• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If there is a NSMB2 coming, what would you like to see improved?

batbeg

I long accepted nothing will come close to Super Mario Bros 3 for me, and trying to emulate the reasons it's so wonderful would probably result in failure :( I think trying to reimagine something like Super Mario World would serve a better purpose, and should probably be what it aims for.

But mostly I'll throw in the general complaints of it being too easy, too linear (which isn't a problem as a reimagining of the first Super Mario Bros, but it's just too easy for that to leave me content), pointless powerups (though blue shell is freakin' awesome in multiplayer), boring bosses, etc. The game lacked any identity and had some ridiculously muted music and boring graphics/style.

Not to say I didn't like NSMB, but it was a disappointment in a lot of areas.

Stronger emphasis on the awesome VS multiplayer. Ah, drunken summer days with VS mode while Twins played on the VCR and Genesis blasted through the speakers.

TreIII

Johnkers said:
A sequel to Super Mario Bros 2 (as in the non-Japanese one)

Co-sign this.

I always loved the SMB USA playstyle, and wished that Nintendo would end up doing more with it.

Besides, it's been far too long since we've seen the likes of Snifits, Cobrats, TryClydes, FryGuys, ClawGrips, Wart and friggin' Mousers. It always ticked me off how it seemed that Ninty seemingly only remembers Birdo, Bob-ombs and Shy Guys when it comes to SMB2/USA.

I would only ask for a couple of things.

* Possibly more characters/playstyles; from the original 4, they could just as easily add in the likes of Daisy, Toadette, Yoshi, Birdo, and maybe even Bowser/Bowser Jr. (since ideally this would be in SubCon again, they wouldn't have home turf advantage, and probably would need to team up with Mario and co. to get by)

* Make it a bit more difficult/longer/etc. Or at least, if you can't make it that way from the start, make a remixed "challenge" mode which can accomplish the same thing

* 2D graphics would be preferred, but I would accept well-done 3D that did a lot to mimic the old style

* 2D playstyle (natch, but should be said any way)

* Level creator; after Rockman Rockman/Mega Man Powered Up, this should be a standard feature in EVERY GAME. I'd love it if Ninty followed in line of Treasure and made it so we could trade without needing FCs and such, but eh...

The only real problem with NSMB was that they were way too generous giving out fire flowers, which made the game way too easy. Koopa shell and mini mario were excellent additions because they were actually balanced instead of making you insanely overpowered like most Mario powerups, they should have focused on them more.

Also, LOL @ people complaining that the game was too easy, and then demanding that they add powerups that let you fly over entire levels.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
nsmb was awesome, but graphically it was very wanting. super mario world is still much more appealing visually to me.

also, did anyone else feel that the game lacked cohesion? it almost felt like a series of mario platforming challenge levels, and not as if you were moving through worlds. that sounds pretty daft, but it was just the impression i got.

still, great game, and i look forward to the next.

Sixfortyfive said:
I have a feeling that everyone complaining about NSMB's bosses has forgot how utterly unimpressive and worse the bosses were in SMB1-3 and SMW.

Not that you mention it, bosses in Mario games all kind of sucks, I can't remember any good boss in this series :(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
RockmanWhore said:
Not that you mention it, bosses in Mario games all kind of sucks, I can't remember any good boss in this series :(

mario galaxy had excellent bosses. i also think it's the best mario game. but that's beside the point

JEKKI

New Super mario Bros was a fun game, but that's only becoz it's 2D mario!

the formula is there, you cannot screw it up!

that said, the problem with the game was level design... it sucked. The 3 coins in each stage were easy to find and there were no innovative or intuitive ways to use the powerups and abilities the game gave you.

You had special jump techniques given to your character which were absolutely unnecessary in the game, and the power-ups were just there as an add-on as opposed to an integral part of the gameplay.

Build more creative levels, and build them around the abilities your character can perform and the game will be fantastic.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'll start where Mac left off:

1. Harder
2. Less 1up/Powerup pickups.
3. Better music
4. More secret areas & branching paths

5. Secrets good, Collectathons, bad. (I hate the 3 coins thing)
6. Return to Sprites rather than polygons.
7. Yoshi!
8. Better themed worlds.
9. Koopa KIDS

Basically, make SMB3.5.

Rpgmonkey

Mac the KNife said:
-Harder
-Less 1up/Powerup pickups.
-Better music
-More secret areas & branching paths

Pretty much all I want, except I also want Yoshi and better level design that takes advantage of Mario's abilities (like the wall jump and such) more.

Sciz

Higher difficulty, presentation (art, music, world design) at least on par with SMW, and actual progression beyond SMW's formula rather than leaning heavily on the past.

jarosh

spiritual successor to super mario world with the creativity and inventiveness of mario galaxy. in fact, why not borrow the galaxy setting and make a 2d game out of it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
- more power ups
- riding yoshi (adding more rides isn't bad)
- branching levels (some that needs specific power ups or rides to reach)
- up the goddamn difficulty
- keep the 2.5D graphics i thought they were gorgeous
- more secret level
- a collectibles other than golden coins urging us to replay levels (something that affects the gameplay in some way)
- less 1ups
- NO MEANS FOR SKIPPING WORLDS

jarosh said:
spiritual successor to super mario world with the creativity and inventiveness of mario galaxy. in fact, why not borrow the galaxy setting and make a 2d game out of it.

awesome avatar jarosh... Nintendo add it please

Rayven

aka surume
Sciz said:
Higher difficulty, presentation (art, music, world design) at least on par with SMW, and actual progression beyond SMW's formula rather than leaning heavily on the past.
Exactly. I still play the originals, I don't need a greatest hits.

jarosh said:

I'd buy this in less than a heartbeat. The crazy gravity levels would be so much more fun if it weren't for the awkward camera.

RockmanWhore said:

800px-Kingfin.jpg

HUELEN10

First of all, it needs to be 3d ala Sonic Rush, because those rendered enemies and backgrounds at times looked fugly as hell. Better yet, keep it sprite based, and make the sprites look like something out of Wario land Shake, or even scribbly ala Kirby's Dreamland 3! Also, for a 2D Sidescroller (Remeber, DK 94 was not a sidescroller), this game has WAY TOO MANY MOVES. All we need is the simple jump, no triple jumps, OR WALL KICKS FOR THAT MATTER. Heck, even the ground pound might be pushing it. We need better music, something memorable like the Mario Land games, or even Mario World! Heck, you know what music would be good for the overworld, the BETA music of this game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMfYmIx99eE

Listen to that! that was the old overworld, but guess what? They raped the crap out of what it used to be, and put it on VS mode only. What a waste...

I am a huge Mario fan, so I was really disappointed with this title. We need less moves, better music, and better artstyle. The levels were actually decent, and with a lack of moves, would have be of difficulties comparable to prior installments.

Also blue shell? are you FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO FLYING?!?!?!?

I say we need an item like the leaf, or like the feather back. Depends on how the levels are made.

AH ONE MORE THING!

ENEMIES! Except for that ghost with punching gloves, these enemies were LAME. We NEED Super Mario World's variety, or better yet, Super Mario Bros 3's.

I'd like to see more complex level design. Perhaps less linear, like Yoshi's Island? Regardless, I'd like to see more unique obstacles, more secrets, better enemies and boss battles, collectables that will require you to explore every screen of a level (like Yoshi's Island), and better power-ups (there must be a flying item). Oh, and go back to sprites. The 3D models are fugly.

But to be honest, I would like to see a true NEW entry in the Mario platformer franchise. Instead of going back to remake what is an NES game essentially, I'd rather Nintendo do something more unique like with Super Mario Bros. 2 or Yoshi's Island-- a less orthadox title.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
-World map like World
-Yoshi
-All old powerups and one new one
-Double the game's length

namor7

go back to sprites, and take the style to the edge. make everything feel alive.

and yeah, the SMW map is the best. NSMB was a great game, but it lacked a bit of the magic.

I haven't played SMG yet, but for those who have, how would a 2D Mario game set in the Mario Galaxy world do? Could the 3D planets somehow translate to a 2D world? Maybe with a world map that goes from planet to planet?

jibblypop

Banned
i LOVE New Super Mario Bros so I don't really have too many complaints about it.
So for a sequel I would say stay the course and just base the gameplay off of Super Mario World. I loved NSMB's throwback to Mario 1 and would love the chance to play a throwback to SMW.

RazzleDazzleRB said:
I haven't played SMG yet, but for those who have, how would a 2D Mario game set in the Mario Galaxy world do? Could the 3D planets somehow translate to a 2D world? Maybe with a world map that goes from planet to planet?

I picture it somewhat like MC Kids for the NES. It had a block that reversed gravity.

sgherp.png

Barrett2

Get rid of that damned blue shell! It was designed by Satan himself!

Also, more imaginative levels; half the levels in NSMB were pretty boring.

Needs to be on wii ware
Needs an appealing graphical overhaul
Needs to reset lives on powerdown to encourage coin collecting which encourages platforming

Other than that the game was almost perfect. Music was great.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
namor7 said:
go back to sprites, and take the style to the edge. make everything feel alive.

and yeah, the SMW map is the best. NSMB was a great game, but it lacked a bit of the magic.

This. It felt like a clone, which is weird for a Mario game.

nincompoop said:
Also, LOL @ people complaining that the game was too easy, and then demanding that they add powerups that let you fly over entire levels.

SMB3 had flying and it was way harder than NSMB. Just because Mario should have a flight powerup doesn't mean the game will be any easier.

Troidal

NSMB was fun but it was also forgettable. Either that or I'm just old.

Not sure what I'd want for a sequel though...if it's an extension of SMB3, I guess I'd be down for it. They need to bring back all the suits (frog, tanuki, hammer, ...).

If Nintendo could somehow mix the level designs of Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 combined with Super Mario Galaxy-inspired music and stick it all on a tiny, little DS cart...I'm there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AdventureRacing said:
The best thing to come out of NSMB was the minigames. I love them and i still play them heaps today.

Those actually came from Super Mario 64 DS.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
i wouldn't mind seeing the battle ship stages from SMB3 making a return.

pulga

Banned
PantherLotus said:
I'll start where Mac left off:

1. Harder
2. Less 1up/Powerup pickups.
3. Better music
4. More secret areas & branching paths

5. Secrets good, Collectathons, bad. (I hate the 3 coins thing)
6. Return to Sprites rather than polygons.
7. Yoshi!
8. Better themed worlds.
9. Koopa KIDS

Basically, make SMB3.5.

This. Toss in some gravity levels a la Galaxy, a flight powerup and it'd be perfect.

C4Lukins

NSMB felt like a big downgrade gameplay wise from SMB3 and Mario World, so I really want to see something that builds on the series. I would also prefer 2D graphics instead of the quasi 3D models that look dated even on the small screen.

1. More intense platforming.
2. Secret stages with even more intense platforming.
3. Fewer 1 ups. No saving 1 ups. Make me NEED those coins nintendo!
4. More/varied powerups. Who doesn't remember how badass the hammer suit, or kuribo's shoe was? And we need a flying powerup as well, and no, flying powerups don't make the game easier. Go back and play SMB3, trust me, it was still plenty difficult even with a racoon tail.

Those are the main ones.

KevinCow

Banned
1) Better power-ups. The power-ups in NSMB were pretty much useless. Blue shell was ass, Mega Mushroom was kinda neat but just basically another take on the star and only appeared in like two levels. Fireball made everything too easy. I did like the Mini Mushroom, though, how it was more of a power-down and made getting some coins more challenging.

2) More unique levels. Go beyond the same grass level, ice level, desert level stuff that we've all played over and over again.

3) Better music.

Jiggy

-2D sprites or bust.
-Smoother controls. The momentum mechanics for running and jumping felt like some strange halfway fusion between SMB1 and SMB3/SMW, but I want it to feel fully like SMB3/SMW.

RockmanWhore said:
Seemingly they're all reserved for Mario spinoffs--namely Yoshi's Island, Super Princess Peach, and Yoshi's Island DS.

Top Bottom