• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN NVC: Crazy Tales from the inside of the Nintendo Wifi Connection (WOW!!!!)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
@Eli: Because dinosaurs rule.

On the 3DS developers can even set up an ingame patch system, as shown by Mario Golf: World Tour, so players don't have to go to the eShop to download the patch. It's very convenient.

That's true. Golf is what better at this than some older games!!

Mind you, this quote and others came from 2002 and 2003, and it's always about Iwata personally not feeling online is guaranteed to be the future of console gaming, but if it is, they'd be there when enough people are gaming online on consoles for them to see it as a viable means to do business. Essentially, they felt the market wasn't ready in 2002 and 2003 for a serious effort. You may disagree with this, but he certainly never referred to it as a fad or a waste of time / money.

The trouble seems to me to be that when that time does come that those things (online, HD, etc.) are "ready," it is only then that Nintendo decides to learn what makes them work. "Oh, it looks like HD gaming has been accepted. Now we should send our aging developers to school to learn how to implement it." And they are far too timid in how far they go even then.

Nintendo problems go way beyond weak outdated hardware. It's the antiquated philosophy and corporate culture that's ruining Nintendo.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is actually not at all what he said. He is always misquoted. Here's an example of what he actually said:

Mind you, this quote and others came from 2002 and 2003, and it's always about Iwata personally not feeling online is guaranteed to be the future of console gaming, but if it is, they'd be there when enough people are gaming online on consoles for them to see it as a viable means to do business. Essentially, they felt the market wasn't ready in 2002 and 2003 for a serious effort. You may disagree with this, but he certainly never referred to it as a fad or a waste of time / money.

Fast forward 9-10 years and Nintendo says that they cannot match their competitors' online efforts as they started way earlier than Nintendo... because when it was time to build the network they felt it was a poor use of money.

The quote you posted and other bits, such as the "AR? VR? Nah, we will leapfrog them and go to the next stage of evolution, non wearable", kind of give the impression of quite arrogant and self obsessed Nintendo management...

"Investing in a network infrastructure (replace it with shaders and HD graphics) and figure out its problems like our competitors are doing? Nah, we will leapfrog them once online gaming is proven viable in the future..." --> Nintendo shows up late, unprepared, and seems to have learned nothing from their competitors' struggles.

TriGen

Very good listen. I just started listening to NVC again in the last month or so and they're doing a good job.

As far as Nintendo and online, as others have stated it seems Nintendo was waiting until it was a necessary part of doing game business before they really got involved as they didn't want to invest fully before it was profitable and that put them behind.

I do think Iwata and Nintendo realize their mistakes in this area, though, and that's why he's mentioned at investor meetings about the whole iOS/Android approach and sharing architecture between their handheld and console -- and in turn of course sharing software. Now that of course would require a full-blown account system, so obviously they would have to be very online focused. All I guess we can do is hope they go all-in from the start and don't -- as they mention in the podcast -- just make things a little bit better but are prepared to make a big leap.

Guess this explains why the 3DS/Wii U were so backwards regarding online play until recently when Nintendo finally had a fire lit underneath them.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Guess this explains why the 3DS/Wii U were so backwards regarding online play until recently when Nintendo finally had a fire lit underneath them.

Definitely explains the 3DS, though in Wii U's case it seems more to be once they finally started to move they were too far behind. They're still catching up piecemeal, a tiny bit at a time.

Lkr

They were online by the end of 2005. Apart from friend codes being an annoying system, they really weren't that far behind the PS2/PSP efforts at the time. They did support voice chat on some games. The problem is they never evolved their platform.

Fast forward 9-10 years and Nintendo says that they cannot match their competitors' online efforts as they started way earlier than Nintendo... because when it was time to build the network they felt it was a poor use of money.

The quote you posted and other bits, such as the "AR? VR? Nah, we will leapfrog them and go to the next stage of evolution, non wearable", kind of give the impression of quite arrogant and self obsessed Nintendo management...

"Investing in a network infrastructure (replace it with shaders and HD graphics) and figure out its problems like our competitors are doing? Nah, we will leapfrog them once online gaming is proven viable in the future..." --> Nintendo shows up late, unprepared, and seems to have learned nothing from their competitors' struggles.

And for a company that makes so many compelling multiplayer games, it is asininedly self-defeating.

Elija2

@Eli: Because dinosaurs rule.

I'm not so sure about this dinosaur.

wfcmghH.png

I've been podcasting a few times a week for five years now and this is one of the most fascinating shows I've ever been part of. Props to Jose for making NVC so wonderful each week and to Todd for breaking down that crazy history.

I'm honored to be able to work with such wonderful people. Huge thanks to everybody that listened this week and every week.

Zachawii

Neo Member
I think the Wii u can pretty much do the same stuff my Xbox 360 and Ps3 can do online wise?? I don't understand why people still say it can't match them. I have personally seen no difference in Online Components like messaging and invites Which the wii u can do.

So please explain what wii u is still missing that the competitors do so much better? Besides Nintendo's reluctance to make Mario kart Lobby Chat only. Third Party still support the feature right.

Raide

I think the Wii u can pretty much do the same stuff my Xbox 360 and Ps3 can do online wise?? I don't understand why people still say it can't match them. I have personally seen no difference in Online Components like messaging and invites Which the wii u can do.

So please explain what wii u is still missing that the competitors do so much better? Besides Nintendo's reluctance to make Mario kart Lobby Chat only. Third Party still support the feature right.

I think they pretty much have parity at this point in terms of basic functionality but they have never really had a massive game that really tests all of their infrastructure. Having huge numbers of players like in CoD and other titles really forces MS and Sony to make sure they constantly keep updating and refining what they offer. The fact Nintendo have only just caught up with the 360 and PS3 shows how much Nintendo really does not care about pushing online forward.

Elija2

Wii U doesn't do instant messaging, voice chat, or party chat. Wii U Chat doesn't count (although it's certainly a nice bonus) because it's one-on-one video chat only and you can't use it while in a game, and Miiverse doesn't count because it's a public moderated message board. You also can't sent game invites to friends.

Tizoc

This is actually not at all what he said. He is always misquoted. Here's an example of what he actually said:

Didn't Iwata or some Nintendo head during the GC era decide not to include online hardware in the GC, but then they ended up adding it in?

Top Bottom