• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Microsoft putting together a "AAAA" game studio

Caio

wAKooiB.gif

I'm not expecting anything less than AAAAA !

Entroyp

And this is supposed to be a good thing ?

To me it just means....more 'show', less 'go' and something dumb enough to appeal to the IGN crowd to cover those costs.

I guess they will try to emulate Rockstar games? Big, expensive blockbusters games that take 1000+ People and 6-8 years to make. That’s risky.

Adding those to gamepass only might make things even more challenging.

MiguelItUp

This kind of news doesn't really mean to much to me. At least until we see them really do some magic. What we've seen so far has been.... Eh.

Porcile

AAAA game for me is a cultural phenomenon like GTA5 or Pokemon. You can't just say you're making one and expect it to happen. Microsoft are really bringing the cringe this time around.

Topfuel

The One X was £449 on release, PS4 Pro was £349 so I don't think it makes sense to say it was better. It was more powerful because it was significantly more expensive to build. The XSX? You're saying it's better based on specs you've seen on paper. To this point we haven't even seen any games running on XSX hardware.

Forza and Gears 5?

Kurimao

AAAA? a load of bull.

The only way who can be given that RANK is somene who can unseat something maybe like Rockstars (GTAV) as kings.
But by Microsoft i doubt it.

Dolomite

A preview at best a gameplay reveal (given how much they supposedly spent on Halo infinite I would not hold my breath).

MS is pretty good at reveals, so wait until next next gen to see their output, especially if the game needs to be delayed.
Comparing every studio to 343 is disrespecting the other 14 studios whose Next Gen work we haven't even seen yet.

Can anyone explain to me what a AAAA game is supposed to be?
It smells like "throw more money in, get even less back".

Honestly i don't think even MS believe this. It is just PR to fill the gaps so there is something else to talk about other than Xbox failures. It works for Xbox customers so I guess good on them.

jigglet

Banned
I've never understood how this is going to work.

You take the very cream of the crop from many companies. Each one has risen to the top of the respective studios because in large part; very singularly focused, very ego driven, very controlling. You need to have these attributes to do well and lead large teams. Yes you will have the occasional outlier but by and large, you need a certain personality type to rise to the top. So you amass a studio of dozens of these people - how is that not going to end in conflict?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not still fully understand from what perspective makes a game "AAA". I mean game like Pokemon is considered "AAA" but game like Sakura Wars that has better tech for its graphics considered "AA".

Is it the graphics, budget or is the marketing?

Redlancet

Banned
I've never understood how this is going to work.

You take the very cream of the crop from many companies. Each one has risen to the top of the respective studios because in large part; very singularly focused, very ego driven, very controlling. You need to have these attributes to do well and lead large teams. Yes you will have the occasional outlier but by and large, you need a certain personality type to rise to the top. So you amass a studio of dozens of these people - how is that not going to end in conflict?
the cream? i doubt it

Neolombax

I'll let the game speak for itself. Calling it a AAAA studio or a SS-tier or whatever does nothing for me. Hiring very talented people does not equate to ideas coalescing well into a great end product.

Top Bottom