• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: No plans for Mass Effect Andromeda on Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTag

Banned
Yup. Whether it's weak specs or lack of confidence in terms of potential sales (leading to weak install base and poor/no ROI), I think another WiiU scenario-- some third-party support to start, then gradual slackening as time goes on-- is the likely scenario.
For western AAA sure. Japan and indies will probably stay on through Switch's lifecycle though.

EA literally sent ME3 to die on the wii u... It was released at the same time the collection was released for ps360, and at the same price.

StereoVsn

Who is buying a Nintendo Switch and hoping to play Mass Effect on it? Come on.
How is that different from people getting excited about Skyrim. If anything playing a new ARPG would be more interesting.

Edit: Basically if a game taxes Xbone/PS4 you won't likely see it on the Switch.

stop expecting Switch to get more than a handful of direct ports of current-gen AAA games

buy a PS4/XB1/PC if you care so much about those games

ffs

Very deeply insensitive of you, and all such posts can fuck the fuck off. How about you stop dictating to Nintendo fans on what they should and shouldn't expect? Also, Why should they "just buy another system" for non-exclusives? That isn't an option for a great deal of people, and not everybody has that privilege, and if it's a cross-platform title, as Mass Effect: Andromeda is, then (perhaps) the publisher should be looking to get it out on every platform possible. Furthermore, "buying another system" means having some hundreds of $ less to spend on games... On THEIR games, and it would be "third parties" losing out in the console space, because exclusives are the primary reason for their existence in the first place. You know what else!? It's telling that you, and others who thread-turd with such posts aren't equally robust in the numerous stealth "Nintendo Becoming A Third Party" fanfics-for-threads - "If you want to play Nintendo games, buy their platforms, because exclusives are the reason to buy any console, ever... FFS". Well, that's too reasonable a line of thought, as the Bayonetta 2 Reveal illustrated so exquisitely, so, of course, that wouldn't happen. **Takes Pitcher; Sips Cocktail...**

As for the comments on hardware - Nope. Stop this. Switch is already host to LOZ: Breath Of The Wild. A Wii U game whose universe is bigger than that of The Witcher 3. It's bigger than several open-world titles combined. Many times the size of Skyrim, and by default, the Remastered Edition. Also, scalability is a thing, while it has a very modern feature set, and given that a lot of UE4-based titles are on the way, the suggestion that Switch could run this one, too, is a more-than-reasonable deduction. That is to say that if it doesn't get a game which is on X4 consoles, it will have nothing to do with the specs, and everything to do with the publisher's call. Still, there is an event in a few days, and pretty much every partner had copy-and-paste responses with regard to Switch plans. There are reports that EA have "a big title" planned, so, what could it be, if it isn't this? If it isn't this one, it could be something else. They might port a complete edition later, an alternative solution which could work for all parties.

For once, NeoGAF... For once, "Gamers", it would be nice, if you didn't fall hook, line and sinker for obvious clickbait. It's been pointed out that this title isn't coming to Project Scorpio, too - Like the Switch, it's hardware that isn't out yet, and it's unfortunate that owners of both those systems won't be able to play it on their console of choice. Why, then, is it only a headline for the Switch, when a)This has been known for quite a while, b)No Project Scorpio release was a glaring point to take from the tweets in question (Will the same people tell prospective Project Scorpio buyers to "buy another system", too? One wonders...), and c)Project Scorpio's non-mention shows that it isn't to do with hardware specs!? Once more, Stop this.

Gator86

Very deeply insensitive of you, and all such posts can fuck the fuck off. How about you stop dictating to Nintendo fans on what they should and shouldn't expect? Also, Why should they "just buy another system" for non-exclusives? That isn't an option for a great deal of people, and not everybody has that privilege, and if it's a cross-platform title, as Mass Effect: Andromeda is, then (perhaps) the publisher should be looking to get it out on every platform possible. Furthermore, "buying another system" means having some hundreds of $ less to spend on games... On THEIR games, and it would be "third parties" losing out in the console space, because exclusives are the primary reason for their existence in the first place. You know what else!? It's telling that you, and others who thread-turd with such posts aren't equally robust in the numerous stealth "Nintendo Becoming A Third Party" fanfics-for-threads - "If you want to play Nintendo games, buy their platforms, because exclusives are the reason to buy any console, ever... FFS". Well, that's too reasonable a line of thought, as the Bayonetta 2 Reveal illustrated so exquisitely, so, of course, that wouldn't happen. **Takes Pitcher; Sips Cocktail...**

As for the comments on hardware - Nope. Stop this. Switch is already host to LOZ: Breath Of The Wild. A Wii U game whose universe is bigger than that of The Witcher 3. It's bigger than several open-world titles combined. Many times the size of Skyrim, and by default, the Remastered Edition. Also, scalability is a thing, while it has a very modern feature set, and given that a lot of UE4-based titles are on the way, the suggestion that Switch could run this one, too, is a more-than-reasonable deduction. That is to say that if it doesn't get a game which is on X4 consoles, it will have nothing to do with the specs, and everything to do with the publisher's call. Still, there is an event in a few days, and pretty much every partner had copy-and-paste responses with regard to Switch plans. There are reports that EA have "a big title" planned, so, what could it be, if it isn't this? If it isn't this one, it could be something else. They might port a complete edition later, an alternative solution which could work for all parties.

For once, NeoGAF... For once, "Gamers", it would be nice, if you didn't fall hook, line and sinker for obvious clickbait. It's been pointed out that this title isn't coming to Project Scorpio, too - Like the Switch, it's hardware that isn't out yet, and it's unfortunate that owners of both those systems won't be able to play it on their console of choice. Why, then, is it only a headline for the Switch, when a)This has been known for quite a while, b)No Project Scorpio release was a glaring point to take from the tweets in question (Will the same people tell prospective Project Scorpio buyers to "buy another system", too? One wonders...), and c)Project Scorpio's non-mention shows that it isn't to do with hardware specs!? Once more, Stop this.

This actually made me start laughing in the office. I look forward to pardoy posts of this down the road.

Effect

EA literally sent ME3 to die on the wii u... It was released at the same time the collection was released for ps360, and at the same price.

It's annoying that people continue to refuse to acknowledge this. ME3 on the Wii U never had a chance. A lot of what one can do to cause a release to fail EA ended up doing in regard to this game. Using the failure of a third entry to an established series with an audience that didn't have access to the prior two titles on said hardware or a reason to buy said entry on said hardware (even if they've played the prior two games on other systems) as a reason of not releasing something that is suppose to be a start for a brand new series has never made sense.

Personally I don't really care about Andromeda. Nothing about that game has come off interesting or exciting. I played the original trilogy and I'm getting weird Dragon Age Inquisition vibes from the gameplay they've shown. Now I didn't hate DA:I but I have a strong "I know how this is going to end up" feeling and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. There are other games that would be far more interesting and better to play on the Switch, especially in the portable mode.

Gestault

stop expecting Switch to get more than a handful of direct ports of current-gen AAA games

I don't want to push salt in a wound, but their advice isn't bad. There are practicalities of the Switch design that make this reasonable. And with the advantage of hindsight, the same advice would have served players pretty well for the last two generations on Nintendo consoles. There is a point where if you want, frankly, more of the popular/influential third-party games of a generation, a Nintendo console isn't the place to do that.

They're not "dictating to Nintendo fans," they're pointing out reality. That being said, I see some people sort of relishing in some of those realities in a hostile way, so I see some of where you're coming from.

Edit: Looking again at the tail end of what you wrote, Mass Effect Andromeda seems like it's a Scorpio title as well, because it's an XB1 title. That's why there isn't an "equivalent" thread.

xealo

ffs

At the same time, that's also part of the problem Nintendo has. No one should need to buy more than one device inside a generation to get access to major third party releases and their preferred console brand exclusives at the same time.

You don't have to do that if you prefer say microsoft or playstation exclusives, but you do with Nintendo.

Who is buying a Nintendo Switch and hoping to play Mass Effect on it? Come on.

I am. I really am. Persona 5 and Mass Effect Andromeda the only reason I still have a PS4, after I get done with those 2 games I'm done with Sony.

I love Nintendo's first and second party support. The only thing missing is the third party. If the Switch was getting games like Persona 5 or Mass Effect Andromeda I would ditch the PS4 so fast.

I can't afford a good gaming Laptop so that's out the question.

Oregano

I am. I really am. Persona 5 and Mass Effect Andromeda the only reason I still have a PS4, after I get done with those 2 games I'm done with Sony.

I love Nintendo's first and second party support. The only thing missing is the third party. If the Switch was getting games like Persona 5 or Mass Effect Andromeda I would ditch the PS4 so fast.

I can't afford a good gaming Laptop so that's out the question.

Persona 5 is a lot more likely than Mass Effect ever was, but you might have to wait for the expanded version.

Effect

D4qQXLc.gif

Granted stuff like this can be improved but it's part of the reason I'm not that interested in Andromeda in the first place. Everything about this game feels off. I don't think Bioware is going to put out a mess but I don't think it's going to turn out to be that good of a game and I think disappointment is going to run high with it.

There are a lot of games I'd like to play on the Switch. Many I don't expect to play on the Switch at the same time. It's why I have a gaming PC. My love of Nintendo first party and partnerships win out in the end over third party titles and why the bulk of my console gaming is on Nintendo hardware (portable and home console). However there are other third party games I'd want or care about being on the Switch before ME:A.

EhoaVash

Lol not surprised. As someone who bought mass effect 3 wii edition, even if the game comes on it on switch one day by magic, I won't be buying it. I still can't believe they released ME3 Wii u same time as the trilogy on ps3/xbox360 bummed me the fuck out when I found out.

pulsemyne

Yes, or course. Unless the internal memory is total garbage there is going to be a noticeable difference on larger games.

You don't have to install games of a cartridge format due to it's big increase in speed over both disc based and mechanical Hard drives. It one of major plus points of cartridges.

I think the Switch could be fine with the Wii's decent level of third party support, basically stuff like Fifa, Madden, NBA 2K, Call of Duty, etc. Of course, having these titles for only one year like the Wii U won't be enough. That said, if it's true that this is a specs issue, that's concerning. If it can't effectively run software that three and a half year old machines can run, that's a big problem. However, it is EA, they were the first to cut and run from the Wii U of the big three western companies, and they could be waiting to see how their games (well one game to be exact) sell on the console and how well it sells in general.

Radec

The game would probably take up all the space available anyways. Who the fuck wants to load this off of an SDcard?

If third party devs cannot find a way to make their current gen games not use the internal storage most of the time, then they probably wouldn't bother releasing a Switch port.

Soroc

BioWare has stated that it currently does not expect to port the new entry in the Mass Effect series to Nintendo's latest console, the Switch.

"We’re not planning on it," Mass Effect Andromeda Producer, Michael Gamble explained to Stevivor. However, he did make clear that consumer demand could change that stance:
"If the Switch launches and everyone’s just yammering for Mass Effect, who knows. [sic] We never want to close doors like that.”

EA keeping on EA'n

So dumb, lets translate that:
if there is demand, then we may release an outdated port 6-12 months later that will tank in sales and will reinforce us not supporting the Switch platform.

I'd buy a late port on Switch out of curiosity, since it doesn't look like you need to play the originals to understand it, and I dislike using Origin on PC. I honestly can't blame them for this decision after the Wii U, but maybe the Switch will be different? The public reveal couldn't get here any sooner.

Astral Dog

Shocking News

Seriously i dont know who was expecting it. Working on a late port for Swutch would have been a Nightmare

I would love to play Mass Effect on the Switch...

In fact, I would love to play quite a lot of western games on the Switch.
but logically, that isn't going to happen. Who is really anticipating playing GTA6, Mass Effect, Kojima's next game, (if it wasn't Sony published) Red Dead, Assassin's Creed, etc...on Switch?

I don't understand the need to make these types of threads. Nintendo doesn't release hardware on par technically with the other two for over a decade now. You get a Nintendo console mostly for Nintendo games. 3rd parties are just better represented on PC/PS4/Xbox.

j0hnnix

Gold Member

ffs

giphy.gif

Calm down. Father_Brain is stating the obvious, itll be rare the switch will get all AAA titles like the ps4, xbone.. the switch will mostly be , like all other Nintendo consoles, a 1st party box.. they might get some but the library will mainly consist of their games(im not considering indies).. so why not invest in the switch for Nintendo's first party and get the third party games on the other consoles.

Effect

Can we also be honest here. Who honestly thought EA was ever on board? I never did. I expect thing from them regarding the Switch. Remember EA was the company that pulled out before the Wii U ever even released. They didn't even try to see how it would do. They pulled support preemptively and took steps that lead to even their small offerings they put out dying on arrival. Results everyone called and could see happening. Why the game isn't coming isn't a surprised.

The wall of companies shouldn't be believed in general when it comes to Nintendo and especially if EA is a company on it. I expect nothing from EA when it comes to Nintendo. Whatever third party support the Switch gets EA should never be in the discussion. No matter what anyone at EA says assume and count on nothing from them. It's not just to save yourself from disappointment but allow you to better focus your energies on other things more worthwhile.

EA keeping on EA'n

So dumb, lets translate that:

Caught that as well. The "if there is demand" is perhaps one of the biggest PoS statements that came from a company and to hell with anyone that tires to use that in an interview. Fellow Nintendo fans please do not fall for that crap.

AzaK

Switch is off to a good start. Game possibly releasing same month as a brand new console and the brand new console doesn't have it. You'd never see this if it was a MS or Sony console.

Can we also be honest here. Who honestly thought EA was ever on board? I never did. I expect thing from them regarding the Switch. Remember EA was the company that pulled out before the Wii U ever even released. They didn't even try to see how it would do. They pulled support preemptively and took steps that lead to even their small offerings they put out dying on arrival. Results everyone called and could see happening. Why the game isn't coming isn't a surprised.

The wall of companies shouldn't be believed in general when it comes to Nintendo and especially if EA is a company on it. I expect nothing from EA when it comes to Nintendo. Whatever third party support the Switch gets EA should never be in the discussion. No matter what anyone at EA says assume and count on nothing from them. It's not just to save yourself from disappointment but allow you to better focus your energies on other things more worthwhile.

Caught that as well. The "if there is demand" is perhaps one of the biggest PoS statements that came from a company and to hell with anyone that tires to use that in an interview. Fellow Nintendo fans please do not fall for that crap.

If EA isn't onboard then there's trouble.

This actually made me start laughing in the office. I look forward to pardoy posts of this down the road.

What is your point, to harass and antagonise me? If you've nothing of note to contribute to the discussion, then please, don't quote my posts. Better still, leave me alone. Every word I wrote was true. It isn't coming to Project Scorpio, but the article is positioned to antagonise Nintendo fans, and the Switch's hardware, that is already declared on here as "underpowered" when we know nothing of the retail specs, except it has the capacity to run X4 games, and we can deduce that it can handle more than people on here think, given the scale of titles already confirmed for it. You would have to be a rather sad individual, and your reading comprehension would be have to be rather poor, if what you took from anything I wrote was "LOLZ Nintendo fans" or "console wars". Still, With regard to the post I quoted, it's very telling that Nintendo fans are told to "expect less", or buy another system and shut up, but where a BG&E2 or Bayonetta 2 are concerned, and the shoe is on the other foot, the same people who tell others to shut up won't do the same, and bite... and that's for exclusivity, not a cross-platform title. There's no need for it, and it says a lot about the gaming community in general. It's about laughing at and dragging people, rather than empathising with those who wish to be able to play non-exclusives on their platform of choice, even if they haven't been able to for some time. That you quote my post in the hope that somebody would treat it as you have to antagonise me says a lot about you. It's bullying, and I would hope that the site moderators protect people from such treatment.

Fanuilos

What is your point, to harass and antagonise me? If you've nothing of note to contribute to the discussion, then please, don't quote my posts. Better still, leave me alone. Every word I wrote was true. It isn't coming to Project Scorpio, but the article is positioned to antagonise Nintendo fans, and the Switch's hardware, that is already declared on here as "underpowered" when we know nothing of the retail specs, except it has the capacity to run X4 games, and we can deduce that it can handle more than people on here think, given the scale of titles already confirmed for it. You would have to be a rather sad individual, and your reading comprehension would be have to be rather poor, if what you took from anything I wrote was "LOLZ Nintendo fans" or "console wars". Still, With regard to the post I quoted, it's very telling that Nintendo fans are told to "expect less", or buy another system and shut up, but where a BG&E2 or Bayonetta 2 are concerned, and the shoe is on the other foot, the same people who tell others to shut up won't do the same, and bite... and that's for exclusivity, not a cross-platform title. There's no need for it, and it says a lot about the gaming community in general. It's about laughing at and dragging people, rather than empathising with those who wish to be able to play non-exclusives on their platform of choice, even if they haven't been able to for some time. That you quote my post in the hope that somebody would treat it as you have to antagonise me says a lot about you. It's bullying, and I would hope that the site moderators protect people from such treatment.
Scorpio is an Xbox One. People will be able to take their Xbox One copy and play it on Scorpio. Use paragraphs.

The fact that his name is "angel whispers" cracks me up. Apparently when angels whisper, it sounds a lot like the most wounded, defensive fan rant I've heard in ages. This is glorious.

I can't believe people still have fanboy wars.

Okay, Nintendo Switch won't have Mass Effect: Andromeda. Disappointing, but expected.

If you want to play it, you probably already have the means to do so.

Nintendo Switch will have a new 3D Mario game and for that reason, it will be purchased.

Move on with your lives.

Buy the systems that have the games you want to play.

/end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom