• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN goes hands on with final version of Rockstar's Table Tennis (Wii)

http://wii.ign.com/articles/822/822738p1.html

We now have the final version in-office, and after putting in a ton of volley time we've come to find that, while not perfect, Rockstar's latest - or should we say "first" now that Manhunt has been delayed - Wii effort is still a ton of fun to play.

And since the game doesn't have to worry about spin as well it's all the more accurate, allowing you to hit right and put left spin at the same time - a motion that isn't exactly easy to do for an amateur ping pong player - and we were surprised to see how fast we picked up the controls, and how lethal we were using them. I personally am a huge fan of the 360 game, and the Wii controls are more entertaining and immersive than the buttons were on 360. It's just fun to put the ball where you want. As a final note on control, there's also the "Control Freak" mode, which is exactly like the standard Wii-mote only control, adding the nunchuk specifically for character movement - something that's handled on the fly in the other two modes of play.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/950/950891/vids_1.html

rockstar-games-presents-table-tennis-20070924055414268.jpg

rockstar-games-presents-table-tennis-20070924055413377.jpg

Haunted

IGN said:
I personally am a huge fan of the 360 game, and the Wii controls are more entertaining and immersive than the buttons were on 360. It's just fun to put the ball where you want. As a final note on control, there's also the "Control Freak" mode, which is exactly like the standard Wii-mote only control, adding the nunchuk specifically for character movement - something that's handled on the fly in the other two modes of play.
That actually sounds promising.

On the other hand, it's IGN.

dfi

super funk said:
When a preview, IGN of all places, says something like this, that means the game should be avoided at all costs.

Why do you say that?

IGN wii has been pretty accurate for the most part imo. Most of the time I agree with their reviews. When something is bad, they say its bad, when something is good they say its good.

I don't get the hate for wii ign at all.

ksamedi

Haunted One said:

I think they have been the most accurate at Wii reviews. Bozon was talking about how he was a big fan and I kind of trust him on this one, if its good I'm buying. My crew is getting bored of Wiisports Tennis.

Why are people bagging out IGN? Of all sites, why them? Their Wii reviews have been pretty much spot on and asily the most accurate of the main sites.

Mudhoney

super funk said:
When a preview, IGN of all places, says something like this, that means the game should be avoided at all costs.
That's pretty accurate. They seem to be a lot more positive in their previews than they are around review time.

Black_Ice said:
Ew, looks like a Wii game.
I know, lol!!

dfi

Black_Ice said:
Ew, looks like a Wii game.

Obviously its not going to look as good as the 360, but on its own, I think the game holds up.

Even if you compare the wii videos to the 360 version, the wii version compares pretty favorably.

Of course the close ups aren't going to look as good as the 360 version with all the sweat and lighting effects, but the in game videos match up well with the 360 version.

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/815/815145/vids_1.html

gabe90

Haunted One said:

super funk said:

Sometimes I wish GAF were Digg.com so I could bury comments.

Talk about the games. Not how cool you wish you could be by wrongfully badmouthing journalists.

IzumiK

Banned
Previews are always overrated to push people to buy it. Gaming news runs on the gaming industry. They are there to promote the game.

A good example is Gamespot's preview of Hour of Victory calling it the most promising first person shooter or something. It was even in their ads.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
THis game would be even funner with the balance board.

dfi

IzumiK said:
Previews are always overrated to push people to buy it. Gaming news runs on the gaming industry. They are there to promote the game.

A good example is Gamespot's preview of Hour of Victory calling it the most promising first person shooter or something. It was even in their ads.

I'm expecting a 7.6 from bozon when he officially reviews it.

DoubleTap

Definite purchase for me. If only to play with other people in my family. The Wii play table tennis just doesn't cut it.

Lobster

Banned
dfi said:
Obviously its not going to look as good as the 360, but on its own, I think the game holds up.

Even if you compare the wii videos to the 360 version, the wii version compares pretty favorably.

Of course the close ups aren't going to look as good as the 360 version with all the sweat and lighting effects, but the in game videos match up well with the 360 version.

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/815/815145/vids_1.html

WTF! People were bitching about the Wii having a dark background but the 360 has the same thing!

StevieP

Banned
Francois the Great said:
meh, i would buy it but the graphics aren't 360-level so i won't

Why... why??
The players aren't coated in "sweat" (aka plastic) and have less polys. Big whoop. The biggest thing here is the controls.

Table Tennis on 360 stops being impressive graphically the second you start playing the game rather than looking at close ups of character models. I really liked the game but it's hardly something graphics matter in.

CANLI

Gahiggidy said:
THis game would be even funner with the balance board.

:lol :lol

No Online, no buy EA...
You can do it easily, you have the money to do it but you doesn't do it..

nightside

Alkaliine said:
Why are people bagging out IGN? Of all sites, why them? Their Wii reviews have been pretty much spot on and asily the most accurate of the main sites.

absolutely true (expecially for SSX blur).

but usually their preview are a bit too optimistic...

btw, the lack of online is really a shame...too bad, this game could have been an online hit for wii IMO. well..maybe table tennis 2009...

koam

75% of the people who have posted here are retarded.

First of all, the graphics looks GREAT for a wii game.
Second, they said it's more fun with the wii controls.
Third, it's budget priced.

I'd pick it up if i gave a flying fuck about ping pong. It's a pretty good effort for a 3rd party.

P.S Take Two still has another Wii game to announce, i have no idea what it is but it's a 2008 title. Someone here must know and is laughing at us.

koam said:
P.S Take Two still has another Wii game to announce, i have no idea what it is but it's a 2008 title. Someone here must know and is laughing at us.

Here are the TTWO Wii titles that I know about:

On store shelves:
1) The Bigs (pretty good)
2) Fantastic Four (ugh)
3) Carnival Games (Currently the #1 Wii product on Amazon . .. outselling the Wii itself!)

Coming before Xmas:
4) Rockstar presents Tennis
5) Power-Pro Baseball (made by Konami)
6) Manhunt 2 (I'll be picking that one up just for the over-the-top laughs.)

Announced:
7) Bully: Scholarship Edition
8) Top Spin (But not named Top Spin 3, so it will be gimped down I guess.)
9) Civilization

Top Bottom