• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN leaks Overwatch releasing May 24th, pre-order for open beta early access

Considering Legion is STILL in alpha and betas typically last at least 6 months when it comes to expansions, I'd have figured this was a known thing sadly. :(

September is a very conservative guess, too - only based on their "by Sept 21st 2016" estimate.

I'm feeling Feb 2017 for launch to align with TBC 10 year anniversary.

I'm curios to see how they can justify the $60 price tag when Paragon is F2P, so is every other MOBA/hero shooter

It's probably leaps and bounds ahead in quality of the competition. Project Titan existed foreverrrr.

Tenebrous

I'm curios to see how they can justify the $60 price tag when Paragon is F2P, so is every other MOBA/hero shooter

Because this one is made by the biggest & arguably most beloved PC developer in the world. Servers will be around in 10, hell, 20 years time. This game will be supported more than any of the others.

jediyoshi

Except this is actually a shooter like TF2 is a shooter, Paragon is on the entire other side of the spectrum next to SMITE. The ranged combat isn't what you think it is.

Valravn

Early access for an open beta?

No, Blizzard, no!

3aMlWuFJCVwGs.gif

I want in the beta now!

Machina

Banned
Early access for an open beta?

No, Blizzard, no!

3aMlWuFJCVwGs.gif

I want in the beta now!

Can we just rename Betas "Marketing Demos"? Because that is essentially what they are. You have to buy in to the product before you can even try it, even when it is perfectly possible for developers to put a portion of their game out there without any loss.

Arizato

If this is true I am so excited for this. Haven't got into the Beta, but all the gameplay I've seen makes it look like so much fun. Have played a lot of Team Fortress 2 for years now, but since I saw this it just doesn't feel the same anymore. Overwatch feels like an evolution of the TF2 gameplay and it can't come soon enough.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Can we just rename Betas "Marketing Demos"? Because that is essentially what they are. You have to buy in to the product before you can even try it, even when it is perfectly possible for developers to put a portion of their game out there without any loss.

I mean, every now and then a game will still have a Beta that is actually a Beta. It's rare on console, but it happens. I agree though that the majority of "betas" these days are just glorified demos.

jediyoshi

If we're getting into semantics, at no point has paying for access been tied to what defines a beta. That doesn't even fall under how this beta will actually function.

Mozendo

Don't recall R6:Siege being free.
Edit: Has Blizz they announced a MOBA game mode? If not people really need to stop calling this a moba.

They can do it because they have made a game that performs really well on a variety of hardware and is actually fun to play.

It's not a moba either and shouldn't be compared to any games in that genre.

All heroes and maps are included in the base price of the game and will be added to, so you pay no extra.

They will make extra money from loot box nonsense in the game that get's you cosmetic items.

Pooya

This one has actually shown to have great deal of public interest unlike those other games so far.

Blizzard's brand carries a lot of weight still and a new game by them will bring in large crowds by itself on day one, unlike Epic Games or anyone else. Whether they can maintain it after launch remains to be seen of course.

With this game you actually get future content for free unlike those f2p games. maps and heroes.

It's actually 40 bucks btw.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I'm just here to complain about the console tax while PC has a 40 dollar version.

$60 version comes with extra cosmetics and IIRC cosmetics will be the only DLC they charge for. Also, we only know there is a $60 version from retail stores, there might be a $40 digital only version on X1/PS4.

Preordered this basically as soon as I was able to back when it went up, been really eager to get in and play. Usually watching streams of a game kind of sates my hunger for playing it, but with Overwatch it's just made me more and more hype to get in.

I want to play ASAP, bring on that preorder beta access.

Smart move by Blizzard. I expected something like this to happen sooner but better late than never. I wonder if the console versions will have the same deal or if it will be strictly the PC version.

I'm super hyped about Overwatch but I also very much wanted Battleborn to succeed. I hope that Gearbox and 2K find a way to get it out to people so it can.

Sony/Microsoft's platform fee plus store fee/retail store fee. Gotta be worth $20 over self publishing a game on your own platform with no middlemen at all.

For people in the UK too, there is no way this game will actually be £60 apart from in places like GAME and the PSN/xbox store, most online retailers will have it for sale at £35-£45.

Navid

Uncharted 4
Doom
Battleborn
Mirrors Edge
One Piece Burning Blood
Valkyria Chronicles Remaster
Overwatch
Yeah not a good month to release it on for me, those three titles all currently have me more interested (and if I hadn't already played Valkyria to death on PS3 that would have been another one).

I'm sure it'll sell like crazy on PC in any case like all Blizzard titles, will be interesting to see how well it does on consoles and how much support Blizzard provides for it.

Yeah not a good month to release it on for me, those three titles all currently have me more interested (and if I hadn't already played Valkyria to death on PS3 that would have been another one).

I'm sure it'll sell like crazy on PC in any case like all Blizzard titles, will be interesting to see how well it does on consoles and how much support Blizzard provides for it.

I'll be buying the Xbox One version. I may buy the PC version as well but I'll be mainly playing on Xbone.

Keep in mind, Blizzard is known for their legendary status of supporting their game for years even a decade to come, plus it is already confirmed all future heroes and maps will be completely free.

Also, almost all of Blizzard betas are actually betas, not glorified vertical slice demo non-sense.

DrArchon

Have they put out recommended PC specs for this? I want to know if my laptop can handle this.

Sucks to be Gearbox though. It's gonna be sad when more people are playing the Open Beta for this than the full release of Battleborn.

Top Bottom