• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see cory's team working on god of war: Egypt or another mythos. That way the series can be fresh and sequels will still be possible by just changing the mythology.

As for the combat lead being fired, I hate for anyone to lose their job...

But God of War needs a new combat system. It hasn't changed much from 1, hell theres only so much u can do with it. Hopefully a new protagonist, new weapons, bayonettas combat lol ( I wish)

Edit: Sony's 1st party is batting 200 lately. If we're noticing the higher ups r too. If their lineup isn't killer this year or next shu won't make it to 2016... I like shu I like to see good guys win

Sotha_Sil

Lose a new Sci-fi IP, get more God of War.

facepalm.jpg

I guess I can understand not wanting SSM to play second fiddle to Bungie, but it still sucks that this is how it all ends.

Gorillaz

An ocean's eleven team, with all the hyperbalrog behind his initiative... only to reboot GoW would be disappointing, imo.

Even if the game turns out super amazing.

I'm honestly expecting it to be for a soft reboot as well.

Rest of SSM probably helping out with smaller titles or over devs like RaD

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Lose a new Sci-fi IP, get more God of War.

facepalm.jpg

I guess I can understand not wanting SSM to play second fiddle to Bungie, but it still sucks that this is how it all ends.

We were already getting more God of War. This isn't the same situation as Gears and Black Tusk. It sucks that the new IP got cancelled, I'm upset about it too, but God of War isn't the reason why it was cancelled.

rdrr gnr

And it's reasonable to think so. I just prefer leaving things open ended until I see more evidence :)
But not so open that your rejecting certain evidence for the sake of neutrality. I doubt SSM was juggling $100 million dollars worth of new IP especially with a guy who seems to have a habit of leaving projects on a regular basis. It's God of War. I'd be fucking astounded if what we see in two years is anything but God of War out of SSM.

Edit: Nicer.

Sotha_Sil

We were already getting more God of War. This isn't the same situation as Gears and Black Tusk. It sucks that the new IP got cancelled, I'm upset about it too, but God of War isn't the reason why it was cancelled.

I know it isn't because of God of War, that's what my second sentence was about lol.

But God of War is all we will be getting from SSM for a long time, it seems.

viveks86

But not so open that your rejecting certain evidence for the sake of neutrality. I doubt SSM was juggling $100 million dollars worth of new IP especially with a guy who seems to have a habit of leaving projects on a regular basis. It's God of War. I'd be fucking astounded if what we see in two years is anything but God of War out of SSM.

Edit: Nicer.

If SSM didn't trust the guy, I don't think they would re-hire him in the first place. Having said that, point well taken. But I never said it's not God of War. Am I not allowed to be uncertain? :D

rdrr gnr

I know it isn't because of God of War, that's what my second sentence was about lol.

But God of War is all we will be getting from SSM for a long time, it seems.
I remember rushing over to my cousin's house to play the original God of War when it came out. Fuck. It'll be a decade next year and probably 12 years by the time the next game is in our hands. Imagine having worked on all the God of War titles and to finally have the opportunity to try something new only to then have the project canceled and be fired on top of that. I know SSM does a lot more than GoW, but fuck. It just seems like such a waste.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Yup. Just keep saying that for the next 10 pages, maybe everyone will get it eventually. We'll go on rotation. I'm going to sleep.
According to how SSM operates by Mort, you want to talk to Shannon Studstill.
According to good ol' Mort, the Director of SSM, Shannon Studstill, most likely handed down this decision. She probably had to get it approved by Shuhei and I doubt he would veto such a decision. But hey, Shu didn't like buggy glitchy early version Demon Souls, so he's sucks at his job big time.

Once again, the project had to undergo direction changes to differentiate itself from Destiny. This caused development to go awry. After that, the game probably didn't hit its milestones, was on the edge of ramp up production, and was cancelled instead of going in the full production. The reason for the cancellation may have been that the game would have taken too long to get to market, it wasn't going to perform well in the market, or any other multitude of reasons.

Obviously all these people losing their jobs and an IP many were excited to see got cancelled is shitty news. Is their anything good that could come out of this?

Obviously all these people losing their jobs and an IP many were excited to see got cancelled is shitty news. Is their anything good that could come out of this?

That the game was bad, and brute forcing it would had caused more people to lose thier jobs eventually.

So the answer is no, unless you're a slider.

They apparently preserved the assets and plan to use them in one of their next games, so I guess not everything is lost.

KumaJG

Hmm DemonNite if you still around, tell the higher up to make an action/horror game based on Japanese mythology! Maybe I should tweet my idea to Shu

Apparently Microsoft is hiring some of them so good for xbox I guess
Good news for xbox for sure.

That the game was bad, and brute forcing it would had caused more people to lose thier jobs eventually.

So the answer is no, unless you're a slider.
a bite size hamburger?

They apparently preserved the assets and plan to use them in one of their next games, so I guess not everything is lost.
Well at least it wasn't a complete waste.

ND is not the only studio with a lot of freedom working for Sony...
Yes, hyperbolic comment for sure. I guess the massive disappointment at the news is part of some irrational posting. I was really looking forward to this game being unveiled at E3. This was my most interested unannounced game from Sony's arsenal. GOW 3 was absolutely epic, and letting Stig loose on a new IP would have been mesmerizing. Can't wait for U4, LBP3 and whatever MM is making, and excited but extremely skeptical of GG's wester RPG. Has Shu heard of the Witcher 3 or Dragon Age though? Nobody tweet him about it before he cancels it as well. :p

The terrible "announcement of a future announcement that the game will come even later after being announced" is also cringeworthy, yet they keep doing it constantly. :p Yeah we get it Sony, you have your pants down for the first year of PS4's life which is understandable and the big guns are coming in 2015. On top of that, they also seem to showing absolutely 0 focus on Japanese devs and pushing them to make games for the PS4 (ie. fund).

Also on the PS blog, how legit are the people (mods) that run the forums? Some guy responded and confirmed that Demons Souls 2 is not being made when someone asked about it.

teiresias

Yeah we get it Sony, you have your pants down for the first year of PS4's life which is understandable and the big guns are coming in 2015.

It's really not understandable. Seriously it's not. We're coming out of one of the longest console generations ever and Sony doesn't have crap on tap for 2014? It's incompetence is what it is, and poor decisions on what to put on PS3 vs PS4 this year.

Given this development I also have little faith that anything new they do announce will be anything but established franchises rather than trying to do something new.

Hmm DemonNite if you still around, tell the higher up to make an action/horror game based on Japanese mythology! Maybe I should tweet my idea to Shu
So, there is this giant enemy crab.

Yes, hyperbolic comment for sure.

Also on the PS blog, how legit are the people (mods) that run the forums? Some guy responded and confirmed that Demons Souls 2 is not being made when someone asked about it.
That's alright. We are all disappointed. Don't put too much stock into what the PS mods say though. They know more than, let's say, Xbox twitter support, but that doesn't mean much. Besides the new game likely wouldn't be called Demon Souls 2 anyway, so the guy would have been right. It's likely a spiritual successor with a different name.

Its most definitely not like Gears and Black Tusk.

The new IP that BT was working on only had like 4 months of work on it.

This deal had 4 YEARS of work on it. Its a real pity, because for all intents and purposes if Destiny had never been revealed, it might very well be coming out around the same time Destiny is supposed to come out.

Oh well ...............

I hope this shift expedites production on other titles at least. Maybe some of these assets from the game will see the light of day in a new game? Maybe ground campaign missions to go along with space combat in a new Colony Wars game please?

It's really not understandable. Seriously it's not. We're coming out of one of the longest console generations ever and Sony doesn't have crap on tap for 2014? It's incompetence is what it is, and poor decisions on what to put on PS3 vs PS4 this year.

Given this development I also have little faith that anything new they do announce will be anything but established franchises rather than trying to do something new.

Sony does not have crap compare to who ?
So far they have mix of new IP with old ones .

EDIT good to see GopherD around .

GopherD

Ive had a tough couple of days and may come off a little cranky, but this is hyperbolic shit. There is more new ip in development than not.

You know, just coming back to the whole Destiny angle thing, I just cannot fathom killing a game with such promise over something like that.

Lets take a successful Sony IP like Infamous. The newest game is coming out in less than a month and it looks awesome.

However, we never would've EVEN SEEN an Infamous game if Sony followed the logic it supposedly took under consideration when it discarded this title.

At the time of Infamous' release schedule it was going up directly against Prototype. Which was another game featuring a superhero in an open world environment. It was also, ironically enough, published by Activision, as I am sure many of you know.

The funny thing is both games released fairly close to one another. What happened to Infamous? Nothing! It was released and garnered considerable critical and commercial success. The series prospered despite having a direct competitor.

