• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Xbox and Playstation never came, and Sega, NEC & gang were still making consoles.....

Xbox and PS never happened. Which gaming platforms would you support now?

• Nintendo

Votes: 87 43.9%
  • Sega

Votes: 138 69.7%
  • NEC (maker of PC Engine/T-16)

Votes: 30 15.2%
  • SNK (maker of Neo Geo)

Votes: 37 18.7%
  • Some other console brand not listed

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • None. I'd be done with consoles and will play PC/mobile

Votes: 18 9.1%
  • None. I'd be done with gaming entirely

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I voted sega and Nintendo. But its basically impossible to know.
Its like a marvel "what if" episode but with gaming.
If there were no sony are ms, it would of effected Nintendo and segas choices.
Nintendo would likely of not of created the Wii because they likely would o
Is seen great sucess with n64+ gamecube.

In this alternate timeline I see sega being more accepting to 3rd parties, but R* started as DMA software which made body harvest, iirc Nintendo and DMA did not have the best working relationship after body harvest, but who knows what would happen with R* and GTA in this alternate timeline. I think sega would be more likely to take on the adult themed GTA and if that was the case and GTA3 was a Dreamcast exclusive, well the rest would be history.

sainraja

One thing's for sure, there'd still be a lot more variety and no dominant genre.
I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Actually Nintendo had pretty unscrupulous and restrictive contracts for third party manufacturers which prevented publications on other platforms, not to mention that both TurboGrafx and Master System sold much worse than the NES so it's only understandable that most games released on the NES.

All of this changed with the Genesis though, which brought the monopoly down. Sony wasn't the first one to do this. They were much more successful with it, but the weren't the first. Sega's market share during the Genesis days proofs this.
Sega had started to gain momentum with the Genesis but they didn't really bring the "monopoly" down. They stepped on their own foot and started talking about Saturn just when Genesis started to make some headway but all of that was gone fairly quickly when they wanted to work on Saturn (at-least the documentary that I saw highlighted this); then we had Nintendo & N64. Sony entering the scene, etc.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
If Sony didn't make their own console then the entire gaming industry would have shifted so dramatically that it is impossible to know what things would have been like without Sony. They only made the PlayStation because Nintendo went behind their backs to Philips when they were contracted to make a Nintendo console with CD-ROM support, and then Sony went to SEGA who basically turned them down and said Sony doesn't know the first thing about hardware.

For Sony to have not been in the running it would have required Nintendo or SEGA to not be an ass-hat, and whichever one wasn't the ass-hat would have had support from Sony. That would have changed everything.

Beyond this, Sony has always tried to innovate. They did this with CD-ROMs, with Blu-rays, with TVs, et cetera. Without Sony being directly involved in the video game industry it's possible that we wouldn't have seen near as many technological jumps that we've seen for the last couple of decades.

T8SC

amiga_art.jpg

It absolutely was. In the NES 95% of games from companies like Squaresoft, Konami, Capcom, Enix, etc were ALL Nintendo exclusives. Nothing was stopping them from putting their games on Sega, TurboGrafx, etc, but they didn't.

Only when Sony came, did the near-monopoly come down.

And I was someone who owned every Sega, TurboGrafx, 3D0, etc. But facts are facts. Nintendo was synonymous with videogames for a reason.

Well @SpongebobSquaredance and Magnific0giganticus Magnific0giganticus basically answered it, but there's a bit more to this. Master System dominated NES in Europe, even if the console market was smaller there versus microcomputers. Most of the big Japanese devs did support Genesis/MegaDrive: Capcom, Namco (as Namcot, because of Nintendo-related things the other posters mentioned), Konami, etc. as well as MegaDrive-exclusive 3Ps like Technosoft and Treasure..

Yes some like Square and Enix were holdouts but when talking about the breadth of total Japanese and Western 3P devs Sega saw a lot of support from them (and NEC, tho to a lesser extent). It's because of the Genesis why a literal monopoly was declared by the U.S government against Nintendo in an anti-trust lawsuit in 1991, by the way, and why Nintendo had to relax on their monopolistic licensing terms with third-party developers.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Sega had started to gain momentum with the Genesis but they didn't really bring the "monopoly" down. They stepped on their own foot and started talking about Saturn just when Genesis started to make some headway but all of that was gone fairly quickly when they wanted to work on Saturn (at-least the documentary that I saw highlighted this); then we had Nintendo & N64. Sony entering the scene, etc.

