• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you had the chance to travel 500 years into the future, would you take it?

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Say someone has a machine. Some kind of 'time machine'. They can offer you the chance to travel to the same spot you are in, but 500 years in the future. You get 1 hour there before you are returned. However, you have no idea what the world will be like and will only find out once you get there. And if you die there, you are dead for good. Would you do it?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Concept of time travel is too scary, so no. What if something goes wrong and my consciousness gets stuck in an eternal loop.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
'time machine'
giphy.gif

Ownage

Tempting to say yes. But with caveat that I'd have access to a pressurized oxygenated suit with some form of radioactive and biohazard protection.

Ellis

Absolutely!

I'm most likely going to land in water and end up swimming back to the new shoreline for 45 fucking minutes, but I'm sure I'll find and bang some hot half-cyborg chick/dude with the remaining time left.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Time travel is silly. Say you were able to travel 500 years in the future at your current location. You'd die. Why? 500 years in the future there is literally nothing. The entire galaxy moves and so does the planet. I think.

Nymphae

Banned
Something I always wondered about time travel - the earth moves. A lot. My assumption has always been that you're moving through time, and not space - meaning if I step into a time machine and set it for 50 years in the future, I step out of the machine and I'm in the same physical location, but 50 years in the future.

But if that were the case, 50 years after you got into the machine, the earth would be nowhere near that original spacetime coordinate you stepped into it at. So you'd either have to account for exactly where the spacetime position you started at would be in 50 years given the earth's rotation and movement through the solar system/galaxy, or simply come out the other end in a vacuum.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
But if that were the case, the earth would be nowhere near that original spacetime coordinate you stepped into the machine at. So you'd either have to account for exactly where the spacetime position you started at would be in 50 years given the earth's rotation and movement through the solar system/galaxy, or simply come out the other end in a vacuum.
Yeah that is never taken into account. All these people going back or to the future would just be in the vacuum of space.

John Day

The way you propose, it’s scary. Who knows if in 500 years the house i’m in is 40 feet underwater, or something solid constructed where i am?

If there was a way around that hell yeah lol

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Yeah that is never taken into account. All these people going back or to the future would just be in the vacuum of space.
Given that time and space are interconnected, another possibility (in this imaginary scenario) is that somehow the time travel process itself automatically compensates for the time vehicle’s travel through space. We don’t know how time travel would work.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’d go for it and my number one choice would to visit all the major world monuments and see what they have endured, because 500 years into the future is WILD.

womfalcs3

Banned
No. I suspect the world would be a shitty place in 500 years due to global warming and a rising population (food scarcity, fighting over food/water, mass migrations, etc.). We're living in the tail end of the golden age of humanity... the heat wave currently scorching India has people fighting each other over water.

I have empathy and sympathy for 3 or 4 generations down the line (my children's grandkids)

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'd rather travel 500 years into the past, my knowledge would be a heck of a lot more powerful. Instead of a curiosity in the future I'd be an emperor in the past.

Last edited:

Fbh

Being able to maybe see a trailer for the last part of the FF7 remake AND having like 10 new chapters of Berserk is tempting.

But no, 500 years is too much and I'd be too afraid things went wrong during that time

Nah, it would either be something terrible or something amazing, either way you'd be pretty spoiled on the present day, because you'd either know the depressing truth, or only be able to stay in a utopia for an hour.

Just one of those things we're not meant to know I guess, I mean what would someone 500 years ago think of the present day? It'd be beyond mind boggling.

womfalcs3

Banned
I'd rather travel 500 years into the past, my knowledge would be a heck of a lot more powerful. Instead of a curiosity in the future I'd be an emperor in the past.

You'd probably be killed for witchcraft in the first few minutes if you showed people a battery-operated flat-panel TV.

Last edited:

choco-fish

No, not unless I can have a space suit, because the earth travels at what? 66000 mph round the sun, If I time travelled 50 years into the future to the same spot, chances are I’d be in the middle of space and the earth would be millions of miles away.