So why would Sony kill another project with such prodigious potential when in the past it has been proven that such a project can succeed with a direct competitor, so long as that project does enough to warrant it being distinguished?

We don't know what's going on between Activision and Sony. With Titanfall being the huge success it's expected to be for the one, and Killzone shitin the bed maybe Sony needs a DESTINY type title on the PS4, without having to develop it in house.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751754
Your welcome. I can't wait either.
Do you mean the comments sections? None to very little. They have advanced knowledge on what's coming out in the next month and pretty little after that. If you mean the forums? None at all.

Are you serious? Do you want to do this right now? So you're just going to ignore inFamous, The Show, The Order, Driveclub, and the launch games? Yup. Nothing on tap. Nada.

I'd rather most of the PS3 games stay on the PS3. It means that they support their systems to the end. You'd have an argument if they had more PS3 exclusives coming out. Which they don't.

Ive had a tough couple of days and may come off a little cranky, but this is hyperbolic shit. There is more new ip in development than not.

Oh hey, you're alive. That's good. Hopefully you can weather whatever storm you went or are going through.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This deal had 4 YEARS of work on it. Its a real pity, because for all intents and purposes if Destiny had never been revealed, it might very well be coming out around the same time Destiny is supposed to come out.

Oh well ...............

I hope this shift expedites production on other titles at least. Maybe some of these assets from the game will see the light of day in a new game? Maybe ground campaign missions to go along with space combat in a new Colony Wars game please?

There was at the very least a year of work on BT's game, probably more. I'm trying to stay positive on this. Maybe the game really wasn't coming together so now we'll get a new, better IP and the studio won't take more losses.

There was at the very least a year of work on BT's game, probably more. I'm trying to stay positive on this. Maybe the game really wasn't coming together so now we'll get a new, better IP and the studio won't take more losses.
The problem is that SSM in general take a really long time to make the games, so we may not see for some time, at least 3 years from now. :\

We don't know what's going on between Activision and Sony. With Titanfall being the huge success it's expected to be for the one, and Killzone shitin the bed maybe Sony needs a DESTINY type title on the PS4, without having to develop it in house.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/447361/killzone-shadow-fall-sales-pass-21-million/

Killzone HARDLY "shit the bed". It sold extremely well.

50% attach rate? The best for an next-gen exclusive game.

MS wishes it had an attach rate that good for its games.

Titanfall may not even achieve that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Damn, the Gopher speaks. Hope your rough couple days hasn't been related to this situation or if it was, you're OK.

The problem is that SSM in general take a really long time to make the games, so we may not see for some time, at least 3 years from now. :\
Yeah, I know :(

Haha /whoosh!

I get it now. Never watched it. Any good?
I used to enjoy it when I was about 12. Haven't watched it since. :p

Started to go downhill during the second season, Fox interference mostly to blame for that, show went down the shitter for most of season three because of it and the tool (David Peckinpah) they put in charge. Then Sci-Fi got it and we got Jerry O'Connell's brother other horseshit, still overall maybe a step up from the third season but then it all went to total shit in final season with people in charge that were more interested in testing how much Sci-Fi actually cared about the show (they didn't) than making a good show with a satisfying conclusion... Gonna stop, I feel a rant coming on.

So, there is this giant enemy crab.

That's alright. We are all disappointed. Don't put too much stock into what the PS mods say though. They know more than, let's say, Xbox twitter support, but that doesn't mean much. Besides the new game likely wouldn't be called Demon Souls 2 anyway, so the guy would have been right. It's likely a spiritual successor with a different name.
I figured as much. DS2 seems too obvious. Its budget from what I heard wasn't particularly too big and it sold really well. There's only one other series like it, it sells well enough to make money, Shu the one who decides what's what, rates the first as one of his 5 favorite games of all time, and the creator is supposedly working on something else that no one knows about. I expect it to come out in 2015.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time

No, Black Tusk's game was about 2 years of work. But dissimilar situation—that was canned because MS bought GOW. This was canned because it was in disarray.

viveks86

I miss your riddles. Are those reserved only for big events? Why not make one for us to take your mind off the difficult times? Pretty please? :)

Sorc3r3r

The last update is something painful to read.
We are full of game clones and reskinned concepts, we are feeded sequel after sequel, and a new ip, worked for years goes down cause is somewhat similar to another game?
Sorry then if i begin to think that this whole thing has more to do with the need not to annoy Activision and its supposed next big thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom