• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Final Fantasy XV Director Discusses What's Next (FFXV DLC; His Next Project)

Koozek

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/01/pax-2017-final-fantasy-xv-director-discusses-whats-next

On what's next for FFXV:
“That’s a very important question,” Tabata told IGN. “Episode Ignis does mark a certain milestone in development for the game. But from then, we really want to engage with the community and find out what the content is that they absolutely have to see, they really want to see in the game. If there is that call for it, these people really do want to see a certain piece of content realized and added to the game, I very much would like to try and see if we can make that reality.”

For Tabata personally, he’d potentially like to see the stories of Ardyn and Luna fleshed out with new content, something he's also hinted at in the past.

“I think certainly considering them as incredibly key characters to the story and as personalities, characters who stick up for themselves, that’s something I’d really like to show. That also fits in very well with the results of the survey that we took where that’s what most people want to see too,” he said.

On his team's next game:
“At the end of the year, I think we do have to have a drawing of the line and moving on to do the next project as well,” he said. “Obviously we’re doing a lot of different things within the XV development team at the moment. But every single thing that we’re doing then really is something that we have to do to get the experience to move on to do our next project. So I think we will clearly be moving in that direction at the beginning of next year.”

Tabata wouldn’t say what that project might be yet, but did point to the team’s diverse work on Final Fantasy XV as fantastic preparation for whatever the next challenge is.

[...]

“I’m so happy that what we do to please the fans and give them what they want also comes back to aid us and make our next project all that much better. So it really does all synergize perfectly.”
---

DISCLAIMER:
For those who don't know, Tabata's team is not and will not be working on FFXVI. They're already working on a new IP, nothing FF-related. In the last two years Tabata has stated several times that he wants to do something that's not FF next.

And they're using the Luminous engine again for this new project as stated in this recent interview (remember folks here who were 100% sure that Luminous was a dumpster fire that would never ever be used again? 🐸☕):
---

Update:
Confirmation that it's not the sequel to Type-0 or based on the concept trailer they showed from Type-NEXT either for those who are still wondering about that:
Prior to Final Fantasy XV, Tabata was the director on Final Fantasy Type-o. After beating the game, fans were shown a teaser trailer for a possible sequel, called only “Type-1,” or “Type-Next.” When asked if his next project would be related to “Type-1,” Tabata said no.

“Nothing from ‘Type-1.’ We don’t have any plan for it,” he said. “For me and a lot of the dev team, ‘Type-1’ is something that interests them and something that they eventually want to pursue, but the current part of where we’re at after doing all these things for Final Fantasy XV, we think, it’s most appropriate to build on that experience and build and do it even bigger and more expansive for the next project. So, at the time being, ‘Type-1’ doesn’t fit in line with that approach.”​

legacyzero

Banned
These dudes came in and saved this goddamn game. Give him FF16.

Oh, and keep Nomura the fuck away from it lol

I played 50h of this at launch then stopped and I was going to play it again after Ignis but now I don't know when this game will ever be content complete. 🤔

Bladenic

Hard pass. I want the next FF to have a semi-cohesive story. Or at least, I want it to show me events that happen instead of telling me about it.

So this negates both Tabata and Toriyama from the next one, hopefully.

Mediking

His next project... some kinda open world Comrades thing where fans vote for stuff which gets put in the game at some point?

I'm on the verge of dipping back into XV since I've missed seemingly all the DLC stuff, but I might just hold off a bit more until the Ignis episode comes out. On one hand I can appreciate Square have a good thing going with this game and XIV so naturally they'd like to add more to this with fans in mind, but honestly, after Ignis I think Tabata and the dev team have earned the right to take all their experience and try out a new game. FFXVI doesn't have to fall down the same development hell hole if someone with a clearly head leads it.

I'm on the verge of dipping back into XV since I've missed seemingly all the DLC stuff, but I might just hold off a bit more until the Ignis episode comes out. On one hand I can appreciate Square have a good thing going with this game and XIV so naturally they'd like to add more to this with fans in mind, but honestly, after Ignis I think Tabata and the dev team have earned the right to take all their experience and try out a new game. FFXVI doesn't have to fall down the same development hell hole if someone with a clearly head leads it.

Edit:

No thank you. Ito or Yoshi-P, cheers.

You think they'd drop XIV any time soon? Yoshi deserves to start up a mainline one too, but not so close to the current MMO, unless he's trying a single-player version in which case, yeah, I'm torn.

oh boy.....

in any case, give him type -1 with his old team, type-0 made for consoles and with ffxv levels of character interaction would be great.the combat was excellent in that game and would be especially great when made as a proper console game.

i dont have a solution to story problem though. i dont think anybody at square barring a certain janitor can do a great mainstream ff story.

Azuardo

You think they'd drop XIV any time soon? Yoshi deserves to start up a mainline one too, but not so close to the current MMO, unless he's trying a single-player version in which case, yeah, I'm torn.

Nope. Which is why I'm hoping it's Ito. Just mentioning Yoshi-P because he bloody deserves a shot at a solo mainline FF. FF16 for Ito, FF17 for Yoshi-P would suit me nicely.

Kyoufu

If by saving you mean putting together some half-assed, incomplete story set in a bland open world of empty roads and fields then yeah, I agree.

If by 'saved' you mean 'got out the door' then yeah, they did that. I don't want him near XVI though, I like my stories cohesive on the first playthrough.

And Nomura is a fine character designer for the most part.

Nope. Which is why I'm hoping it's Ito. Just mentioning Yoshi-P because he bloody deserves a shot at a solo mainline FF. FF16 for Ito, FF17 for Yoshi-P would suit me nicely.

I'd take that, and whilst I said that he deserves to start up a game proper, XIV will always be remembered as his game above anyone else.

Fou-Lu

I like FFXV, I like Tabata, I am glad they have continued to make the game better, but I don't want two mainline games in a row from his team. It's Ito's time to shine again!

Athreous

Tabata did a great job, doing the impossible to release a game that was a hell of a nightmare to develop...

I`m game for anything that he does to increase the game`s quality and improve the story of it, and Ardyn and Luna story/gameplay dlc is a great idea!

But I really want XVI to go back to the medieval era, like IX, but with actually good gameplay... IX had a very simple battle system which I didn`t enjoy that much...

Wamb0wneD

They definetly need to get their shit together with XVI. I'm still torn on VX, and the troubled development shows almost everywhere. I wish they would go back to Ivalice or something like FF IX when it comes to the setting. And don't try the open world stuff again and focus on a well written, cohesive story instead.

Imagine what it must be like to enjoy something you don't.

Imagine what it must be like to express one's opinion, even if it's negative.

How many more gigs do they want to take up on my PS4 hard drive?

How much is it by now?

ZangBa

Let him work on a new IP but keep him far away from FF. I don't even know what to do with FF anynore. Fuck it, give Yoko Taro a shot. And make a new Chrono game already, you damn hackfrauds.

Azuardo

I'd take that, and whilst I said that he deserves to start up a game proper, XIV will always be remembered as his game above anyone else.

For sure. FF14's story has really come into its own with the last couple of expansions - Stormblood in particular. Generally high level voice acting and writing all around.

legacyzero

Banned
Hard to argue with those calling for Ito, though.

is this a joke? by saved you mean shove it to a playable state without a story or anything then yeah.

Gross. I'll take Ito instead.

Yoshida isn't sliding off his role in XIV until after 5.0 so I'd say he'll do a single player game later.

If by saving you mean putting together some half-assed, incomplete story set in a bland open world of empty roads and fields then yeah, I agree.

If by 'saved' you mean 'got out the door' then yeah, they did that. I don't want him near XVI though, I like my stories cohesive on the first playthrough.

And Nomura is a fine character designer for the most part.

Ok then- 'SALVAGED'. How bout that?

h5790.gif

This mess of a game was in prod for TEN YEARS. TEN. And was a goddamn mess. Yes. They salvaged the shit out of it.

I didn't LOVE XV. I liked it. My complaints of it dont eclipse what I liked about it though.

Tabata did a great job, doing the impossible to release a game that was a hell of a nightmare to develop...

I`m game for anything that he does to increase the game`s quality and improve the story of it, and Ardyn and Luna story/gameplay dlc is a great idea!

But I really want XVI to go back to the medieval era, like IX, but with actually good gameplay... IX had a very simple battle system which I didn`t enjoy that much...

D'you think Ito would take it back there? Medieval isn't a hard sell, but the art style akin to IX is a bit more polarising. Not saying I wouldn't be hyped for it.

Jeels

Lol at fleshing out key characters (the main villian and female protagonist) over a year after the game is out. They should have had fleshed out stories from the beginning.

Keep this guy far far away from XVI. Let him have his "Type" series so I know to stay away.

Let him work on a new IP but keep him far away from FF. I don't even know what to do with FF anynore. Fuck it, give Yoko Taro a shot. And make a new Chrono game already, you damn hackfrauds.

Taro'd probably turn it down, now that Automata's a success. Why go to a series where he's just a director for one game, when he can continue going as bat-shit genius/insane as he wants with his own.

Astral Dog

I hated XII. I get why people enjoy it though.
FFXII/Ivalice was the one that deserved to become its own side series imo, ala Crystal Chronicles, with the distinctive look, critic reception and gameplay systems, was a better fit than the XIII Sequels (even if they were somewhat enjoyable, too much Lightning for the whole generation)

edit: i see they been too busy on FFXIV.a new one would be swell

They definetly need to get their shit together with XVI. I'm still torn on VX, and the troubled development shows almost everywhere. I wish they would go back to Ivalice or something like FF IX when it comes to the setting. And don't try the open world stuff again and focus on a well written, cohesive story instead.

Imagine what it must be like to express one's opinion, even if it's negative.

How much is it by now?

Sure. But no need to be a condescending prick about it.

FFXV-2 - Magical Boyband

I'm into it. Take the assets and stuff from XV, weave a more coherent narrative, I'll pony up $60.

I read the FFXII dev team is still at Square Enix, a new game from those guys ... 😏

Playing the XII remaster now it feels so restrictive and in some ways hasn't aged well. But that set of core mechanics and environment in a genuine open-world game? Fuuuuuuuuuck.

Ydelnae

People thinking that they are going to jump onto the development of an AA Ardyn game should read this interview. Expect two more DLC pieces at best while any further story expansion will be happening in novels, anime and stuff.

I have the feeling that the new IP will evoke similar concepts and gameplay elements to Metal Gear Solid V. It certainly won't be an traditional JRPG.

Damn, I was hoping they'd keep Tabata with XV for years, making update after pointless update, so that he couldn't touch and ruin any other Square Enix project. But alas, all good things must come to an end.

TissueBox

Everybody disagreeing with them saving the game acts as though they actually would've gotten a great FFXV game under Nomura... really, it was already in a troubled state before Tabata stepped in and helped the team get it out of development limbo. Maybe he didn't make FFXV the pefect FF it could've been, but I'm pretty sure it came out way better than it would've had they just kept it running without a leash (with who knows how many more delays).

Kikujiro

I hope Tabata won'd do FFXVI, not because I dislike him, but I want a different director (just don't be Toriyama). Tabata's team should work on expanding FFXV and start working on a new IP.

Top Bottom