• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: PlayStation 5 vs. Xbox Series X: 6 Months Later

Chukhopops

All this talk about the « far superior controller » and yet:
IscsdY4.jpg

D67QP65.jpg

Build quality, fundamentals and ergonomics > gimmicks, mushy buttons and bad stick placement. And this remains true even in places that are Sony-dominated.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
And for most people neither has yet to have any games. List warriors will do you little good. The fact you listed Guilty Gear just shows your one of the boiz projecting your war behavior over the general population.

Both consoles are selling out so this mentality doesn't really work anyway.

I’m buying Strive and it’s not available on S|X and I’m sure as hell ready for a new fighting game since after 3 years and over 300 hours I’m finally burned out on Dragon Ball Fighterz and Street Fighter V. The best the Xbox has for a fighter is Killer Instinct which is just a joke in terms of mechanics since you can combo break everything and trap your opponent into a touch of death combo or people rage quit the moment you activate an ultra combo, no thanks.

kyoji

People really in this thread trying to downplay ps5 1st several months or say its on par with the other console eh? you must be some kind of miserable to do that. Look, everything is opinion at the end of the day but comparatively speaking its not close, not right now at least. Thankfully gaf isnt the whole equation and people vote with there dollars, thats why PS has been market share leader in the past and will be vs the series this gen too, you can already see the writing on the wall but people will deny it ofc and thats fine too, but you cant argue hard data. No matter how you slice the apple Ps5 is what people prefer, the sooner you come to terms with this the better you will feel about your purchase of choice ;)

Hezekiah

Banned
Dude you're high on hopium.

Yea except in that’s still not true with most games that have a native ps5 and series x port. Frankly most do better on ps5. If there ever is a consistent difference the ps5 will still win out so long as devs continue making use of the dual sense the ps5s audio tech, compared to tiny dynamic resolution differences that get up scaled to near unnoticeable differences anyway. Plus the series s will likely hold this gen back long term anyway so long as Microsoft forces it on devs.

The first bit is a quote from S Shelookdlvl18 , the 40% bit I tacked on. I think this person might actually be Colt Eastwood 😄. Just been banned aswell 😁.

Totally agree about the Series S holding things back - not even a true next gen machine and just a horrible idea.

Last edited:
People really in this thread trying to downplay ps5 1st several months or say its on par with the other console eh? you must be some kind of miserable to do that. Look, everything is opinion at the end of the day but comparatively speaking its not close, not right now at least. Thankfully gaf isnt the whole equation and people vote with there dollars, thats why PS has been market share leader in the past and will be vs the series this gen too, you can already see the writing on the wall but people will deny it ofc and thats fine too, but you cant argue hard data. No matter how you slice the apple Ps5 is what people prefer, the sooner you come to terms with this the better you will feel about your purchase of choice ;)
If you look at the majority of the posts in this thread starting from the beginning people are far more caustic and negative on the XSX|S than the PS5. If anyone appears insecure it is PS5 owners which is pretty odd since so many of them feel it is the best console ever created. The people who were banned all made unfair jabs at the Xbox. Banjo64 Banjo64 made a nice listing.

The Sony is the market leader predominately because MS made huge mistakes last generation and Sony stuck with the tried and true and kept releasing quality games. That is good on Sony and bad on MS but this is a new generation and both have their own lanes when it comes to delivering games. The PS5 'believes in generations' and looks to move to new hardware. MS stated, and was ridiculed for, 'not believing in generations' and wanted to provide support to people who bought the X1, PC, and even mobile phones. The XSS is a budget option for people who don't want to spend more than $400 for a entry way into the current gen. MS has pushed Game pass as an option for people who might not want to pay $70 for a single new release. Neither is right or wrong just different. For all the flak MS gets for Game pass from certain people here about 'renting' games, MS has done far more in preserving ownership of past purchases. I have a copy of Crimson Skies I bought in the early 2000s. I can pop it in my XSX and it will still play. I can't put ANY PS1 title in my PS5 and play it. That is interesting to see when the narrative is that MS doesn't want people to own their games.

I think we can all agree that Ratchet and Clank looks 'next gen' but outside of that I haven't seen any games from either company that is 'next gen'. I HAVE seen some next gen features though. The PS5 stuff with the video share and game look up is pretty nifty but I don't use it and it hasn't really been practical. Things like quick resume and FPS boost I have used but mostly because it just works and developers don't have to jump through hoops to get it to work. I have not been a fan of the 'next gen' UI on the PS5 that has less functionality than the PS4 UI. I'm glad they made some adjustments to the friends listing but I still feel like I have to dig to find features that were easy to find on the PS4. Couple that with some of the weird build issues on the PS5 like coil whine, loud fans, and hardware that still doesn't have full functionality and you can see that the PS5 is far from perfect.

If a person is fair they can see the positives with both devices. I am looking forward to seeing how this generation will play out and e3 will play a big role in that. I can appreciate the design choices and philosophies both have taken I just happen to prefer the moves MS has made more recently over Sony mostly because Sony is doing the same thing they have always done since the PS1. MS has been all over the map but they appear to have landed in a good place now. Gone is the Kinect and say what you want about Game pass it is about 'games' and that was the biggest criticism against MS in the past. Pretty sure all companies will be successful this go round. That means everyone wins and that most certainly is a good thing.

Renozokii

The first bit is a quote from S Shelookdlvl18 , the 40% bit I tacked on. I think this person might actually be Colt Eastwood 😄. Just been banned aswell 😁.

Totally agree about the Series S holding things back - not even a true next gen machine and just a horrible idea.
Oh my bad. Yea people keep saying scaled back but consoles always set a standard for what devs can develop around for the generation pc or not. A weaker console they have to keep in mind reduces those standards

Neo_game

I am sure pandemic has played it parts and the console will sell no matter what. But honestly there has been 0 games from Microsoft, Sony has done better job but still I think they need to do more. Hopefully this is the last year for cross gen games.

kyoji

If you look at the majority of the posts in this thread starting from the beginning people are far more caustic and negative on the XSX|S than the PS5. If anyone appears insecure it is PS5 owners which is pretty odd since so many of them feel it is the best console ever created. The people who were banned all made unfair jabs at the Xbox. Banjo64 Banjo64 made a nice listing.

The Sony is the market leader predominately because MS made huge mistakes last generation and Sony stuck with the tried and true and kept releasing quality games. That is good on Sony and bad on MS but this is a new generation and both have their own lanes when it comes to delivering games. The PS5 'believes in generations' and looks to move to new hardware. MS stated, and was ridiculed for, 'not believing in generations' and wanted to provide support to people who bought the X1, PC, and even mobile phones. The XSS is a budget option for people who don't want to spend more than $400 for a entry way into the current gen. MS has pushed Game pass as an option for people who might not want to pay $70 for a single new release. Neither is right or wrong just different. For all the flak MS gets for Game pass from certain people here about 'renting' games, MS has done far more in preserving ownership of past purchases. I have a copy of Crimson Skies I bought in the early 2000s. I can pop it in my XSX and it will still play. I can't put ANY PS1 title in my PS5 and play it. That is interesting to see when the narrative is that MS doesn't want people to own their games.

I think we can all agree that Ratchet and Clank looks 'next gen' but outside of that I haven't seen any games from either company that is 'next gen'. I HAVE seen some next gen features though. The PS5 stuff with the video share and game look up is pretty nifty but I don't use it and it hasn't really been practical. Things like quick resume and FPS boost I have used but mostly because it just works and developers don't have to jump through hoops to get it to work. I have not been a fan of the 'next gen' UI on the PS5 that has less functionality than the PS4 UI. I'm glad they made some adjustments to the friends listing but I still feel like I have to dig to find features that were easy to find on the PS4. Couple that with some of the weird build issues on the PS5 like coil whine, loud fans, and hardware that still doesn't have full functionality and you can see that the PS5 is far from perfect.

If a person is fair they can see the positives with both devices. I am looking forward to seeing how this generation will play out and e3 will play a big role in that. I can appreciate the design choices and philosophies both have taken I just happen to prefer the moves MS has made more recently over Sony mostly because Sony is doing the same thing they have always done since the PS1. MS has been all over the map but they appear to have landed in a good place now. Gone is the Kinect and say what you want about Game pass it is about 'games' and that was the biggest criticism against MS in the past. Pretty sure all companies will be successful this go round. That means everyone wins and that most certainly is a good thing.
always excuses man, im not here to debate. data supports any arguement youd like to spin, id like to hope xbox is improving but theres a real issue with rewarding these companys before actually making any accomplishments. we can also pretend that MS is the only one that has made mistakes like sony hasnt or nintendo... the difference is accountability. I could sit here and talk about how playstation 3 launched at a bloated price point on top of launching an entire year later like some of you like to point to xbox ones mistakes.

When playstation is selling 2.5 to 1 this gen the excuse will be supply constraint, like it didnt effect everyone instead of looking into the real issues.

If you are one of those people that prefer to eat at a buffet, then SeriesX/S is for you. If you want fine-dining, Michelin star quality, then get a PS5.

That's dumb and reductive. There are tons of great games on GamePass. What have you spent the most time.playing on your PS5? If you even have one.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I’m buying Strive and it’s not available on S|X and I’m sure as hell ready for a new fighting game since after 3 years and over 300 hours I’m finally burned out on Dragon Ball Fighterz and Street Fighter V. The best the Xbox has for a fighter is Killer Instinct which is just a joke in terms of mechanics since you can combo break everything and trap your opponent into a touch of death combo or people rage quit the moment you activate an ultra combo, no thanks.
Guilty Gear Strive looks so good! Final Fantasy Intergrade, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and Guilty Gear Strive all come out June 10th - June 11th 🤯

Jaysen

Banned
PS5 is the best console in every department, it's not even funny at this point.

Miss those days when there was true competition between gaming brands.
Every department? Like expandable memory? Available built in memory? App support? BC? Build quality? Controller battery life? Services?

PS5 has a ton of advantages, but saying it leads in every department is the product of a stupid mind. A fanboy mind.

Anything which help create a more immersive experience is ok with me.

Weird that innovative features get constantly downplayed on here.
So true! You should hear what people say about quick resume. I guess people don't like features that their console doesn't have.

elliot5

DualSense controller is fine in terms of shape and all that. I do wish the adaptive triggers and haptics were on the Xbox controller, too, for feature parity. They're quite good.

I view the touchpad as a completely failed gimmick. the dualsense features are "gimmicks" but not bad ones.

SSfox

Every department? Like expandable memory? Available built in memory? App support? BC? Build quality? Controller battery life? Services?

PS5 has a ton of advantages, but saying it leads in every department is the product of a stupid mind. A fanboy mind.
All what you mentioned outside of BC is pointless when we talk in concrete way. Memory isn't an advantage since PS5's is much faster, also games weight are less in PS5 so.

I agree about BC, still tho most games i want to play via BC are only Playstation123 and never released on Xbox, so.

Cheer on bans… They are long fucking overdue for some people on here.

Call out my hypocrisy all you want. But better yet, go into my post history and put something up of me cheering on the Xbox fanboys in Sony threads. I’ll wait.

Don’t worry though, your brethren will be back soon. You will have to fight on with less support for a bit.

I did not once say you cheer on Xbox fans did I? Either you didn’t read what I said or are deflecting.
If you’re gonna complain about neogaf, Sony fans and cry for mods to ban people at least apply that same standard across the board ie to the many vocal Xbox trolls as well. But you don’t. Why is that?

My brethren... how childish will you sink?

Umbasaborne

Banned
Playstation has new exclusive games, xbox doesn’t, xbox has a power advantage. I own both, and i use them pretty regularly, im not terribly unhappy with either one

Indyblue

I’ll say this - as a Switch/PS4 owner, I haven’t felt the need to get either console and I’ve decided to just sit back for a bit and see how things play out. But this is saying something for the Xbox because 8-10 months ago, I was going to buy a ps5 without a second thought.

bender

What time is it?
I’ll say this - as a Switch/PS4 owner, I haven’t felt the need to get either console and I’ve decided to just sit back for a bit and see how things play out. But this is saying something for the Xbox because 8-10 months ago, I was going to buy a ps5 without a second thought.

Gamepass makes Xbox pretty great. My buddy got an S and we've been doing a gaming session once a week with co-op games that we were interested in but probably never would have purchased.

Chukhopops

Now a controller with less features it's superior because Xbox fans voted it in a poll.
Oh God Seriously GIF by The Steve Wilkos Show
There’s no magic in engineering, you have a set budget and you choose what you focus on. Is it the d-pad? Is it the buttons? Is it the general sturdy feel of the controller? Or is it a touchpad and a speaker that goes zwoop zwoop? Having used both controllers I definitely know which d-pad I want to use in the future when I play a platformer.

Preferences are ok though, just pointing out where the general sentiment is.

Also you don’t want to look at the poll that asks which console is the ugliest.

Last edited:

Jebron

There’s no magic in engineering, you have a set budget and you choose what you focus on. Is it the d-pad? Is it the buttons? Is it the general sturdy feel of the controller? Or is it a touchpad and a speaker that goes zwoop zwoop? Having used both controllers I definitely know which d-pad I want to use in the future when I play a platformer.

Preferences are ok though, just pointing out where the general sentiment is.

Also you don’t want to look at the poll that asks which console is the ugliest.
Controller preferences are a very subjective thing. In both those polls it was near 50/50, so why belittle people who stated their preference was the DualSense? Just as many people have also said they prefer the Series X controller.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

I'm not even sure what has happend in here, but umm hi fellow gaming nerds.... umm yeah....

I'll keep playing my PS5 untill games I want come out for my SeX, then I'll play those games....

osYlIUr.gif

Poor kid just wanted to play Destiny 2 and the cat was helping her stay the path of rehab.

chaseroni

Been playing my Xbox Series X more, I've been really into their rewards program its incentivizing checking out games I've backlogged, like RE 7.
The most fun I've had on PS5 is Astros, I want to get Returnal but trying to pace myself and knock out more backlogged titles.
Overall pretty satisfied with this generation so far. I still really want VRR and M.2 storage on PS5 though.

I'm not even sure what has happend in here, but umm hi fellow gaming nerds.... umm yeah....

I'll keep playing my PS5 untill games I want come out for my SeX, then I'll play those games....

osYlIUr.gif

Poor kid just wanted to play Destiny 2 and the cat was helping her stay the path of rehab.
heh, the brat deserved it, probably a Nintendo fan (*runs*)

keram

A controller with less gimmicks.
But wait a second, the xbox controller has already the "impulse trigger" for years now, which is a pretty cool feature imo e.g. in ForzaMotorsport you feel a kind of resistance on the trigger.

I know it's not the same as "adaptive trigger" and not so immersive, but still it's there ...

Thanks.
There is a girl in that pic too... my wife is already on 5th month.

Congrats on the new edition to your family! We just had another girl in February. The nice thing for you all is that COVID seems be be slowing down so you may have a normal delivery experience.

With respect to the topic, I believe that Sony has done a pretty good job getting new games out there. The launch was a bit disappointing, but Returnal is great and R&C looks phenomenal! I give them props considering this past year. My Series X has been great for BC and playing games at 120 FPS. I think Sony has the better product, but I hope MS starts to deliver some games threw their acquired studios. I’m excited to play FPS games on Series X over PS5. I have GP through deals, but it’s not the biggest attraction to me. Overall, I’m happy owning both this gen. It’s the first time I’ve felt the need since the OG Xbox.

Top Bottom