They "brought down" the monopoly by showing that a company other than Nintendo could be successful in the home console market, because for a very long time many thought it was a space only Nintendo could operate in when even companies like Atari had crashed and burned (at least in home consoles following 2600). It's because of them why companies like 3DO and SNK put out home consoles, and why Sony eventually jumped into the console market as well (if Sega could find some success, why not us?).

Saturn gossip in '93 or such wasn't actually impactful on Genesis/MegaDrive momentum. I'd even argue the Sega/Mega CD weren't, not when you look at Western Genesis/MegaDrive sales from '92 through '94 (when Sega CD was most active). No, the big impacts were the 32X push and STI fumbling the ball on some of their 1P output (although it got better by the time of games like Comix Zone and Vectorman), and SoA not porting over certain Japanese MegaDrive games that should've been localized for Western distribution.

If Sony didn't make their own console then the entire gaming industry would have shifted so dramatically that it is impossible to know what things would have been like without Sony. They only made the PlayStation because Nintendo went behind their backs to Philips when they were contracted to make a Nintendo console with CD-ROM support, and then Sony went to SEGA who basically turned them down and said Sony doesn't know the first thing about hardware.

For Sony to have not been in the running it would have required Nintendo or SEGA to not be an ass-hat, and whichever one wasn't the ass-hat would have had support from Sony. That would have changed everything.

Beyond this, Sony has always tried to innovate. They did this with CD-ROMs, with Blu-rays, with TVs, et cetera. Without Sony being directly involved in the video game industry it's possible that we wouldn't have seen near as many technological jumps that we've seen for the last couple of decades.

Not that I'm doubting Sony have been innovative because they definitely have. But I think we have enough evidence to see that they would've been MUCH slower on certain gaming features we take for granted now, if it weren't for competition. Sony were very slow on adopting online features, console/portable cross-functionality (partly because they were late to portables compared to Nintendo), etc.
But I do agree that things'd of been way different if either Nintendo or Sega partnered with Sony for a console. Ironically in both cases it was the Japanese sides that turned them down, almost makes me wonder if they'd of been better off partnering with The 3DO Company or Atari (tho I can understand why they didn't go to either; the former was brand new and the latter had lost a ton of brand power in the console gaming space over the previous 10 or so years).

sainraja

They "brought down" the monopoly by showing that a company other than Nintendo could be successful in the home console market, because for a very long time many thought it was a space only Nintendo could operate in when even companies like Atari had crashed and burned (at least in home consoles following 2600). It's because of them why companies like 3DO and SNK put out home consoles, and why Sony eventually jumped into the console market as well (if Sega could find some success, why not us?).
I mean, I guess, you can say that but I think the main driving factor for Sony entering the scene full-time was what happened during the Nintendo + PlayStation project. Ken Kutaragi had approached Sony's CEO to do a console and he was rejected the first time, it wasn't until the Nintendo incident he got approval/full support from Sony. Sega had already been in the game at this point (Master System in 1985) and they had plenty of time before Sony to do something to unseat Nintendo. Nintendo carried their success from NES to the SNES. Sega canabalized the sales of the Genesis just when it was gaining mindshare and traction by announcing the Saturn so quickly. The other misadventures surely didn't help (Sega Mega CD/32x).

Saturn gossip in '93 or such wasn't actually impactful on Genesis/MegaDrive momentum. I'd even argue the Sega/Mega CD weren't, not when you look at Western Genesis/MegaDrive sales from '92 through '94 (when Sega CD was most active). No, the big impacts were the 32X push and STI fumbling the ball on some of their 1P output (although it got better by the time of games like Comix Zone and Vectorman), and SoA not porting over certain Japanese MegaDrive games that should've been localized for Western distribution.
I definitely think Saturn was impacted the Genesis.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sega would have imploded with or without Sony. Sony didn’t end Sega, sega ended sega.

Drew1440

I do wonder if 3DO would have taken off if the PlayStation didn't exist. Iirc a lot of third parties wants to jump off Nintendo due to their policies of the time, and 3DO seemed to be the closest to the PlayStation (and Saturn).

It's important to remember that Sony screwed Nintendo first with the contract that would have left the latter without any royalties. Even if the deal went through, it would have been a likely one-off. One way or another, they basically strongarmed themselves into the industry.

In the event Sony didn't come 3DO would have taken its place as well as the M2. The N64 still would have been a corner cut, delayed, cartridge machine made by a company that pissed off third parties.

Xbox likely still would have entered, but due to Panasonic and Sony. Saturn would have done slightly better but Sega would still be in financial trouble by DC.

Also with no Sony, NEC may have went with the original 3D plans for PC-FX.

People would probably be playing NEC 5's, 3DO M3's, and maybe a niche Sega console. Maybe Atari and Nuon would have had some piece of the market too.

I do wonder if 3DO would have taken off if the PlayStation didn't exist. Iirc a lot of third parties wants to jump off Nintendo due to their policies of the time, and 3DO seemed to be the closest to the PlayStation (and Saturn).
Considering a lot of PS1s early start came from 3DO ports or games originally in development for it, yes.

Sega would have imploded with or without Sony. Sony didn’t end Sega, sega ended sega.

Same applies to NEC...mostly.

Jaguar was a dumpster fire console. Most 3D games never hit 30fps.
Many N64 games didn't hit that either. So didn't several Saturn games.

Not defending Jag but 30fps isn't the best argument against it in that time frame. Yeah it didn't have many but it also had a small library so...

Gaming wouldn't be as popular.
If argue it would be more popular given greater competition.

CD time and BR weren't Sony only things, neither were TVs, wut?

The Sony Sega things seems iffy because I don't know why Sega would reject Sony harder than 3DO.

But anyway this is a myth. Nintendo and Sony got back together after the beef but Sony thought it was pointless that late to make an addon and Nintendo was moving on to new hardware.

Also a myth, that the deal busting created the PS1. Sony had to have already been working on the hardware. There's no way the hardware and first wave of third party deals and production were all done in less than a year. It's literally impossible.

Likely Sony tried making their own device after their well reviewed CD-i machine. Then made some adjustments after the deal busted on hardware that was already almost ready.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
CD time and BR weren't Sony only things, neither were TVs, wut?

I never said they were. Wut?

The Sony Sega things seems iffy because I don't know why Sega would reject Sony harder than 3DO.

But anyway this is a myth. Nintendo and Sony got back together after the beef but Sony thought it was pointless that late to make an addon and Nintendo was moving on to new hardware.

Also a myth, that the deal busting created the PS1. Sony had to have already been working on the hardware. There's no way the hardware and first wave of third party deals and production were all done in less than a year. It's literally impossible.

Likely Sony tried making their own device after their well reviewed CD-i machine. Then made some adjustments after the deal busted on hardware that was already almost ready.

Apparently a "myth" is anything you've never heard of, even if it was actually true. Let me enlighten you:

"Sony came to us after they had been rebuffed by Nintendo," Kalinske recalled. “They had wanted Nintendo to use some technology that they had, and Nintendo instead chose to work with Philips. That really annoyed Sony. Olaf Olafsson [Sony Electronic Publishing President] and Micky Schulhof [President of Sony America] came to my office and said, 'Tom, we really don’t like Nintendo. You don’t like Nintendo. We have this little studio down in Santa Monica [Imagesoft] working on video games, we don’t know what to do with it, we’d like Sega’s help in training our guys. And we think the optical disc will be the best format.'"

Kalinske agreed with Sony's executives and proposed a partnership to finance a small developer called Digital Pictures, who eventually created Night Trap, Sewer Shark, and Supreme Warrior for Sega-CD.

"Sega of America and Sony were both convinced that the next platform had to use optical discs. We had been working on this CD-ROM attachment to the Genesis, which we knew really wasn’t adequate, but it taught us how to make games on this format," said Kalinske. "We had the Sony guys and our engineers in the United States come up with specs for what this next optical-based hardware system would be. And with these specs, Olafsson, Schulhof and I went to Japan, and we met with Sony’s Ken Kutaragi. He said it was a great idea, and as we all lose money on hardware, let's jointly market a single system – the Sega/Sony hardware system – and whatever loss we make, we split that loss."

