• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you play FIFA, Madden, F1 etc, how often do you buy a new version??

MOTM

Banned
Those sports games which get a new version each year - FIFA, Madden, F1 etc - are what I'm talking about.

I suppose there used to be more. Tiger Woods, NHL, NBA - maybe they still get US releases.

So, do you get every single version? Or do you skip years here and there?

For me, it's as follows:

FIFA, I get one a few years into a gen, and then another as the gen comes to an end. So I got FIFA 15 just after I got a PS4 and then got FIFA 20 recently.

WRC and F1 I get every year, but I get them a year later. So recently I got F1 2019.

I buy all Big Amy's cricket games, but they aren't annual, and they play very differently from each other, and also seem to hold their value, in the UK at least.

How about you people?
I buy FIFA every year but wait a few months for it to go on sale, always buy it for +/- half price. I know I’m only paying for transfer updates ... I’m a sucker.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I bought NCAA Football every year until it got cancelled and will resume doing so when it returns. I'll probably wait a few months until Madden hits $30 to buy it.

NeonDelta

fifa - every year although most of the time I wait for sale
pes - every other year depending on reviews
madden/nhl/ufc - usually get the trials but won’t pay more than 25 quid and usually wait for it to be on ea play
nba - will only buy if half price on sale
f1 - buy every few years

xrnzaaas

I used to buy F1 games on a yearly basis, but not on launch, usually in a bigger sale a few months later. But with the BLM/anti-racism propaganda last year and the hypocrisy of racing in Saudi Arabia since this year (plus Codemasters becoming a part of EA) I'm thinking of putting a stop to it, at least for a few years.

I've also bought all of the recent WRC games except for WRC 8. And since WRC 9 didn't blow me away I may as well decide to skip WRC 10.

Last edited:

xShaun

So, I bought FIFA every year consistently since 2014-2020 mostly on PS4 because of marketing but some of them got on xbox too.

When the big EA deal with xbox happened I decided for the first time in ages to not buy FIFA as it would be free with my gamepass sub.

Then EAGate happened -small recap- EA employees were selling very rare powerful cards on twitter to people in DMs. It really put me off FIFA 21 so I might not even touch it when it's "free" which is a shame because I dislike PES.

sendit

I have EA Play Pro. I spend 99 dollars a year to play all of EA's great library of triple A classic video games, in addition to early access and day 1 new releases.

Last edited:
Top Bottom