• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: PlayStation 5 vs. Xbox Series X: 6 Months Later

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The PS5 and Xbox Series X have only been available for the last six months, but already the newest generation of consoles has been a busy one. From big games (Returnal, The Medium, and MLB The Show 21), to subscription services (Xbox Game Pass with xCloud, and Playstation Plus, ), to much more, PlayStation and Xbox’s newest consoles are off to a fascinating start How have they stacked up so far, and has much changed since launch day?

Well, IGN’s Jonathon Dornbush and Ryan McCaffrey are here to answer just that.

00:00 - Intro
00:37 - Exclusives and Other Big Games
02:30 - Subscription Services
05:30 - Peripheral Support
09:03 - Major Updates
11:52 - Quality of Life & Outro

I'm happy with both, but I need more exclusives games.

kretos

Banned
Playstation always delivers, in Jim Ryan we trust

4DQD6E1.gif

Riky

$MSFT
I now have both, most of my gaming is 120fps multiplayer with Gears 5 and Warzone which is a game changer for online play. Obviously VRR is a massive bonus when Devs have struggled with optimization, no screen tearing or stuttering at all.
So happy with my first six months and by the end of the year first party games will be the last piece of the jigsaw.

Having day one expandable storage for next gen games has let me move my games easily between Series X and S which has been very convenient and FPS Boost has given a whole new lease of life to games that struggled last gen, stuff like Mad Max at 120fps and Far Cry 4, Primal and 5 running at 60fps are superb. Amazed they have nearly a 100 games with FPS Boost on top of a raft of Series upgraded games in such a short period.

Last edited:

sainraja

I have both systems and right now I am getting the most out of the PS5.

I got the XSX first and spent a lot of time playing Destiny 2 there but now I've switched to playing it on the PS5 (I still go back and forth between the systems.) Other games I am playing are Returnal, Sackboy and some of the older PS4 games every now and then.....and I did end up getting RE:Village on the PS5 so playing that as well.....wish it was third person though!

Last edited:

elliot5

I've used both, but only had about two months with the PS5 (prev roommate) and have an XSX. I'm satisfied with both, especially the Xbox as it's my first time owning one since having a PlayStation one onwards and Nintendo stuff here and there. I'll get a PS5 down the road on the first hardware shrink, probably.

I think it'll be a great gen for the industry and users alike, with probably the most competition seen yet.

Beechos

I have both, im currently enjoying the series x more mainly because of quick resume. They have both been very underwhelming thus far.

I am still rocking my ps4 pro,

Fuck IGN, Fuck Ps5, Fuck Xbox, Fuck scalpers and fuck VRR ( sorry Riky Riky )

I want to add Mod of War Mod of War into that list be he will probably ban me if i do, :messenger_heart:

"lollipop_disappointed:

Peace all and enjoy your games.
This is like walking into Gordon Ramsey's restaurant (at least in terms of PS5) and trying to flex on everyone that you're still a bad ass who eats McDonalds.

Just why?

PS5 delivers by having better exclusives and Dual Sense, the Series X delivers by having better BC catalog and VRR/Riky support.
lmfao @ better BC catalog

EDIT just to clarify not laughing at the notion its true. Laughing at the fact in order to defend Xtrash you have to say "Well I can play OG Xbox games on the Xtrash and PS can't play PS3 games"

Such a humorous thing playing olds games is the edge Xtrash has

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I play my Xbox more but Sony definitely delivered a true next Gen experience with next gen games. I enjoyed demons Souls, Astro bot is amazing. Miles morales was sweet at 60 FPS and raytracing and I can’t wait for ratchet next month. I will pick up returnal at some point.

Microsoft has me covered on third party with games like resi 8. yakuza like a dragon was amazing and gamepass brings me back day in and day out but man! MS needs to have an amazing E3 and last 6 months of the year for me to be really blown away with it.
ultimately they are both awesome consoles, but Sony delivered a more next gen 6 months no doubt about that.

I do feel Xbox feels next gen with features like quick resume and VRR being enabled day one, 120 hz bc etc but man...not having one major first party game for launch was just unacceptable. I’ll let em off if they have a strong end to the year though.

elliot5

EDIT just to clarify not laughing at the notion its true. Laughing at the fact in order to defend Xtrash you have to say "Well I can play OG Xbox games on the Xtrash and PS can't play PS3 games"

the whole console warring and xtrash thing you've got going on is a little childish. Got nothing better to do?

PhaseJump

Banned

The edge Xbox will have is high performance, and it will be clearer when the games roll out.

Both consoles are far from trash. PS4 first party output slowed to a crawl in the last few years, it's showing up on PS5. Xbox barely had any and what it did have got delayed. They ramped up acquisitions and now have an insane amount of content coming.

Being a console warrior over this gameless launch window is stupid. Both platforms are disappointing and the pandemic is dragging it out. Let's not bullshit ourselves.

Why do you Sony warriors always post the most embarrassing stuff. The Tokyo typhoon dude, the Twitter dev harasser and now the peepee poopoo duo.
Cause we want you to feel better about blindly standing by a pile of trash console. Without delusion you can't justify doing so, so we give you some funny posts to help you out and tell yourself "i'd never wanna be like THOSE PS guys". You're welcome.

The edge Xbox will have is high performance, and it will be clearer when the games roll out.

Both consoles are far from trash. PS4 first party output slowed to a crawl in the last few years, it's showing up on PS5. Xbox barely had any and what it did have got delayed. They ramped up acquisitions and now have an insane amount of content coming.

Being a console warrior over this gameless launch window is stupid. Both platforms are disappointing and the pandemic is dragging it out. Let's not bullshit ourselves.
What games? Ya'll over there letting the console collect dust, wondering how tf The Medium is your only game 6 months is. Sony eating, as always.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Cause we want you to feel better about blindly standing by a pile of trash console. Without delusion you can't justify doing so, so we give you some funny posts to help you out and tell yourself "i'd never wanna be like THOSE PS guys". You're welcome.
I want to say something like « you can do better than that » but I’m not sure you can at this point. I really hope you are young and can fix yourself somehow but I remember another embarrassment of a Sony warrior who was like 50 or something.

Bazookaxp

I have both and get way more play out of my xbox. Playstation 5 was for spiderman and to finish us last of us 2. Now it's collecting dust. Also I love that all these fanboys throw away their games when new systems come out and don't play updated titles lol.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Can't be a serious post 🤔 if it is then you've got problems buddy.
It seems like a reasonable opinion.

Xbox Series needs some next gen games with features that aren't on the Xbox One. Otherwise calling it a One X Pro is spot on.

PS5 has games that show off the new haptics, games with no loading and much improved audio, all of which is not available on their previous console.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Games look good on both systems, but games have been looking good on PC since forever.

The real separator is the dual sense controller. It really makes Ps5 games feel next level.

It was a very sad moment when I went back to playing Ps4 games after playing on a friend's Ps5 for a few hours.

Top Bottom