• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN- DK Jungle Beat comments from development team

ruffles

http://cube.ign.com/articles/523/523136p1.html

June 14, 2004 - Did you find yourself salivating over our E3 impressions of Nintendo's quirky new Donkey Kong Jungle Beat game and wondering who exactly was behind the game's development? Thanks to an interview in the latest issue of Famitsu we now know the identity of the men behind the ape's latest outing.

Taking the production role for Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is Takao Shimizu. Direction is being handled by Yoshiaki Koizumi. Koizumi was director on Mario Sunshine while Shimizu served as an assistant director on the title. Now, the two are in charge of Nintendo's Tokyo development studio. Yes, the oft-spoken-of Tokyo studio (most of Nintendo's development occurs in the company's Kyoto head office, far to the South of Tokyo) now has its first game.

In the interview, the two creators reveal a bit of the history behind Jungle Beat. Shimizu comments, "While we were still at the Kyoto home office, Shigeru Miyamoto suggested that we make a game based off of Donkey Kong. Full development on the game began after we moved from Kyoto to Tokyo last July."

The actual idea of using the conga controllers for an action game came after the two, at Miyamoto's request, attended a meeting involving the controller. At the meeting, Nintendo shared with its developers the control system for Donkey Konga and allowed all to get their hands on the conga peripheral. Says Shimizu, "We took delivery of a sample version of the conga controller and after seeing that, Mr. Koizumi offered the idea [for the game]."

Koizumi, after revealing that he'd previously worked on character control and camera systems in previous titles, states "I'd been hearing from many people that recently control [in games] is difficult, and that's when I first had the desire to make a game that was simple and easy to understand. Until now, I've only made games that make use of a standard controller, so I wanted to at last make something that had a different form of input. It was then that I was introduced to the Donkey Konga conga controller."

Koizumi reveals that his team had some difficulties in making an action game using the conga controller. "You can't perform the same kind of moves with a conga controller that you can with a regular controller, so we had to think up some new mechanics."

Further in the interview, the two reveal their pleasure with the reception the game received at E3, particularly with the large number of light users and female players trying the game. "On top of that," comments Koizumi, "all who played the game were smiling." Shimizu was pleased with the communication that the game offers, pointing to an example from E3 where a girl, having trouble playing the game, was assisted by a male companion who helped with clapping.

What we saw at E3 was apparently just a small sampling of what can be expected from the final product. When asked about the inclusion of action modes beyond the mode of play shown at E3, Shimizu comments "Of course! We're preparing a whole lot, so look forward to it."

This may be the first game from Nintendo's Tokyo studio, but it's apparently not going to be the last. The studio is currently looking for experienced game development staff to create new game experiences. Judging by what we played of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat at E3, it seems that Nintendo's tradition of quality gaming will continue even in Tokyo.

Wow, this game will be awesome! :)

ge-man

If Jungle Beat is an indicator of things to come, then I think Nintendo's Tokyo Studio will become a great asset.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
So, uh... How do you play this game? Banging the left bongo moves DK left, the right Bongo moves him right, and clap makes him jump? Something like that?

ge-man

Basically. I also think there are some context sensitive situations, but I think you got the main controls down.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Ah, ok. With an unconventional control scheme like this, its obviously going to be a try before you buy type of game. The impressions seem pretty positive so far though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think hitting a congo, clapping...those physical acts really kinda "fit" with the whole DK persona. It's perfect.

Justin

- Hittiing right moves you right
- Hitting left moves you left
- Hitting both at the same time is jump
- Claping is context sensitive
- There was also a part of the demo that was almost like a fighting game. Left drum was left punch, right drum was right punch and claping at the right time was a block.

DrLazy

Nintendo really needs to rethink releasing jungle beat over here with no bongo included.

I doubt Donkey Konga will have much market penetration here in the states. Even with the Donkey Kong name attatched, its still similar to numerous rythum or Dance games, which are not that popular in the states. At best I think it could sell as well as Space Channel 5 or Brittany's Dance beat.

My point is there will be only a select few who will own the bongos prior to the release of jungle beat, requiring the majority to spend 29.99 above the purchase price to play jungle beat.

I would suggest delaying Donkey Konga so as to have a simutaneous release with Jungle Beat or, even better, combine the two games for their state side release. Unfortunatly I doubt the second option will happen considering Donkey Konga is published by Namco (I think).

Ok here's the deal on controls.

Banging one conga drum moves DK in that direction. Hitting both together makes him jump (he will jump with his momentum pushing him forward). Clapping will make DK clap, which will stun enemies. Clapping close to an enemy will beat them up. Actually clapping is used for a lot of various context sensative moves.

The game is a fucking blast. I can't wait to play it again when it comes out.

BuddyC

Justin said:
- There was also a part of the demo that was almost like a fighting game. Left drum was left punch, right drum was right punch and claping at the right time was a block.

I know I said this on the old GAF, but it's worth mentioning again...

The whole fighting sequence is very Punch Out-esque, and it fills me with joy.

BuddyC

DrLazy said:
Nintendo really needs to rethink releasing jungle beat over here with no bongo included.

Actually, Nintendo needs to rethink releasing Jungle Beat at $50. Yea, you'll be able to use a standard controller, but it'll just be emulating the Bongo drums. They should release it at $30 with a Bongo-Bundle at $50.

Course, I'll buy it anyways. I just want to see it succeed.

Top Bottom