• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN:Don't Call Far Cry Primal Far Cry 4.5

alazz

The thing that bothers me the most is how IGN did apparently no research or fact-checking, lol. No linguist should consider proto-indo-european the root of all language, because there's a lot of evidence (and common sense) to refute that.

I also don't know if there's any evidence that suggests it was spoken as far back as 10,000BC.

All in all, I actually dig that they constructed a language for Primal. I'm curious how it's structured.

120v

Here's the thing, though - A new environment and 30 hours of content is great and all, but everything I've seen of Primal's gameplay makes it look like they've barely changed anything from FC4. And FC4 was a good game, don't get me wrong, but after FC3 and Blood Dragon I realized I was getting a little tired of the same gameplay with a new skin.

And then they show Far Cry Primal, and guess what - it's the same gameplay with a new skin! You're still raiding bases and disabling alarms (now they're bullhorns). You're still hunting animals for upgrades. You still use bait to attract animals. You still have the same stealth execution system that FC3 had. No guns, but bows and spears that basically have the exact same applications. And none of those things are bad, but we've already had three games with that stuff in it with very little changes.

Well that's what far cry is, for better or worse. I agree the last two games hew too close to the third game but you can only "innovate" so much outside of raiding outposts, skinning animals, ect.

It's like complaining a new mario game has you collecting coins and jumping on platforms

It better not be like Far Cry 4. That game doesn't launch on my PC anymore. So, chances are I won't be getting this anyway unless Ubishit come up with a fix.

sflufan

Banned
The correct numbering would be Far Cry 3.67 (repeating) as "Far Cry 4" is actually Far Cry 3.33 (repeating).

Currently, there are only 3 titles that fall under the "Far Cry 3" category, so division by 3 is more accurate than division by 4.

UNLESS we also count Blood Dragon, at which point a division by 4 becomes accurate!

SomTervo

Isn't the bit about language (+ possibly this whole interview) old?

The language thing sounds awesome, and it's the only exciting thing in the game, IMO. Watching videos it literally looks just like Far Cry 3 and 4, with guns replaced by spears/bows/throwables (which work in exactly the same way as guns).

The correct numbering would be Far Cry 3.67 (repeating) as "Far Cry 4" is actually Far Cry 3.33 (repeating).

Currently, there are only 3 titles that fall under the "Far Cry 3" category, so division by 3 is more accurate than division by 4.

but blood dragon

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Well in case I am banned before I can say this, I was only joking because you said you can call it whatever I wanted.
I didn't mean to insult you or anything, I apologize if I did.

Really poor choice of words man.
If you have said "Far cry nortonff edition" I would have laughed.
Still, apology accepted.

Sethista

After far cry 4 I oficially got sick of far cry games, same thing over again and its boring now.

But, what ca ubi do to change it up, without forgetting the basis for the games?

Blood dragon was good, maybe go all out? or do one with superheroes and lairs?

I dont know, I hope they can figure it out

After far cry 4 I oficially got sick of far cry games, same thing over again and its boring now.

But, what ca ubi do to change it up, without forgetting the basis for the games?

Make gameplay less repetitive for one

Man people are so fucking brutal on this game. People have real vendettas and issues with games, it's still a group of people creating something they hope is enjoyed, at least hold severe judgement? I'm excited that they did a complete timeline departure from previous games, and hunting with a bow was my favorite part. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

They did do a survey last year that included some crazy shit. Wonder if they're working on it since aside from nailing the setting realism doesn't seem to be the goal of this series anymore compared to the first entries.

Mr Git

The thing that bothers me the most is how IGN did apparently no research or fact-checking, lol. No linguist should consider proto-indo-european the root of all language, because there's a lot of evidence (and common sense) to refute that.

I also don't know if there's any evidence that suggests it was spoken as far back as 10,000BC.

All in all, I actually dig that they constructed a language for Primal. I'm curious how it's structured.

I also love that they've created a conlang, although also very curious how it's structured and what phonetic features they've gone for, given that we know very little about PIE aside from (reverse) typological research. Had to laugh that they're setting PIE up around the same time as.. mammoths and sabre toothed tigers, but okay.

BiggNife

Well that's what far cry is, for better or worse. I agree the last two games hew too close to the third game but you can only "innovate" so much outside of raiding outposts, skinning animals, ect.

It's like complaining a new mario game has you collecting coins and jumping on platforms

I'm not asking them to reinvent the wheel, but I feel like there's still more they could do then just the same gameplay in a new environment.

Take Monster Hunter, for example. MH4 certainly doesn't drastically change the gameplay from previous entries, but adds a new element - varied terrain height and mounting - which adds a brand new foil to the gameplay that wasn't there before.

To your Mario point, yes, every game is running and jumping, but the changes between installments are often more than just the environments - Sunshine has the fludd, Galaxy has the planetoids with varying gravity, 3D Land/World has 3D environments with 2D level structure, etc. Granted, there are Mario games that feel like just a reskin and those are easily the weakest of the series (lookin at you, NSMB2).

Despite being in a brand new environment, nothing about FCP's gameplay looks unique or adds a new element to the Far Cry series. The idea of no guns sounds cool in theory, but considering bows and arrows were an important element in the FC games to begin with it actually doesn't change much.

