• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN is confused about DRM and needing to download a profile to play X1X games

Topher

Gold Member
Man it’s not like we’re slowing moving towards a you’ll own nothing and be happy future. There’s eve washer/dryer setups coming you can’t own, you just lease monthly but you’re still on the hook for detergent, energy and cleaning. It’s just so weird growing up people pushed back against shitty companies doing these type of things and now somehow you’re the crazy one for NOT wanting to give up control. This hail corporate attitude that’s creeped itself into the public concise is beyond weird to me and I don’t feel like pointing that out makes anyone crazy.

It was a joke.

retsof624

Your console isnt set as home console. I had the same issues, until I made the console home console.
I just tested this out. I unplugged the Ethernet cable from my Series X and was able to still open games. I plugged it back in, went into the settings and made it so my console wasn’t my home Xbox, unplugged the Ethernet and tried to open a game again. It wouldn’t let me play a game because I wasn’t signed in to Xbox Live.

kingfey

Banned
I just tested this out. I unplugged the Ethernet cable from my Series X and was able to still open games. I plugged it back in, went into the settings and made it so my console wasn’t my home Xbox, unplugged the Ethernet and tried to open a game again. It wouldn’t let me play a game because I wasn’t signed in to Xbox Live.
You need to set it home, while the internet is available. Once you do that, it will be easy.

Also, if you took out the home mode, the console won't let you play the games offline. Weird drm thing.

ManaByte

You need to set it home, while the internet is available. Once you do that, it will be easy.

Also, if you took out the home mode, the console won't let you play the games offline. Weird drm thing.

Works the same on the PlayStation, they just call it "Primary Console" instead of "Home Console".

GymWolf

Don't forget the superior cuisine.

321daa280c3d57fc75b0657bb02a674b.gif
From her disgusted expression i can already identify the sex and race of that caterpillar...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You really dont own anything. If your psn/epic/xbox/steam/nintendo account is banned, that is it. Everything is wasted. Your console can get banned, or bricked. You are only left with useless brick.

Discs have digital code, which verifies your ownership of the game. If the game gets removed from the system, you cant download day1 patches (cybperpunk2077). So disc are worthless too.
You don't even need a PSN account for updates, don't know where you got that shit from.

kingfey

Banned
You don't even need a PSN account for updates, don't know where you got that shit from.
you kinda need it to access the store. That is where the updates comes from. Your disc doesn't really have the full game. It has a code, which uses the store to download day1 patches.

Warablo

It’s native on PS5.
I was talking about 360/OG Xbox games. Xbox One games are of course native on the Series X. Which automatically upgrade them usually to the Series X version.

I don't think you can put a Ps3 game or older and have it work on the PS5. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

BigBooper

They should really let you set two home consoles. I have two XBOXes in the house and if the internet cuts out, I have to stop playing on one of them. That seems silly.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

"After the severe hostility received towards us and others by the fan community, which comes across as purely fragile in the face of an attempt to protect consumer rights and ensure Xbox’s incredible content legacy was preserved. We feel no option was left available to us"

I can't see any negative replies to them.

"FYI we don’t read notifications 😆"

What are they responding to?

BigBooper

"After the severe hostility received towards us and others by the fan community, which comes across as purely fragile in the face of an attempt to protect consumer rights and ensure Xbox’s incredible content legacy was preserved. We feel no option was left available to us"

The imaginary voices in their head?

ManaByte

Look Whos Talking Now Reaction GIF

sn0man

But as long as Xbox One can play them always offline and Series X can play Series X games always offline, I am less concerned than with PS5 (because of the clock issue).
What clock issue? Is that like the PS4 cbomb?
Xbox One games are of course native on the Series X. Which automatically upgrade them usually to the Series X version.
Which is it? My understanding is no Xbox one game is native on xsx. Your disc is just a code to download an xsx exe and some installer files. It’s a clever concept but isn’t really game backwards compatibility preservation. It’s like software forward licensing.
I don't think you can put a Ps3 game or older and have it work on the PS5.
Yeah if we are talking about older systems Sony is wrong and stupid for not installing an emulator for older PlayStation consoles.