Kalinske took his proposal to Sega's Board of Directors, who promptly vetoed the idea.

"Next, we went to [Sega president] Nakayama and the Board at Sega, and they basically turned me down. They said, 'that’s a stupid idea, Sony doesn’t know how to make hardware. They don’t know how to make software either. Why would we want to do this?' That is what caused the division between Sega and Sony and caused Sony to become our competitor and launch its own hardware platform."

Nintendo humiliated Sony, a Japanese company. You might not understand Japanese culture, but that is a HUGE deal to them. They immediately turned around to SEGA to attempt a partnership with them. When SEGA rejected them because "Sony doesn't know how to make hardware", Sony decided to use its existing hardware to create the PlayStation.

Ken Kutaragi, who is known as "The Father of the PlayStation", had already built a proprietary CD-ROM-based system when he presented this to the board in 1992 (after Nintendo's and SEGA's rejections). Essentially, this means that the PlayStation was originally created by a Sony employee without assistance from Sony. The idea was pitched to the board who approved it, split off a section of Sony Music Entertainment in order to create a new division called Sony Computer Entertainment, and then Sony and Ken Kutaragi proceeded to piece together what we now call the PlayStation.

You can call B.S. all you'd like, but the history has already been written.

Last edited:
I never said they were. Wut?

Apparently a "myth" is anything you've never heard of, even if it was actually true. Let me enlighten you:

Nintendo humiliated Sony, a Japanese company. You might not understand Japanese culture, but that is a HUGE deal to them. They immediately turned around to SEGA to attempt a partnership with them. When SEGA rejected them because "Sony doesn't know how to make hardware", Sony decided to use its existing hardware to create the PlayStation.

Ken Kutaragi, who is known as "The Father of the PlayStation", had already built a proprietary CD-ROM-based system when he presented this to the board in 1992 (after Nintendo's and SEGA's rejections). Essentially, this means that the PlayStation was originally created by a Sony employee without assistance from Sony. The idea was pitched to the board who approved it, split off a section of Sony Music Entertainment in order to create a new division called Sony Computer Entertainment, and then Sony and Ken Kutaragi proceeded to piece together what we now call the PlayStation.

You can call B.S. all you'd like, but the history has already been written.
You basically just proved what I said before right without realizing it but ok.

UnNamed

Banned
Also a myth, that the deal busting created the PS1. Sony had to have already been working on the hardware.
IIRC, Nintendo/Sony thing was 1991. Lot of tech was almost already developed (CD format, audio chip, CPU), they had three years to build the GPU and everything else.

I really didn't, but don't stop reading comprehension from getting in the way of your happiness.
You did. Sometimes incompetence blocks you from seeing clearly.

I said they had to design the PS1 in some form before the "break up" and you basically confirmed that. Proving yes, it was a myth the PS wasn't produced until after.

Also a myth, that they didn't square things off after, they did.

You don't really seem to know what you're arguing at, maybe try rereading the original post carefully this time.

IIRC, Nintendo/Sony thing was 1991. Lot of tech was almost already developed (CD format, audio chip, CPU), they had three years to build the GPU and everything else.

But part of what would become the current PS had to have existed in some form before the deal bust, not just whatever was carried over from the cancelled add on, they are both two different machines aiming for two different things.

Same with some of the early software partnerships.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
You did. Sometimes incompetence blocks you from seeing clearly.

I said they had to design the PS1 in some form before the "break up" and you basically confirmed that. Proving yes, it was a myth the PS wasn't produced until after.

Also a myth, that they didn't square things off after, they did.

You don't really seem to know what you're arguing at, maybe try rereading the original post carefully this time.

Again, you apparently didn't read/comprehend what I wrote OR what you wrote.

You said that Sony had already been working on the hardware prior to the Nintendo and SEGA rejections. That was false.

As I said here, the idea for the PlayStation wasn't pitched to Sony until 1992 AFTER both Nintendo and SEGA had rejected Sony. At that point Sony had not done anything with the PlayStation, nor did they want to get into the console game directly. In fact, while the Sony President backed Ken Kutaragi's idea for the PlayStation, the majority present in the June 1992 meeting were strongly opposed to the idea. At the time of this meeting Sony had done absolutely nothing to create their own hardware. Ken Kutaragi worked for Sony, but he did not build the proprietary CD-ROM at Sony, nor did he build it for Sony. He merely presented this to Sony after the negotiations failed, and the Sony President at the time backed Ken's idea and (and this part is important) Ken's technology.

I'll say it again: Ken's technology. Not Sony's technology. Sony hadn't created or attempted to create the PlayStation system at this point. Ken made the proprietary CD-ROM-based system, and he did that on his own. It doesn't matter that he was employed at Sony at the time that he created it. He created that on his own, and without any endorsement or permission from Sony. This is why Ken Kutaragi is The Father of the PlayStation. Without him we literally would not have the PlayStation, and Sony would not have gotten (directly) involved in the console market. Even with his creation the majority wanted to dismiss the idea. The only reason it went through is because the Sony President backed Ken. If the Sony President had followed the masses then Ken's idea and proprietary hardware would have amounted to nothing (at least, not at Sony).

Stop trying to rewrite history to fit whatever weird narrative you're going for. These are facts. This is what actually happened. You can say, "I don't believe it," all you want, but actual recorded events show that you're wrong.

Last edited:
You said that Sony had already been working on the hardware prior to the Nintendo and SEGA rejections. That was false.

You apparently don't know how to read, I wasn't talking about SEGA:

If you weren't so busy trying to be a smartazz you would have read correctly instead of imagining things in your head.

As I said you made a pointless failed attack attempt while confirming what I originally said. Since the actual rejection was in 1992, they had to have hardware in some form already and didn't start the hardware after the Nintendo deal, which was wait for it, the MYTH.

Thanks for verifying I was right expecting hardware to have existed before then. I'm sure you'll try some semantic dance between "Sony" and "Ken", which is irrelevant since the previous hardware was used by Sony to finish designing and producing the PSX Soo yeah. Still accurate, sorry.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
You apparently don't know how to read, I wasn't talking about SEGA:

If you weren't so busy trying to be a smartazz you would have read correctly instead of imagining things in your head.

As I said you made a pointless failed attack attempt while confirming what I originally said. Since the actual rejection was in 1992, they had to have hardware in some form already and didn't start the hardware after the Nintendo deal, which was wait for it, the MYTH.

Thanks for verifying I was right expecting hardware to have existed before then. I'm sure you'll try some semantic dance between "Sony" and "Ken", which is irrelevant since the previous hardware was used by Sony to finish designing and producing the PSX Soo yeah. Still accurate, sorry.

Since reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, allow me to break this down piece by piece. You said you weren't talking about SEGA, and then "proved" that by quoting yourself saying, "Sony had to have already been working on the hardware," and then you followed it up with, "they had to have hardware in some form already and didn't start the hardware after the Nintendo deal."

First of all, even if you weren't talking about SEGA I still threw them in with Nintendo because the June 1992 meeting occurred after both Nintendo and SEGA rejected Sony. So it doesn't matter whether you mentioned SEGA or not.

Secondly, of course Sony had some technology that they used for the PlayStation. So did Nintendo. So did SEGA. Nearly everyone has some technology that they don't need to build themselves because it already exists. But the nuts and bolts of the PlayStation was the CD-ROM tech. I already said that Ken Kutaragi had designed a proprietary CD-ROM-based system, and that he presented that system to the Sony President in June of 1992. Sony had not worked on this, but Ken Kutaragi did. Ken didn't show this to the Sony President until the June meeting in 1992 which was (again) after both the Nintendo and SEGA rejections.

Furthermore, I didn't verify that you were right. You said, "Sony had to have already been working on the hardware." You even bolded the word 'Sony'. Ken Kutaragi is not Sony. Bill Gates is not Microsoft. Ken could have sold his tech (which was made without Sony authorization or oversight) to another company.

