & ME2 were never even that great anyway (with ME2 lacking loads of graphics options). As such (with the additional DLC packages included) any remaster would really be the definitive experience. Some tweaks to the engine would also be most welcome, including an improved character creation which carries over to all 3 games, i.e. a character creation based upon ME3 which as things stand is completely different to the first two games (custom faces in 1 & 2 don't import well into 3 at all).

I've wanted this package for nearly 5 years now & I'm still waiting.

levyjl1988

Banned
If Bioware wants us to get back into the Mass Effect franchise after the disasterous Andromeda they should release the complete Remaster of Mass Effect Trilogy. All DLC, high resolution. Fem Shep from ME3 as a selectable default for ME1 and 2. Optomized, etc.

No one wants to buy the next Mass Effect after Andromeda, the game was too terrible and uninteresting.

royox

No one wants to buy the next Mass Effect after Andromeda, the game was too terrible and uninteresting.

I liked Andromeda, I played it after they solved most of the "face issues" and it's a very enjoyable journey. Of course it could have been better (more planets, more new races) but I liked the setting, liked how the choices affected the last mission (a.la ME2), liked most of the crew and you can feel Ryder growing up mission by mission. They left a LOT of stuff unsolved for DLC and a part 2, a shame we are never going to have them (that's what happens when you give your biggest saga to the B team bioware)

Zannegan

Probably not. I know I'm in the minority, but I liked the mechanics and story beats of the first one far more than the second, and let's not touch the third. I'd be a lot more likely to look at a spiritual successor to ME1 if I'm honest.

DonF

This thread is from 2014 and I'm still waiting. I mean, for God's sake EA we have remasters of literally EVERYTHING from the past gen and still not even an announcement of ME remaster. Even if you get the games today the DLCs for 2 and 3 are still at full price (not that I care, got them all on 360 but still I feel I'm stuck with that console if I want to replay them). Give us Shepard back!!!
/rant
To be fair, the only remaster that EA has approved was burnout paradise. So yeah, we have tons of remaster this gen, but just 1 from EA.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Jesus, I check this thread in the hope that there is some news.....

tenor.gif

ruvikx

Banned
It's already on PC. I'd skip on it.

Yes, but as I already stated the ME2 (especially) PC version is basically a shit port of the console version. There's an absence of most settings PC gamers expect, ergo the PC version is absolutely not a 'definitive' version.

A remaster with all the dlc would be most welcome.

klosos

No point , just mod Mass effect 1 - https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/1 because it does look really bad , last time i played i remember seeing Garrius and thinking the textures looked terrible

2 and 3 aint to bad , so if they did remaster them and just made it look a bit better whats the point , either put major effort into it and change issues with all three games or don't bother in my opinion

ruvikx

Banned
Just play the PC versions?

No point , just mod Mass effect 1 - https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/1 because it does look really bad , last time i played i remember seeing Garrius and thinking the textures looked terrible

2 and 3 aint to bad , so if they did remaster them and just made it look a bit better whats the point , either put major effort into it and change issues with all three games or don't bother in my opinion

I feel like I'm repeating myself here, but, here's the ME2 configuration utility on pc (graphics settings):

Mass_Effect_2_External_Video.png

In game:

Mass_Effect_2_Video.png

Aka it looks & runs like an old game & is barely better than the 360 console version (mostly just a resolution bump makes it more palatable). Add the fact the dlc is really hard to come by & voilà, an entire trilogy just begging for a remaster. I'd find it a real bitch if the anti-remaster crowd sink their swords into the one franchise (Mass Effect) which really (I mean really) would benefit from a facelift on current gen consoles & pc alike.

That's just my opinion.

klosos

I feel like I'm repeating myself here, but, here's the ME2 configuration utility on pc (graphics settings):

Mass_Effect_2_External_Video.png

In game:

Mass_Effect_2_Video.png

Aka it looks & runs like an old game & is barely better than the 360 console version (mostly just a resolution bump makes it more palatable). Add the fact the dlc is really hard to come by & voilà, an entire trilogy just begging for a remaster. I'd find it a real bitch if the anti-remaster crowd sink their swords into the one franchise (Mass Effect) which really (I mean really) would benefit from a face lift on current gen consoles & pc alike.

That's just my opinion.

I mean i see you're point with the PC version not having all the bells and Whistles , compared to lets say a GTA5 on PC as but we are not even talking about a 9 year old game here ( released March 2010 ) If Bioware wanted to remaster something from there past go to Star wars- Knights of the Old Republic or Jade Empire.

to me it seems pointless , especially its also backward compatible with Xbox one

bigedole

I've never played these on console or any of the DLC. My favorite was actually ME2 mostly for the mechanics. I'd definitely buy a remastered collection with DLC. I'd probably pay 40 bucks for it too.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I loved those games, some of my all-time favorites. But I’m not really itching to replay them. Too much of a time sink when I already can’t come close to playing all the great games coming out.

They should get a remaster though for people who missed them and those who are itching for a replay. Maybe wait for a next gen remaster at this point though. They’d get more of a bump graphically and probably sell better in that usual game drought in the year after launch that most consoles experience.

johntown

Banned
Doubtful as I already own everything on PC and the console version would probably be glorified PC ports. Plus I despise EA and really don't want to have to give them any more money.

If it was done well though and looked better than what PC mods offer I would consider it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I might possibly play it, but a remastered trilogy of RPGs is a lot harder sell for me to actually play. That is a major time sink to get all at once. Honestly I see Bioware doing something different - remastering/re-releasing the games as standalone products at 40-60 USD. Plus that is just a very "EA" thing to do.

NickFire

I beat every single mission, side mission, etc., and played the heck out of ME3 multiplayer. Loved every minute. But that is way too much game to play again just because it gets remastered. I'd much rather see a proper sequel that brings Shep back.

VulcanRaven

I would buy if it was released on PS4. I played the first one for few hours some years ago but didn't finish it. It hadn't aged very well. I would definitely buy the games with better graphics.

Last edited:

TheSweeper

I replay the Mass Effect trilogy pretty much every year. I'd buy a remaster in a heartbeat.

I don't think they'll do it though.

royox

Would you like if Bioware gave ME1 the "Uncharted trilogy" treatment to keep the gameplay more uniform throught the 3 games?

Top Bottom