We had this topic months ago. Xbox One games do not work on Series X before connecting to the internet at least once after installation, because they require an XSX profile that must be downloaded. Series X games can be played always offline off disc. This is not a drm measure.
It's still bad, the label does not matter.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
W
hat do you mean? I have a great physical collection complementing my digital one
Day one patches, the push to digital. It all started last gen. This gen they are just driving the nail home. We don’t own games anymore, and most physical disks are just keys at this point. Sure there are exceptions, but game ownership is dead and has been for awhile.

Topher

Gold Member

Their statement is a bit ironic as they come across as incredibly "fragile" themselves. I'm really not sure what response they thought they were going to get from all this. Hell.....they're on twitter!

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

The issue with the Series consoles is that it requires a one time online activation out of the box. Which does suck, and if your console has an issue and you have to activate it again and those servers are closed then the console is a brick.

The article is confused, Series games on disc work offline but they are few and far between. All the Series games that are cross gen have the Xbox One version on disc and you have to download the entire Series version. So once again requiring internet so if the servers are closed in the future your disc is a last gen version and nothing more. Over time as cross gen fades we will see more Series only discs but right now it’s fairly rough with only about 10 titles with dedicated Series discs.

Finally yes the backwards compatibility is totally reliant on being online for Xbox One games and below to download a config file or in the case of 360 games and original Xbox games an entire download of the game that is wrapped in their emulator.

Like many have said here it would be great if these config files could just be pre-loaded onto the console. The Xbox 360 did this for original Xbox games, meaning you didn’t have to be online or download anything when popping in one of those original Xbox discs.

There are a lot of weird hoops to jump through that require an online connection with Series consoles.

The biggest issue is the one time online activation when using it for the first time or activating it again. PS5, Switch etc don't require this.

However, in the end the CMOS battery issue that effects the PS3, PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5 disc and PS5 digital is even worse. Since for the Series consoles it’s a hypothetical scenario if MS shuts down servers. Meanwhile the battery dying in those Sony consoles is real and when it dies it won’t allow you to play any disc or digital games on PS4 consoles for example. Or any digital games on your PS5 digital and even some disc PS5 games with the disc edition. This is DRM, where your access to your games is connected to the internal clock and the license it is keeping track of. So if it can’t figure out the date it can’t figure out if you can play it. This is DRM.

That battery will eventually die and unlike the Wii and Wii U that have a nice accessible slot to replace it with, the Sony consoles require you to completely open up and take apart the console to replace it, which many people will not have the capacity to do.

CMOS is a way bigger issue than a hypothetical MS server shutdown. Also remember your Xbox account is not just that, it is your MS account if you want to use Office, Teams etc. So if they were to shut down servers that means they would shut down all their accounts and services entirely which is just unnecessary to worry about when CMOS is an actual issue.

Modern Vintage Gamer has yet to do a dedicated CMOS video. With him working for Limited Run Games (that only do Switch, PC and Playstation) it’s clear he doesn’t want to ruffle Sony’s feathers being in business deals with them. So he’s lost all credibility to me at this point.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What the fuck i can not believe this wow

oh wait i can i was stuck on a boat with 30 ish games i could not play

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What clock issue? Is that like the PS4 cbomb?
Yes.
CMOS is a way bigger issue than a hypothetical MS server shutdown. Also remember your Xbox account is not just that, it is your MS account if you want to use Office, Teams etc. So if they were to shut down servers that means they would shut down all their accounts and services entirely which is just unnecessary to worry about when CMOS is an actual issue.
Wrong, Microsoft could also just disconnect a certain range of Xbox systems (e.g. Xbox 360).
It's still bad, the label does not matter.
It's bad, but there is actually a reasonable technical reason for that.

Yes.

Wrong, Microsoft could also just disconnect a certain range of Xbox systems (e.g. Xbox 360).

It's bad, but there is actually a reasonable technical reason for that.

Why would they? They support all those platforms and the 360 platform is needed since it brings over your cloud saves and settings over for 360 games. Everything is possible but I’m just tired of focusing on HYPOTHETICAL situations and blowing them up when Sony has an actual real DRM issue that can be replicated and proven through testing of the CMOS battery.

Bridges

You can game share, or you can play your games offline. This is not new, it's been the case since 2013 or whenever the XB1 first came out. If you want offline games, set your console as your home.

I think not being able to play offline is a fair trade off for getting 2 copies of all your digital games, but you're not locked in, and by default you should still have offline access.

It's weird to me how often this has been coming up lately as if it's something people are just realizing, unless there's a new wrinkle to it I've yet to be made aware of.

Greirat

Entire generations of games will be lost in the future, thanks to all these server dependencies. The platform holders don't care though, they'd rather sell you a few of the games a 2nd/3rd/4th/etc. time.

Yoshi

Why would they? They support all those platforms and the 360 platform is needed since it brings over your cloud saves and settings over for 360 games. Everything is possible but I’m just tired of focusing on HYPOTHETICAL situations and blowing them up when Sony has an actual real DRM issue that can be replicated and proven through testing of the CMOS battery.
I think we should just name all preservation issues, independent of what our console alignments are. Since Xbox disc games are playable always offline, as long as you play them on their native system, I do think that the Microsoft situation is better than the Sony situation right now, but acting like Microsoft would never ever disconnect Xbox product lines is just stupid.

ManaByte

but acting like Microsoft would never ever disconnect Xbox product lines is just stupid.

They literally migrated their entire Xbox 360 store back-end over to the modern one that the XBO/XS uses just to keep it alive instead of just shutting it down. That's why you can now use MS store credit to buy 360 games and you couldn't when they were on the old store.

Warablo

Which is it? My understanding is no Xbox one game is native on xsx. Your disc is just a code to download an xsx exe and some installer files. It’s a clever concept but isn’t really game backwards compatibility preservation. It’s like software forward licensing.

Yeah if we are talking about older systems Sony is wrong and stupid for not installing an emulator for older PlayStation consoles.
Every game is native, same with most Ps4 games on the Ps5. They are basically the same system, but after re-reading the thread OP again, maybe I am arguing about the wrong thing, because I never tried playing my Series X without ever connecting the internet once.

I think you're thinking of 360/OG Xbox games. Where you usually need a one time patch/download profile of your Xbox 360 profile to play an old game.

Last edited:

Yoshi

They literally migrated their entire Xbox 360 store back-end over to the modern one that the XBO/XS uses just to keep it alive instead of just shutting it down. That's why you can now use MS store credit to buy 360 games and you couldn't when they were on the old store.
That does not give me anyguarantees for what will be happening in ten or twenty years. E.g. if Microsoft ever decides to leave the console business, or swap to a fully streaming based service.

sn0man

However, in the end the CMOS battery issue that effects the PS3, PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5 disc and PS5 digital is even worse. Since for the Series consoles it’s a hypothetical scenario if MS shuts down servers. Meanwhile the battery dying in those Sony consoles is real and when it dies it won’t allow you to play any disc or digital games on PS4 consoles for example. Or any digital games on your PS5 digital and even some disc PS5 games with the disc edition.
Read another way…. Though completely stupid and shitty that a cmos is buried inside a PS5, Sony’s PS5 can play PS4 and PS5 disc based games without any internet at any point (even after a cmos replacement).

I must admit there are shitty games that do not work without online (I think Call of Duty) that released on PlayStation consoles but I do not totally fault Sony for that portion.
I think not being able to play offline is a fair trade off for getting 2 copies of all your digital games, but you're not locked in, and by default you should still have offline access.
I assume that as soon as Microsoft figures out a way to close that loophole that they will do so.

Bragr

Banned
This is the kind of stuff you find out after testing for 1 minute. This is not worth getting upset about.

Yoshi

I assume that as soon as Microsoft figures out a way to close that loophole that they will do so.
I do not think that loophole can be closed unless they either disallow offline play altogether or they disallow usage of an Xbox account on a different console. Even nintendo accepts this loophole now.

Top Bottom