To take this a step further, let's say that you work for Microsoft. If you go home and invent a product, and then you give Microsoft permission to use that product as the base for a new Xbox, does that mean that Microsoft worked on the product prior to you giving it to them? Of course it doesn't. You're little "thinks-he's-always-right" Eddie, not Microsoft.

The PlayStation-X was not something Sony was aware of, or something that they were working towards, prior to June of 1992. In fact, even when presented with it there was a lot of opposition to the idea within Sony. This is fact. There are website articles that confirm this. There are Wikipedia articles that confirm this. You're being intentionally dense, and you need to learn to admit when you're wrong.

If you have verifiable proof that I am wrong, please present it. But you keep saying things like, "had to have," and, "there's no way," and, "literally impossible," but you don't have a shred of evidence to support your claim. I, fortunately, have done actual research and read the articles discussing this.

In May that year, Sony finally put a stop to negotiations, and whether or not it should retain the project was decided at a pivotal meeting chaired by Ohga on June 24. The great majority of those present opposed it, but Kutaragi nevertheless revealed that he’d been developing a proprietary CD-ROM-based system capable of rendering 3D graphics, specifically for playing videogames – not multimedia. When Ohga asked what sort of chip it would require, Kutaragi replied that it would need one million gate arrays, a number that made Ohga laugh: Sony’s production of the time could only achieve 100,000. But Kutaragi slyly countered with: “Are you going to sit back and accept what Nintendo did to us?” The reminder enraged Ohga all over again. “There’s no hope of making further progress with a Nintendo-compatible 16bit machine,” he said. “Let’s chart our own course.”

And achieving that meant Ohga removing Kutaragi from Sony, fearing that the widespread internal opposition to the project might crush Kutaragi’s resolve. “There was a huge resistance inside the company to actually being in the videogames business at all,” explains Harrison. “The main reason why the Sony brand wasn’t really used in the early marketing of PlayStation was not necessarily out of choice, but it was because Sony’s old guard was scared that it was going to destroy this wonderful, venerable, 50-yearold brand. They saw Nintendo and Sega as toys, so why on Earth would they join the toy business? That changed a bit after we delivered 90 per cent of the company’s profit for a few years.”

You're just presenting your feelings as if they're fact. Well guess what? Facts don't care about your feelings. Sony was not working on the PlayStation prior to June of 1992. Ken Kutaragi may have worked for Sony, but what he created was his own device that he chose to use for the PlayStation, and Sony did not give him permission or authorization to create it. They didn't even know it existed until that June meeting. And even with the biggest piece of the PlayStation (the CD-ROM-based tech) a lot of people were still opposed to this. So no, Sony didn't work on the PlayStation prior to the deals with Nintendo and SEGA failing. Sony didn't work on the hardware for it. Ken Kutaragi did, and the only reason this even happened was because the Sony President was enraged at the way Nintendo and SEGA (but mostly Nintendo) had treated them.

Last edited:
All that ranting to try to move goal posts.

This is it:

You said you weren't talking about SEGA, and then "proved" that by quoting yourself saying, "Sony had to have already been working on the hardware," and then you followed it up with, "they had to have hardware in some form already and didn't start the hardware after the Nintendo deal."
And yes they did, and you confirmed it early on, and I said you basically verified my suspicions.i also never mentioned Sega you be sarcastic, but you still basically admitted indirectly the poor reading comprehension falls on you, not me.

The rest of your trash is trash, such as:

Sony was not working on the PlayStation prior to June of 1992.

Actually yes "Sony" was, this is a semantics argument because you don't have a legit one.

This is your own quote:

Ken Kutaragi, who is known as "The Father of the PlayStation", had already built a proprietary CD-ROM-based system when he presented this to the board in 1992 (after Nintendo's and SEGA's rejections). Essentially, this means that the PlayStation was originally created by a Sony employee without assistance from Sony.

I also said before the hardware had to have been started in some form BEFORE the deal broke apart. Yes.

All this because you screwed up. You're not saying anything and are to full of it to see that.

Just long posts of fillers yes you screwed up, yes I didn't say Sega, yes Sony had hardware already to work with when they went for the PSX. Take your L.

Top Bottom