• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Devs: PS4/Xbox 3 By Jan 2014, Xbox 3 easiest/best selling, Wii U "too complex."

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/01/the-next-generation-according-to-game-developers

The next generation of consoles starts in 2013, if all goes according to developers’ plans. In an anonymous questionnaire, multiple industry professionals told IGN that they plan to release games for the next Microsoft and Sony consoles before January 1, 2014.

Multiple developers also intend to launch software for an unannounced platform next year.

The end is nigh.

To further signal the winding down of the current console generation, approximately 60% of respondents have no plans to release games for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or Nintendo Wii after 2013. Of course, this means some 40% intend to keep at current-gen releases after next year. To that point, an anonymous developer told IGN, “I would not be surprised if something atypical cannibalizes the market, maybe even the Xbox 360 itself.”

From a hardware perspective, nearly 80% of respondents said Microsoft’s next console is the easiest to work with, and the overwhelming majority suspect it will be the sales leader over the next five years.

The ease of use compared to other consoles is assuredly attractive, too. By comparison, 63% of developers who spoke to IGN said the Wii U would be the most challenging platform to develop for. One creator went as far as saying, “we won’t be working on Wii U due to these complexities,” while another lamented the difficulty of moving innovative games unique to Wii U to other platforms. This poses the question: Will Nintendo once again need to rely primarily on first-party games to propel platform success? At any rate, the Wii U’s 2012 release window gives it a distinct advantage: time.

Ryoku

"We won't be woking on Wii U due to its complexities. However, we are perfectly fine porting shit over to the PS3 because it's the easiest shit to deal with"

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm not a techie by any stretch of the imagination, but wasn't the Wii-U supposed to have very conventional architecture? I heard Vigil had zero problems porting over games.

Petrichor

"Multiple developers also intend to launch software for an unannounced platform next year."

Wait... does this mean there's a fourth platform coming or am I misreading it?

The Boat

Developers coming up with excuses for porting to a Nintendo console? Why, I never...
It's not like Virgil went on record to say that they ported Darksiders without breaking a sweat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"We won't be woking on Wii U due to its complexities. However, we are perfectly fine porting shit over to the PS3 because it's the easiest shit to deal with"

I'm pretty sure they're specifically talking about dealing with the tablet controller rather than any hardware architectural issues.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That Wii U quote is really weird. Most devs have said for a while it's really easy to work with, haven't they?

Lot's of DS games used the second screen just as a map and it was perfectly fine. Would it really be so hard for lazy developers to do the same for Wii U?

Kyari

There're so many conflicting anonymous and not so anonymous reports on every future console right now that it seems pointless to even begin to theorise. It feels like every week or so someone else comes out and says something about a hypothetical unreleased console.

Depending on who you listen to, the Wii U is either underpowered or blows the PS3/360 out of the water for instance.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why would the WiiU be complex? Just because of the controller? So ignore it or put some shitty map on it. Or maybe because it's an odd console and doesn't fit power wise with ps4/720, making multi platform development more 'complex'?

Ryoku

I'm pretty sure they're specifically talking about dealing with the tablet controller rather than any hardware architectural issues.

They don't have to utilize the screen for anything if they don't want to. Also, there was a claim by certified devs that getting games onto the screen took as little as two lines of codes within five minutes.

Rapstah

It kind of is easier shit to deal with now that the PS3 has acceptable development tools and developers have four or five years of experience of porting to it.

They don't have to utilize the screen for anything if they don't want. Also, there was a claim by certified devs that getting games onto the screen took as little as two lines of codes within five minutes.

The design work of getting your game to work in a way that utilises the screen still stands.

The Wii U quote is pretty odd, unless it's one of those DS/Wii situations where a developer assumes they have to use every feature.

Raide

Interesting but I hope this is not another case of Developers ignoring the Wii and just letting Nintendo get on with it. Next-gen needs some competition to drive more awesome games.

Pie Lord

It's not as if they have to use the tablet's unique capabilities. So far as I am aware, it can be used the same as a traditional gamepad.

KageMaru

Multiple developers also intend to launch software for an unannounced platform next year.

Apple console confirmed? =P

Also I'm curious what these devs mean by saying the Wii-U is too complex.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Third-party devs will only aim for the lowest common denominator. This is nothing new.

Yeah, which other than the mentioned case of unique tablet controller heavy games is still an idiotic excuse. Slap a menu screen or map on it and call it a day, the controller is the same as the others.

I do understand the issue perfectly with unique games. That being said I never expected much from mostly intellectually bankrupt western devs in that regard anyhow.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Just how many times will 3rd parties continue to fuck up? When nintendo beats the shit out of both MS and Sony again, what will they say this time?

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
"We're not creative enough to plan our main series and adapt them to the new controller" would've sounded more honest.

sublimit

Banned
What was a "righteous protest" against the PS3 complexity now it will become "lazy developers are throwing excuses." lol

"When we first got it up and running, you can have the game download to and run on the pad, and everybody was like, that could take a while, little worried," Fitzloff explained. "It took a programmer two lines of code and five minutes. Working with it is not difficult."

That programmer must be god-tier, concentrating so much complexity into five minutes and two lines.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Because putting a map or an inventory on the tablet screen(which would be lazy, but still acceptable for some) is too complex.

smh

Instro

I'd guess some of the complexities refer to the use of the Wii U tablet controller in conjunction with the gameplay

Well I doubt that its just that. New hardware is new hardware, it will always be more difficult to develop for than the stuff they have already. I'm more confused by the other 40% that chose something else. Is the PS3 still mystifying developers?

Just how many times will 3rd parties continue to fuck up? When nintendo beats the shit out of both MS and Sony again, what will they say this time?

This is just one of many excuses.
"We won't make a game because it would have to take advantage of all features"
"We won't make a game because it's too unique"
"We won't make a game because blah blah blah"

Top Bottom