• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If your fav celeb came out as a sexual predator

Status
Not open for further replies.
WAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snUht1LQ5nU

You can't blame the whole white race
For slavery, cause this ain't the case
A large sum of white people died with blacks
Tryin' hard to fight racial attacks
The media wants you to think that no whites
Really fought and died for Civil Rights

He might not be racist but he "doesn't give a fuck that" that Afrika Bambaata is a serial child molester.

“When you’re talking about Afrika Bambaataa, first of all, you’re talking about the person who invented hip-hop,” KRS-One said in the sit-down. “Not participated in it. There was no hip-hop before Afrika Bambaataa. Let’s start there, so anyone who has a problem with Afrika Bambaataa should quit hip-hop.”

The “South Bronx” rapper also dismissed the allegations as “accusations and gossip” and said he believed Bambaataa was beyond reprimand.

“Some of us are infallible,” KRS-One said. “Some of us are going to have to be untouchable or our entire culture is going to fall. Our culture cannot fall on the accusations of four people, that’s weak.”

KRS-One is staunchly standing by Bambaataa, but the Zulu Nation — the awareness organization that Bambaataa founded — isn’t. After initially defending him, Zulu Nation announced in a statement that it was distancing itself from Bambaataa, despite being “infallible.”

https://www.spin.com/2016/07/krs-one-afrika-bambaataa-quit-hip-hop/

Maedre

Banned
Brand New is/was one of my favorite bands ever, if not THE one.

It's hard, considering the news. :(

Oh man... just read the Wiki piece. But I still like the music. I have no problem with separating the music and the persons behind the music.

I also like Spaceys work. The person behind the work doesn't make his performance bad.

Typhares

Personally I don't feel emotionally invested in any celebrity. I enjoy watching talented people doing talented things. I would assume that if they are outed as a sexual predator then they won't be able to keep doing that and that's fine by me, someone else will do it. But that won't stop me from watching/listening to things they have been a part of already that I liked.

llien

Two come to mind from my "favorite" list:

Herbert George Wells - racist (check "When the Sleeper Wakes" for instance, my jaw dropped when I read it as a kid)
Woody Allen - possibly a child molester

They don't stop being one of the a greatest sci-fi authors and one of the greatest directors.
Yet, it doesn't mean that racism or pedophilia are even remotely acceptable to me.

Jezan

I think many songs with sexual tones would be ruined for good, I would overthink them :(

Or maybe just enjoy the songs I enjoyed before but not new ones.

Gloggins

His crimes are different / worse but I still listen to Burzum. So it wouldn't make any difference to my habits.

Varg is most certainly not my fave celeb, that's just an example.

LordPezix

I guess it wouldn't really matter to me because I enjoy their portrayal of the characters themselves, not the actual person. Also, since I'm not involved in Hollywood and have never met any of these actors I can't say that it would lessen my enjoyment of their characters.

aaronsan

Banned
Ewan McGregor
Keanu Reeves
Sam Rockwell

Would be rather devastating to me

From what I know about Keanu's personal life, I think you're pretty safe on that count.

Good topic though, man.

Louis CK was honestly my fav comedian so I can use him as an example. His comedy touched on masturbating in public so its ruined for me.

I think it would be very hard for me not to think about the sexual predation when trying to consume the media from that celebrity, so it would probably be ruined. But (because they're so much complaining about boycotts these days) it wouldn't be a boycott, not really.

It would just take so much effort to ignore what I know, it would ruin the experience anyway and defeat the purpose of trying to ignore it. So I would seek other entertainment.

I mean, FFS, it's not like we don't have a plethora of choices, right?

I'm not a twelve year old girl, I don't have a 'fav celeb'
This, I don't put anyone on a pedestal... and I don't care how many books they wrote, how many films they directed, how many oscars won, how many world records they broke, they are all human beings like myself.

But to answer your question.... yeeeeah, let's say I listen to a lot of 90's grundge lately on the internet radios. And let's say, good ol' Eddie Veder there (God forbid) was ousted as a sexual predator... would I skip the track if Jeremy came on? Yeah maybe, maybe I'd let it play it if I was in the mood to hear that song. .. Basically I wouldn't go to my living room, dust off the ol' Pear jam box set and throw in the fireplace I guess.

Woody Allen is also a great example, he's known to be a creep and a sexual deviant since the early nineties... As much as I have admired some of his films, I cannot get myself to really explore all of his work and movies. I have a hard time respecting the guy on a personal level even though I think he made some great films.

Ironically he made a film depicting Louis CK at his most accurate self.

I'd kick my own ass if I had a "fav celeb"...

Ow_the_edge.jpg

Blood Borne

I'm pretty sure the responses to this question will be that of virtue signalling.

Truth is, most people boycott when the cost is low to them. Of course people will say they will no longer watch Actor X movies, because it's something they can live with out.

But how many people here in GAF will give up all their Steam games and account if Gabe Newell turns to be a sexual predator. How many people will never ever play Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft console if they found their respective CEO is a racist? How many people will never ever use an iPhone if Apple CEO once committed a rape act?

Most people might go on the Internet and virtue signal to the max but will continue using their products in private. Because ultimately, underneath all the virtue signalling and faux outrage, people don't care about the chef, they only care about the food.

n0razi

I'm a pretty cynical guy so I already think every celeb is a sexual predator; basically it wouldn't affect my existing thoughts on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom