• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you love old photos and posters, this will blow your mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prez

Mar 28, 2009
Apparantly the Library of Congress' website has millions of old photographs as well as art posters, war posters, etc. You can view them in compressed jpg format, but you can also download them in extremely high resolutions! I'm amazed at some of these pictures and how crips they look in mega HD. The HD photos take a while to download though (they can vary from 50 to 200MB for a single photo). I'm talking 30+ megapixels and they look amazing even when you zoom in all the way.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/

The site is hard to figure out, so I'll explain a little bit. First of all, there are links to collections of photos which is a good start, but there are a lot more photos on the site which you can only find by using the search function.

But let's start with the collections you see on the home page. Click any collection you want, then click "View All". Once you get to the picture gallery, make sure to tick the box saying "Larger image available anywhere" because those are the only ones you can view in a larger format.

If you want to see pictures of other subject, just use the search function. There are lots of amazing photos to find. Lots of boring pics too, but you're bound to find some amazing stuff.

Post any great pictures you find. I'll post some photos too.

AkuMifune

Banned
Dec 23, 2007
Austin
Dick Johnston of the Boston Beaneaters.

I feel like he's about to share something awesome with me. What is it?

Prez

Mar 28, 2009

Portrait of Charlie Jacobs, Charlie's Tavern, New York, N.Y., between 1946 and 1948

All of these were taken between 1946 and 1948 in New York, 52nd Street:

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Jul 1, 2008
Philippines
I always wished colored photography existed many years ago, just to capture the moments back then in color.

noah111

Still Alive
Dec 16, 2008
These are nothing short of fucking amazing. I love this stuff, so eye opening.

Aegus

Mar 23, 2007
Stabbie said:
Portrait of Charlie Jacobs, Charlie's Tavern, New York, N.Y., between 1946 and 1948

All of these were taken between 1946 and 1948 in New York, 52nd Street:

I see Betty Draper in the back.

Chichikov

Jul 26, 2006
The Library of Congress is an amazing resource.
And even though we had a few threads about it, it's worth mentioning once again the amazing collection of Russian color photos circa 1909-1915 (no, that's not a typo)

AkuMifune said:
Dick Johnston of the Boston Beaneaters.

I feel like he's about to share something awesome with me. What is it?
A 50mph fastball.

Kabouter

Feb 10, 2006

Emperor Pu Yi, the last emperor of China, at the age of three.

The skull shelf (?!) of a head hunter on Formosa (Taiwan)

The, rather beautiful, yacht of the Prince of Monaco

British army war kite (?) and parachute

The streets of Berlin in 1913

The airship 'The America' on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen, part of an attempt to reach the North Pole by air. After several failed attempts, and hearing of another claim of having reached the pole, Walter Wellman gave up. For more information, see wikipedia here.

Street car in The Hague (Netherlands), makes public transport seem a lot fancier than the filthy mess it is now.

ymmv

Banned
Mar 17, 2007
Amsterdam, NL
Stabbie said:

How do you find a larger version of this photo on the LOC site? I'm unable to find anything with the (awful, AWFUL) search engine. It's like they deliberately made it impossble to find what you're looking for.

BTW I hope everyone already knows the insanely great www.shorpy.com site?

Prez

Mar 28, 2009
ymmv said:
How do you find a larger version of this photo on the LOC site? I'm unable to find anything with the (awful, AWFUL) search engine. It's like they deliberately made it impossble to find what you're looking for.
Here you go:

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/gottlieb:@field(SUBJ+@1(Fifty-second+Street++New+York,+N+Y++--1940-1950+))

Lots of different versions of the same pic. Pick out the one you like best. (it's the .TIF version you're looking for which is about 20 Megapixels big)

AlexMogil

Aug 6, 2007
Shortt Sirket said:
Amazing picture:

The darring dos of horseless carriage racing achieved a spectacular speed of thirty and four furlongs an hour. Only The Almighty Creator's messengers themselves could touch such speeds. Huzzah!

Escape Goat

Jun 6, 2004
DC
I like how these pics make it seem like these things actually happened. That these are literal snapshots in time and not just recreation from a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.