• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGA talks rondo of blood PSP, a little POR, and next gen castlevania

Amir0x

Banned
GR: Inconsistencies?

KI: Inconsistencies. So what I did was that I [edited] the storyline.

There was one level - so-called the Seabass Takatsuka level. The current Winning Eleven producer Seabass had been working on the [original] PC Engine version. Almost every element from the stages was combined in one specific level. We... didn't like it.

GR: This was in the original version?

KI: The original version. Takatsuka was working on one certain stage. But what he did was pull out every element from the other stages, which I didn't like. I actually created one stage from scratch.

GR: So one stage is new, to replace that level?

KI: Yes. But the spirit of Takatsuka remains over that stage.

And I would say the soundtrack, the music parts, are all rearranged. There's more that I could talk about, but then again, I want to keep it for the future.

Very interesting. So a whole new level to look forward to...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GamesRadar: Earlier at TGS we asked if you'd played God of War and you said that you'd like to challenge it and make an even better game than God of War.
:lol

now to read the rest of the article

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Iga said:
So, yes, we will retain the German voiceover. But we weren't able to spot the original voice person, so we are going to be asking a new native German speaker to take that part.
awesome!

Amir0x

Banned
GR: The PS2 Castlevania games were good games. But perhaps trying to adhere to the SOTN elements may have held them back in some ways. Moving forward, there are many different things you could do that people would like.

KI: So future Castlevania titles, obviously we're talking about next generation Castlevania. The past PS2 title wasn't a total failure, actually.

What a lie, Gamesradar! PS2 Castlevania games sucked!

GhostSeed

IGA: So I highly suspect that many Castlevania hardcore game fans, instead of Rondo of Blood, they might have wanted Symphony of the Night with 3D graphics and 2D gameplay. We calculated that. But we realized it's going to cost a huge amount of money, plus a long period of time in development. So we thought "why not just start off with Rondo of Blood as a test case?

No nobody, let alone Castlevania fans want this.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Iga said:
That's a good question actually. Because another reason I brought Rondo of Blood to PSP this time was to test case with the consumers if they would accept the linear type of game.
oh shit. if this game bombs, you can kiss old vania gameplay goodbye ;p

Jcgamer60

That was a really good interview, which i'm sure, answers a lot of questions castlevania fans like myself have been asking.

ferricide

Bebpo said:
I like how Iga is like "Look at Mario, it's awesome and full of gameplay!...we can't do that!".
i don't think that's what he was saying at all. it may not have come across in the translation/transcription, but i'm certain he was talking about how castlevania has unique areas for every level, but they wouldn't be able to do that if they created a game similar to NSMB. that recycles a lot of art to create such a long / varied game.

at his GDC keynote, it became clear how much he values those unique, pixel-art backgrounds...

arcader

Banned
I really hated this line at the end....

I'm sorry... I'm getting busier and busier. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting too old. I'm just waiting for my lottery winnings and then I can leave Konami.

What a shotty attitude.

arcader said:
I really hated this line at the end....

What a shotty attitude.

It would have been nice if they had indicated a friendly laugh at the end, so we all knew he was kidding.

He's kidding, isn't he?

icecream

Public Health Threat
What a horrible way to put all the chips on for a next iteration 2-D side scroller. There are so many strikes against it, that it seems like he's saying 'Hey, if this bombs, don't forget I told you so. And you know what, we'll put it on the hardest console to sell on as well."

ferricide

Night_Trekker said:
He's kidding, isn't he?
yep.

icecream said:
What a horrible way to put all the chips on for a next iteration 2-D side scroller. There are so many strikes against it, that it seems like he's saying 'Hey, if this bombs, don't forget I told you so. And you know what, we'll put it on the hardest console to sell on as well."
i believe he has more perspective than you imply.

theBishop

Banned
is your name really Christian Nutt? Your parents have a brilliantly cynical sense of humor!
EDIT: by the way, great interview :)

Mar

GhostSeed said:
No nobody, let alone Castlevania fans want this.

I would jizz in all directions if they made a 'new' 3D castlevania with 2D gameplay, ala Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins.

kammy

Banned
**** rondon

**** biggie

**** SOTN

hail to the king

scast4.jpg

3D CV4 AM GET :(

KurowaSan

Dragona Akehi said:
It is all going according to plan.

justasplannedgn6.png

nice interview, btw :lol

i'd have loved to hear something more about Castlevania PSP custom soundtrack (being able to use any track from Rondo or SotN in any stage)

I'm glad a 3D next-gen Castlevania is in his mind, I'd like to see it. God of War is really a good base, with more vertical platforming and exploration. I still think that the potential for something like a great 3D vertical Clock Tower level in Castlevania exists, I remain hopeful, against my better judgment.

ferricide

from this interview and also from IGA's keynote, it's apparent that what form the next gen castlevania game takes is still very much up in the air. and it sounds like pure 2D experiments have been made. we'll see...

happy to hear so many of you like the interview, btw.

Y2Kev

ferricide said:
from this interview and also from IGA's keynote, it's apparent that what form the next gen castlevania game takes is still very much up in the air. and it sounds like pure 2D experiments have been made. we'll see...

happy to hear so many of you like the interview, btw.

But he does want it to be an "action" game...I'm not sure it should be.

Chemo

jiji said:
Blurgh @ the Rondo revisionism. IGA is the next Lucas.

Good article, though. Very insightful and revealing.
Hahah, I would go farther than that: Lucas rapes his own work. IGA is raping someone else's.

lyre

Error said:
more like.... Odin Sphere engine kthxbye.
That sounds great and all but:
1: IGA can never get the budget or the artists to do something like Odin Sphere, even less both and
2: IGA's teams will never be talented enough, or even get talented enough people, to do games like Odin Sphere or LittleBigPlanet.

Face it, as Castlevania fans ... we're screwed.

Error said:
oh shit. if this game bombs, you can kiss old vania gameplay goodbye ;p

Why else would IGA release the remake on the system it's on? IGA sucks. :(

Maridia

Really sucks about the future of traditional Castlevania hinging on this games sales. Maybe it's for the best.

) :

MoxManiac

jiji said:
Blurgh @ the Rondo revisionism. IGA is the next Lucas.

Good article, though. Very insightful and revealing.

Eh, the original is included, so he can do whatever he wants with the remake, imo.

I don't mind the RPG elements but i'd love to see a castlevania game that tried a more simon's quest approach (sans cryptic obtuse stuff, maybe) then metroid approach.

Mar

After playing Castlevania POR for a while now. I'm really starting to pine for old school Castlevania. No stupid anime characters, no stupid story line, no leveling up or back tracking. Just a good damn Castlevania game that kicks arse.

I PINE!

I've wanted a new linear (with branching paths a la Rondo and Dracula's Curse of course) Castlevania for ages. I hope enough people buy Drac X Chronicles to make it happen. Not to mention for Iga to account for the still lower than the DS install base of the PSP.

ethelred

MoxManiac said:
Eh, the original is included, so he can do whatever he wants with the remake, imo.

I don't mind the RPG elements but i'd love to see a castlevania game that tried a more simon's quest approach (sans cryptic obtuse stuff, maybe) then metroid approach.

I'd love a new Simon's Quest-styled CV, actually. And in the meantime, Simon's Quest on VC would be a nice first start.

Y2Kev

ethelred said:
I'd love a new Simon's Quest-styled CV, actually. And in the meantime, Simon's Quest on VC would be a nice first start.

That'd be sweet. I feel like I'd be more able to play it with the internet and FAQs being around. Stupid red jewel tornado puzzle.

TreIII

ethelred said:

I second both notions.

If not a stylish remake, then I could easily see one of these supposed "1999 games" being more like this. It would just seem to be a bit more involving if Julius (and friends) would have to actually hoof it around a good portion of the world, as opposed to being stuck in one stupid castle and its different parts for all the parts of the game. "The Castle being a creature of Chaos", my ass...I want to see what it would be like in other parts of the world, too...

That's perhaps one of the things that I sincerely hate about some of the later CVs...for all this supposed plot line jumping, where we've been in the midst of World War II, the 2030s and, now, we're supposedly going to hit 1999 next....who'd be the wiser, when we're stuck in a castle all the time? Would it have been too much to ask for Soma to possibly have to traipse around a decimated "Neo Tokyo" to fight some more monsters? What about Jon and Charlotte facing off against a "possessed German tank" as one of their first major boss battles? And I really think it would be a nice touch if, in the CV-version of 1999, the ball really got going on Julius's adventure, as soon as the ball dropped in Times Square...and then J would have to fight monsters right there, while people are scrambling for their very lives... :D

But do we get that? Nope. Because IGA and his team some how lack the foresight to take advantage of what these time frames mean. I mean, really...it was completely off-the-wall for that particular time frame, but it was a sincere hoot to see Motorcycle-riding skeletons in CV64. Now we got more appropriate time frames, and we can't get that? WTH?!

duckroll

GR: But you're in charge of the scenario writing for all the games, right?

KI: Actually I'm thinking of retiring with the storyboards. Maybe I will only review, not writing from scratch.

I'm sorry... I'm getting busier and busier. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting too old. I'm just waiting for my lottery winnings and then I can leave Konami.

OH LORD JESUS PLEASE LET THIS MAN WIN THE LOTTERY! HE DESERVES IT, AND SO DO WE! PLEASSSSSSSSSSE! :D

What about Jon and Charlotte facing off against a "possessed German tank" as one of their first major boss battles?

You should have seen the GameFAQS board. They had this awesome topic on how to make use of the WWII setting in PoR.

manzo

duckroll said:
OH LORD JESUS PLEASE LET THIS MAN WIN THE LOTTERY! HE DESERVES IT, AND SO DO WE! PLEASSSSSSSSSSE! :D

Aw c'mon Duck, imagine if he would actually leave. Then you and Jiji couldn't bitch at me for drooling for the next Igavania. :)

That would make me a sad panda. :(

Saitou

Banned
Man, Igarashi is such a hack.

I don't want to buy a PSP just for this ;_____;
PUT IT ON THE WII, MORAN

Top Bottom