• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGDA (not) stepping up to possibly remove Tim Langdell from board

The actions of IGDA board member Tim Langdell since his election in March 2009 have raised questions regarding his suitability as our elected representative. As you no doubt know, the IGDA's mission is: To advance the careers and enhance the lives of game developers by connecting members with their peers, promoting professional development, and advocating on issues that affect the developer community.

Tim Langdell's company, Edge Games, has trademarked the word "edge" and they leverage this trademark against any media that contains this word--threatening legal action should their target not enter into a licensing arrangement with the studio. Such targets have included David Mamet's film The Edge, Marvel's comic book Edge, EA's Mirror's Edge, and Namco's Soul Edge, which was released as Soul Blade and later, Soulcalibur in the west as a direct result of Edge Games' actions. Most recently their actions have resulted in the removal of the indie game hit, Edge, from the iPhone app store.

Meanwhile, Edge Games has not been associated with the direct production of an original video game in the last fifteen years.

After his election to the IGDA board, in a lawsuit against Cybernet regarding Edge of Extinction, Tim Langdell presented himself to the court like this: "Dr. Tim Langdell is considered to be a pioneer in the field of computer gaming and is widely publicized on the Internet and has been engaged as a legal expert in the field of computer gamin." He adds "He presently serves on the Board of Directors of the International Game Developers Association, which is the largest game association worldwide".

Many of us believe that this is a gross misrepresentation and feel that Tim Langdell is able to use his position on the board of the IGDA to work directly against the mission of the organization. As IGDA members with voting rights, it is our responsibility to elect a board that we can trust to represent us. But no election system is perfect and sometimes corrections need to be made.

We are asking that you take some time to consider this issue, do a little research online, make up your mind how you feel about it, and take action.

Under the IGDA bylaws, we are able to call for a special meeting of the membership to vote on the removal of Tim Langdell from the board of directors. In order to do this, we need 10% of the membership to request the board call the special meeting. We are hosting a petition to this effect here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=68SOsjTK_2f9qJvOQ_2b2Zw7_2fA_3d_3d

Good to hear. Hope IGDA members pull through and revoke this jerkass.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Erm, why stop there? Remove him from the board, ban him from the organization, and help fund legal defences for any member threatened by his spurious claims.

This guy is a Leo Stoller; if anyone actually brings him to court, he'll be labeled vexatious, fined, and stripped of his right to file legal claims.

The IGDA's sluggishness to react to this issue is incredible and a damnable indictment of the organization. Why even bother having an association of game developers if they're not going to be there to stick up for game developers?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Wow, they're actually doing something about it, or at least getting the word out.

He can continue to sue regardless.

dfyb

Banned
i signed the petition after digging into it a bit myself. he seems pretty pathetic and his actions surely don't represent the IGDA well. i can't even believe "Edge" is able to be so strictly trademarked. he's a parasite to the individuals he's elected to represent.

Stumpokapow said:
Erm, why stop there? Remove him from the board, ban him from the organization, and help fund legal defences for any member threatened by his spurious claims.

This guy is a Leo Stoller; if anyone actually brings him to court, he'll be labeled vexatious, fined, and stripped of his right to file legal claims.

The IGDA's sluggishness to react to this issue is incredible and a damnable indictment of the organization. Why even bother having an association of game developers if they're not going to be there to stick up for game developers?
I think it took so many to voice concern to IGDA before they could do anything. He was elected in March and Edge was pulled from the iTunes store just a few weeks ago. They acted fast I think

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TurtleSnatcher said:
I think it took so many to voice concern to IGDA before they could do anything. He was elected in March and Edge was pulled from the iTunes store just a few weeks ago. They acted fast I think

You do know that Tim Langdell is the reason we got "Soul Blade" instead of "Soul Edge", right? He's been at it a long time. Their sluggishness is not related to responding to Tim Langdell's iPhone adventures, it's related to not stringing him up a decade ago.

billy.sea

Banned
Maybe it is a scam all along to promote IGDA! Langdell is sacrificing himself to do this.

lol, he deserves it

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Go to wondering what Edge does, since I've never heard of them but the Soul Edge stuff led me to believe they've been around for a while. From Wikipedia -

Wikipedia said:
Edge Games was founded in 1979 by Tim Langdell, originally as Softek Software (later Softek International Ltd.) in London, England.[1] In 1990, Edge Games moved its headquarters from its home of the prior decade in London's Covent Garden to Los Angeles (Pasadena). Edge is best known for its 1985 title Fairlight and its 1987 title Garfield: Big Fat Hairy Deal.

Although the company is still active, Edge Games has not released a new title since 1994,[2][3][4] though the Edge website states that they are working on three multi-platform titles: "RACERS" (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC), "MIRRORS" (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC, PSP, DS, iPhone) and "Mythora 2" (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC, PSP, DS, iPhone).
Best known for titles released in 1985 and 1987 (that no one remembers), and hasn't made a game since 1994? What a freaking douchebag.
soul creator said:
I guess the IGDA is about to push Tim Langdell...to the Edge

YEAAAAAAAAH
Don't care what anybody says, that meme never gets old. :lol

::edit::
Holy shit, their website is freaking hilarious (or terrifying, depending). Looks a lot like most of the projects they have on there are actually completely unrelated to the company, but because they use the word "Edge" in their titles they have to pay a license (Edge computers, a wii nunchuck called The Edge, etc.). They actually list "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins under their crossover movies/tv section. :lol

I guess the guy stopped releasing games in 1994 since he realized he could just sit back and sue people for using the word "Edge" and make a lot more money that way. :lol

dfyb

Banned
Monroeski said:
Best known for titles released in 1985 and 1987 (that no one remembers), and hasn't made a game since 1994? What a freaking douchebag.
no man, they're making new games for all the new systems. haven't you heard of Mirrors by Edge?

one of the more ridiculous things is that the devs behind the iphone game Edge offered to change the name to Edgy, but unfortunately they couldn't because Tim Langdell went out and trademarked it.

