• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were Phil Spencer, or Jim Ryan, would do acquire Platinum Games?

If you were Phil Spencer, or Jim Ryan, would do acquire Platinum Games?

• Yes absolutely

Votes: 63 27.4%
  • NAH!!

Votes: 167 72.6%

• Total voters

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Fresh Prince Jazz GIF by Nick At Nite

Anime-Vix

If MS is able to fully acquire them and nobody leaves. Absolutely. The issue with Platinum is that they keep stretching their resources to multiple projects in order to keep their studio open.
This has hurt the quality of their games. If they are able to be acquired by MS. They have the money and resources to simply focus on making quality AAA and AA titles.

Not unless they were at a very cheap price. They currently don't do anything that makes them special or unique. They'd get lost in a tide of shovelware with Microsoft and if they joined Sony, I don't think they have the spark to create a AAA IP that can stand with the portfolio they have. That being said, I think Returnal is a steaming pile of crap and I think HouseMarque are just making up numbers to be honest.

Warablo

They usually have fun gameplay, but I think their last two games were massive flop? They usually always make niche games, while decent, probably aren't worth it for a big publisher.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Isn't their biggest problem generally that they work on restricted budgets? Being owned by Sony or MS would immediately solve that problem. They have shown that they can create amazing games and I think Bayonetta 3 will be another banger from them.

Gambit2483

Platinum is too hit or miss....and I LOVE Platinum.

Honestly, they are best (business wise) as contract exclusives...sorry Hideki 😅

On the surface I'd pass, but it's hard to make a call like this without better information of what is going on inside the studio.

There is definitely a high upside to it.

Last edited:
Isn't their biggest problem generally that they work on restricted budgets? Being owned by Sony or MS would immediately solve that problem. They have shown that they can create amazing games and I think Bayonetta 3 will be another banger from them.
Yeah. They're very good at making a very specific style of 3D action game. They make important titles, but they really don't make system-sellers.

They are a weird studio. At their new studio, we are free phase they made Bayonetta and Vanquish, probably passion projects with some freedom and on the other end seem to work well within Nintendo which are usually stricter and dictate what they want. MS and their throw money at problems and Sony's competitive within their studio family approach might not work.
But while they probably overvalue themselves buying studios is a fun hobby for CEOs right now, so why not... best case, they get their act together, worst case, losing less money than on overpriced huge acquisitions.

Cyberpunkd

Tricky question, one one hand they are obviously talented with a stroke of genius.

On the other hand they have terrible project management and are unable to approach their work rationally.

Having said that you can probably grab them on the cheap so why not take the risk?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
There is worse than Platinum games out there so yes I would buy them. The question is more can they accept to play by the rules of the buyer?
They have worked with:
Microsoft Scalebound ( abandonned)
Nintendo( wonderful 101, bayonetta series...)
Sega (many games)
Activision( mostly license games)
Square enix( nier automata❤️then Babylon fall)
The fact that many of those top publishers accepted to do business with Platinum games prove that they have potential. Only microsoft is the odd one who did not try to repeat the experience. Under a good leader like Sony or Nintendo I could see them do great things. But
they already have alternatives and don't need them.Too big to be cheap, not big enough to be an evidence.

Why not Nintendo? They've been working with them most. Bayonetta 3 is bound to be at least good.
Nintendo likes giving them the work, and they want their games on the platform since Nintendo themselves aren't good at making those types of games. They also worked with Nintendo on Star Fox Zero, so maybe! I'd say they're more likely to eventually be a Nintendo-owned studio than any other platform holder. I think Nintendo got a little burned by Wonderful 101. They pushed it so, so hard as a tentpole title for Wii U, but it just did nothing. Sales were so bad, Nintendo didn't even care to publish it on the Switch.

Sony seems like the least likely to acquire them, if they do get purchased at some point I would think it'd be either Microsoft or Nintendo.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Nah. They'd be a bad fit for Sony and obviously Xbox. They're better off on their own. For every Bayonetta we get something like Babylon's Fall. Still trying to figure out what they're were thinking with that one.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Totally.

They are desperate. The exec was begging to work on scalebound again and babylons fall might be among the biggest bombs in modern day gaming.

Somebody offer them $50,000 and they might say yes.

hinch7

No. They have been fairly hit or miss lately. With delays, cancellation of a AAA project and poor quality releases. So they wouldn't be a good investment, at all.

Additionally PG's titles are quite niche, in the sense they don't sell all that well outside a few select games.. even popular ones like Bayonetta. Only Neir Automata is a stand out one with over 6M sold.

Also. From a tech POV, if you look at their games objectively.. they haven't really moved a lot from PS3/360 era as a whole.

Last edited:
Honestly yeah but not for the games, just to make Kamiya my bitch. I’d even double down and hire Inafune and make Kamiya report directly to him.

Top Bottom