• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN first: The weapons of Bloodborne

All of the IGN footage is horrible and artifactey.For a huge site you'd guess their video solution would retain a bit more detail . Looks awesome though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
All of the IGN footage is horrible and artifactey.For a huge site you'd guess their video solution would retain a bit more detail . Looks awesome though.

I always think that and then remember that by virtue of being a bigger site they have bazillions of views and maybe they can't afford the bandwidth required for high quality given the volume of traffic...

I have no idea how number of users scales with revenue and what bandwidth costs, though, so this might be a cockeyed theory.

:00 IGN First logo forever!
:07 Slow zoom in on hunter holding axe and shotty
:10 Hunter pulls a longsword out of a hammer
:13 Hunter transforms (?) into a long rapier-like sword while some dog barks at him
:15 Hunter transforms cleaver into sawblade while walking
:17 Hunters transforms a metallic whip into a sword ribbed for her pleasure
:20 Some scrub gets shot, hunter slides across the earth
:22 Hunter fires gun at nothing
:23 More scrubs get shot
:24 Dog gets shot call PETA
:26 THEN HUNTER USES THE GUN IN HIS OTHER HAND TO SHOOT ANOTHER DOG BECAUSE WE DUAL WIELD GUNS NOW
:27 Shooting intensifies
:32 IGN remembers there are other weapons and uses the rapier-like sword on a golden retriever
:34 A sword with a gun in its base or something is fired at a guy
:40 IGN attempts to kill anyone with epilepsy for the first time
:42 Cleaver into sawblade again WOW!!!!!!!!
:44 Hunter puts an anorexic albino gibdo out of its misery
:47 Sawblade vs. an ogre...you better cut something else in quick man I'm falling asleep...
:48 Okay nm the hunter just got fucking flattened that shit was great
:49 Quick cuts between two hunters pissing off various enemies with cleaver
:57 Hunter uses cleaver transforming strikes (so the attack hits while it is in transition to sawblade) on a dude
1:00 Subliminal messaging
1:01 Hammer hunter flails ineffectively at large ogre cosplayin the Grim Reaper
1:14 Slow walk then randomly spazz out to transform weapon
1:15 It's longaxe/fataxe time - halberds suck and only losers use them fyi git gud
1:25 Return of whipsword/whipcane/whipsomething - the swaglord weapon that will probably have horrible stats or .5 durability points
1:34 NEW ENEMY SPOILER:
rat
1:45 Weapon montage time
2:05 IGN FIRSSSSTTTTTTTTT
2:12 Up next! Dying Light PC patch resurrects modding! Sounds really interesti*close tab*

god damn

Cess007

Dat music. DAT FUCKING MUSIC IS AWESOME!!

Also, i've been over that hammer/sword combo since the first time i saw it :3

pszet0

Banned
bloodborne-art-jpg.jpg

Shame they didn't show that great sword with the bandages wrapped around it.

Elixist

:13 Hunter transforms (?) into a long rapier-like sword while some dog barks at him
:26 THEN HUNTER USES THE GUN IN HIS OTHER HAND TO SHOOT ANOTHER DOG BECAUSE WE DUAL WIELD GUNS NOW
:32 IGN remembers there are other weapons and uses the rapier-like sword on a golden retriever
:47 Sawblade vs. an ogre...you better cut something else in quick man I'm falling asleep...
:57 Hunter uses cleaver transforming strikes (so the attack hits while it is in transition to sawblade) on a dude
1:15 It's longaxe/fataxe time - halberds suck and only losers use them fyi git gud
1:25 Return of whipsword/whipcane/whipsomething - the swaglord weapon that will probably have horrible stats or .5 durability points
rat
2:12 Up next! Dying Light PC patch resurrects modding! Sounds really interesti*close tab*

needs to be in the op. on point info

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
rat
I can confirm

This is LEGIT!!!

I've only been able to watch the footage 4 times. But now I'm free for the rest of the day :D! Time to fucking spam my mind with weapons, all night long... Iebeheolqnqloork

Speevy

Banned
There's nothing in that video that compares with the ingenuity of the Souls series.

I'm sorry. I don't love the guns, and the bladed weapons are lacking.

hiryu

Oh man, that gunblade, rapier/whip, and hammer/long sword. Aagh I really can't wait for this. I just scheduled vacation for when it comes out.

SeanTSC

As soon as I saw the chain-whip-sword I fell in love all over again. Bloodborne is like the best relationship ever. It just makes you fall in love over and over and over and over.

Speevy

Banned
Don't be dismissive.

The speed of the enemies is slow compared to how fast the slashing animations are.

The guns just make it ridiculously OP.

It's starting to look more and more like a combo action game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Don't be dismissive.

The speed of the enemies is slow compared to how fast the slashing animations are.

These are bottom-tier enemies.

The guns stun but do minimal damage.

Did you play the alpha? Because it was very obviously just a slightly faster Souls game with more emphasis on evasion. The weapon combos were slightly more complex than previous Souls games, but Devil May Cry it ain't.

Speevy

Banned
what does this have to do with Soul ingenuity?

Souls' weapons were tailored to specific situations. Striking, slashing, elemental. This looks like a whole bunch of stuff that looks cool but doesn't really change how you play.

Except they don't.

They do though. They're fast, which is the opposite of what casting spells was when you first got them.

Except it doesn't.

Well, it certainly doesn't look methodical.

Don't be dismissive.

I found the alpha to play like a barely-faster-than-Souls game... extremely far from a character action game. It might as well be called Blood Souls. Also, if anything, guns are underpowered. But I guess that's the point... they're for defense rather than offense.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Souls' weapons were tailored to specific situations. Striking, slashing, elemental. This looks like a whole bunch of stuff that looks cool but doesn't really change how you play.

They do though. They're fast, which is the opposite of what casting spells was when you first got them.

These weapons all have different speeds and ranges, just like Souls weapons.

Guns aren't spells, they are crowd control.

The game is still methodical. If you run up to several enemies at once, you will get fucked up, and quickly.

Souls is not the first game to do weapon type damage- hardly ingenuity. Also what has that got to do with faster attack animations?

No they aren't. They are incredibly weak and only serves as crowd control and counters, plus they have limited ammo.

Doesn't make it a 'combo action game'. Plus you're still limited by stamina.

WGMBY

The crossguard is different.

I was under the impression the crossguard on the smaller sword sank entirely into the ending of the greatsword, mainly because the base of the greatsword blade is wider than the crossguard in that picture. We don't know if it's to scale though.

This video showcased 4 weapons out of who knows how many that will be in the game, each of which has two forms with different movesets, different damage types, and/or different situations in which they'll be useful. I'm not sure what you're expecting, but you concern seems greatly unfounded.

Servbot24

Banned
It looks really bad when everyone in the thread gangs up on anyone who dares to express anything even a little negative about the game.

Some people seem to think the long sword is connected to the great sword. There are two weapons shown here, Kirkhammer (hammer version and short sword version) and Church Great Sword (bandaged version and "naked" version).

I'm guessing you "transform" the great sword by wrapping it in a special cloth that adds a new damage type to it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It looks really bad when everyone in the thread gangs up on anyone who dares to express anything even a little negative about the game.

If you're talking about Speevy, his criticisms simply aren't based in reality. Like, the things he's saying do not seem to be true based on the footage we are all discussing. He's making bizarre leaps. Some of us have even played the game for several hours.

That's why I'm arguing with him, anyway. I don't care if someone doesn't like the jaggies or worries about the framerate or whatever.

Furthermore, when someone says something off-base, they're going to get multiple replies arguing against them. How do you distinguish that from "ganging up"? Or are you saying that only one or two posters should address any other poster at a given time?

Imru’ al-Qays;152489288 said:
No, it looks really bad when the only negative things you can think of to say about a game are literally dumb as fuck.

I was trying to be polite, but also this.

I have no idea why you think there won't be damage types in this game. We know for a fact that there are five elements (physical, blood, arcane, fire, lightning) in Bloodborne. And the usual spread of slashing, piercing, and striking weapons seems intact, considering we see a bunch of swords, a rapier, and a greathammer.

SugarDave

I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4, I don't need a PS4...

Top Bottom