• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN India: similarly to March, Xbox Series S was India’s best-selling console in April 2021. PS4 comes 2nd this month

Status
Not open for further replies.
still-image-xbox-series-s-5-horizontal-view-console-controll_332464_sc49.2560.jpg

Microsoft’s more affordable current generation Xbox, the Xbox Series S was India’s best-selling console in April 2021. And while supply chains were impacted for most of the month due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, multiple retailers tell IGN India that the Xbox Series S was routinely available with frequent restocks. While March 2021 saw the Xbox Series X as the number two most popular console, this wasn’t the case in April with Sony picking up the slack thanks to PS4s finally being made available.
”We weren’t expecting customers to choose the Series S over the PS4 when both are in stock,” claims one store executive on the condition of anonymity. “A lot of them are just doing it for Xbox Game Pass, in fact the number one request is to help them set up Game Pass for GTA V.”

Most stores chalk up this behaviour down to greater awareness. With the PS4 being over seven years old at this point and the Xbox Series S being available for roughly six months, customers are interested in something newer, retailers tell us. And they’re willing to pay the premium.

NickFire

Odd that they would send so many to India when they can't supply enough for their home turf.
I'm pretty confident they have a strategy for where to send supply. And If they see India as an emerging market, it's probably a calculated / reasonable risk that brand loyalty will keep people waiting longer at home, while word of mouth could help them grown elsewhere.

Md Ray

This is quite surprising. PlayStation was the dominating console in my country.

What the heck are you doing Sony?

In all seriousness, props to Microsoft for stepping up their game, just a few years ago very few people here knew what Xbox was.

Last edited:
Can we just ban all sales threads until production is normal again? We can already predict how the thread is going to go, lol.

(Surprised Switch isn't #1, lol)

Nintendo isn't officially available.

India could be a great emerging market for new customers for all platforms, smart move to try and grab some on Microsoft’s part with the affordable Series S.

Gamepass will go a long way in making consoles acceptable in India. People aren't used to paying high prices for games after they just paid significant chunk for console.

Most popular games are pubg/cod but people mostly play on mobiles/pcs as those are multi tasking devices and easy to justify to families.

BlackTron

This is the first time in my life I have ever seen anyone brag about selling the most of anything in India.

Must be some of that next-gen novelty. The rules change again...AGAIN.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
What do you want to know?

Consoles sell about 0.5-1 million per generation.

In comparison a game like Call of Duty mobile can get 20 million + player base.
That's pretty tiny lol

I think the story for places like India is markets like this are multiplying in a few years. If they keep up the growth rate they'll be key markets in a decade.

Big IF, but makes sense MS isn't lacking in Series S shipments there.

elliot5

Good for the S. I think S and Game Pass, like others have mentioned, will be big in these developing markets. Games aren't cheap so many have relied on second hand physical copies or piracy, but game pass reduces that barrier for cheap regional pricing. Much more convenient.

I also think xCloud will be huge for the mobile centric markets like India and Japan if they can market it correctly.

Dabaus

Banned
Are we really pretending that the ps5 wasnt completely sold out? Its not like there ps5s sitting on the shelves and they picked the series s over them.

This is the first time in my life I have ever seen anyone brag about selling the most of anything in India.

Must be some of that next-gen novelty. The rules change again...AGAIN.

My company highlights sales in emerging markets like China, India, Brazil, and Russia in earnings releases. There are a lot of opportunity in these countries.

That's pretty tiny lol

I think the story for places like India is markets like this are multiplying in a few years. If they keep up the growth rate they'll be key markets in a decade.

Big IF, but makes sense MS isn't lacking in Series S shipments there.

Yes it's tiny.

But keep in mind most popular games are simply mobile ports of console games.

Pubg, cod, gta etc are cultural phenomenon.

Consoles are a bit of aspirational item for young folks who start gaming on mobiles.

It's different from, say Japan where consoles are in decline

Woopah

What do you want to know?

Consoles sell about 0.5-1 million per generation.

In comparison a game like Call of Duty mobile can get 20 million + player base.
In a ideal world we'd get weekly hardware and software sales like Japan, but that's quite unlikely. Even the weekly charts we get from somewhere like Spain or the UK would be good to get.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yes it's tiny.

But keep in mind most popular games are simply mobile ports of console games.

Pubg, cod, gta etc are cultural phenomenon.

Consoles are a bit of aspirational item for young folks who start gaming on mobiles.

It's different from, say Japan where consoles are in decline
And MS is trying to break into that with streaming really.

An uphill battle since games play just fine on cell phones that people want to play on cell phones..

sircaw

Banned
India's economy is roughly the size of the UK... which regularly has sales threads that nobody complains about.

I do agree they all are rather pointless; but be an equal opportunity complainer bro-fish.
at the end of the day, when i read stuff like this.

That said, many aren’t expecting Microsoft’s lead to extend into May and beyond. Reason being, this May and June sees PS5 restocks.

And it's from Ign, it reads just like that windows central crap i read a week ago, fluff piece.

And just so you know, i am actually interested in buying myself a series s, hopefully, later this year, when Grim dawn comes out on it.( which outside of diablo2 is my favorite game of all time) Saying that i might wait for xmas and hopefully a price drop for the s, i think its a little bit to high atm for what they are asking

And as to grim dawn, According to the there forums and i quote,

We’ve got a few things that certification has flagged for us to fix before the build can be uploaded. Nothing too big, but work to do nonetheless, and then we’ll send it through again and hopefully that’ll do it.

that was like a week ago,so we are hopefully getting closer and closer to the game

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
“A lot of them are just doing it for Xbox Game Pass, in fact the number one request is to help them set up Game Pass for GTA V.”

But why?

Mattyp

Gold Member
Are we really pretending that the ps5 wasnt completely sold out? Its not like there ps5s sitting on the shelves and they picked the series s over them.

It comes to money in India, there’s a reason the PS4 outsold even the One X there. Because piracy is so fucking easy on it while you can’t crack the Xbox.

Ive been to India mobile gaming is king, but all the shops cater to piracy where copied games are like 0.10US for 360 or $1 for PS4.

Gamepass allows them to have current generation for very cheap, and since mobile gaming is king I would be surprised to see a tone of people using it for mobile over there. There’s a very large middle class emerging in India as we speak alike China a decade ago, at the moment price rules all and buying a PS5 or X is still out of grasp with $70 games. A S and gamepass isn’t but.

Daregroup

Neo Member
Can we just ban all sales threads until production is normal again? We can already predict how the thread is going to go, lol.

(Surprised Switch isn't #1, lol)
Nintendo has zero presence in India lol, no retailers or official eShop heck it doesn't even accept our payment methods. I had to circumvent this using a friend's card from US. I love my switch but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom