• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Factor 5 & the canceledRogue Squadron Trilogy Remake for Wii [Video]

Metalmarc

Hk04hIz9UENuo.gif

Arttemis

I have absolutely no faith in a completely motion controlled version of Rogue Squadron... But the idea of playing these three absolutely amazing games with better graphics at a solid 60fps is amazing, and having it taken away from us because of bureaucracy is awful.

If they could get their heads out of their asses and release this as a downloadable title for all consoles, it'd definitely be a huge hit. Looking at all the kickstarters in the space sim genre, there's no doubt that this would tap into a very thirsty market.

Buggy Loop

Nintendo was really fucking dumb to let that developer go down. Maybe something happened in the relationship after they tried to make Lair for PS3, maybe Nintendo felt betrayed, but otherwise, these guys were showcasing truly what was possible graphically and they even helped with the sound chip design. I really wish we had seen what they could do with the WiiU.

Nintendo was really fucking dumb to let that developer go down. Maybe something happened in the relationship after they tried to make Lair for PS3, maybe Nintendo felt betrayed, but otherwise, these guys were showcasing truly what was possible graphically and they even helped with the sound chip design. I really wish we had seen what they could do with the WiiU.

Well them fucking off in to the arms of Sony sure won't have won them any points with Nintendo, then trying to run back with a Fuck awful pitch for kid icarus that they let get public can't have helped
It's easy to say Nintendo should've saved them but if I remember right there was a lot of very shaddy business practices involved in keeping them running for a while so I can kind of understand Nintendo not wanting to be involved

Economic depression has on inverse effect on leisure spending. Why would this be a valid reason for the game's cancellation?

didn't bother watching this ign thing but Perhaps it was more to down to the depression making it harder to get bank loans and the company was hurtling towards bankruptcy at the time

majik13

I always find it weird and questionable when they say things like "the project was completed but then cancelled/scapped" How come no one knew about it if it was completeled? No marketing or previews?

Almost always games are shown off well before they are complete. I cannot think of any big game off the top of my head being revelaed for the first time as a finished game.

Mael

I always find it weird and questionable when they say things like "the project was completed but then cancelled/scapped" How come no one knew about it if it was completeled? No marketing or previews?

Almost always games are shown off well before they are complete. I cannot think of any game off the top of my head being revelaed for the first time as a finished game.

It was probably feature locked and awaiting QA or something.
Or really that's what put them under for good because having people work ain't free

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Almost always games are shown off well before they are complete. I cannot think of any game off the top of my head being revelaed for the first time as a finished game.
Remember that most of this game already existed either on GC or on XBOX.
It's not that far fetched to believe the additional content and control settings were in a functional state, especially considering Factor 5 were pretty fast workers.

rjc571

Banned
My god... all they had to do was release the game and it would have sold millions upon millions of copies and Factor 5 would still be alive today. WTF was LucasArts thinking?!?!

I'm salivating thinking about how good this must have looked on the Wii, after seeing what Factor 5 pulled off on the Gamecube. Why can't they release any footage of the game?

Nicko

Really really really sad... The rogue squadron games were truly and amazing part of my childhood/teenage years.

When I waited in line for a gamecube when it released, it was Rogue Squadron II that I picked up first. My God, the game was absolutely breathtaking. The fluidity of the gameplay, the amazing normal mapped textures.. Absolutely blew me away. Played and loved every part of that game. All of the hidden secrets and codes you could enter too! Really fun times.

If any of the Factor team reads this, I wish you all the best with your new company/endeavors. I will be waiting right there ready to buy whatever you guys put out. Really hope we will get to play something on a traditional gaming system again.

virtualS

Nintendo should have had the fortitude to step in, destroy all legal hurdles and publish this themselves.
It's such a no brainer that I wonder if there's more to the story than meets the eye. Perhaps Factor 5 were asking too much.

Anyway, I've always been a huge fan of Factor 5 and had this been released no doubt it would've been huge. And who knows, they might still be intact and I'd be playing Thornado or whatever the Turrican sequel was going to be called.

