• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Insider Head to Head: Resident Evil 4 PS2 Vs GC

The feature is 6 pages long, I'm just quoting a bit from a couple of paragraphs and the bullets.

http://insider.ign.com/articles/662/662302p1.html

Features

GameCube Advantages

* None

PlayStation 2 Advantages

* Ada's "Seperate Ways" mission
* Alternate costumes for Leon & Ashley
* Plaga-removal Laser

Control

GameCube Advantages

* Quicker / more responsive movement & aiming

PlayStation 2 Advantages

* Alternate controller layout (optional)

Graphics

GameCube Advantages

* Stronger framerate-- Only during boss battles and areas within the frozen lab.
* Higher resolution for environmental textures
* Stronger lighting effects

GameCube Disadvantages

* No true widescreen--Letterboxed

PlayStation 2 Advantages

* True 16:9 Widescreen-- though not much is added to what you see on screen

PlayStation 2 Disadvantages

* Less detail in textures-- On environments and characters
* Minor Aliasing
* Framerate--Minor slowdown during boss battles and tight-spaces
* Weaker visual atmosphere--less contrast between light and dark
* Less polygons
* Subdued or completely missing particle effects

resident-evil-4-head-to-head-20051027083232768.jpg

resident-evil-4-head-to-head-20051027083233971.jpg

resident-evil-4-head-to-head-20051027083234393.jpg

There are two side-by-side videos on the page available for download.

Sound

GameCube Advantages

* Dolby Pro Logic II

GameCube Disadvantages

* None

PlayStation 2 Advantages

* Dolby Pro Logic II

* Compressed Sound Effects

The SFX library is significantly compressed on the PS2 installment, making everything from dynamite explosions to cutting-open boxes sound squashed, and that overall loss of dynamics weakens the oh-so important level of suck-you-in immersion that separates RE4 from so many other games. Certain pre-recorded effects sound bland and lack the range of frequencies decibal range of the identical sounds on the GCN. A prime example is the shattering of porcelain vases in the second and third chapters of the main story. The high end frequencies you're supposed to be hearing when the shards break apart are missing, and it leaves this muddy artificial sound in its place. Whether or not this is a porting issue I can't say, but if I had to guess; the drop in overall sound quality on PS2 was likely due to the memory constraints of the PS2 hardware.

Presentation

GameCube Advantages

* Faster loading between areas

GameCube Disadvantages

* None

PlayStation 2 Advantages

* None

* Pre-rendered cutscenes
* Longer load times-- 4-7 sec. between areas
* Less immersive atmosphere-- Due to graphical shortcommings

By being pre-rendered, all the cutscenes on PS2 that you'll see during the central story adventure will feature Leon and Ashley in their original costumes, despite if you've chosen one of the two unlockable alternate outfits. True widescreen format was installed in the PS2 copy but doesn't provide a much wider view of the action than the letterboxed faux-widescreen GCN setup which adds the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen even if you played on a widescreen TV. If you prefer to play games in 4:3 (full screen) than the 16:9 PS2 setting can be turned off, unlike the unchangeable letterbox viewing format on the GCN.

Final Verdict

Summing Up: If you desire greater level of options, and a more versatile experience with successive playthroughs; go with the PS2 version for all it's bonus features.

If you prefer greater level of graphical detail, more dynamic sound, and a more intense and immersive atmosphere; pick up the original GameCube version.

I didn't know you could play the PS2 version in 4:3 without black bars, how is that going to work?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I thought the PS2 version has 16:9 and Pro-Scan (seems like it wasn't used)? I'm not sure if I can get over the graphical downgrade....I may get it for the Gamecube.

BlueTsunami said:
I thought the PS2 version has 16:9 and Pro-Scan (seems like it wasn't used)? I'm not sure if I can get over the graphical downgrade....I may get it for the Gamecube.

The PS2 version does have true 16:9 and progressive scan (note that the GC version has progressive scan too, and IGN says the true widescreen doesn't really add much to the PS2 version), but IGN says you have the option of playing the game in FULL 4:3 without black bars on PS2, can anyone else confirm that?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Naked Snake said:
The PS2 version does have true 16:9 and progressive scan, but IGN says you can have the option of playing the game in FULL 4:3 without black bars.

Gah...why didn't IGN do that then? When comparing images like that you should get them as close as possible. That was a dumb move on IGNs part. I'm still undecided, as long as the mood of the game itself is portrayed on the PS2 version as it was on the GC then I may get the PS2 version because of the added content.

As it seems to be the GC owners should keep the GC version (slightly-->better control, better atmosphere, better graphics, better sound, faster loading times, realtime cutscenes).

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
GCs RE4 seems to just edge out on the PS2 RE4, but I doubt that the differences between the games will actually take anything away from the experience of playing and enjoying the game.

MrDaravon

Both great games, but the graphical problems are noticable in the PS2 version, and the sound just sucks. If you've only got one system you'll be happy either way, if you've got both pick up the GC version for the cheap and rent the PS2 version if you want to play Seperate Ways. I picked up the PS2 version mainly for the new stuff, but I hear SW is beatable in like 3 hours, not the supposed "8-10 hours" it was supposed to be, so I'm starting to regret my purchase.

Gc-Freak

Banned
Good work from capcom. The PS2 version is really cool and I think it looks the same on the Cube but the PS2 version has more extras.

GrandPipe

BlueTsunami said:
wtf? you have a gamecube and don't already own it?!?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I seriously cant believe that I have yet to actually buy either one of the copies. RE4 is the most highly rated game this gen along with MGS3. Its a crime to not to own them. I need to get my ass off this chair and buy the game as soon as possible. I need something to do on Halloween anyway :D

123rl

PS2 version sounds a bit disappointing tbh. Compressed audio? I expected better audio because of the bigger disc space :( Oh well I'll keep my PS2 Limited Edition on order and maybe sell it later

True widescreen format was installed in the PS2 copy but doesn't provide a much wider view of the action than the letterboxed faux-widescreen GCN setup which adds the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen even if you played on a widescreen TV. If you prefer to play games in 4:3 (full screen) than the 16:9 PS2 setting can be turned off, unlike the unchangeable letterbox viewing format on the GCN.

Fucking hell...who writes this rubbish? :lol

Anamorphic DOES NOT give you a wider view...it gives the same view ratio but at a higher resolution! Do some bloody research, you idiots. The GC version was widescreen, but non-anamorphic. It wasn't cropped which is what most people assumed

fresquito

I can´t really understand people having a Cube an getting the PS2 game. I mean, it´s like having the Xbox and waiting a whole year to get say... wems... splinter cell. It´s a port to a inferior system, You should knw it´s gonna be a worse than the original.

However, if someone has any of these consoles, or both and still doesn´t have this game, I don´t know what he´s waiting for!

Isn't this copyrighted material available only to subscribers to IGN's online service? I always thought stuff on insider.ign.com was supposed to be accessible only to paying customers of ign. Am I wrong?

johnjohnson said:
Isn't this copyrighted material available only to subscribers to IGN's online service? I always thought stuff on insider.ign.com was supposed to be accessible only to paying customers of ign. Am I wrong?

Yes that is true, but I believe it's okay to post portions of copyrighted material but not the entire thing, which is what I did... This same formula has been followed with all IGN head-to-head threads in the past... Mods can edit the first post if policies have changed or something.

bigNman

I watched the castle head to head video. One of my favourite floor textures from the GCN version had a definite downgrade in the ps2 version. Its the area with the door that you have to blow up using the catapult. I noticed a few other textures missing from the ps2 version as well but it still looks great.

You just reminded me how much time I spent admiring the texture work in the castle in the GC version, it used to piss off and puzzle people watching me play

Juice

After 20 hours of gameplay, I was so done with RE4--satiated, as one is after a delicious meal--that the extra features and replay value mean jack shit to me. I'm not touching it again for four years, no matter what system it is.

Give me the more immersive play-through, please. Glad I just got the GCN version day 1 and played it then.

This is just a longshot, but does anyone think the GC version will benefit in sales when the PS2 version is released? Think of all the advertising that Capcom will do for the upcoming PS2 version - if they have any sense the adverts will say "Also available on GC."

I'm not saying RE4 on GC will have a huge spike in sales, but we could see a small rise in the NPDs, I expect.

fresquito

Gaz Ultra! said:
This is just a longshot, but does anyone think the GC version will benefit in sales when the PS2 version is released? Think of all the advertising that Capcom will do for the upcoming PS2 version - if they have any sense the adverts will say "Also available on GC."

I'm not saying RE4 on GC will have a huge spike in sales, but we could see a small rise in the NPDs, I expect.
Probably. And maybe some PS2 owners will wake up from their fanatic dream and realise which one is the best version and go for it.

Gattsu25

Banned
nine words said:
And maybe some PS2 owners will wake up from their fanatic dream and realise which one is the best version and go for it.
Um...how would that help the GC version's sales?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Gaz Ultra! said:

all the ads ive seen only mention the ps2 version. which is quite foolish. imo.

Vgamer

Naked Snake said:
The PS2 version does have true 16:9 and progressive scan (note that the GC version has progressive scan too, and IGN says the true widescreen doesn't really add much to the PS2 version), but IGN says you have the option of playing the game in FULL 4:3 without black bars on PS2, can anyone else confirm that?

I picked up the PS2 version last night and I cant seem to find an option in the menus to make it 4:3 Full Screen am I missing it? Anyone else see one?

Vgamer said:
I picked up the PS2 version last night and I cant seem to find an option in the menus to make it 4:3 Full Screen am I missing it? Anyone else see one?

