• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could live in a specific time period, what would it be?

which one

• 40's

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 50's

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 60's

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • 70's

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • 80's

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • 90's

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • 00's

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • something else

Votes: 13 22.0%

• Total voters

Sakura

My original post:
V4skunk said:
You are thinking completely backwards.
How were the ancients perfectly cutting granite rock with copper hand tools and then moving stones up to 1750 tonne?

You are the one changing the goal posts comrade.
The simple fact is that we are not cutting 1750 tonne granite blocks, granite is the 2nd hardest natural substance known to man.
You also prove my point with the link that i posted! Go look again at the size of the heavy lifters, you need to try harder to be honest. Also a laser is not going to cut a 1000+tonne block, more like a thin sheet of metal a few cm thick at best.
We are also not replicating the walls at Sacsayhuaman any time soon.
What are these 1750 granite blocks cut with copper tools?
You talk of Sacsayhuaman, but as far as I am aware, it doesn't use granite, the largest blocks are 200~tonnes, and the rocks were mostly pounded into shape before being cut.
Using ramps, ropes, etc (which there is evidence of), it is not hard to imagine how a large group of people could move a large rock.
While it is impressive how megalithic structures were built, there is nothing that cannot be built by today's technology, and even using the same tools they would've had, we can come up with ways to build the same things.

V4skunk

Banned
And now you're just straight up lying. Your original post: (reminding you for the second time)

And you have still no provided any proof of anything we can't replicate. Every single feat you've named has been topped and beaten into the ground. Every single metric you've named has been achieved, and then improved upon by modern technology. Granite is excavated every day of the week across the world. We figured out how to cut that shit, and then moved on. If you think that shaping a large rock is somehow beyond us in 2020 when we're literally moving entire buildings then you're an idiot. That link you posted showed several machines capable of easily doing what you claimed could not be done. Do you want me to remind of you that post too? You seem to conveniently forget when you say stupid things that are rapidly disproved.

And no, we wouldn't use a laser to cut stone: lasers are for precision work. Hence the razor blade. Only took me 2 goddamn minutes to Google and find out how channeling granite blocks out is routine in quarries worldwide.
OK then I admit I shouldnt have said we can't lift what they lifted in the past. I didn't realise what I typed.
But for the 3rd time you are missing the entire point. You have seen through the link I posted at the size of machinery required to just lift heavy objects!
You'll notice most of them are static or even float.
How did the ancients lift these 1700+ tonne stones? They were not using hand power or wooden pulley systems...
Go look up how many people the "experts" believe it took the Egyptians to pull sand and lime stone blocks weighing just a few tonnes.
I'm not even going to get on about cutting hundred plus tonne granite rock. Let alone 1750 tonne. Or Sacsayhuamans walls...
Also why don't you show me the proof that we can cut 1750 tonne blocks, I bet we don't even have a diamond tipped circular blade big enough.

Durask

The present mostly because of medical technology.
You can now survive stuff that would have killed you in the 60s and 70s.

Durask

Also, kind of a weird question.
If you lived in say 60s but have no knowledge of the future, how you do know you will actually enjoy the 60s?

Winter John

Gold Member
I'd like to see Chicago during the 20s/30s when Capone and the mob were running around. Victorian London would be very cool too.

Lanrutcon

OK then I admit I shouldnt have said we can't lift what they lifted in the past. I didn't realise what I typed.

Uh hu. You knew what you were typing. You were just wrong.

But for the 3rd time you are missing the entire point. You have seen through the link I posted at the size of machinery required to just lift heavy objects!
You'll notice most of them are static or even float.
How did the ancients lift these 1700+ tonne stones? They were not using hand power or wooden pulley systems...
Go look up how many people the "experts" believe it took the Egyptians to pull sand and lime stone blocks weighing just a few tonnes.
I'm not even going to get on about cutting hundred plus tonne granite rock. Let alone 1750 tonne. Or Sacsayhuamans walls...

Read my original post in this thread. Carefully. Like, take in the words. If you're having trouble, find an adult to help you. If you have any evidence at all that anything in that post is incorrect, again: feel free to post it.

Also why don't you show me the proof that we can cut 1750 tonne blocks, I bet we don't even have a diamond tipped circular blade big enough.

Prove we can't, or even better: why we would need to. Quarries around the world routinely excavate granite and have been doing so throughout the modern age. Diamond blades? Sure! Or high pressure water streams, precision blasting, channeling...pick your poison, because the excavation industry sure does. Cutting Granite isn't a problem. It's not even a feat: it's an every day activity employed by commercial ventures around the world. In engineering terms, it's about as bleeding edge as making a sandwich.

Now, if there was money to be made recreating mildly curious shit from the old world then you'd see it done constantly, probably in some trashy Discovery show punctuated by every engineer in the world facepalming at the same time as the ignorant masses get their minds blown.

DESTROYA

1900’s , I’d be one of the smartest bastards on the planet!

or

Ancient Greece, would be great to pick the minds of great Greek philosophers of the day .

Last edited:

Liljagare

Probably the seventies. Just so I could tell my parents that yes, buying Disney stock right now is a good idea. And giving them the same advice in the 80s when it comes to Apple stock and so on and so on so I DO NOT have to hear them discuss how much they were interested in buying the stock everytime there is something about DIsneyworld or on but then...

Bluntman

From the 50s to 90 there was communism here in Hungary as part of the Soviet Union so rather no to that.

Altho if I could choose to live just one or two weeks in that period I would like that so that I can see for myself what my parents and grandparents told me.

Still. I hate communists and all my family does.

Top Bottom