Would've also liked to see Factor 5 continue on developing for the PS3. I'm sure we would have seen some technically amazing stuff.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
What I saw was great. Mii's for the light saber dueling. It also had this fantastic 'casual mode' that (with intelligent control/aim-assist) allowed you to play the game with a single Wii-mote. Used pointer-controls at times.

TheMoon

What I saw was great. Mii's for the light saber dueling. It also had this fantastic 'casual mode' that (with intelligent control/aim-assist) allowed you to play the game with a single Wii-mote. Used pointer-controls at times.

=O

the wound is still fresh!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Tell us more!
Any noticeable graphical improvements vs. the GC games? Online multiplayer? Improvements to 3rd person on foot missions?

Oersted

Your post. I'm just pissed now. The thing would have sold. And would have been great. For fucking fucks sake...

RayMaker

Banned
My god, sometimes I think the suits really dont get it.

God, there are son many games there should of come out.

Rouge leaders a light saber game, running on the liar engine @ 60fps on wii, that would of been amazing sight to see on the wii.

and rouge squadron 3 as a 360 launch game, with co-op!!!!!!!, that would have been amazing.

why oh why oh why :(

Phil S.

Banned
This makes me very disappointed, as Rogue Squadron II and III are two of my favorite Star Wars games next to the Battlefront series.

I just got a copy of the N64 original Rogue Squadron that I'm anxious to try out.

OryoN

So what are these guys doing now with all their talent?

I'd hate to know they are just sitting on the sidelines doing nothing. There're plenty avenues out there these days if they want to stay in the game. Kickstarters, contract work/programming, specializing in ports, or simply seeking work at another company(anyone would be glad to have such expertise onboard).

Of course, if Nintendo were playing hard, that would've been an easy acquisition, for relatively cheap, for a team that loves working with them(providing Factor 5 actually wanted such a deal). Having another overseas company that they can farm out projects to(ala Luigi's Mansion 2) - while they oversee the quality - is just the thing Nintendo needs right now, with their virtually nonexistent 3rd party support.

The whole NVC was great to listen to, hearing aobut Factor 5 from the start to the end.

It's absolutely mind-blowing that Lucasarts didn't want to bail out essentially what was a completed game. Plus the little tidbit on the Pilotwings/Wii Fly was interesting too.

I hope that these guys don't stay in the ios/casual realm for too long; there's a ton of talent there.

So what are these guys doing now with all their talent?

I'd hate to know they are just sitting on the sidelines doing nothing. There're plenty avenues out there these days if they want to stay in the game. Kickstarters, contract work/programming, specializing in ports, or simply seeking work at another company(anyone would be glad to have such expertise onboard).

Of course, if Nintendo were playing hard, that would've been an easy acquisition, for relatively cheap, for a team that loves working with them(providing Factor 5 actually wanted such a deal). Having another overseas company that they can farm out projects to(ala Luigi's Mansion 2) - while they oversee the quality - is just the thing Nintendo needs right now, with their virtually nonexistent 3rd party support.
This: TouchFish™ by TouchFactor
https://appsto.re/us/05cIO.i

Julian gives it the hard sell during the podcast, but... yeah. Saddest thing in the episode.

jdkluv

I agree with you. Also everyone fainting about 1:1 lightsaber controls should stop and think about that and consider Skyward Sword while you do so.

Sword-swinging wasn't 1:1 in SS though. The kendo in Wii Sports Resort would be closer to that.

Chindogg

Wait. The project is completed?

WHY HASN'T ANYONE LEAKED IT YET? I'D RATHER PLAY THIS THAN NOT PLAY IT.

And of course because those shitheads at EA have the exclusive license we'll never see anything like it ever.

Christ this is depressing.

Something doesn't adds up in here....

So are you telling me Factor 5 a company with such a rich story with Nintendo that not only goes beyond providing key titles but also extends to technology and tools support, couldn't strike a deal to publish an already finished Wii project?

Most likely they couldn't secure the license and financial problems caused them to miss the deadline to release it.

Something doesn't adds up in here....

So are you telling me Factor 5 a company with such a rich story with Nintendo that not only goes beyond providing key titles but also extends to technology and tools support, couldn't strike a deal to publish an already finished Wii project?

Top Bottom