I guess it's just another fuckup on IGN's part (what's new?), I found it very odd in the first place when I read that because the widescreen was an integral part of the game's new camera prespective and I didn't see why would Capcom change that.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I've been debating whether to pick up a second copy. I'll probably wait for a discount. The extras seem cool, but this game is all about immersion and it sounds as though the PS2 loses some of that experience albeit slightly. It would probably bug me more having played through the first time on GC. Besides, Mercenaries mode is about all the "extra" you need, the game itself is incredibly varied and long for this genre.

Probably the best action/adventure game this gen. Story is fairly lame, set pieces are AMAZING.

123rl

Vgamer said:

They mean anamorphic or non-anamorphic (like the GC version) ie a widescreen image but with borders...not a widescreen or a fullscreen version. The game doesn't have a full screen mode and it shouldn't have one because it needs the widescreen ratio

Wario64 said:
indeed, their stupid!

Heh heh.

They also wrote this line, substituting "lose" with "loose", one of the most annoying internet misspellings IMO, right up there with "then" instead of "than".

IGN said:
Larger creatures like "El Gigante'" for example, loose some of their detail and users can see more jagged and smooth edges around what would have been curved, cracked skin on the GCN.

japtor

Naked Snake said:
maybe theyre just being idiots and saying you can fill a 4:3 tv because its anamorphic now, leaving out the fact that everything would be stretched out vertically. youd think a 4:3 mode would be a big deal and be known by now.

jett

D-Member
When the cut-scenes FMVs kick in in the PS2 port, you can tell that the downgrade has been pretty massive. The lighting was pretty much raped. Also, Ashley's PS2 model is freaking disgusting compared to the one in the GC cut-scenes.

Takuan

Leondexter said:
Heh heh.

They also wrote this line, substituting "lose" with "loose", one of the most annoying internet misspellings IMO, right up there with "then" instead of "than".
IGN said:
If you prefer to play games in 4:3 (full screen) than the 16:9 PS2 setting can be turned off, unlike the unchangeable letterbox viewing format on the GCN.
IGN's got you covered on the latter, too! Don't they have an editor to go through every article before it's posted online? If they do, that person should be fired.

Miburou

Man, some of these decisions are just puzzling. I can understand the downgrade in texture quality and the increase in aliasing, this is the PS2 after all, and the lower poly count and less pronounced lighting is also understandable, but why the FMV cut-scenes? And why the lower quality audio? Come to think of it, why was there no widescreen mode in the GC version?

jett

D-Member
Miburou said:
Man, some of these decisions are just puzzling. I can understand the downgrade in texture quality and the increase in aliasing, this is the PS2 after all, and the lower poly count and less pronounced lighting is also understandable, but why the FMV cut-scenes? And why the lower quality audio? Come to think of it, why was there no widescreen mode in the GC version?

If you play the PS2 version, you'll see why they chose to go with FMV cut-scenes. The character models in the port(Leon, Ashley, et al) were just downgraded so much that it forced Capcom to go down that route. It's a shame though, cause the QTE scenes are kinda ruined(there's a stutter everytime you make an action during a cut-scene, it's not seamless at all). The lighting is much worse too, when the game immediately changes from a cut-scene into real-time graphics it's *really* apparent. Don't get me wrong, the port still looks pretty badass on it's own, once you compareit to the original...not so much. I guess all we can do now is laugh at the nintendo fanboys that used cut-scene pics from the port to proclaim that the GC version's graphics were much better. :p

I'll never understand no true widescreeon mode on the GC rev, though. :p

cvxfreak

jett said:
I guess all we can do now is laugh at the nintendo fanboys that used cut-scene pics from the port to proclaim that the GC version's graphics were much better. :p

That's not all we can do. We can laugh at PS2 fanboys/GC trolls who used it to say the PS2 could match the GC in that aspect. :lol

jett

D-Member
CVXFREAK said:
That's not all we can do. We can laugh at PS2 fanboys/GC trolls who used it to say the PS2 could match the GC in that aspect. :lol

Well, the pics were passed off as being real time, so actually the PS2 fanboys/GC trolls were in the right(regarding cut-scene pics). The cubites have no excuse. :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damn, this forum is making me feel guilty about selling my GC copy to a friend.

cvxfreak

jett said:
Well, the pics were passed off as being real time, so actually the PS2 fanboys/GC trolls were in the right(regarding cut-scene pics). The cubites have no excuse. :p

Technically though, they're uncompressed on the GC. :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Got the notification, says it will take about 3 days to clear. Thanks!

BTW, I just watched the IGN comparison vids, and the most telling difference is in the castle when the catapult explodes that small gazebo. The GC creates a flurry of particles, fire, and stone pieces. The PS2 does this silly little fire effect that looks almost ripped out of Rogue Squadron. Just kinda awful looking.

Otherwise, there isn't too much to complain about. I'd agree with most everything in this thread regarding aiming precision, slight bits of slowdown, and nerfed lighting. All minor given how enjoyable this game still is.

Top Bottom