• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you have gotten a PlayStation 5 or an Xbox Series X, will you sell or give away your PlayStation 4 (Pro) and/ or Xbox One (S/X)?

If you have a new-generation console, what will you do with your previous-gen console(s)?

• I will keep my previous-gen console(s)

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I will sell my previous-gen console(s)

Votes: 67 39.4%
  • I will give my previous-gen console(s) away for free

Votes: 36 21.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • I will sell one/ some of them and give the other(s) away

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

Damigos

I already sold mine, in order to be able to afford one.
I did the same with my TV. Sold my 1080p 47' LG from 2013 and awaiting my new 65' Q80t.
PS5, not available anywhere

ThirdC

I sold my Xbox One X, Xbox One S and my base PS4 last week. Keeping my PS4 Pro beside my XSX and PS5 for now.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
gave my xbox X away to a family member who doesn't have much money, better than collecting dust as the Series X plays everything there

Calverz

Replaced the thermal paste on my x1x as a little project. Then i gave it to a friend for free who hasnt had a console in well over 10 years to try and entice him back

ZywyPL

Banned
There's absolutely no reason in keeping the old consoles given how great the BC is this time around.

JimiNutz

Banned
Wow, you gave up on Xbox One early.

I switched within a year.

I felt a bit bad because my gf bought it for me at launch as a present. I did actually enjoy the console in it's first year. Killer Instinct and Forza at launch were a lot of fun, then Titanfall shortly after and Sunset Overdrive (one of my favourite games of the generation) towards the end of that year. I'd say it arguably had a better first year than PS4 in terms of first year software.

But I could tell within that first year that I'd need a PS4 as well and as soon as I made the switch I never went back to my Xbox and remained a PS4 only gamer for the rest of the generation other than a few months where I played a lot of Halo 5 multiplayer.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'll probably get rid of them. There's literally no reason to keep them if all of the current gen games still work on the new gen.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I sold my Pro on Ebay for $275. I only paid $320 for it, so I felt pretty good about what I got even after fees and shipping.

I normally want to keep older systems around for the nostalgia factor, but with PS5 already playing PS4 games and at better settings a lot of the time, I just didn't see a point.

RAIDEN1

For me its a case of getting the PS4 Pro, and selling my base PS4....it came more to the forefront after seeing CyberPunk 2077, and besides there is 2 years worth of cross-gen titles left and there isn't anything out on the PS5 which would make me drop everything and wait in line.....I am quite happy to get Miles Morales for the PS4 Pro, and get the full-blown sequel on the PS5....same goes with Mass Effect Trilogy...

For those of you who have been lucky enough to buy and gain physical possession of a PlayStation 5 and/ or an Xbox Series X/S, what will you do with your PlayStation 4 (Pro) and/ or your Xbox One (S/X)?

Before getting my PlayStation 5, my intention was to sell my PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X to either GameStop or random buyers via eBay.

However, now that I actually have my PlayStation 5, I don't want to part ways with either of my previous-gen consoles, at least not yet.

I've already transferred all of my account information and the data that was stored on my PlayStation 4 Pro to its successor, but I feel like selling my PlayStation 4 Pro would be pointless since I would get only about $200.00 at most for it. So, I guess it'll just sit in my media cabinet, until I change my mind.

As for my Xbox One X, I've decided to keep it since I've yet to finish either of the only two games that I've bought for it: Gears of War 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2.

How about you guys?
I already sold it. Why would I need a PS4 if I already have a PS5? Paying 200 instead of 400 for it makes it a must buy.

Last edited:

Duchess

Right now, CEX in the UK is offering £85 in cash for PS4s (£120 if you get vouchers instead). I'll be selling my PS4 to them when the times comes.

McHuj

Already sold my PS4 Pro to BB. I saw no reason to keep the old console. And it was loud as fuck.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Probably just keep mine. Gamestop doesn't give much. Amazon isn't taking trade ins on consoles. Don't really feel like messing with Craigslist. I've been scammed on Ebay before.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am getting ps5 as fast as I can. My current preorder was cancelled.
Is there any reason not to give my ps4 slim to nephews for christmas? I am keeping all my ps4 games and will play them on ps5.. all should run better.
This time is weird. There was always a reason to keep old consoles. I still have 360 because of some leftover exclusives but ps4 lost all purpose?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Selling last gen consoles is protocol around here, you have to forfeit your current gen system for next gen. However, you can violate protocol if stock is low, that’s something that is out of your control.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Selling last gen consoles is protocol around here, you have to forfeit your current gen system for next gen. However, you can violate protocol if stock is low, that’s something that is out of your control.
Protocol? Are you speaking figuratively about a cultural practice or are you speaking about a literal law? Where do you live?

ReBurn

Gold Member
For me its a case of getting the PS4 Pro, and selling my base PS4....it came more to the forefront after seeing CyberPunk 2077, and besides there is 2 years worth of cross-gen titles left and there isn't anything out on the PS5 which would make me drop everything and wait in line.....I am quite happy to get Miles Morales for the PS4 Pro, and get the full-blown sequel on the PS5....same goes with Mass Effect Trilogy...
Now is a good time to score a used PS4 Pro. With trade in value topping out at around $175 it's possible to get one for around $250 if you time it right.

Rubik8

PS4 pro is set up in my home office next to my ps2 and ps3. And yes, I will still play it (only occasionally during work hours).

RAIDEN1

Now is a good time to score a used PS4 Pro. With trade in value topping out at around $175 it's possible to get one for around $250 if you time it right.
If you look on ebay, apart from people selling PICTURES of PS5's in the hundreds of dollars/£'s you can see that there is still a big demand for the PS4 Pro, with 34 people watching a listing, some PS4 pros going for prices close to getting a brand new PS5...so even though it may not be the talk of the town right now...there is still BIG demand there...

ReBurn

Gold Member
If you look on ebay, apart from people selling PICTURES of PS5's in the hundreds of dollars/£'s you can see that there is still a big demand for the PS4 Pro, with 34 people watching a listing, some PS4 pros going for prices close to getting a brand new PS5...so even though it may not be the talk of the town right now...there is still BIG demand there...
No doubt. But a lot of auctions are closing out between $250 and $275. The more expensive ones tend to be limited editions like the anniversary edition

Trogdor1123

Got my ps5 yesterday for my birthday. Gave my PS4 pro to my kids. Bought my wife a new tv on Friday too so the kids get her old tv as well. We also bought new furniture last week so the kids get the love seat for gaming too.

Jesus, the kids did well in the last week now that I think about it.

I normally always give away my old stuff. Consoles, TVs, graphics cards whatever as long as I'm fairly sure the person will use it.

Games and I take to charity unless I know someone that wants them.

I sold my ps4 pro about 2 months ago, because I predicted that near/after ps5 launch, prices will drop for ps4 gen stuff.

I sold pro (launch unit) + 2 controllers (from 2014, but still good condition as I dont break my stuff) and 6 games (mostly stuff that came in ps+ collection of 18 games or earlier on ps+, so not worth of much) for 280€, then I sold the controller that came with the pro for 30€, and few other games for 20€ total = got 330€, PS5 costs 529€ here so I got mine basically for 200€.

I would have gotten PS5 for free + get 200-300€ on top of it, because I got 2 of them, but I decided to sell it to my gf for what I paid for, instead of selling it for 900€. But I think I should just have sold it for profit as she fucking didnt even thank me and complains how I didnt bring her food she "hinted" about earlier on the day. And said "I dont like to play at the moment" so it is just collecting dust I guess.

So, dont be the good guy, scalp your extra systems is the lesson :messenger_beaming:

Portman

I voted for a give-away since that's still my plan with half of mine. I was going to donate both systems to Stack Up but my Xbox One X decided that now is a good time for the disc drive to fail so it'll be a defective trade at Gamestop. Still going to send the games towards Stack Up though since the last time I did a trade I realized someone else would get more use over Gamestop reselling them and me getting a trivial value for convenience.

Planning to donated the PS4 Pro but that'll be whenever I can justify getting a PS5. Going forward I'm going to plan to donate any games and consoles that I can't justify keeping around the house after they've been upgrade or replaced.

Last edited:

Desudzer10

I keep them in either on my entertainment center for BC, or i put them in guest rooms as a media box that's able to play games. Right now my brother is borrowing my PS5 so my PS4 is still on my main shelf, but my XB1 is in my guest room and my series S is in my bedroom.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
I wiped and sold my PS4 for $200 the day after I got my PS5. I had no reason to keep it and if one does come up I’ll just get a used console when prices crash.

Ten_Fold

If somebody asked me for it an I knew they couldn’t really afford one then sure I would probably give it away.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The PS5 doesn't play 3D Blu-Rays. I've got quite a collection of 3D Blu-Rays because they look absolutely magnificent on my 2016 LG OLED (which happened to be the last OLED HDTV generation that has 3D support).

So I'm keeping my PS4 Pro for the time being, because seeing a 3D animated movie on a 4K OLED is something I want more people to see. A lot of people aren't fan of 3D because the cinema experience is so poor. They're usually converts after I demo a movie. But as I said, the PS5 won't play 3D Blu-Rays and I doubt Sony is going to add this functionality when HDTVs produced in the past four years don't support 3D anyway.

PS4 Pro went to my downstairs office. It still has purpose for me because of PS5 remote play. Also because my PS5 is Digital, and I still have some very old PS4 discs kicking around.

My Launch Xbox One has been in a box for years. My Xbox One X has pretty much just been a 4k Blu-Ray player and occasional Rayman Legends machine for my son (because we 100%'d it on Xbox).

Top Bottom