• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could experience one same for the first time again, which would you choose?

Edit: Title meant to say game, not same

Sincee everyone is either console warring or about to slit their wrists over the excess threads about new consoles I figured I'd lighten it up a little.

I wish like anything I could re-experience Max Payne 2 again. Here's a little backstory:

Max Payne 2 came out in 2003 and I got it for Christmas. I was about 14. So, as soon as I open it (and am ecstatic), the realize it has a Mature rating and say, "Oh, no, you're too young for that one. They proceed to see that nudity is involved and my most anticipated game is taken.

...son of a bitch...

Anyway, about a year later my mom gives in and lets me have it. All this to say, once I got to play the game I was so drawn into the world. I don't feel like I've had another experience like it since. Crime Noir has just not been captured in that way. From the gameplay, to the soundtrack, to Max's voice acting - It was perfect. I'm not one for replaying games, but I must have beaten this one 6 or 7 times.

So what's your choice?

P.S. If only my parents knew the number of times I reloaded my save just to see Mona Sax's tits 😂😂

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Virtua Fighter 3

I remember a magazine at the time said it was using a new technology that didn't use polygons.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Mario 64 it was mind blowing back in the day

That's the thing games are so tied to the time period and it age it's hard to separate to think what we'd like now. My instinct initially is to say something Like Mario 64, Goldeneye or Zelda Ocarina of Time.. but would I really feel the same about them now even if the experiences were fresh with everything else I've played..

My choice would probably be the Witcher 3. It's a world you can just get lost in.

Halo CE without a doubt. That game and it's series ended up shaping a huge part of my life.

Then there is Morrowind and Skyrim. Man... To experience coming down off that mountain again for the first time...

Also, I wish I could have experienced HL: Alyx as my first VR game. Although, right now I haven't been able to enter into the world of VR since we moved to the new place a few years back so it's been a while. Just waiting on these new GPU's and the money...

I forget what I listed the last time this was asked

off the top my head

Star Wars: Galaxies (before it was ruined)
Halo: CE
Half-Life 2
KOTOR
NFL 2k (blew me away first year on Dreamcast)

Man, I just realized I haven't played any of the Half Life games... I know that it's something a lot of people put on lists like this and it just hit me that I can live your guy's moment...

TLZ

Banned
Not a game maybe, but the whole awesome feeling I experienced when playing my Nintendo Family Computer for the first time. Playing either Super Mario Bros 3 or Double Dragon II. I was completely blown away.

I'd love to re-experience that all over again.

MetalAlien

Banned
Too hard for one. The games that were mind blowing the first time around for me are...

Virtua Racing - Sega Genesis
Alien Vs Predator - Atari Jaguar
Panzer Dragoon - Saturn
Super GT - Arcade
Gran Turismo 3 - PS2
Quake RTX - PC

HeadsUp7Up

So it depends. If I’m going back in time it’s either Super Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time. If its something recent and I have all the gaming experiences I do now I’m going with Super Mario Odyssey or, oddly enough, Saints Row The Third.

Koopatrol

It's a newer game, but Nier: Automata.

I beat the game taking two major breaks, one after each of the first two routes. After beating these, I thought the game was good, but not too amazing. Then... the third route, the ending, holy fuck. One of the best experiences I've ever had.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Edit: Title meant to say game, not same

Sincee everyone is either console warring or about to slit their wrists over the excess threads about new consoles I figured I'd lighten it up a little.

I wish like anything I could re-experience Max Payne 2 again. Here's a little backstory:

Max Payne 2 came out in 2003 and I got it for Christmas. I was about 14. So, as soon as I open it (and am ecstatic), the realize it has a Mature rating and say, "Oh, no, you're too young for that one. They proceed to see that nudity is involved and my most anticipated game is taken.

...son of a bitch...

Anyway, about a year later my mom gives in and lets me have it. All this to say, once I got to play the game I was so drawn into the world. I don't feel like I've had another experience like it since. Crime Noir has just not been captured in that way. From the gameplay, to the soundtrack, to Max's voice acting - It was perfect. I'm not one for replaying games, but I must have beaten this one 6 or 7 times.

So what's your choice?

P.S. If only my parents knew the number of times I reloaded my save just to see Mona Sax's tits 😂😂

I had that same feeling about Max Payne 1 & 2 as you describe. I was about 13 years old too. Lots of immersion. I loved the story and gameplay. And titties of course.

I wasn't allowed to watch nudity. But my parents never read all the labels on the backs of video games. Good times.

Korso

I got the Shenmue strategy guide about a month befor I got the game. I studied the hell out of it and it was like magic when I finally got to play.

I might be too old and jaded to ever latch on to something like that now but I would love to be a kid again and relive that.

drganon

Persona 5

It was the game that finally got me into jrpgs after ignoring the genre for the longest time. I remember playing the game for 6-8 hour stretches at a time and not realizing time had passed that much. I even ended up buying the soundtrack and getting a pstv to check out earlier entries like p4 golden.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Its huge list of names so instead I'm going with a weird one.

I know this crazy since I finish it recently but I'm gonna with Ace Attorney 1st Trilogy. MY GOD these games are so fucking FUN!!!!

ampsinthetrunk

Neo Member
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory

To relive having my clan and website again would be amazing.

Digital Exile
Raven was my alias
Had over 30 regulars, some great friends

Last edited:
Top Bottom