• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could experience one same for the first time again, which would you choose?

MetalRain

Many cherished game experiences actually tie into life lived at that time. I'd like to play many games with those family members or friends that I played in the past, however that is not possible or would not feel the same.

For something I've experienced by myself I'd say Deus Ex. While game has not aged that well, intro theme still gives me the chills.

Type_Raver

VR.

I had an Oculus Rift DK2 and despite its simplicity, i was wowed by it! Sold it off many years ago and moved back to flat gaming.

Fast forward to the past couple weeks where I bought an Oculus Rift S for HL: Alyx, and while the game is great, im yet to get the same vibes i experienced the first time in VR.

I remember Metal Gear Solid the first time I played it and would be absolutely delighted to revisit it again, like the same year and everything.

Naibel

- Metal Gear Solid 1/2/3
- Silent Hill 2
- Persona 4
- Nier:Automata
- Super Mario Galaxy 1/2
- Portal 1/2
- Zelda Ocarina Of Time / Twilight Princess / Breath Of The Wild
- Steins:Gate
- The Ace Attorney trilogy
- Panzer Dragoon Saga

llien

Original XCOM: Terror From the Deep
Diablo 2
Original Monkey Island series.
Myst

World of Warcraft: clearing BWL, AQ40

Last edited:

GameOfPixelsX

Neo Member
Edit: Title meant to say game, not same

Sincee everyone is either console warring or about to slit their wrists over the excess threads about new consoles I figured I'd lighten it up a little.

I wish like anything I could re-experience Max Payne 2 again. Here's a little backstory:

Max Payne 2 came out in 2003 and I got it for Christmas. I was about 14. So, as soon as I open it (and am ecstatic), the realize it has a Mature rating and say, "Oh, no, you're too young for that one. They proceed to see that nudity is involved and my most anticipated game is taken.

...son of a bitch...

Anyway, about a year later my mom gives in and lets me have it. All this to say, once I got to play the game I was so drawn into the world. I don't feel like I've had another experience like it since. Crime Noir has just not been captured in that way. From the gameplay, to the soundtrack, to Max's voice acting - It was perfect. I'm not one for replaying games, but I must have beaten this one 6 or 7 times.

So what's your choice?

P.S. If only my parents knew the number of times I reloaded my save just to see Mona Sax's tits 😂😂
Easily Halo: CE. Loved every damn second. There I was, a grown ass 20 something, smiling like an ass as I played it.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. It is my favourite Zelda and Zelda games suffer from knowing them way more than other games do, especially SS because of its puzzle focus. Puzzles to which you know the solution are inherently less fun. Motor skills based games are every bit as fun on subsequently playthroughs as on first ones (sometimes in different ways though).

-Troid-

Banned
Probably either Metroid Prime or RE4. Two of my favorite games of all time and I've played them each a couple dozen times minimum. Experiencing either for the first time again would be a treat.

HeadsUp7Up

The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. It is my favourite Zelda and Zelda games suffer from knowing them way more than other games do, especially SS because of its puzzle focus. Puzzles to which you know the solution are inherently less fun. Motor skills based games are every bit as fun on subsequently playthroughs as on first ones (sometimes in different ways though).
Never did take the time to play this. I hope it gets released again on the Switch.

StormCell

I do feel kinda bad for Skyward Sword. At a time when many were down on this game, I was having a lot of fun with it. And then I tried to do a second playthrough and... forget it, I remember too much of it to feel engaged. It's like going through the motions.

StormCell

I'm a little surprised I'm not seeing Breath of the Wild in this thread. I think it must be too recent for most, but if I could experience it all over again for the first time I would.

Another game I would like to experience again for the first time is Super Mario World. I will never forget that first time powering on the SNES and experiencing that intro screen. The levels felt strung together by magic back then.

royox

Games with a huge or mind blowing plot twist.

Mass Effect
Kotor
Assassins Creed 2
MGS3
Bloodborne

Ten_Fold

Zelda OOT, man that game felt soo real I really felt like I was part of that world as a child. The only other game that made me feel similar was megaman legends, no games will give me those feels again.

kevin_majorca

Neo Member
Any of the "first" co-op playthroughs of FromSoftware games. I wish I could live an endless loop of playing Dark Souls with a friend for the first time in my life.
Would love to see some kind of "co-op mode" in future souls-like games -if there will be any. Like it would be more balanced for two players right out of the gate, without the need for grinding to Ng+.

The Last of Us
God of War (1, 2 & 3)
Uncharted 2 & 3
Wipeout on the PSX then Wipeout HD on the PS3
Thunder Force III or Gaiares on the Genesis (most of the early 16-bit area of gaming to be honest)
Phantasy Star 1 & 2
Final Fantasy VII
Castlevania: Symphony of the night
Doom II
Quake
Unreal (multi player)
Cave Story
Zelda, Kid Icarus and Metroid on the NES

Probably many more.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I get what OP is saying but right now I don't think gamers are signing up to replay a game they already know to play it again the first time.

I forgot those
Final Fantasy II (IV) on the SNES because of the music
F-Zero, so smoooooth still one of my fav old school driving game
Y's Boot I & 2 on the Turbo Duo (the first time I saw a CD game, with proper CD music, etc.)
After Burner in the moving cabinet in an arcade - I was blown away
Panzer Dragoon (especially Saga) - One of the best JRPG of all time!

Gamernyc78

Banned
Bloodborne of course, that's an easy choice but now tht I think of it Demon Souls and tlou are up there also uncharted 2 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ultima Underworld was insane at the time.

This was when PC gamers got acquainted with all those early id shooters people were sharing or getting off demo disks. Wolf 3D came out around the same time and Doom came out a year later.

While Wolf/Doom had bigger game windows and fast with tons of monsters (assuming you had a 486 to run it fast), But UU shit all over it.

- 3D view you could look around
- RPG elements
- Gameplay like jumping, different attacks, spells
- Move/run at different speeds
- Early forms of lighting, shadows
- Slopes/gradients
- You could actually aim your hits high and low as opposed to id games just guessing/automating where to shoot on the Y-axis
- And many more

RCU005

Dragon Quest XI
I am in Act 3, and I already want to erase my memory to play it again with no recollection of it, whatsoever.

Others:
Disney's Magical Quest
Super Mario 64
Banjo Kazooie/Banjo Tooie
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Shadow of the Colossus
Dead Space
Killzone 2
Kingdom Hearts 1/2/BBS/3
Heavenly Sword
LittleBigPlanet 2
Mass Effect 2
Okami
Matroid Prime

I realize there are too many games... Now I wonder which games are better the second time you play them.

ZywyPL

Banned
Tricky question, because many games I personally love (most from the 90s) are simply outdated gameplay-wise, I stopped replaying them long time ago and just keep the fond memories, but I have no intentions in coming back to them. So If I'd have to "replay" something for the very first time, it would have to be something quite modern, and the only game I can think of is CoD4, it's still one of THE best FPS ever created for me, in both SP and MP, especially that it got a superb remastering treatment.

Top Bottom