Time travel is silly. Say you were able to travel 500 years in the future at your current location. You'd die. Why? 500 years in the future there is literally nothing. The entire galaxy moves and so does the planet. I think.

Not quite. Your space time even if subject to frame dragging effects would move with the galaxy. If you built a super high speed loop on earth that aceleerated and decelerated at 1g, it could reach 80% the speed of light in days, you would experience such time dilation that 1 earth day for you would be 100 days on earth around you. Then you simply slow down and bam you're hundreds of years in the future after spending a few years in the loop. For outside observers as you approached the speed of light you would appear to freeze and presumably they would just ignore you for the duration knowing that for you time is super slow. This would also mean the loop would not suffer from centuries of wear and tear, just a couple of years.

Also don't jerk off while in the pod nobody wants to spend years watching you squirt cum.

Last edited:

McCheese

Say someone has a machine. Some kind of 'time machine'. They can offer you the chance to travel to the same spot you are in, but 500 years in the future. You get 1 hour there before you are returned. However, you have no idea what the world will be like and will only find out once you get there. And if you die there, you are dead for good. Would you do it?

Fuck, that is a tricky one. What if someone builds a house and I end up in a wall? Or global warming means I'm 200 feet underwater?

I don't think an hour would really give you much of an insight into how things have changed either.

So nope, I would dial that shit back to the medival era and become the greatest Inventor that ever cheated, I mean, lived.

jason10mm

Gold Member
And be the first person to have the first copy of the just completed "Winds of Winter"? Absolutely! :p

But seriously, assuming some basic environmental protection, I'd still do it. Hard to say if I'd be able to learn anything of value (other than whether or not humanity appears to have survived or not) since I doubt I'd even be able to speak the language, much less understand their technology enough to even attempt to bring it back to the modern time. Do they have super-diseases? Do I have a super-disease to them? Can I record what I see or bring back stuff? Is an hour even enough time to get somewhere interesting (and still have time to get back to my time machine)?

Best hope is I could get injected with lots of power-up nanites so I could be a superhero when I got back :p

Shifty

Sounds dicey. I'm not big on the idea of reappearing inside a wall, or popping out in a lethal radiation field.

Or even a mildly embarrassing Demolition Man esque awkward future social situation, for that matter. The risks are simply too great :messenger_weary:

Super Mario

Banned
Yes, just so I can come back and tell the world how bad it gets when you keep supporting Democrat policies.

It is the year 2519. The thought on everyone's mind is why there hasn't been more transpecies, gay, multiracial, holographic, pitbull, Presidents. The country was founded by a white guy due to its intolerance

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Not quite. Your space time even if subject to frame dragging effects would move with the galaxy. If you built a super high speed loop on earth that aceleerated and decelerated at 1g, it could reach 80% the speed of light in days, you would experience such time dilation that 1 earth day for you would be 100 days on earth around you. Then you simply slow down and bam you're hundreds of years in the future after spending a few years in the loop. For outside observers as you approached the speed of light you would appear to freeze and presumably they would just ignore you for the duration knowing that for you time is super slow. This would also mean the loop would not suffer from centuries of wear and tear, just a couple of years.

Also don't jerk off while in the pod nobody wants to spend years watching you squirt cum.
Source?

Airola

Fuck, that is a tricky one. What if someone builds a house and I end up in a wall? Or global warming means I'm 200 feet underwater?

Or someone else standing there and you end up half inside someone.
And no, even if it was a hot chick it wouldn't count as sex.

Imagine some family suddenly seeing their kid explode and a bloody mess that is you coming through the kid's body.

If I have to fart before I go into the time machine will I still have to fart that same fart 500 years in the future?

really hard decision as theres pros and cons for each scenario.

D-Dude

Probably.. But my question would be

"Is there a federation of planets?"

No? That would be a downer..

Top Bottom