• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could only buy 5 new release games from Sept-Dec...

Ulchie

Banned
Canova said:
you might as well quit gaming if you dont see anything interesting this fall.

This is without a doubt the strongest fall line-up ever in gaming history
Agreed. It has something for everyone. Well, maybe not for JRPG players, but they got Xenoblade recently. I hate JRPG's so I couldn't care less about their decline in popularity personally.

ASilva

Neo Member
Skyrim
Arkham City
Forza 4
Rage
Dead Island or Uncharted 3 (need to wait for some Dead Island impressions)

Arcblade

Banned
Huh.

I AM only buying 5 more games this year.

1. Disgaea 4
2. Dark Souls
3. Skyrim
4. King of Fighters 13
5. UMvC3

I agree with the guy who said that this is one of the weakest year ends ever for gaming.

Then again, I love JRPGs, and detest almost every single major western franchise.

The only reason I'm giving Skyrim a try is Morrowind.

Sotha Sil

1. Skyrim
2. Dark Souls
3. Batman: Arkham City
4. ICO/SOTC Collection
5. MGS Collection

Five is too easy! Three choices might have been more tricky.

Canova

Banned
Ulchie said:
Agreed. It has something for everyone. Well, maybe not for JRPG players, but they got Xenoblade recently. I hate JRPG's so I couldn't care less about their decline in popularity personally.

there's still a few niche JRPGs in the fall, Disgaea 4, Atelier Totori, Rune Factory, FF-Type 0

Sotha Sil said:
1. Skyrim
2. Dark Souls
3. Batman: Arkham City
4. ICO/SOTC Collection
5. MGS Collection

Five is too easy! Three choices might have been more tricky.

Five is already too hard for me

pahamrick

1) Uncharted 3
2) Batman: Arkham City
3) Star Wars: The Old Republic
4) Assassin's Creed: Revelation
5) Metal Gear Solid Collection

Only 5? These are some great games you guys are listing, but hell, isn't it preferable to actually savor and enjoy a game for a few weeks/months rather than cram them into such a small time period? That being said, the only three games I'm willing to purchase thew rest of the year (at full price) is:

1. Uncharted 3
2. Battlefield 3
3. Dark Souls

MGSHD, Zelda: Skyward Sword, SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Team Ico Collection, and... actually, those are pretty much the only games coming out in that time frame that I'm even interested in, considering Deus Ex technically came out in August and The Darkness II was delayed into next year.

Arcblade said:
I agree with the guy who said that this is one of the weakest year ends ever for gaming.

Then again, I love JRPGs, and detest almost every single major western franchise.

The only reason I'm giving Skyrim a try is Morrowind.

Yeah I can see by your list why it might not be a great year.

It's looking splendid to me. I'm really going to be overwhelmed. Skyrim and BF3 are convincing me to build a new gaming PC for the first time since the beginning of this console generation. My current system was built for Oblivion. I agree MW>, they just don't make RPG like they used to. I read Bioware basically said RPG is a dead genre.

Fl1pp13

Neo Member
1. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
2. Battlefield 3
3. Saints Row 3
4. Halo: CE Anniversary
5. RAGE

Although I would be cheating and pick up MW3, Stronghold 3, Skyrim and Batman up in secret.

skyward sword
uncharted 3
battlefield 3
super mario 3d land
mw3

just missed the cut for this list (but i'll be buying them anyways):
starfox 64 3d
mario kart 7
ico/sotc collection
metal gear solid hd collection

Arcblade

Banned
Death Dealer said:
Yeah I can see by your list why it might not be a great year.

It's looking splendid to me. I'm really going to be overwhelmed. Skyrim and BF3 are convincing me to build a new gaming PC for the first time since the beginning of this console generation. My current system was built for Oblivion. I agree MW>, they just don't make RPG like they used to. I read Bioware basically said RPG is a dead genre.

If D3 somehow miraculously does not suck, and is indeed epic, I shall be doing this myself.

Otherwise I'll stick with what I have until Adobe drops CS6 on us.

BooJoh

In order of release

1. StarFox 64
2. Skylanders 3DS
3. Pokemon Rumble Blast
4. Super Mario 3D Land
5. Mario Kart 7

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
[Insert list that wont be quoted]
[Dont give reasons for selected games]
[Dont quote anyone else]
[very little discussions]

/listthreads

1. Uncharted 3 - I have been anticipating this game since the Beta from this summer, its as good as it gets

...wait thats the only game I buying this fall, but if I had the time

2. Battlefield 3 - Just to see what the fuzz is about
3. AC: Revelations - I have enjoyed all the other games so why not
4. Journey - The Beta was nice
5. Batman - Just for kicks, I liked the previous one but not as much

Fady K

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Batman: Arkham City
Silent Hill Downpour
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Xenoblade

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Rage
Hard Reset
Skyrim
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Aliens: Infestation

I've been losing hype on a lot of titles I'd normally day one.

1. Dark souls (everyone knows this one)
2. ao no kiseki (rpg that is the sequel to the legend of heroes series)
3. tsugi no kiseisha wo oshiraseshimasu (a adventure novel/detective game)
4. ore no shikabane wo koete yuke (rpg remake of a multi generation story where you need to defeat the demons who cursed your line with short life)
5. weiss schwartz portable (card game with fan service from anime and games including persona)

only other game I want from that time period is go vacation (family game collection) so that was an easy list.

Yeah 4 out of 5 of my games are on psp. /hipster

edit: forgot ff type 0 and valkyria chronicles 3 extra. Hmm. I'd trade the remake on my list for ff type 0 and buy the original version of the remakes.

Kibbles

Battlefield 3
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Gears of War 3
Modern Warfare 3 (only cause of friends, I'm really not that tempted to get it)
Skyrim

Shooters. YUM

Neiteio

The top five:

+ Batman: Arkham City -- Because Rocksteady knows how to make a game about the goddamn Batman.

+ The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- My first foray into the Elder Scrolls series... assuming the very secret PS3 version isn't a Bayonetta-style botch-up.

+ The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword -- I'm iffy on graphics (faded white color, jarring contrast between pale backdrops and bold-colored characters), but there's no way I couldn't preorder the bundle with the gold Wiimote and orchestral concert CD.

+ Mario Kart 7 -- The sequel to my most-played DS game. Looks sharper than Mario Kart Wii and features custom karts, submarine mode and Pilotwings-style gliders. Awesome, even as the title makes no sense (why start numbering them now??).

+ Super Mario 3D Land -- Hmm. It was either this or Uncharted 3. Uncharted 3 inspires more confidence that it will be a good game, but no confidence it will be fresh. SM3DL is the opposite. I don't know if the hyper-linear levels and eight-way controls will serve the game well, but it is a refreshing break from both the Galaxy and NSMB styles. The Galaxy people are making it, too, and they've yet to make a "meh" game. If nothing else, it has nostalgia going for it (Tanooki Suit, Boom Boom, an NES Zelda-themed level, etc)...

Other games to get:

+ Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 -- I'll ask for this one for Christmas. I love MvC3 and updating the title to include Nemesis, Phoenix Wright, Rocket Raccoon and more is simply wonderful.

+ The Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection -- I haven't played either of these games, though one of my creative idols, filmmaker Guillermo del Toro, swears by both of them as true, undeniable art. Now that the framerate in SotC has been smoothed out and both titles updated to HD standards, I'll try them.

+ Star Fox 64 3D -- A gorgeous remake of a title that seems perfect for pick-up-and-play portability. No rush to get this one, though. Maybe if I didn't have Deus Ex, the year's best game so far.

+ Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception -- I absolutely loved Uncharted 2. It floored me, moment after explosive moment. The sequel looks... drier, both literally and figuratively (you do go through a desert, after all). We'll have to see if the variety of places visited is as refreshingly colorful as UC2's trip from museums to jungles to war-torn cities to icy mountains to
mystical parallel universes

RooMHM

Canova said:
you might as well quit gaming if you dont see anything interesting this fall.

This is without a doubt the strongest fall line-up ever in gaming history
You might as well study video games history if you think this is the best fall line-up ever. None of the games in the list will be at the level of HL, q3, deus Ex, Starcraft, Diablo II, Baldur's gate 2 you know, legendary games. Hyperbole generation.
Every year it's the same : "best year in gaming ever". "Wow we're so drowned in quality". Now what? See you in 5 (maybe 3?) years when nobody remembers (and plays) those games. Think about what they brought to gaming as a whole. I'm still searching.
I know these games aren't out and yet, none of these look innovative. I'm not even talking about new franchises or revolutions, just new ideas of gameplay for example. Probably too much to ask and people don't really want them so it will never happen.

kyubajin

So far I've only pre-order one game (DkS) but I'm planning to eventually get the following:

Dark Souls
After more than 500 hours in DS, this is my most anticipated game ever.

Batman: Arkham City
Beat Arkham Asylum 4+ times on 3 platforms. I love what Rocksteady did with the Dark Night.

Silent Hill: Downpour
Despite the horrible business practices by Konami regarding the SH HD Collection, I'll be getting this simply because I'm just too big of a SH fan...

Rage
I don't normally buy FPS games as I dislike the genre but id's game is anything but generic.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
I love what I've seen in the vids and the impressive improvement over Oblivion so of course I want to play this to death - when I'm done with DkS that is.

Woorloog

Banned
Is this trying to be a hard question? BF3, Skyrim, SWTOR (pre-ordered already though), Halo CEA. I'm struggling to think any other game i might be intersted in...

Saints Row: The Third

sr7b.jpg

2) Uncharted 3

3) Skyrim

4) Battlefield 3

5) Gears 3

Honorable mention: Twisted Metal

Well, since I have a pretty expensive backlog, I think five will be more than enough for the rest of the year for me.

I've preordered most of these already:

Dark Souls

LoZ: Skyward Sword

El Shaddai

Starfox 64 3D

Team Ico collection

(If I have some extra time then Catherine and the Silent Hill Collection also).

Top Bottom