• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN compares: Assassin's Creed 4 on PS4 vs Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

That's fucking useless. Compressed video tells us nothing.

I guess we wait for a competent analysis.

Well, according to that video, the XboxOne version looks better. So as long as you play on a screen the size of a tablet you'll be fine.

Raymo

They look pretty identical. I can't even tell the resolution difference. However, I could definitely tell the resolution difference from 900p to 1080p PS4 update on my TV.

Compression makes comparisons useless if the only differences are aliasing and resolution.

Demon Ice

Banned
They're trying so hard to be Digital Foundry it's a little amusing. And knowing IGN the PS4 version is probably pre-1080p patch.

Raymo

is it me or XBone version looks better?

Does it look better to you or is there just more contrast and saturated colors? Because that is what I'm seeing and I blame their capture technique because the ps4 version doesn't look washed out like that on my tv.

GameSeeker

When competent reviewers do comparisons of multi-plat titles, the PS4 is going to win almost all of them. Silly IGN folks with highly compressed footage are useless. It's useless video like this that allows people to get away with the "900p looks the same as 1080p" nonsense.

its still a cross platform port of current gen. lets wait for ASS 5

XboxOne version is 900p and Ps4 version is 1080p, right?

doesnt look like it. look at the portion where they had the guy lying on the beach side by side. If PS4 version was 1080p the angle of the face would have been smaller, unless IGN resized the PS4 1080p version to 900p or this is pre patch

About what you would expect at this point. XB1 version has more aliasing/shimmering and that ugly sharpening filter that seems to be baked into their upscaler.

Edit: Someone should compare the pre-patched PS4 version to see if Sony uses a sharpening filter when upscaling.

Replicant

Xbone still employs the same over-sharpening and darkening of details.

But as long as you play it on small screen like that IGN video player, it'd be fine.
yUYBjW4.png

MilkBeard

Does it look better to you or is there just more contrast and saturated colors? Because that is what I'm seeing and I blame their capture technique because the ps4 version doesn't look washed out like that on my tv.

In the settings of the PS4 you can make games have more saturation by changing the RGB settings. So any differences in that sense is superfluous.

omonimo

Banned

Yeah, ps4 version is incredibly bad captured here; the hell, there is no way it's so washed out compared to the 900p. Fake comparison.

Like The Salt

Neo Member
I'll be the first to admit that I usually can't tell the difference in most of these comparison videos, but this one... wow. X1 has a lot more jaggies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looked almost identical to me. It's not exactly the most next gen looking game anyway.

BibiMaghoo

IGN comparison videos are not to be trusted. They lied about the COD video being 1080p, and still to this day do not admit to it.

The only difference I noticed was brightness and contrast. They probably didn't have the RGB range of the ps4 set to full. Still, doesn't really help with compressed video.

MilkBeard

Looked almost identical to me. It's not exactly the most next gen looking game anyway.

Game looks good when you play it at home on your own tv. Mainly because the solid framerate and the big maps. Also the water looks incredible. Downside are some textures, and the character models could be a lot better.

MilkBeard

The only difference I noticed was brightness and contrast. They probably didn't have the RGB range of the ps4 set to full. Still, doesn't really help with compressed video.

Yeah, I literally changed that setting and it made a huge difference in the PS4 image on my tv. Colors became much more vibrant. The initial setting makes the games look more washed out like in a lot of these comparisons.

Yeah, ps4 version is incredibly bad captured here; the hell, there is no way it's so washed out compared to the 900p. Fake comparison.

That was my thought. It's a blurry mess. I haven't seen captures of 1080P AC4 on PS4 like that anywhere else. IGN fail.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Game looks good when you play it at home on your own tv. Mainly because the solid framerate and the big maps. Also the water looks incredible. Downside are some textures, and the character models could be a lot better.

Looks like a current gen to me. I agree with you about the textures not looking that great and a lack of polygons. A current gen up port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom