• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Factor 5 & the canceledRogue Squadron Trilogy Remake for Wii [Video]

What the fuck am I reading?

217.gif

I agree with you. Also everyone fainting about 1:1 lightsaber controls should stop and think about that and consider Skyward Sword while you do so.
But lightsabers is the only time 1:1 Wiimote control works as long as you're not fighting other people with lightsabers. It just cuts through everything it touches so not having physical feedback doesn't matter.

I agree with you. Also everyone fainting about 1:1 lightsaber controls should stop and think about that and consider Skyward Sword while you do so.
Skyward Sword had awesome controls though...

Liking them or not is a different issue, but they were great mechanically. Never had a problem.

fred

Nintendo saved bayonetta 2 and Devils Third. Now it's Rogue Squadron Trilogy time!

Particularly when you consider that Nintendo have conversion software available to convert GameCube games to run on the Wii U. If the game is completed they could probably get it done from start to finish in 6 months the way they did with Wind Waker HD.

It would certainly sell a shitload and shift hardware too.

It makes perfect sense for Nintendo to make this happen...which is why we'll never see it lmfao

butalala

What the fuck am I reading?

217.gif

But lightsabers is the only time 1:1 Wiimote control works as long as you're not fighting other people with lightsabers. It just cuts through everything it touches so not having physical feedback doesn't matter.

That's a good point, except that lightsabers don't pass through other lightsabers (and vibroblades, etc.), right? How would that work?

Skyward Sword had awesome controls though...

Liking them or not is a different issue, but they were great mechanically. Never had a problem.

I actually loved everything about Skyward Sword, I just think it's strange that everyone is flipping out over this when you usually hear people moaning about the controls of Zelda and saying that it's one of the worst parts of the game.

jimi_dini

After they canceled that Wii U game now we find about this? How the bloody hell can you cancel a finished game?

What Wii U game???

Below you can see footage of Version Two, which according to one source grew from the remnants of a project code-named Wingman that was going to be a Wii U title modeled after the old TIE Fighter and X-Wing games.

What? Whaaatt?
qaoeHK5.gif

GAF, do you want to kill me today?

They fucking cancel Rogue Squadron Trilogy for Wii and a sort of Tie Fighter and X-Wing game for Wii U and instead release Star Wars Kinect? Are they fucking mental? Who the fuck decided that? George Lucas?

Danneee

First post nails it.
If it would ever come out on WiiU is buy the shit out of it.
I and 500 others so that's never going to happen:/

Like someone said a few posts ago...there seems to be a curse on Star Wars titles in the last few years. Just look at all the games which will never see the light of day. I wonder why that happens all the time with this franchise. :/

I loved the Rogue games on the GC and it would be nice to see them again on an console (even if its not an Ninty platform). Could be a nice marketing thing before the upcoming movie next year.

What an awesome episode of NVC. I say it every time a thread pops up but Jose, Peer, and the rest have really turned that show into one of the best gaming podcasts out there. If you care about the industry at all and aren't listening, rectify. I wish they dug a little deeper with Julian (Kid Icarus leaks? ETC) but that's tough stuff to talk around.

Like someone said a few posts ago...there seems to be a curse on Star Wars titles in the last few years. Just look at all the games which will never see the light of day. I wonder why that happens all the time with this franchise. :/

I loved the Rogue games on the GC and it would be nice to see them again on an console (even if its not an Ninty platform). Could be a nice marketing thing before the upcoming movie next year.

Yes, a curse that kills every potentially good Star Wars games we might get...
Starkiller-Walls.jpg

Factor 5 just seems like industrial Germany in a nutshell. Fast, efficient, doesn't complain, creates insanely impressive things whilst shrugging of indifference.

"Hey guys, how about we create a Star Wars game in 60fps on Wii with 1:1 motion-control"
"Ya".

Then a couple of months later the guy shows up with a prototype "Here it is". The other man responds "Hmm, impressive"...

"I guess so" says the man after a couple of seconds without a single hint of emotion on his face. Then he goes back to his grey computer with CRT-monitor, clacking away some programming that allows for the Wii running at 1000% capacity. Coincidentally, the project is called "Wii U" because the programmer accidentally spilled coffee on that button when drinking his brew of efficient and humble black-roast.

TheMoon

What Wii U game???

What? Whaaatt?

GAF, do you want to kill me today?

They fucking cancel Rogue Squadron Trilogy for Wii and a sort of Tie Fighter and X-Wing game for Wii U and instead release Star Wars Kinect? Are they fucking mental? Who the fuck decided that? George Lucas?

Yup. For the gamers. Love this industry.

I wonder if it would have included the 2 player co-op version of Rogue Leader that originally came with Rebel Strike?

Why wouldn't it? It was simply available as a co-op mode in the RS III menu, not even separated out as RS II. No reason to assume they'd take that out.

StevieP

Banned
Factor 5 just seems like industrial Germany in a nutshell. Fast, efficient, doesn't complain, creates insanely impressive things whilst shrugging of indifference.

"Hey guys, how about we create a Star Wars game in 60fps on Wii with 1:1 motion-control"
"Ya".

Then a couple of months later the guy shows up with a prototype "Here it is". The other man responds "Hmm, impressive"...

"I guess so" says the man after a couple of seconds without a single hint of emotion on his face. Then he goes back to his grey computer with CRT-monitor, clacking away some programming that allows for the Wii running at 1000% capacity. Coincidentally, the project is called "Wii U" because the programmer accidentally spilled coffee on that button when drinking his brew of efficient and humble black-roast.

Lol story aside,

Like Manfred and his team at Shin'en, Factor 5 were always good for tapping into these systems because of their backgrounds.

TheMoon

What an awesome episode of NVC. I say it every time a thread pops up but Jose, Peer, and the rest have really turned that show into one of the best gaming podcasts out there. If you care about the industry at all and aren't listening, rectify. I wish they dug a little deeper with Julian (Kid Icarus leaks? ETC) but that's tough stuff to talk around.

Yea, NVC turned into one of my favorite podcasts recently after dropping almost all others. NVC and Idle Thumbs is almost all I can stand anymore when it comes to gaming podcasts.

I would have loved to see what F5 could have achieved with another five years of experience on DX7 class hardware.

They'd already achieved much more than I would have thought possible on the Cube. More memory and faster clock speeds would have made some very very impressive bounds.

I don't even care that it won't release. I wanna see it!

Kriken

I could have gone my whole life not knowing this could have happened and been a happy man. Now to go cry in a corner for the weekend :(

Balb

I would have loved to see what F5 could have achieved with another five years of experience on DX7 class hardware.

They'd already achieved much more than I would have thought possible on the Cube. More memory and faster clock speeds would have made some very very impressive bounds.

I don't even care that it won't release. I wanna see it!

The insane talent at Factor 5 and Rare completely went to waste in the last and current generation. Would have been amazing to see what they could have done in the right circumstances.

Codiox

1233400426_guy%20falls%20of%20chair.gif

this...i cant even....no...just no....

now that i know it existed i will build a dimension travel machine to get into the parallel universe where this is not canceled ASAP!

Taker666

I'd sooner consider the first person sword fighting in Wii Sports Resort....if they just copied that I'd have been very happy.

Lol story aside,

Like Manfred and his team at Shin'en, Factor 5 were always good for tapping into these systems because of their backgrounds.

I think Factor 5 may still have the edge over Shin'en simply because of bigger budget. Who knows, I could be wrong.

Mlatador

Banned
in regards to the planned Wii version...

- all control schemes were supported, including GameCube controller and various peripherals
- you could even use the Wii wheel to control your X-Wing, using the balance board for pedals
- revamped content included speeder bike racing levels, third-person action sequences, and lightsaber battles
- lightsaber battles used 1:1 motion controls
- all-new graphics engine running at 60 frames per second

NOT going straight for a Wii Version was one of the biggest mistakes in video game history. I mean, yes, they didn't know that the Wii would become the 3rd best selling console of all time, but with a little faith they would've sold MILLIONS on it. A very well known IP (Rogue Squadron) + Star Wars + Motion Controls (back when everyone was raving about them) + 1:1 Motion Controls in a Star Wars game (which even to this day hasn't been done) = One of the best selling games on Wii.

And you know what a pretty neat side effect of all that would have been? Factor 5 would still be ALIVE and be making games.

Just thinking about all of this... I just can't...

EDIT: what? they even got the Lair Engine working on the Wii? And at 60 FPS? Oh boy...

StevieP

Banned
in regards to the planned Wii version...

NOT going straight for a Wii Version was one of the biggest mistakes in video game history. I mean, yes, they didn't know that the Wii would become the 3rd best selling console of all time, but with a little faith they would've sold MILLIONS on it. A very well known IP (Rogue Squadron) + Star Wars + Motion Controls (back when everyone was raving about them) + 1:1 Motion Controls in a Star Wars game (which even to this day hasn't been done) = One of the best selling games on Wii.

And you know what a pretty neat side effect of all that would have been? Factor 5 would still be ALIVE and be making games.

Just thinking about all of that... I just can't...

EDIT: what? they even got the Lair Engine working on the Wii? And at 60 FPS? Oh boy...

Welcome to major publishers in a nutshell. Just remember, they're always right. They do what's best for business.

WillyFive

As crazy and dream-like the description sounds like, simply because it was from Factor 5 I am ready to believe it was all true and it was amazing.

Games however have been finished and cancelled before, even Nintendo's own Star Fox 2.

Top Bottom