• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Microsoft putting together a "AAAA" game studio

Then let's discuss the problem and solutions to it, rather than carrying out Phil-atio on the xbox execs.

Matrick did ruin it, there's no doubt, but 'Phil' has done jack shit during his reign, other than send out confusing, flip-floppy messages.

lol thats utter nonsense man. They have been easily the most pro-consumer console
brand since he took over. Then you have the One X, which was fantastic hardware, and Gamepass for starters.

He cant code the games himself. His moves on studios wont come to fruition for a few more years so we cant judge him on that.

But now we have the Series X, the undeniable power champion of this new gen and a wonderful piece of hardware. You know Xbox could have just conceded hardware to Sony and went down a very different path but Phil had his team make the best console twice now (1x over ps4pro and now Series X). He deserves some credit

It's a great way to "sell" a studio that people want to join, but they now have a lot of pressure to deliver something really compelling first time.

I thought it would make more sense to bring in a really established independent studio (but what do I know).

Last edited:

dottme

Maybe they should concentrate on their current teams' output first. Walk before run.
Yeah, but no. It takes time to make a game. If you wait to solve all your current issue before starting a new project, this means you will have a long empty period in your pipeline without any releases.
You need to start new project at regular interval so you can finished and deliver project at regular interval.

But yes, they should still focus on their output and learn and fix the issues in all their studio.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
HDb9opK.gif

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's a great way to "sell" a studio that people want to join, but they now have a lot of pressure to deliver something really compelling first time.

I thought it would make more sense to bring in a really established independent studio (but what do I know).
They didn't sell the studio this way... they actually worded a job ad as asking for “experience shipping high quality titles at AAAA standards”... meaning they are asking for people with "AAAA experience"; it's just a way of asking for people with experience creating upper echelon games... that's it.

And IGN has been repeating it for years as though they hyped it as a "AAAA studio"..

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
AAAA or AAA or AA, they just need give us quality games.

It wouldn’t be bad idea if they put out interesting and unique AA games without breaking a budget.

No idea what AAAA is, no idea what the game is, no idea when the game is coming out, no idea about anything. Phenomenal detective work by IGN.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Bloody hell. Talk about willy waving. Imagine the pressure on creating a AAAA game.

$100M Dev cost
$100M marketing cost
400 strong team

the politics, the interference, the fear, the risks, the lack of any kind of autonomy... sounds like a poison chalice to me.

Harlock

I hear the same story from Amazon and Google. And always go wrong. . A game studio is born from founders. You can buy one, but not build one from zero.

Once again the brilliant new games are just out of sight around the corner, but totally, 100% coming, one day, for real this time.

Quite honestly though, even if this time they do end up delivering, it won't be until the generation after bext when we see it.

The studio won't just be starting from scratch on development, it'll be a day minus something, going over concepts and brainstorming for a damned long time, before anything actually starts getting made.

lol thats utter nonsense man. They have been easily the most pro-consumer console
brand since he took over. Then you have the One X, which was fantastic hardware, and Gamepass for starters.

He cant code the games himself. His moves on studios wont come to fruition for a few more years so we cant judge him on that.

But now we have the Series X, the undeniable power champion of this new gen and a wonderful piece of hardware. You know Xbox could have just conceded hardware to Sony and went down a very different path but Phil had his team make the best console twice now (1x over ps4pro and now Series X). He deserves some credit

He took over from Mattrick, Kinect and Tv Tv Tv. Not exactly a high bar to raise, though i agree with the X and GP. Chuck in the Elite controller for good measure.

He can't code them himself, he needs to lead the teams to do that. Something which is obvious very lacking at his level and/or above.

It is deniable, until we see both consoles deep dives we can't be sure of anything. Don't confuse that with me thinking Sony will magic some specs up, just a point of pure evidence, we cannot say for certain, until we've seen all evidence.

The 1x vs Pro isn't a fair comparison and i dislike it when gamers make the comparison. The PS4Pro is two PS4's celotaped together, pretty much. The X is an entirely new console, designed differently from the One. It's a beast, for sure, but let's not imply that the X is a 'suped up' version of the Xbone, it isn't.

I'll give the man credit when he stops talking and start delivering like his successful predecessors
Yeah, but no. It takes time to make a game. If you wait to solve all your current issue before starting a new project, this means you will have a long empty period in your pipeline without any releases.
You need to start new project at regular interval so you can finished and deliver project at regular interval.

But yes, they should still focus on their output and learn and fix the issues in all their studio.
Agreed.

Though, I would like to see more output of both quality and quantity from their studios, that way it's a safe bet that this new studio will be industry-leading.

If they're creating the studio and hiring the staff only now then I'm sure that the game won't materialize before 2025, or 2027 if Microsoft really wants a true AAAA project from this studio.

So... if their AAA can't match Sony's AAA, what makes them think they can do AAAA (sounds like made up marketing speak)?

And what does the extra A represent? MS burning more money on a friend for Craig?

Last edited:
Your trolling, shilling or point of view, whichever one of those three it is, is extremely tiring to hear.

As an xbox fan, i want your arsehole to grow tastebuds for how you and your ilk continually 'big-up' the lacklustre and abysmal output from Microsoft.

Show me a list of all the games released for the past 10 years on Xbone and 360. 1st and 2nd parties and 3rd party exclusives. Then do the same for the previous ten years.

You'll see how pathetic and mindless your posts really are.

Unless you're a double-agent; hyping up microsoft while working for their competition? Like how non-Man U fans cheer for OGS to keep on as the manager.
he's 10 times worse than eastwood

fermcr

What's the difference between a AAA studio and a AAAA studio (besides the extra letter A)?

Last edited:

Wimbledon

Xbox needs a new face honestly Masterchief needs someone else. I remember back in 2007 how exciting it was to have Halo 3, Mass Effect 1 and Gears 1 on my system. I came off a great scifi shooter to another space opera in mass effect. Played gears with my dad those were some awesome times.

I'm hoping whatever they make is great for them, and the character hopefully being as iconic as master chief has been for the Xbox brand.

This sounds very familiar. AAAA? Don’t you have to establish good AA and AAA titles before you graduate to AAAA whatever that’s suppose to be?

CrysisFreak

Banned
Not gonna judge them but AAAA is such a stupid fucking term.
Even RDR2 and TLOU2 are not AAAA games despite their mindblowing production values, because it doesn't exist, stupid term.

Ar¢tos

Very ambitious!
They haven't really nailed AAA game making and they are already jumping to AAAA.
Can't wait for them to introduce AAAAA games mid next-gen.

Hezekiah

Banned

The One X was £449 on release, PS4 Pro was £349 so I don't think it makes sense to say it was better. It was more powerful because it was significantly more expensive to build. The XSX? You're saying it's better based on specs you've seen on paper. To this point we haven't even seen any games running on XSX hardware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom