• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Nintendo DSi Countdown

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
IGN said:
This week we've been counting down the days to the DSi's Japanese release by examining the new features of the system, one at a time, and dreaming about what the future might hold for them. What kinds of games will make use of the DSi's unique capabilities? What can we expect to see that we've never seen before? And what can Nintendo's past products help us to predict about the company's future endeavors? We've looked at all those questions and more over the past few days, and will wrap up our discussion today and tomorrow.

Monday | Cameras
DSiCamerasGraphic_1225123361.jpg

The most immediately obvious difference between the new DSi and soon-to-be-old DS Lite is the DSi's addition of a digital camera to the hardware design. Two digital cameras, actually, as one is placed on the external shell of the device while another is positioned inside, on the hinge, facing the user. Both cameras will have the capability to capture images at a 0.3 megapixel resolution of 640 x 480 pixels. And the snapshots will be stored either on the DSi's internal flash memory, or on a removable SD card.

Those are the facts -- those are the things we know. What we don't know, yet, is just what kind of crazy game ideas the Big N has in mind to employ one, or both, of those included cameras. But three past products produced by the publisher could point to some possibilities -- they are Pokemon Snap, the Game Boy Camera, and the Japan-only DS design Facening de Hyojo Yutaka ni Insho Up: Otona no DS Kao Training (Face Training, for short).​

Tuesday | Sound
DSiSoundGraphic_1225207665.jpg

The current DS hardware has been no slouch in the sound department, as the speaker set-up used in both the original DS and DS Lite models has proven itself much more capable than the simple systems heard in Nintendo's old Game Boys. That set-up is getting another fresh upgrade for the DSi, though, which promises to improve the system's audio performance even more than before -- check out the new oval-shaped speaker holes in the image above, replacing the six little circle holes you see on your current DS.

More interesting than the internal changes to the hardware, though, are the upgrades to the new DS system's software -- those freshly enhanced new speakers will be supported by a built-in application called DSi Sound. The app brings the DSi one step closer to what most other portable electronic devices are trying to achieve, but while it won't replace your iPod it's interesting that Nintendo is getting its feet wet in the area that Apple's mastered.​

Wednesday | DSWare
First up, the Internet Browser. The current models of Nintendo's DS hardware already got an Internet Browser application last year, but it would be understandable if you didn't know that -- the software was horrible, and rated a laughable 3.5 out of 10 in Craig's review. With over a year more development time to improve the product, then, we hope that the DSi's version of the same Opera-based Browser will see significant improvements. It should, theoretically, be helped out by the fact that it will no longer need an external memory pack to function -- and if it does work, and work smoothly, then the promise of actually being able to surf the web through your portable Nintendo device could come to pass.

Next we have the Moving Notepad. This little app seems like PictoChat's big brother -- it's a piece of software that allows you to sketch out drawings, like the DS system's well-known built-in chat program. But then, unlike PictoChat, it lets you set a series of your drawings into a sequence to create an animation. Like the paper-based flipbooks you probably had a brief interest in in elementary school, the program will cycle through each "page" to create the illusion of movement. You can even add in bits of sound over the action, using the recording feature of the DSi Sound program we discussed in yesterday's feature.​

Thursday | Virtual Console?
GameBoySystems_1225407230.jpg

First of all, the very idea of the Virtual Console coming to the DSi is pure speculation -- nothing has been officially announced about it. The facts that make it a viable possibility and an almost certain likelihood, though, in our opinion, are the known existence of the DSi Shop, the established popularity of the retro gaming download service on the Wii, and the fact that Nintendo's entire back catalog of portable software has yet to be utilized for the existing VC.

The library of games from the original Game Boy, the Game Boy Color and the Game Boy Advance systems are all just sitting out there in the aether, waiting for the Big N to come along and make them available once again -- and make money off of them once again. Nintendo's making nothing but pure profit on the Wii's Virtual Console every time it uploads another one of its classics to the service. It takes very little effort to transform most classic titles into VC-compatible form, so nearly 100% of the Wii Points being spent to download things like Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country and Star Fox 64 are just dollars going straight into the corporate account.​

Friday | DS+Wii Interaction
DSiWiiConnection_1225489950.jpg

In the current age of the industry, we've yet to see any solution for playing DS games on the big screen -- the very nature of the product prohibits it, given its dual-screened hardware and touch sensitivity on one of the displays. The most recent portable-to-console adapter device released is still the Game Boy Player, a last-generation peripheral that doesn't function with the Wii. Clearly, then, there's an area of opportunity here that hasn't yet been explored by Nintendo -- it doesn't have to be a "play DS games on your TV solution," but there must be some creative ways for the DS and Wii to interact with one another that the company hasn't yet taken advantage of. Though it's beginning to.​

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I didn't realize it had a second camera inside the hinge, that's kind of neat. I like that it has an SD card, plays music and has an internal Internet browser, too.

The lack of a GBA slot is killer, though... =\

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Danthrax said:
I didn't realize it had a second camera inside the hinge, that's kind of neat. I like that it has an SD card, plays music and has an internal Internet browser, too.

that's what a gb micro's for. you'll never go back.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Danthrax said:

The Internet browser does seem very much improved, if this video is anything to go by. IGN's worries seem to be relieved.

Danthrax said:

Not really. If you haven't beat your GBA games by now... :p

salva said:
I hope the hinge part doesn't brake =(

It's actually much wider than the Lite's:

large_20081002-nintendo-dsi-dslite-comparison.jpg

Looks like they heard the criticisms, seems to be really reinforced (and in fact is the sole reason DSi is wider than the Lite.)

Hive

Banned
Andrex: Face Training has been on schedule to release in the UK sometime 2008~

link

Though I wonder if that will be reconsidered now...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Miyahon said:
I would love a Virtual Console service for the DSi.

Missed so many GB, GBC and GBA games... :D

Same. Having all the old Wario Land games available wherever would be <3

D-Pad said:
Can you share your flipbook animations with friends?
penis drawings v.2??!!

Dunno, but on a sidenot Pictochat does color now.

Also I think this would be of interest:

Nintendo DSi: 6 reasons it&#8217;s a blogger&#8217;s best friend

It does have the camera's megapixel count wrong but other than that it makes a good point; hopefully the browser can in fact access SD files.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Play-Asia importers check your order, my DSi has a little tick next to it and its ready to go!

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
I got me a reservation at my local game shop and am picking this baby up in a little over 12 hours, woot.

vareon

Fortunately the lack of GBA slot does not concern me since I have 3 other devices that plays GBA games. The addition of SD card slot sold me on this one, but I'll buty this mid-next year since there's many more things I want (and need) to buy.

Somnid

I couldn't find a preorder so I'm gonna take the first train down and pray that I somehow get in line before they hit their cap. It's not likely I'll succeed but maybe I can get some pictures.

senahorse

VOOK said:
Indeed it is :D

Bookmarked, love the layout of the site.

Also I just know when you guys get your DSi's and start showing them off I will be ordering one in a flash, damn compulsive buyer in me.

VOOK

x3n05 said:
Bookmarked, love the layout of the site.

Also I just know when you guys get your DSi's and start showing them off I will be ordering one in a flash, damn compulsive buyer in me.

Thanks man.

By the time I get mine the internet will be flooded with pics :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Andrex said:
Those are the facts -- those are the things we know. What we don't know, yet, is just what kind of crazy game ideas the Big N has in mind to employ one, or both, of those included cameras. But three past products produced by the publisher could point to some possibilities -- they are Pokemon Snap, the Game Boy Camera, and the Japan-only DS design Facening de Hyojo Yutaka ni Insho Up: Otona no DS Kao Training (Face Training, for short).[/INDENT]

I hadn't even thought about that. Now I'm hyped for a non-existent game, dammit.

Somnid said:
I couldn't find a preorder so I'm gonna take the first train down and pray that I somehow get in line before they hit their cap. It's not likely I'll succeed but maybe I can get some pictures.

I don't know where you are, Somnid, but the Bic Camera in Shinjuku is going to be handing out tickets for systems at 21:00 today. Once you have the ticket, you can pick the system up tomorrow whenever you want. (I'm putting up a pre-launch report at IGN while waiting at a nearby cafe... by the way, I'm surrounded here by at least a dozen Monster Hunter players, most of whom are heavy smokers).

Alternatively, the Bic Camera in Yurakucho is doing a mix of pre-orders and same-day sales. The pre-orders are all gone, but for the same-day sales, they said I'd have to line up.

Pretty much every else -- including the Yodobashi in Akihabara and Shinjuku -- is pre-order only.

vareon

Regulus Tera said:
I hadn't even thought about that. Now I'm hyped for a non-existent game, dammit.

Yes, the premise of capturing the pictures of real life Pokemon in your neighborhood is exciting!:D

Somnid

AndriaSang said:
I don't know where you are, Somnid, but the Bic Camera in Shinjuku is going to be handing out tickets for systems at 21:00 today. Once you have the ticket, you can pick the system up tomorrow whenever you want. (I'm putting up a pre-launch report at IGN while waiting at a nearby cafe... by the way, I'm surrounded here by at least a dozen Monster Hunter players, most of whom are heavy smokers).

Alternatively, the Bic Camera in Yurakucho is doing a mix of pre-orders and same-day sales. The pre-orders are all gone, but for the same-day sales, they said I'd have to line up.

Pretty much every else -- including the Yodobashi in Akihabara and Shinjuku -- is pre-order only.

I saw a sign at the game hobby store in Akihabara that said they have 40 units at opening tomorrow. I could change my plans but it depends on how busy it is right now and how many units each store may have. Unfortunately I can't really do an all nighter to since I'm in Japanese dorm they're really restrictive about that kinda of stuff so I basically have to be able to get back to Shin-Matsudo by mid-night.

VOOK

Would be great if it had GPS as well, then certain regions could have certain Pokemon and you'd have to trade :D

Haha, geez VOOK, you actually went ahead and ordered one even with the horrific exchange rate? :[ Here's hoping you don't get stuck with any dead pixels!

maxmars

Andrex said:
It does have the camera's megapixel count wrong but other than that it makes a good point; hopefully the browser can in fact access SD files.

I wouldn't count on it. Certainly it would be a great feature. Actually I'd buy one just because I need that feature and I'm not sold on a netbook yet.

VOOK

Infernal Monkey said:
Haha, geez VOOK, you actually went ahead and ordered one even with the horrific exchange rate? :[ Here's hoping you don't get stuck with any dead pixels!

Yeah taking one for the team, then I can take it to eGames next week and show it off in front of Nintendo Australia :D

Well my silver Lite I got from Japan had the slighty yellow tinted screens, It should be ok.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm gonna be hitting the lines doing video and pics and stuff tomorrow morning so expect some fun stuff.

Somnid

I'll be back with at least a few pictures too, hopefully a DSi. But I guess I need to sleep to get up at 4:30am or so to catch the train.

dannie

good news:

DSi can adjust bightness in anytime put SELECT+vol Button
work just like GBM

also DSi have firmware update just like Wii

2008103193d41ae67f2113foo8.jpg

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
dannie said:
good news:

work just like GBM

also DSi have firmware update just like Wii

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5679/2008103193d41ae67f2113foo8.jpg

Grrrreat, now we will be able to change the brightness setting WHILE playing and no longer need to find a savespot, turn it off, turn it back on, change the brightness setting and restart the game. All the little new stuff are really nice. I hope they'll take advantage of the possibility of FW updates to keep adding stuff.

DAY ONE
in europe...

VOOK

El Pescado said:
Did anyone get one? I wanted to know if you could change the menu to english like the regular DS and DS Lite.

Yeah that would be cool to know, maybe anyone got a blog to a site that has one yet?

Brofist

Wow is it out already. I hadn't been paying any attention, I had just assumed it was still a few weeks away. I might have to get one tomorrow if the stores have them in stock.

VOOK

CycloDS - Failed
G6 DS Real - Failed
M3 DS Real - Failed
Supercard DS One - Failed
iTouch DS - Failed
FCard - Failed
NCard - Failed
M3 DS Simply - Failed
U2DS - Failed
R4DS - Failed
EZ Flash V - Failed

All of the above do not load on the DSi, the auto boot Flash cards won't load period and the non-auto boot ones error on boot from the new menu.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
VOOK said:
All of the above do not load on the DSi, the auto boot Flash cards won't load period and the non-auto boot ones error on boot from the new menu.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES !!!!

CTLance

VOOK said:
:lol
Eat dirt, pirate scum. Sucks for all legitimate users though. All three of them. ;)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
CTLance said:
:lol
Eat dirt, pirate scum. Sucks for all legitimate users though. All three of them. ;)

"This fight isn`t over Nintendo"

ruffy-9.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
dannie said:
good news:

work just like GBM
The lack of this on the Lite is the thing that annoys me the most about it. +1 sale for a DSi in the future.

VOOK

Firmware is in Japanese only, no english option apparently guys.

sp0rsk said:
I'm gonna be hitting the lines doing video and pics and stuff tomorrow morning so expect some fun stuff.

Great. I look forward to it!

Mistouze said:
Grrrreat, now we will be able to change the brightness setting WHILE playing and no longer need to find a savespot, turn it off, turn it back on, change the brightness setting and restart the game. All the little new stuff are really nice. I hope they'll take advantage of the possibility of FW updates to keep adding stuff.

DAY ONE
in europe...

Yeah, all of these little additions are adding up. While I am not blown away immediately as I was with the Phat to Lite transition, the more I hear about these new additions, the more I'm getting pumped for the North American release. Hopefully Gamestop will have a trade-in special or something.

maxmars

Can anybody please check if you can upload files from SD card onto the net via the web browser?

Thanks in advance.. You lucky one!

Top Bottom