• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Igarashi says he’d be “incredibly honored” to make a Metroid game

Chaos17

In some ways, Metroid and Castlevania are intertwined. The two franchises have drawn a few comparisons due to their nature of gameplay. In fact, that’s mainly why we have the “Metroidvania” type of gaming genre.

Koji Igarashi, who is currently working on Bloodstained, actually told Glixel that he’d be “incredibly honored” to make a Metroid game if the fans asked and Nintendo approached him.

Additionally, when specifically asked why Nintendo never teamed up with him and Konami to develop a new 2D Metroid back in the way, Igarashi responded:

“Nintendo is very careful about protecting their IPs and making any changes to their games. Around the time that I was proving that I could do multiple titles and do them well, Nintendo had shifted to Metroid Prime and they were having success turning their 2D games into 3D. So they probably decided from that point on that Metroid was going to be a 3D game series, and by that rationale, my style of games didn’t really fit their criteria. That would be my guess.”

Source: Link1 - Link2

iga-1024x683.jpg

Alas, the King should have people banging on his doors to revitalize their 2D games.

I don't think it'd happen. Metroid is a IP that Nintendo protects a lot and would only greenlight respectful, faithful, high quality products.

KHlover

Banned
I don't think it'd happen. Metroid is a IP that Nintendo protects a lot and would only greenlight respectful, faithful, high quality products.
Not even 10 posts in and the joke posts are already starting.

OT:
Give that guy a shot, can't be worse than Other M or that game that should have been buried with the DSi

Chaos17

You've told me in the past that Konami didn't think there was demand for a high-res 2D game like Bloodstained. Publishers you've gone to with it have balked. Now that it's raised over $5 million on Kickstarter, do you feel vindicated?

Back when I was at Konami, the sales of the Castlevania games I worked on continued to drop year in and year out, mostly led by North America. So, what started as a $40 or $50 DS game, eventually dropped to $30 and then $20. I always felt that the Castlevania series had a core following that was willing to pay a premium price for a good game. That's what I felt our fanbase was made of – dedicated fans. But every time when the standard price of a DS game would drop, the sales team would tell me that we would have to sell the game for $30 instead of $40. I never agreed with them.

One thing I learned when we did the Kickstarter campaign is that people are willing to pay an even bigger premium over the standard packaged price for something if they feel they are going to get more value out of it and because they truly believe in it. So yes, I was right insofar as saying that the games that I make, these 2D Castlevania-style games, are games that people are willing to pay a higher price or premium price for so long as the game is good. And another thing I learned is that they are willing to pay even more than that to get the game that they want. So, that was my vindication – that at Konami, we were undervaluing the games that we were making.
I like this passage because the guy knew even before Kiscksater he hardcore fans and beleived in them. I'm glad those fans responded to his kicksarter and I hope his game will be nice. That would be a nice revenge on those compagnie who stopped beleiving in 2D while 2D can continue to evolve (ref: Vanillawre games).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't think he's the world's ideal saviour for Metroid (remember when we were tiring of samey Igavanias?), but he's definitely the most famous person with the right skill set. Considering how Metroid is dead, I'd eagerly give him a chance.

Dark horse choice for a Metroid revival: Alx Preston, who developed Hyper Light Drifter. That guy "gets" the beauty of interconnected overworld/underground ruins, and the gameplay of a Metroidvania structure.

I'd consider his game a perfect hybrid of Link to the Past and Super Metroid, and as high quality as all that implies.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a massive Castlevania player, but I truly appreciate his work and I would be more than glad if he'd take reign of the series.
If Nintendo somehow hires the team behind the Metroid 2 remake, with Igarashi as leader, that would be a perfect Metroid.

random25

2D Metroid? It's probably niche nowadays but hey I want that too. Just don't make it like Castlevania and make it more of the Metroid of old and we're good.

People might call the genre "Metroidvania", but honestly there isn't a single Castlevania game that feels like any 2D Metroid to me, not just in core gameplay mechanics but also in how levels, progression and exploration are designed. They're only superficially similar to me, almost like saying Call of Duty and Serious Sam are the same kind of game.

If Iga was to make a Metroid, I would expect him to make it like a Metroid and not like an Igavania.

D.Lo

So Metroid can have a bunch of flat corridors and badly done enemy encounters now?

I really think he has only ever made one strong game, design wise, Aria of Sorrow, and I can see the argument for Dawn (and I never finished Ecclesia, I was bored of it). All the rest of his games have been very weak, some very very bad (Harmony, the PS2 games).

In some ways, Metroid and Castlevania are intertwined. The two franchises have drawn a few comparisons due to their nature of gameplay. In fact, that’s mainly why we have the “Metroidvania” type of gaming genre.
The 'Metroidvania' game style is more accurately described as 'Metroid-like'.

There's no intertwining, Symphony of the Night simply ripped off Super Metroid's entire game design whole (the additions such as levelling and item collecting are secondary to the actual game design and just 'system cluter') and Igarashi simply cloned Symphony of the Night a bunch of times.

Neff

I don't know if making his (excellent) brand of explorable Castlevania games qualifies Iga and team for Metroid duty more than anyone else out there, since they're not actually all that similar outside of some shared structural ideas, but I don't doubt his ability to make a quality title regardless of the IP.

I'd still want Sakamoto in charge, though.

There's no intertwining, Symphony of the Night simply ripped off Super Metroid's entire game design whole (the additions such as levelling and item collecting are secondary to the actual game design and just 'system cluter') and Igarashi simply cloned Symphony of the Night a bunch of times.

I see Igavania's Metroid-esque elements as secondary to the experience, myself. There's a nice feeling of exploration to the Igavania games, but the level design itself is pretty uninteresting. The real guts of those games are the stat management via equipment and enemy familiarity. They're more platform RPGs than the type of action puzzle adventure Metroid exemplifies.

Madao

that quote in the OP explains why there was no 2D Metroid on DS. Nintendo wanted to kill it and replace it with 3D.

another one to the pile of bad decisions.

zooL

A mix of Symphony of the Night and AM2R would be incredible! I still cannot believe how great AM2R is and it was only designed by one guy! Nintendo should approach him as well, he really understands the "spirit" of the Super Metroid-style metroids that many people love.

SOTN was practically a Metroid knock-off with added RPG elements. I wouldn't really call them intertwined, one practically aped a game that was released four years before it.

Oh yeah, this.

KHlover

Banned
I don't think he's the world's ideal saviour for Metroid (remember when we were tiring of samey Igavanias?), but he's definitely the most famous person with the right skill set. Considering how Metroid is dead, I'd eagerly give him a chance.

Dark horse choice for a Metroid revival: Alx Preston, who developed Hyper Light Drifter. That guy "gets" the beauty of interconnected overworld/underground ruins, and the gameplay of a Metroidvania structure.

I'd consider his game a perfect hybrid of Link to the Past and Super Metroid, and as high quality as all that implies.

I feel like there's two better dark horse choices:

1. The guy who made Axiom Verge
2. The guy who made AM2R

D.Lo

I feel like there's two better dark horse choices:

1. The guy who made Axiom Verge
2. The guy who made AM2R
Also maybe the makers of Shadow Complex, Guacamelee, Cave Story, all of which understood and aped the Metroid structure better.

I see Igavania's Metroid-esque elements as secondary to the experience, myself. There's a nice feeling of exploration to the Igavania games, but the level design itself is pretty uninteresting. The real guts of those games are the stat management via equipment and enemy familiarity. They're more platform RPGs than the type of action puzzle adventure Metroid exemplifies.
I don't entirely agree as I think the core DNA of several of the games actual structure is still pure Metroid, but I think this is a fair position. I think Metroidvania is a decent term to describe the Castlevania games in the Metroid progression style. But Castlevania deserves no naming rights to the core formula, and unless a Metroid game comes out with RPG stat tracking/levelling etc then there was never any 'intertwining'.

heringer

Good level design is a core part of the Metroid experience and it's the weakest aspect of Igarashi's games, so I don't think it would be a great match.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I know it is mad esoteric but if, right now, I could pick someone to develop a new Metroid, I'd ask Joar Jakobsson of Rain World to do it.

Nothing but love for Iga and his projects, but Rain World is really something else and the ideas Jakobsson has on enemy AI, level design etc - now there's something I'd like to pair with Metroid.

Ok, Jakobsson and Igarashi working on a new Metroid together also works for me.

I doubt it will ever happen but I would love it. I think Metroid and Castlevania are pretty fondamentaly different in several key ways but since Metroid doesn't really have an identity anymore I would welcome an IGA game with a Metroid skin and the "Nintendo polish".

Honestly, find me one developer who wouldn't be honored to work with a Nintendo IP. I'd put Axiom Verge dude on a 2D Metroid so fast.

As much as I like Metroidvanias, None of them have ever reached the genius level design of any one of the 2D Metroid games. In fact, I feel like the level designs have gotten worse over the years, even if the games were enjoyable in their own right.

Sakujou

Banned
if fallen developers say that, that means those people will never ever get a chance.
suda, the re4guy, the sonic creator, the ninja gaiden dude... all fallen souls.

Nere

If Nintendo is very careful about protecting their IPs then wtf is Metroid Other M and Federation Force?

KarmaCow

So Metroid can have a bunch of flat corridors and badly done enemy encounters now?

I really think he has only ever made one strong game, design wise, Aria of Sorrow, and I can see the argument for Dawn (and I never finished Ecclesia, I was bored of it). All the rest of his games have been very weak, some very very bad (Harmony, the PS2 games).

The 'Metroidvania' game style is more accurately described as 'Metroid-like'.

Thank you. I don't mind a post SotN Castlevania game every once in a while but they're very different and bloated compared to actual Metroid games. Basics things like movement are fundamentally different and frankly suck in Castlevania games.

@MUWANdo

Banned
This is a complete non-story and one that's been reported half a dozen times over the years with no differences. How do people expect him to respond to such a question?

Haganeren

I don't think a single Castlevania (and i love those !) were on par with Fusion and even less Super to me.

.... But yes, better than nothing.

Top Bottom