Road

Allow me to be stupid, but how will that help anything?

Aren't his lawsuits particular and under the responsible Judiciary?

Isn't his bullshit trademark the problem?

Road said:
Allow me to be stupid, but how will that help anything?

Aren't his lawsuits particular and under the responsible Judiciary?

Isn't his bullshit trademark the problem?

It won't help much, no. But it'll help the IGDA if they know what's good for them, which remains to be seen.

Road

dfyb said:
someone else will take his place on the board of the IGDA.

Oh, yeah, one idiot won't be involved with the IGDA anymore. That's always nice.

Thanks for the answers.

acanaday

Dev - Bioware Austin
Yeah. Just got this email as well.

I was pretty disappointing to hear about all his "Edge" shenanigans. It doesn't help that his company hasn't produced games in so long. It kinda hurts the validity of the IGDA, which already suffers from the reputation of being a bit of a joke for larger developers. Hopefully this move will make them more valuable to the entire development community, not just the fringes.

Zzoram

Wow this guy is a douche. No patent troll should head an industry trade association. In fact, how the heck does he own a patent on the word edge? :lol

Correction: Trademark on the word edge. Still just as ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but this guy is awesome.

He rode the word "Edge" to a spot on the board of directors of IGDA. I'd say that's one helluvan impressive accomplishment.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Zzoram said:
Wow this guy is a douche. No patent troll should head an industry trade association. In fact, how the heck does he own a patent on the word edge? :lol

Patent = idea.
Trademark = word.

He owns a trademark on the word Edge, which is totally fine, in the same way that Microsoft owns a trademark on the word Windows. The thing about trademarks, though, is that they have to be limited in scope--Microsoft can't claim that "ACANN Windows, Doors, and Flooring" infringes on their trademark.

Langdell owning a trademark on a video game company named EDGE is reasonable.

Him claiming that any video game that includes the plain English word Edge, regardless of capitalization, stylization, context, etc is infringement, especially noting that his company is defunct, is what's ridiculous. Him using classic troll bully tactics is what's ridiculous.

Zzoram

animlboogy said:
How did a guy with a 15+ year history of doing absolutely nothing but suing people over protecting a bullshit copyright get elected to the IGDA in the first place? They can't be useful for anything if they don't even properly research morons like this before putting them into positions of power. Has he done a damn thing for them besides namedrop his position Ina court document or two?

If anything, he's an enemy of the IGDA and somehow became their leader. The fact that he attacks anyone who puts the word edge in their game name only hurts developers.

Ferrio

Banned
animlboogy said:
How did a guy with a 15+ year history of doing absolutely nothing but suing people over protecting a bullshit copyright get elected to the IGDA in the first place?

If a guy can go 15 years living off a single word, it must make him a pretty ruthless businessman which might make a good elected leader. He's still a bastard though.

The actions of IGDA board member Tim Langdell since his election in March 2009 have raised questions regarding his suitability as our elected representative.
But doesn't most of the stuff they mention predate this? Not that I'm supporting his actions, but it's not like he got elected and THEN started with the questionable stuff.

What needs to be looked at here is the system that allowed this guy a spot on the board. We'll see what the IGDA is really made of if they do that.

JoshuaJSlone said:
But doesn't most of the stuff they mention predate this? Not that I'm supporting his actions, but it's not like he got elected and THEN started with the questionable stuff.
That's the fault of the tens of thousands igda members electing him in march then.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Grecco said:
Did the sue the UK magazine Edge as well?

The details are murky, but yes - they had to "license" the name from him in some capacity. It's why he uses their logo on his website.

I mean, remember, the dude is fucking nuts. He forced 20th Century Fox to pay him for use of the word in the film The Edge.

Zzoram

Campster said:
The details are murky, but yes - they had to "license" the name from him in some capacity. It's why he uses their logo on his website.

I mean, remember, the dude is fucking nuts. He forced 20th Century Fox to pay him for use of the word in the film The Edge.

:lol

This man is a horrible person, but I'd let him manage my money.

Stumpokapow said:
Erm, why stop there?

I know this is rhetorical, but for anyone else following along at home, the reason is that the rest of the IDGA board is either actively defending Tim here or avoiding addressing the issue at all, and so the only reason anything's happening about it at all is that mass outrage has driven members to try to gather the signatures necessary to force him out.

ColR100

The IGDA is a load of bollocks anyway.

You expect there to be respectable individuals and full of information at the events they hold........apparently this isn't what you find though. It's a load of old men standing around chatting among themselves, and they have little interest in meeting any new people anyway. If you do manage to speak to any of them, then you'll quickly find out they're washed up old dinosaurs anyway, with the vast majority of them being far removed from todays actual production and how things are done nowadays.

The IGDA just bullshits people into giving them money anyway. I'd just advise stay away.

Top Bottom