• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Factor 5 & the canceledRogue Squadron Trilogy Remake for Wii [Video]

BlazinAm

One of the vehicles in the vertical slice was the jetpack. You had to hop, thrust, descend and land on a series of increasingly smaller platforms from high in the sky all the way down to near the ground. Given how high you could go the cities were pretty detailed. They had city landmarks and everything.

Oh and the game could pull from the Wii weather channel and give you real-time, geographically accurate weather for the real-world locations. Twas pretty neat.

Where is this video? Cause all I see is that seven second video of mountain terrain. Also if I understand correctly there have been 720p tech demo done on the OG Xbox, I just don't see how the spec difference between the xbox and wii can fulfill the broad descriptions provided.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Oh wow people are actually believing this.

The mythical Wii game that everyone wanted was completed but yet somehow still ran out of money. And then no one wanted to take a chance on a Star Wars Wii game in 2008-9. And it had all the features everyone wanted at 60 fps.

all the rouge sqadron games, minus 1 and its sorta sidestory of episode 1 on the N64 were 60 fps

all the rouge sqadron games, minus 1 and its sorta sidestory of episode 1 on the N64 were 60 fps

It wasn't the 60 fps as much as it is reading like a wishlist.

You don't sit on a completed project when you are trying to get a publisher and not have something leak out to the public for leverage.

Turrican

Where is this video? Cause all I see is that seven second video of mountain terrain. Also if I understand correctly there have been 720p tech demo done on the OG Xbox, I just don't see how the spec difference between the xbox and wii can fulfill the broad descriptions provided.

The previous poster obviously saw and played WeFly and Rogue Wii. The leaked clip from WeFly only shows a brief landscape demo, none of the Wii weather channel features, or anything substantial relating to the game.

televator

Wh-wh-whaaaaaaaaat?

ibbaRRaKnKXTRp.gif

GAF, this is too big of a loss. We have to kickstart a Factor 5 revival or something.

F5 would have squeezed out all the power out of the Wii for sure, but oh man... I would wager that the OG XBOX version would have been 720p.

Zynx

Damn, would have hated to be one of the devs that worked on this. All that effort, a finished game with some pretty cool stuff - and never sees release.

Shiggy

There's no video but that guy knows what he's talking about.

You forget to mention that there was a rogue squadron: X-wing vs tie fighter planned as launch title for xbox 360 too.

My god and me that I want buy back a wii to play again these games. If Factor 5 read me you can still release these games on the xbox live marketplace as arcade, I would love to play them back with rogue squadron 3D.

Sakujou

Banned
I think i read about that back then, it heard about this being made and heard about the cancellation when factor 5 went out of business because of their shit called lair for ps3 its not the financial crisis. Also rebel strike wasnt a good game. And yes, both gc games were arlready running 60fps, so its just a port with new controls available. And i dont know how the n64 remake looked like, but i think thats the only game they remade....

Why isnt the iso or rom file not floating around on the internet??? Like star fox 2 for snes or thrill kill for psx. Games completely done and then canned in the last minute.....

So sad.....

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think i read about that back then, it heard about this being made and heard about the cancellation when factor 5 went out of business because of their shit called lair for ps3 its not the financial crisis. Also rebel strike wasnt a good game. And yes, both gc games were arlready running 60fps, so its just a port with new controls available. And i dont know how the n64 remake looked like, but i think thats the only game they remade....

Why isnt the iso or rom file not floating around on the internet??? Like star fox 2 for snes or thrill kill for psx. Games completely done and then canned in the last minute.....

So sad.....

Stop such lies

fred

Does anyone know the details of EA's Star Wars licencing..?

I know that it's exclusive but surely that can't be with all Star Wars games ever created. Did Nintendo publish the Rogue games..? I can't remember.

If they didn't then the rights to the games would belong to the original publisher(s?) and not EA, right..? And the code itself will always belong to Factor 5 in Germany.

So all Nintendo have to do is negotiate with Factor 5, the original publisher and Disney to rescue the games and 'do a Bayonetta 2', right..? Give Factor 5 access to their GameCube/Wii conversion software and get them to do the same thing that Nintendo did with WindWaker HD.

In theory, unless I've got something wrong above, it should be possible for Nintendo to publish the game.

I know that it's exclusive but surely that can't be with all Star Wars games ever created. Did Nintendo publish the Rogue games..? I can't remember.

If they didn't then the rights to the games would belong to the original publisher(s?) and not EA, right..? And the code itself will always belong to Factor 5 in Germany.

So all Nintendo have to do is negotiate with Factor 5, the original publisher and Disney to rescue the games and 'do a Bayonetta 2', right..? Give Factor 5 access to their GameCube/Wii conversion software and get them to do the same thing that Nintendo did with WindWaker HD.

In theory, unless I've got something wrong above, it should be possible for Nintendo to publish the game.

It would technically be a "new" game EA have the rights to publish "new" star wars core games, so without EA's say so it ain't happening

jimi_dini

Did Nintendo publish the Rogue games..? I can't remember.

The GC games were published by LucasArts/Activision (Activision did it for Europe). N64 Rogue Squadron was published by LucasArts+Nintendo (LucasArts US only, other regions by Nintendo).

I have my doubts this was really a completed project - that no one was aware of until now...?

At any rate, kind of amazing. What we could have gotten - this amazing (sounding) project. What we got - Lair.

TheMoon

But ...there is no Factor 5 anymore.

Shiggy

I have my doubts this was really a completed project - that no one was aware of until now...?

At any rate, kind of amazing. What we could have gotten - this amazing (sounding) project. What we got - Lair.

That no-one was aware of? We've known about it since early 2009 I think.

rjc571

Banned

The difference is that the Wii only had 2MB of memory for storing the frame buffer, which is too small for a 720p buffer, while the Xbox used a unified memory architecture, so its GPU could access the entire 64MB memory pool and use as much of it as it needed. Lots of full games on the Xbox used 720p or even 1080i framebuffers, such as Soul Calibur, Freedom Fighters, Enter the Matrix, a handful of EA Sports games, and others. The Wii had a similar fillrate as the Xbox, so it had more than enough power to render 720p content, but due to the memory issue it had no way of actually displaying it.

It's not their game to sit on..

At the time they still had the license. According to them they wanted to use the completed game to leverage someone to invest in the future of their company but it fell through. A game with a major IP presence.

And rather than leak a gameplay vid or some screens to help scrounge up something they decided to keep it quiet, go bankrupt, and watch as LucasArts picked over their corpse.

This really seems unlikely. Like Battlefront 3 was basically done and LucasArts decided to kill it because they didn't want to market it unlikely.

wrowa

At the time they still had the license. According to them they wanted to use the completed game to leverage someone to invest in the future of their company but it fell through. A game with a major IP presence.

And rather than leak a gameplay vid or some screens to help scrounge up something they decided to keep it quiet, go bankrupt, and watch as LucasArts picked over their corpse.

This really seems unlikely. Like Battlefront 3 was basically done and LucasArts decided to kill it because they didn't want to market it unlikely.

They never had the Star Wars license. The Rogue Squadron games have been LucasArts games and the trilogy was supposed to get published by them. Eggebrecht said in the podcast that Factor 5 self-financed the Wii version, but not because they wanted to shop it to different publishers, it's just that they'd have simply got better royalties this way.

It also sounds like the trilogy was finished as in "nearly finished", but still missing the final touches. When Factor 5 went under after the Superman dilemma, there was no one left to complete it and that's it. I'm not sure why exactly it would have helped to leak a video - after all, he said that multiple publishers tried to help Factor 5 when they were in trouble. Due to the financial crisis no one had the money to rescue the studio in the end, though. A leaked video would have changed nothing about no one having enough money to throw around to save the studio.

They never had the Star Wars license. The Rogue Squadron games have been LucasArts games and the trilogy was supposed to get published by them. Eggebrecht said in the podcast that Factor 5 self-financed the Wii version, but not because they wanted to shop it to different publishers, it's just that they'd have simply got better royalties this way.

It also sounds like the trilogy was finished as in "nearly finished", but still missing the final touches. When Factor 5 went under after the Superman dilemma, there was no one left to complete it and that's it. I'm not sure why exactly it would have helped to leak a video - after all, he said that multiple publishers tried to help Factor 5 when they were in trouble. Due to the financial crisis no one had the money to rescue the studio in the end, though. A leaked video would have changed nothing about no one having enough money to throw around to save the studio.

Leaking media about the game would have given Factor 5 a chance to show consumer interest to an investor that the game was worth publishing.

They had already negotiated the rights to release it from LucasArts. LucasArts didn't want to spend the money to bail them out and told them if they went under all their content would be owned by them anyway. None of the other publishers wanted to pony up.

In 2010 LucasArts got the game. They were still pumping out Wii Star Wars titles well after that. I don't think a game that was completed or needed finishing touches would be killed like that.

I suspect it needed much more work than was hinted at and failed the cost benefit analysis of LucasArts and any other publishers that were interested. The talk also mentions lawsuit concerns mentioned by LucasArts but didn't go into detail about it so maybe LucasArts sat on it, but considereing what LucasArts is (was:-<) in relation to the Star Wars IP that seems a little strange.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
There was no online multiplayer but yes to better graphics! I remember thinking it was the only Wii game I would actually believe could pass as a 360 or PS3 sku. As I recall they massaged all the game modes, even the ground missions. I didn't sit down and play it all the way through but I believe Julian if he says it was done. Everything I saw and played looked content complete.

To really rub salt in wounds Factor 5 also did a Pilot Wings Wii vertical slice that was absolutely gorgeous. Is that public knowledge? It had real world continents (Europe, America, etc.), approximated versions of popular cities (Paris, New York) changing time of day, etc. It even had a Johnny Lee style head-tracking mode. F5 made a prototype wireless headset with the wii motion-sensing bar tech built in. As you flew you could look around the screen and it would track with your line of sight naturally without changing your vehicle's course.

*sigh*
I hate this thread

brainpann

Something doesn't adds up in here....

So are you telling me Factor 5 a company with such a rich story with Nintendo that not only goes beyond providing key titles but also extends to technology and tools support, couldn't strike a deal to publish an already finished Wii project?

Actually, Julian said that a few publishers stepped in to help out and make it happen. I got the impression and without Julian outright saying so, that Lucasarts wasn't making it easy on them because basically if Factor 5 folded, Lucas would get everything anyway due to an already outstanding debt.

Listening to this podcast was fairly uplifting for me because I was always under the impression the Factor 5 was long gone. It's good to hear they are reborn and doing well for themselves. Maybe one day we'll get a new Factor 5 game one a console or PC.

Honest question. Does anyone hear think an appeal to Disney and Nintendo in the form of a petition might give the trilogy a chance? If the original Wii game is done, what does Disney have to lose.

clem84

Gold Member
I was under the impression that Nintendo helped F5, to some extent, to make those games and, because of that, the Rogue Squadron games could never appear on other platforms but if they were working on an Xbox port then this is clearly wrong. Somebody must own the rights to the game and the gamecode itself. Maybe there's a chance it might see the light of day at some point??? If Julian is uncertain if a WiiU release would be profitable, then maybe PS4?

Effect

Oh wow people are actually believing this.

The mythical Wii game that everyone wanted was completed but yet somehow still ran out of money. And then no one wanted to take a chance on a Star Wars Wii game in 2008-9. And it had all the features everyone wanted at 60 fps.

Situations like this a dependent on where the information is coming from. Factor 5 were known for doing amazing things on Nintendo hardware especially. We have proof of this with their previous games and other work they've done. Especially the case for those that were active during this era and experienced what Factor 5 could do personally. If this was some unknown company or one that never proved themselves it would be easy to dismiss. That isn't the case here. I see no reason at all to not believe what was said. I do question just how complete things were but I don't doubt they were capable of doing what they said.

For the 1:1 control it was also said in the podcast that they were the first ones to get the Wii Motion Plus prototypes. They were also integral to the actual design of the GameCube. This we had known but it's good to remind people of this. This is why they were able to do what they did on the GameCube and why they would be able to do what they were doing on the Wii.

janoDX

I feel sad, I loved the Rouge Squadron saga it was the best videogame SW saga ever and this remastered trilogy will never see the light of day, because of Lair, Sony and Lucas Arts.

I felt that SW RS2 was one of the "darkhorse goty" of that year it was so impressive for the era and it has an amazing gameplay...

The first one was really good. With a lot of revamping, the second and third could have turned out decent as well. (Never played all 3, I think I had the first two)

Where was Fund-Your-Flop Nintendo in 2008 :(

Top Bottom