It's just missing that extra something.

Nokterian

All i ever wanted was damn Far Cry Blood Dragon Vietnam War 3 is that to much to ask? Still this game doesn't look worth it for the 60 euro's.

Crossing Eden

I wonder why OP didn't highlight the part where they said they're specifically not going to reskin FC4.
Because people generally don't understand what "reskinning" actually means in the bigger picture, they consider any sort of asset reuse, (usually animation data), to be "reskinning," which is incredibly demeaning to the amount of work that actually goes into these games and the underlying systems to get them working.

I'm not asking them to reinvent the wheel, but I feel like there's still more they could do then just the same gameplay in a new environment.

Take Monster Hunter, for example. MH4 certainly doesn't drastically change the gameplay from previous entries, but adds a new element - varied terrain height and mounting - which adds a brand new foil to the gameplay that wasn't there before.

To your Mario point, yes, every game is running and jumping, but the changes between installments are often more than just the environments - Sunshine has the fludd, Galaxy has the planetoids with varying gravity, 3D Land/World has 3D environments with 2D level structure, etc. Granted, there are Mario games that feel like just a reskin and those are easily the weakest of the series (lookin at you, NSMB2).

Despite being in a brand new environment, nothing about FCP's gameplay looks unique or adds a new element to the Far Cry series. The idea of no guns sounds cool in theory, but considering bows and arrows were an important element in the FC games to begin with it actually doesn't change much.

It's just missing that extra something.
I recommend reading the previews for the game, (most of which were positive btw), that talk about the new gameplay features.

"But they liked a game I didn't like! Also #RememberGodHandNeverForget" My favorite part is that they didn't even give ME3 a 10/10 and ofc the part where people forget that companies aren't AI or some shit, but composed of different people, the person who made the article didn't even review ME3 or Godhand.

Try actually reading the article, (or even the text in the OP), instead of just the title.
Lol did you even read it? it's literally a pr peice where the dev hypes their game. Most of it is literally the words out of the Devs mouth and the parts that aren't are literally a press release by the publisher slightly reworded. The game might be good, probably will, but come on. Recognize this for what it is

I love how they go on and on about making the world feel authentic but the gameplay that's already been shown looks even worse than Far Cry 3 or 4 considering your weapon variety is incredibly limited and the melee combat looks COMPLETELY terrible and boring

Everything I read and heard was basically 'quantity over quality' paraphrased. Hey, look, it's MORE shit for you to be kept busy with, MORE MORE MORE. It's like the Facebook news feed of games.

Who cares about gameplay when you can be kept busy by trivial and ultimately boring flash.

Crossing Eden

Lol did you even read it? it's literally a pr peice where the dev hypes their game. Most of it is literally the words out of the Devs mouth and the parts that aren't are literally a press release by the publisher slightly reworded. The game might be good, probably will, but come on. Recognize this for what it is
They spend the vast majority of the article talking about the thought process behind several aspects of the game, it's no different from a dev diary in terms of information. The only thing that could be considered "PR" is the parts where IGN used their own video previews in between paragraphs.

JoeDanny

Well, the idea of Far Cry has always been bringing you to a new location that other games have rarely explored. We've been to a tropical island, Africa, another tropical island, India, and now the stone age. Shame about the gameplay, though.

therapist

back in the day , this would be called a mod

watching the vids it feels like an add-on honestly.

meh

and i loved fc3/4 , no hype for this

Crossing Eden

hahaha i don't really think they need a full page ad on ign for their dev diary but ok
You missed the point completely but ok.
*Dev talks about the thought process behind their game*
"Damn it i'm so tired of PR."

People wonder why devs don't like to talk about behind the scenes stuff all the time.

back in the day , this would be called a mod

watching the vids it feels like an add-on honestly.

meh

and i loved fc3/4 , no hype for this
Back in "your day." Game sequels were far less distinguishable from each other than this. Majora's Mask for instance literally had unaltered models from Ocarina of Time but with different names.

Well I mean it doesn't look to be a step forward in any way so I wouldn't call it 4.5 anyways.
I still can't believe they thought it would be a good idea to focus on the bad aspects of far cry 4's gameplay (pet stuff in Shangri-la, half baked animation based melee) and make a whole game around it without improving the melee first. Then removing the things that actually made far cry 4 fun like mines, the portable chopper, grenade launcher and flamethrower doesn't help.

You missed the point completely but ok.
*Dev talks about the thought process behind their game*
"Damn it i'm so tired of PR."

People wonder why devs don't like to talk about behind the scenes stuff all the time.

Back in "your day." Game sequels were far less distinguishable from each other than this. Majora's Mask for instance literally had unaltered models from Ocarina of Time but with different names.
I love dev diaries what are you talking about? I don't, however, like blatant, zero effort pr pieces presented as previews. They are just a little too coZy with dev here for my liking. If you're ok with it fine but to me it's blatant and only makes me highly suspicious of the game. The fact that all the other previews and footage has left me unimpressed makes this seem like a desperate move imho.

Top Bottom