• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you love old photos and posters, this will blow your mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibbles

pvnO5.jpg

Well, damn.

Woz

For those that want to print some of these pictures, I suggest to print it in labs that use lambda printers, and not inkjet printers. It's much much better.

I just watched all the episodes of Boardwalk Empire. Here are some cool related pictures.

Boardwalk, Atlantic City, N.J.
4a11551r.jpg

Boardwalk at night, Atlantic City, New Jersey
3c05985r.jpg

Governor Edwin P. Morrow signing the Anthony Amendment--Ky. was the twenty-fourth state to ratify, January 6, 1920
00036r.jpg

New York City Deputy Police Commissioner John A. Leach, right, watching agents pour liquor into sewer following a raid during the height of prohibition
3c23257r.jpg

Men standing in warehouse with cases of confiscated(?) liquor
3b42134r.jpg

Republican National Convention, 1920
6a27012r.jpg

Eddie Cantor
27721r.jpg

Kabouter

volksvlijtu9q7g.jpg

1864 - The Paleis voor Volksvlijt in Amsterdam. Inspired by the crystal palace in London that was built for the 1851 World Fair, it was built for exhibitions originally, but it was later used mainly for general entertainment and for luxury shops. It burned down in 1929, seven years before the Crystal Palace in London did. The building for the Dutch Central Bank now stands where this once stood.

1938midwinterhoornvjwik.jpg

1938 - A Dutch farmer blows his Midwinterhoorn, a wind instrument used in some parts of the Eastern Netherlands between the first Sunday of Advent and Epiphany.

1912prohibitionsr6t0.jpg

1912 - Dutch prohibition poster, it is asking people to sign a petition that asks for the right for local governments to decide for themselves whether or not alcohol can be sold within their municipality. The boards on the door of the closed pub read 'The will of the people'.

1950leliegrachtax12t.jpg

1950 - Leliegracht in Amsterdam

1963directionshotline1b0zl.jpg

1963 - Hotline where people could call for directions

ymmv

Banned
volksvlijtu9q7g.jpg

1864 - The Paleis voor Volksvlijt in Amsterdam. Inspired by the crystal palace in London that was built for the 1851 World Fair, it was built for exhibitions originally, but it was later used mainly for general entertainment and for luxury shops. It burned down in 1929, seven years before the Crystal Palace in London did. The building for the Dutch Central Bank now stands where this once stood.

And this is what that new building looks like. No wonder so many people feel that most modern architecture is rubbish.

fda7c_20091103080140_DNB_kantoor.jpg

ymmv

Banned

That's Veronica Lake with her trademark hair style.

_origin_Vai-dzivi-2.jpg

That's Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia, knitting in her mother’s boudoir. The Tsar’s children were expected to spend their idle time doing needlework for charity auctions.

Melchiah

DgLjA.jpg

gTOzR.jpg

mM97N.jpg

Ironically, on the left of photo, another café called Le Ciel (Heaven) sits next door. Your choice of hell or heaven...

5mWNJ.jpg

xG4aB.jpg

2dQl7.jpg

Kabouter

Due to it finally being a proper winter here in the Netherlands now, popular blog site put up some winter themed photos from the past. Source (more pictures there)
thehague1913barb2.jpg

January 1st 1913, The Hague - Queen Wilhelmina and Princess Juliana in a sleigh

amsterdam1937dlp82.jpg

March 10th 1937, Amsterdam (love this photo and the next one)

amsterdam195091pu3.jpg

December 15th 1950, Amsterdam

emmen1937p4oay.jpg

January 26th 1937, Emmen, men clearing the railway

amsterdam1941ftrhj.jpg

January 5th 1941, Amsterdam

amsterdam1936osr78.jpg

February 11th 1936, Amsterdam, Girls skating on ice

Melchiah

Due to it finally being a proper winter here in the Netherlands now, popular blog site put up some winter themed photos from the past. Source (more pictures there)

amsterdam1937dlp82.jpg

March 10th 1937, Amsterdam (love this photo and the next one)

Great pics. I particularly like that one.

Great pics. Call me morbid but all I can think is that every person in every single one of these photos is dead dead dead. And someday you and I will be, too. We'll just be strangers in photos.

There's only a huge TIFF of this otherwise, but here's the Graf Zeppelin flying over Washington DC:

And the Navy's airship Los Angeles entering its hangar. I love seeing the shots of the classic dirigibles.

6a32983r.jpg

I want this pic hanging over my bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom